Non-dairy yogurt thickened w/ chia seeds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since learning about chia seed pudding, and what a quick and easy thickener it can be (and so full of protein!) I've been thinking about chia seed thickened non-dairy yogurt...

I saw this blogpost, about making an instant yogurt w/ chia seeds and nutmilk, and am inspired...

I'm thinking to try this with coconut milk, chia seeds, and a non-dairy probiotic capsule, and put it all in my yogurt maker overnight to see what happens. Or I might make the coconut milk yogurt first, then blend in the chia seeds and let it all solidify/gel in the fridge...(I've made coco-yo multiple times just using a probiotic capsule w/ canned coconut milk and a tiny bit of sugar or other sweetner and it's worked well, as long as I let it sit for a/b 24 hours in a warm place.)

What would you all do? Any other non-dairy ideas/methods of having thick homemade yogurt are welcome!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#2 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ooo--I want to try making chia seed jelly!

I traditional foods
#3 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM

Way too cool! I am going to have to try that out! I already have df yogurt starter! I would love an easy peasy method of making it. Just having to make sure to watch it so I don't grow the bad bugs as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM

My mom's tried this one from Kathy's Recipe box (I think Kathy is a MDC member) and it was fantastic! We actually found it was better with Wilderness Family Naturals' coconut milk powder (reconstituted) than it was with canned coconut milk. Soooo tasty!
#5 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

It totally worked!

I made the coconut milk yogurt using this method, without adding the gelatin. I used one can of coconut milk, full fat. (I used one non-dairy probiotic capsule b/c I don't have the yogurt starter, and it has worked for me in the past, and worked fine this time as well. I don't know how 'safe' it is, I'm kind of wild when I'm experimenting w/ cooking )

After a/b 24 hours of incubating I took the jar of (liquidy) yogurt out of my little yogurt maker, and added 2 TBS chia seeds. I let it sit for an hour, then put it in my blender w/ some vanilla extract, raw honey, and added some frozen strawberries. Then I put it all in the fridge for a few hours to help the gel set a bit more.

SOOOO yummy! You can feel the little seeds, so adding the strawberries (which also have seeds) made it taste more 'normal' to me--you kind of expect seeds in strawberry yogurt, you know? Totally delicious, and from what I'm reading, more nutritious than yogurts I've made in the past! I can't taste any extra chia seed flavor--just yummy cocoyo goodness!

I might add another TBS of chia seedsnext time to make it a little thicker...I'll update when I try it again!

And thanks for posting Kathy's recipe, I'll have to try that sometime too!

I traditional foods
#6 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Cool! Thanks for the update! That is the method I always use for making coco-yo as well- to me it has turned out the best of what I had tried. Now, I just need some coco milk!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome crunchy_mama! Would you mind sharing your recipe/measurements for your yogurt? I'd love to hear what others have done--I only found one link online about it (posted above) and would love to read more!

Chia seeds are a new favorite here!

I traditional foods
#8 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a/b 24 hours since I made the chia-thickened yogurt, and today it has an odd aftertaste (which I noticed when I made the chia seed pudding as well...)

Not sure if it's the chia seeds or perhaps the coconut milk (I used it for both), although I'm thinking the chia seeds as it's a taste I haven't noticed before...

Sorry folks! I don't think it tastes nearly as good after a day has gone by! I'll definitely try Kathy's recipe though...

I traditional foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page