Punch! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else gotten tipsy off of NT's Punch recipe? I've been calling it my hard lemonade! I'm a bit tipsy right now (i'm a lightweight and never drink)

Please tell me this is healthy!!
#2 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Haven't tried it but now I want to, lol.
#3 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
Haven't tried it but now I want to, lol.
Me too!

I get a little kick from fermented drinks as well--usually juice kefir (has happened w/ kombucha as well). I actually brought a jug of apple juice kefir to a party once and used it as my coctail for the night...

Fermentation *is* how most (all?) alcoholic drinks are made I believe. I haven't looked at the punch recipe, but fermenting things w/ fruit/fruit juices leads things to become slightly alcoholic more quickly (IME). I feel it's totally healthy, (as long as you're not a recovering alcoholic who might 'fall off the wagon') and the alcohol content is really most likely very very low. It's probably just those of us w/ low tolerances that will get a real *kick* out of this stuff. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#4 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 PM

A fellow TF blogger has done some rather extensive testing on Water Kefir, and found that , just like Kombucha and the ginger bug, it never measure's higher then .65%. You would have to drink a huge amount, for that to have any effect.

I am guessing you are feeling more the live culture/probiotics that are having their say with your body.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#5 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
A fellow TF blogger has done some rather extensive testing on Water Kefir, and found that , just like Kombucha and the ginger bug, it never measure's higher then .65%. You would have to drink a huge amount, for that to have any effect.

I am guessing you are feeling more the live culture/probiotics that are having their say with your body.
Exactly. You'd have to ferment a pretty long time for it to turn alcoholic. But I'm all for moonshine.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#6 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 PM

I made the Raspberry Drink, and loved it. I didn't get any kicks though.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#7 of 8 Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I'm sure the kicks I get are hugely mental--just the taste of something that *reminds* me of alcohol...I must have a sense-memory issue happening there...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#8 of 8 Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow, interesting!! I had no idea that it was so low in alcohol. I definitely felt.. something last night. I didn't know that the probiotics could make me feel that way..! Why does that happen??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page