Yummy Coconut Flour Banana Bread (not too eggy!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-27-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually don't love coconut flour baked goods b/c I feel like they taste and feel too eggy--almost like quiche. Tonight I took a coconut bread recipe and altered it by adding bananas in place of some of the eggs and coconut oil, which resulted in a delicious banana bread that I loved. It was not dry at all, but was not overly moist or eggy. I just wanted to share the recipe! I think it will work well w/ other fruit/veggie purees (I'm thinking of pumpkin bread, and maybe an apple cinnamon bread w/ apple sauce instead of bananas...YUMMY!)

Coconut Banana Bread

4 eggs
2 bananas (mashed)
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 TBS honey, or a pinch of stevia--optional
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup coconut flour
cinnamon (maybe 1 tsp?? I just shook it in!)
chopped walnuts (optional--I didn't add any but want to next time!)

Blend eggs, bananas, and coconut oil (make sure coconut oil is not too hot or it will cook the eggs!). Mix the dry ingredients, then blend w/ the wet.

Put into a greased bread pan, and bake on 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Sooooooo good...we ate half of the loaf tonight! Hope you enjoy!

ETA: If you have not baked w/ coconut flour b/4, or are not gluten free and are used to typical, wheat filled banana bread, this *might* dissapoint?? I've been gluten free for so long I can't really remember what regular banana bread tastes like, but as a gf option (and grain free, and free of added sweetners but still sweet enough, and really TF as well!) I think this was divine!
Meradith Fraser likes this.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#2 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM

MMMM! Sounds good! Will have to try that out- I am desperate for some good banana or pumpkin bread that is some resemblance of healthy.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#3 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM

I modified the Tropical Traditions Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake recipe with these ingredients instead to make a chocolate banana bread and its very yummy. Hmm, it calls for a lot of eggs, but honestly I don't even taste the eggs, lol. I've made this several times and have tried some variations:

1 cup butter - softened (raw grass-fed butter if possible)
4 ripe bananas (instead of sugar)
10 eggs (at room temperature)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups coconut flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda (aluminum-free)
½ teaspoon baking powder (aluminum-free)
1 teaspoon salt (Celtic sea salt)
1 1/3 cup whole-milk cream-top yogurt (instead of milk)
Coconut oil (for greasing the pans)

Combine all the wet ingredients except for the yogurt (or milk). Combine all the dry ingredients separately. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, alternating with the yogurt (or milk) and mix all thoroughly for several minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for about 32 minutes.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#4 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
I usually don't love coconut flour baked goods b/c I feel like they taste and feel too eggy--almost like quiche. Tonight I took a coconut bread recipe and altered it by adding bananas in place of some of the eggs and coconut oil, which resulted in a delicious banana bread that I loved. It was not dry at all, but was not overly moist or eggy. I just wanted to share the recipe! I think it will work well w/ other fruit/veggie purees (I'm thinking of pumpkin bread, and maybe an apple cinnamon bread w/ apple sauce instead of bananas...YUMMY!)

Coconut Banana Bread

4 eggs (separated)
2 bananas (mashed)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup coconut flour
cinnamon (maybe 1 tsp?? I just shook it in!)
chopped walnuts (optional--I didn't add any but want to next time!)

Whisk or blend the egg whites until small peaks form.

In another bowl blend the egg yolks, bananas, and the dry ingredients. Add the egg whites (I used a hand mixer but tried to keep it on low and did minimal mixing so as not to get all the air out of the whites--I hoped it might make the bread lighter/rise a bit higher--not sure it made a difference just fyi!)

Put into a greased bread pan, and bake on 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Sooooooo good...we ate half of the loaf tonight! Hope you enjoy!

ETA: If you have not baked w/ coconut flour b/4, or are not gluten free and are used to typical, wheat filled banana bread, this *might* dissapoint?? I've been gluten free for so long I can't really remember what regular banana bread tastes like, but as a gf option (and grain free, and free of added sweetners but still sweet enough, and really TF as well!) I think this was divine!
MMMM! Ok, so how would you do a pumpkin bread? My husband would LOVE some pumpkin bread!
#5 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...This is what I'm going to try, I think. It's totally untested though, so do what you think!

Coconut Pumpkin Bread

3 or 4 eggs
1-1.5 cup pumpkin
2-3 tbs. honey (or other liquid sweetner)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cloves--or maybe 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (if you use that instead)?? I need to think more on the amounts...
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 to 1 cup coconut flour--see how moist/dry it is and add if needed?
enjoy life chocolate chips (maybe 1/2 cup? I LOVE chocolate chips in pumpkin bread!)

I'd recommend tasting it b/4 baking to make sure the sweetness and spices feel like a good balance--if you don't mind eating raw egg! Once I try it and like it, I'll pass along the recipe.

Also, eating some of the leftover banana bread from last night, it wasn't extremely banana-y--very mild. My mom loved it though, and she is not TF or allergen free, so hopefully others will like it as well! You could probably add 1 tbs honey to the banana bread if you like it sweeter, although I liked it w/ just bananas sweetening it...

HTH! Let us know if you try it, and how it comes out!

I traditional foods
#6 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
I modified the Tropical Traditions Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake recipe with these ingredients instead to make a chocolate banana bread and its very yummy.
Mmmm. I just made a chocolate-banana pudding using chia seeds and it was pretty tasty. (Have you seen this? Too cool!)

Chocolate and bananas taste yummy together...

I traditional foods
#7 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...This is what I'm going to try, I think. It's totally untested though, so do what you think!

Coconut Pumpkin Bread

3 or 4 eggs
1-1.5 cup pumpkin
2-3 tbs. honey (or other liquid sweetner)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cloves--or maybe 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (if you use that instead)?? I need to think more on the amounts...
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 to 1 cup coconut flour--see how moist/dry it is and add if needed?
enjoy life chocolate chips (maybe 1/2 cup? I LOVE chocolate chips in pumpkin bread!)

I'd recommend tasting it b/4 baking to make sure the sweetness and spices feel like a good balance--if you don't mind eating raw egg! Once I try it and like it, I'll pass along the recipe.

Also, eating some of the leftover banana bread from last night, it wasn't extremely banana-y--very mild. My mom loved it though, and she is not TF or allergen free, so hopefully others will like it as well! You could probably add 1 tbs honey to the banana bread if you like it sweeter, although I liked it w/ just bananas sweetening it...

HTH! Let us know if you try it, and how it comes out!
MMM! Sounds so tasty! Don't ave any eggs at the moment so I can't try it out, but if you do, let us know!!! I would LOVE to have some!!!
#8 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

I found this recipe for Pumpkin Bread on this site. I believe it's from Bruce Fife's book, and read on a couple forums it is delicious. I thought I'd post it as well...

Quote:
Pumpkin Bread
1/2c canned pumpkin
8 eggs
1/2c butter or coconut oil melted
1/2c sucanat or brown sugar
1t vanilla
1 1/2t ground cinnamon
1/2t ground mace
1/2t salt
3/4c sifted coconut flour
1t baking powder
1/2c chopped pecans or walnuts

Blend the 1st 8 ingredients together. Combine flour and baking powder and wisk into the batter till there are no lumps. Add nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 60 min.

I traditional foods
#9 of 28 Old 09-29-2009, 04:32 PM

I made the one you suggested earlier (less eggs and sugar ) and it is YUMMY! It is pretty dense and moist, but VERY good! Thank you!
#10 of 28 Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

How many eggs did you use? How much pumpkin? How much honey? Would you use less wet ingredients next time (is it TOO moist)?

Was it sweet enough (or too sweet?)

I can't wait to try it now!

I traditional foods
#11 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I found this recipe for Pumpkin Bread on this site. I believe it's from Bruce Fife's book, and read on a couple forums it is delicious. I thought I'd post it as well...
Pumpkin Bread
1/2c canned pumpkin
8 eggs
1/2c butter or coconut oil melted
1/2c sucanat or brown sugar
1t vanilla
1 1/2t ground cinnamon
1/2t ground mace
1/2t salt
3/4c sifted coconut flour
1t baking powder
1/2c chopped pecans or walnuts

Blend the 1st 8 ingredients together. Combine flour and baking powder and wisk into the batter till there are no lumps. Add nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 60 min.
I made this last night because I had and extra 1/2 cup of pumpkin in needed to use. It had great flavor but, it was definitely eggy. I don't mind eggy but, this was definitely quiche like. I also didn't bake it in a loaf pan, I baked it in an 8 x 8 baking dish. I think this will be fantastic for breakfast
#12 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I made this last night because I had and extra 1/2 cup of pumpkin in needed to use. It had great flavor but, it was definitely eggy. I don't mind eggy but, this was definitely quiche like.
This is my 'deal' w/ coconut flour recipes I've found--I feel like they are just too eggy (for me). I'm going to try the pumpkin bread recipe we've been talking about (not the one from Fife's book) when I get some pumpkin this weekend...

It seems like the extra eggs are in the recipes to be absorbed by the (super absorbant) coconut flour, and not really necessary as binders. I think replacing the eggs w/ other liquids/purees (things that usually replace fat in recipes including fruit/veggie purees) will work...it's just experimenting to see what the ratios should be...I really liked the taste and texture of the banana bread recipe posted, so I'm going to try and go off of that w/ some more experimentation...

I traditional foods
#13 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 PM

I'm going to try the bananas too. I didn't have any last night so I went witht he pumpkin bread with more eggs. It's good but, more of a breakfast quiche as opposed to an actual bread.

I'm going to try your original recipe tonight after I get some bananas.
#14 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
How many eggs did you use? How much pumpkin? How much honey? Would you use less wet ingredients next time (is it TOO moist)?

Was it sweet enough (or too sweet?)

I can't wait to try it now!
I used 4 eggs thinking that I would need more because of I am at 4,000ft. But I don't think it was necessary afterall. It was kinda too moist, but I really liked it, if that makes sense... I used about a heaping 1/8 c. honey and it was just sweet enough for us (especially with the chocolate chips )
I used about 3/4 of a can of pumpkin (the smaller cans). Can't wait to make it again (it is already gone!!) but am gonna wait til closer to the holidays! YUM!
If you alter it again, lemme know! I wanna see how your comes out!
#15 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Do you think these recipes would work as muffins?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#16 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you stilllearning for the specifics! I will totally try it w/ 3 eggs and see how it works.

And lil_earthmomma, I think they will totally work as muffins, but just fyi, every time I've made any coconut flour goods into muffins the bottoms look burned (but don't taste it). IDK--I'm still new at coconut flour, and it is kind of an art of it's own I think...Of course cooking time would be less...Please post w/ your results if you make something!

Amcal, you may want to add a little sweetner if you like it sweeter, and maybe some nuts--it tasted a little less sweet/banana bread-y the next day.

And just fyi all of you, I have relatively no experience baking except gluten free, and can't really even remember what 'regular' baked goods taste like, so my opinion of what is yummy and what is not might be a little...different.

So excited to find a less eggy way of making coconut flour baked goods!!!

I traditional foods
#17 of 28 Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Can't wait to try these recipes!
#18 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I made the pumpkin bread w/ 3 eggs and 1.5 c pumpkin--I don't think the 3 eggs were enough to bind it--it came out mushy and not so good. So next time I'll try 4 eggs and maybe just 1 c of pumpkin to balance out the wet/dry. And for my taste buds, we might add 1/4 c of honey.

Just wanted to share in case anyone tries it out!

I traditional foods
#19 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I made the pumpkin bread w/ 3 eggs and 1.5 c pumpkin--I don't think the 3 eggs were enough to bind it--it came out mushy and not so good. So next time I'll try 4 eggs and maybe just 1 c of pumpkin to balance out the wet/dry. And for my taste buds, we might add 1/4 c of honey.

Just wanted to share in case anyone tries it out!
Yeah, mine came out mushy too, but I thught that was from too much eggs... ooops. Although we still devoured it!
#20 of 28 Old 10-04-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think I got some sort of email from someone here about the bananas--whether or not they could be fresh when making the banana bread--mine were fresh--pretty ripe as well--and I just mashed them.

Sorry--I totally am still a newbie to this amazing MDC technology, or I would have emailed back!

I traditional foods
#21 of 28 Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 PM

this sounds delicious. I have to bake today and I'm certainly going to be trying this one out!
#22 of 28 Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM

If I want to substitute baked pumpkin for the banana, how much pumpkin do you think I'll need?

Thanks!!
#23 of 28 Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know--a couple of us tried it w/ varying (poor ) results. If I were you, I might look at Bruce Fife's pumpkin bread recipe (it's posted earlier in this thread) and try to sub from there...You may need more eggs w/ pumpkin...

Sorry! I'm really not that experienced in baking--all I've learned has been in the past year+ from baking gf foods for my son...

Let us know what you do and how it works out!

I traditional foods
#24 of 28 Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 AM

Thanks! I'll try Fife's recipe and let you know how it goes!
#25 of 28 Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM

I made this today, but instead of using a bread pan, I used a brownie pan that I got for Christmas. I used stevia to sweeten, no cinnamon and dark chocolate chips. It was wonderful! They weren't eggy at all, which is the biggest problem I have with paleo baking. Thanks for the recipe! :)

#26 of 28 Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 AM

I just made this recipe with my kids, FairyRae and you are right-- it's DELICIOUS!  Going gluten-free has been a real challenge for me because I could never get the right consistency for flours to make any kind of breads or muffins.  I tried this one and EVERYONE loves it!  I did add 1 tablespoon of cocoa instead of cinnamon because I wanted to see how that would taste and it worked out very well!  Thank you so much for posting this recipe!  I am no longer afraid of baking!

1 dh luxlove.gif Scott, a 12 year old blowkiss.gifdaughter Brittanny, a 5 year old joy.gifdaughter Olivia, 1 angel.gif named Gunnar, 1 angel.gif named Zoey, 1 cat.gif Onyx, and 1 dog2.gifSport.  Love crochetsmilie.gif,treehugger.gif, namaste.gif,morning caffix.gif,afternoon teapot2.GIF and read.gif. Hate doing the dishes.gif and hang.gif.

#27 of 28 Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Subbing

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#28 of 28 Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Subbing

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page