Best Fermented CLO Flavor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: BEST Flavor of Fermented Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil?
Arctic Mint 0 0%
Chocolate Cream 1 2.94%
Cinnamon Tingle 12 35.29%
plain, unflavored 8 23.53%
Fruit Attack 1 2.94%
Mediterranean 1 2.94%
Oslo Orange 6 17.65%
Salty Cod 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that the chocolate is disgusting.

I take the capsules because otherwise I just won't take any...

My two year old son likes the plain flavored sometimes... although he used to always like it. Now when he refuses it on the spoon I simply add the 2 ml dose to a few spoonfuls of applesauce in a bowl ... he adds the ground cinnamon ... and it's like the best treat in the world to him. Keep in mind that he has never had applesauce without fclo in it so i guess he expects his applesauce to be fishy.

I'm also curious about the fclo gummy fish -- Has anyone tried them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 AM

I voted for the Oslo orange, although we've only ever had that flavor and the Cinnamon. The Cinnamon I found vile, but the Orange is very mild. My 20-month-old twins lap it up straight off a spoon!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 AM

I like cinnamon tingle. For some reason I couldn't vote. I take it with my coffee in the morning, and it doesn't taste bad at all. I actually take the BO/CLO cinnamon tingle, and I only take a half tsp. of it, which is a serving. I know where I buy it, it's actually cheaper then buying it from the company, and the blend is only $5-6 more then just the CLO. Also, the lady who owns the store where I buy it told me that it's hard to get a thereputic dose of D from the CLO because of the A in it. If you are trying to get your D levels up, I recommend taking a really good D3 supp along with the CLO/BO blend. Here's a link to the one I take and it has worked really well, and is really cheap, and lasts forever. http://www.quantum-natural-health.com/ It's a D3 serum.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Seriously, I reckon they probably just don't taste that good. I've only tried cinnamon and it was gross. I think I'd prefer the unflavored ones because you hear "chocolate" and your mind already conjures up a flavor it's expecting. I'm buying the discounted "Salty Cod" it's fish stuff anyways, why not just go for broke?

signature currently in transition
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 PM

I ordered some of the gummy fish for DS, so I'll report back on those. If DS won't eat them DH says he will. I got some of the orange capsules for myself.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to change my vote. I have tried cinnamon, orange and mint and they were just fine, but we just got a bottle of salty cod and it was not too bad. When I opened the box, my 2 yr old was jumping up and down sayin, "my oil, my oil, yay!!" She had a dose and I asked her if she liked it and I got a solid, "yes".
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 PM

We have now tried orange, cinnamon, and chocolate. I think I like the orange and chocolate the best and then the cinnamon due to the sharper burn from it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 AM

I went ahead and voted for the cinnamon, but it's been a while since we had it. We didn't relish it...I mean, they're all still fishy to me, but it was OK. This last time we got FCLO in "licorice lips" flavor on sale when they discontinued it. It's not horrible, but we took forever to finish it since I'm bad at remembering. Also, I really like that the FCLO dose is so small. I think I can squirt any flavor in the far back of my mouth and chase it...I won't relish it, but I don't gag.

The boys used to love a lemon-lime flavored CLO from Kirkland's and they like the strawberry gelcaps (they chewed them) from NN (I think), but that was before I knew about the synthetic vitamins.

I'm about to order cinnamon liquid FCLO and gummy fish. We'll see on the fish...at least I'll be able to offer them a choice: FCLO or FCLO...do you see the difference?

Does anyone use the butter oil? How do you serve it? On a cracker/cooled sourdough toast? Maybe with a little syrup? My boys sometimes eat Kerrygold butter like cheese so they might just go for it, but I remember it being really hard to serve out of the fridge.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I didn't vote because I've only had the cinnamon. I squirted it right to the back of my throat and didn't taste anything but cinnamon.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 AM

I plan to get the cinnamon when my bottle of gelcaps is almost done. I take the caps at night with juice and have no taste during the night or morning.

I tried my dad's oslo orange in a small glass of OJ and I could taste a little, but it didn't really linger nor did I taste it if I burped later in the day.

I don't think I ever plan to take it straight....8mo DS seems to be getting used to it though (unflavored).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 01-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Alright, I voted. Now I've only had Salty Cod and Cinnamon, but I'm voting on the idea here. I picked Salty Cod. Why? Because it was straight up. Cinnamon was cinnamon AND a hefty dose of fermented fishyness and the tastes just did not jive at all. Salty Cod tastes exactly as you expect - salty fishy fermentedness. No unexpected sliver of hope that is shattering upon tasting. If I get something "cinnamon" flavored my brain thinks cinnamon and is very distressed when it's really just a cinnamon hint in a vat of fermented cod liver oil. I deal much better with salty cod as a "flavor." Too bad they've discontinued it. Heh.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM

The blog at Green Pastures says they are discontinuing the Salty Cod since it's so easy for customers to just add Sea Salt to their serving of Plain. So it's still an option.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM

OK, we got our order with the fermented CLO gummy fish and also a bottle of fermented unflavored.

My boys (4 & 6) and I liked the gummy fish, but they requested that we cut them in half next time as they are 2 inches long and they tried to eat them in one bite. My husband ate one and said, "there are just some things you can't hide and CLO is one of them"

I felt like they had a bit of a fishy flavor, but the cinnamon was seriously strong and I thought they were totally doable!

Next I'll try the plain...maybe salting it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm back to add more commentary about the gummy fish and the plain FCLO in case anyone needs help deciding.

I am *really* happy with the plain FCLO! I thought I would hate it, I really did...after all, why would they make all of the flavors if the plain was OK, right? Well, I have been putting a large crystal of salt on my tongue, squirting the FCLO in the back of my mouth, and then sucking on the salt more. The taste is salty and fishy and as a previous poster said, these things *go together* for me. I don't relish it, but honestly, it's MUCH better than cinnamon CLO, licorice lips FCLO, oslo orange CLO, etc that I've used in the past. My four year old (who loves salt and doesn't really mind CLO in general right now) was very happy with the plain + salt.

As far as the gummy fish...the boys are a bit less enthused today, but they both chose the gummy fish over the liquid. However, the 6yo wanted it in two pieces and the 4yo thought that 5 pieces was more manageable for chewing purposes. They are a bit put off by the gummy texture since it doesn't really feel like any of the 'real foods' we eat. They have commented a lot about how "strong" they are and the 4yo says the cinnamon is a little much for his mouth, but they both love cinnamon and they persevered.

For us, these are two great options and I'm glad to have two such very different choices. (Personally I'll take the liquid because it's over faster...)
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Okay, so I finally voted... cinnamon tingle ALL THE WAY!!! We had HVCLO in oslo orange and I did not take it my WHOLE pregnancy (I know, TERRIBLE!!!!) because I would gag and puke. I did not taste a hint of orange in it. My 2 yr old, on the other hand, drinks it and BEGS for it, so she's cool with the orange one. We just got cinnamon fermented and I took some and all I tasted was cinnamon, and it didn't even SMELL like fish (smell was my main issue I think). SO YAY!! My DD is still finishing up our bottle or orange HVCLO, but I'm hoping she likes cinnamon as well. We shall see. At least I can take it now!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM

I finished by Chocolate gel (ugh) and I am taking Oslo Orange w/dd now. Our bottle is almost gone, I don't mind it terribly but why is there like an inch of solid stuff at the bottom? This stuff is expensive!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM

I thought salty cod was gross but it's way more palatable than fruit attack gel!! So I voted salty cod. Haven't had the others yet. Oh, what is the standard dose? I wonder if I've been taking too much.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Cinnamon was cinnamon AND a hefty dose of fermented fishyness and the tastes just did not jive at all. Salty Cod tastes exactly as you expect - salty fishy fermentedness. No unexpected sliver of hope that is shattering upon tasting. If I get something "cinnamon" flavored my brain thinks cinnamon and is very distressed when it's really just a cinnamon hint in a vat of fermented cod liver oil.
I just wanted to say that I at this! Thanks for the chuckle.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the Salty Cod on sale, and I've been mixing it into tomato juice and drinking it.

I'm surprised at how much I don't mind the taste. It reminds me of sardines in tomato sauce.

But I'm unclear on the dosage. How much are other people taking? The bottle says to take a little less than 1/2 teaspoon, but Fallon says to take 1 teaspoon. ???
Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
I just wanted to say that I at this! Thanks for the chuckle.
I love sharing a chuckle. Salty Cod is honest, man, no way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
I bought the Salty Cod on sale, and I've been mixing it into tomato juice and drinking it.

I'm surprised at how much I don't mind the taste. It reminds me of sardines in tomato sauce.

But I'm unclear on the dosage. How much are other people taking? The bottle says to take a little less than 1/2 teaspoon, but Fallon says to take 1 teaspoon. ???
That's an amazing idea! It would go great in tomato juice... hmmm wonder how it would be in an extra dirty martini... (only half kidding).

I take 2 mls usually and 3 mls during PMS. Not sure how that measures up to a tsp - it says on the little syringe, just that I'm at work and don't have that on here.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
*J*

I just ordered the orange FCLO capsules. I was doing pretty well taking the unflavored in tomato juice, but then I got pregnant... and now I've started gagging when I try to take it. I keep it down, but just barely!
Is there any reason other than price NOT to take the capsules? Obviously price is a big deal, and I'd like to think that I'll be able to go back to the liquid after these babes are born, but for now I feel like I need to take it any way I can get it down, you know? Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't remember!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Success!

So, I've only tried Oslo Orange, which is emulsified. My DH and I get a 1/2 teaspoon down fine in a shot of OJ. Only rarely does DH need a raw milk chaser. Ha!

Two-year-old DS has been doing okay, too, but the OJ method with him is hit and miss, because I do find that I need to dilute the FCLO more...so, sometimes it just does not get consumed in the course of a day. In other words, I cannot rely on him getting the full dosage. And in all honestly, I'd like to minimize the juice intake anyway.

All that said...I think we figured it out today. We recently found "The Greek Gods" honey yogurt at our local co-op, and we love it. It is very thick, creamy and RICH in flavor. Today, I mixed DS's daily dose in an ample but modest serving of the yogurt. And he lurped it up! I am so relieved.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 AM

Man if I had read this thread before ordering my CLO I would have canceled the order. y'all are scaring the daylights outta me!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 03-24-2010, 03:21 PM

capsule is far superior; I will never go back bwhahahaha

User Tag List