Best Fermented CLO Flavor? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: BEST Flavor of Fermented Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil?
Arctic Mint 0 0%
Chocolate Cream 1 2.94%
Cinnamon Tingle 12 35.29%
plain, unflavored 8 23.53%
Fruit Attack 1 2.94%
Mediterranean 1 2.94%
Oslo Orange 6 17.65%
Salty Cod 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or least disgusting?

And as an aside, am I seeing things or is the fermented Blue Ice 3 times as expensive as the old Blue Ice used to be????
#2 of 54 Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM

No idea... but I have four bottles in my pantry for better or for worse: plain, salty cod, cinamon and orange, IIRC. It's going to take us a long time to go through those, so I can't comment on the flavors! We're still finishing a bottle of the old stuff.
#3 of 54 Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Where's the capsule option?

No taste!
#4 of 54 Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM

It actually costs less per dose, because it's more potent, so there are more doses per bottle.

I use unflavored, and I can say that I'm finally getting used to it, after almost a year of gagging.

Mixing it with a few tablespoons of cranberry juice improves the taste mightily.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#5 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Why isn't anyone voting in my poll? Are all the flavors that horrible?

Seriously, though, this is Traditional Foods, right? Do people here still take CLO?
#6 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 AM

Here's the deal. It takes 2 people 3 months to get through one bottle. We are still working on the bottle of chocolate flavor.
Dreaming of the day its gone!!!!
I will be ordering the Oslo Orange when its time for a new bottle, as the way I used to take the plain, was to float it in a bit of oj, and swallow it quick.
Made it more then palatable!
I am sure I would vote for that flavor, but as I have not tried it yet, I must refrain.

I want to see them come up with a sampler set of the flavors. That way, we do nto get stuck with stuff we have to gag down

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#7 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM

I only have the cinnamon tingle sitting in my fridge. It is awful, but *may* be better than some of the others--I just haven't tried any others. My ds WON'T take it at all, so I'm taking it by myself...when I remember (I somehow always put it off to very late at night--"oh, I'll take it later" and then end up thinking "I don't want that taste in the back of my throat all night...I'll take it tomorrow." Terrible, I know! I usually take a double dose when I forget though--hoping that makes up for it!!)

So, I'm not knowledgeable enough to vote on the other flavors--sorry!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#8 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I have only ever had the raw. It tastes pretty awful, but I don't buy it for the taste iykwim. Over the year or so we have taken it, we have got the technique down pat for taking it without really tasting it. Squirt into side of mouth and hold it there, and chase it down immediately with either raw milk or with a raw kefir/egg smoothie.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We get the cinnamon fermented & all of us even like it more than the cinnamon HVCLO. We also prefer cinnamon to orange. We take it straight.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#10 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 PM

I have not been brave enough to get anything but the capsules, and even those gag me a bit if they sit in my mouth more than a split second. For those of you stuck with flavors you can't stand, have you tried getting some empty capsules from a drug store and taking it that way?

9/2011 items decluttered
#11 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 PM

I second the Oslo Orange in OJ. Even the hubby will take it, and he's the pickiest guy I know
#12 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM

We have Chocolate here, too, and it is going to take forever to get through....Definitely trying cinnamon next time.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#13 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
We have Chocolate here, too, and it is going to take forever to get through....Definitely trying cinnamon next time.
We have the gel version of choc., so I just scoop out the dose, split it in half, and swallow it with water or milk.
Its the only way I can get it down.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#14 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM

I just ordered the oslo orange as well, hoping ds will take it in a shot of oj, like he'll do with the non-fermented kind (though as he gets older, he gets pickier!)

I have the fclo/butter oil blend in chocolate cream, and bleh! It is really is horrible, especially if you are expecting something yummy like chocolate cream. I melt it in a shot of hot water, and try to avoid getting any anywhere besides straight down my throat.

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#15 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really, really hate them all. But when I screw up the courage, I take the Cinnamon fermented and then the raspberry butter oil. I really can barely handle it and I end up putting it off and not taking it (and now I'm coming down with something because I'm a wuss and haven't had any Vit D in like a week). Maybe I need to do the capsules. But oohhh the burping.

It's weird- I normally have a VERY strong stomach and I can eat anything I've ever tried (except V8 juice because...ew).

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#16 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 AM

I've never had any, so I cannot vote. However, I am new to this forum and concept. Y'all are scaring me!!!!!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#17 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 PM

I use the chocolate cream butter oil/CLO blend, and I take it with my coffee every morning. It melts in the coffee in my mouth, and helps it not taste so bad. I'm on my second bottle of this, and by taking it this way I've gotten used to the flavor, and it's really not so bad, because the chocolate flavor goes well with my coffee. I pay $40 for a bottle of this, which is only $8 more then what I payed for the old CLO/Butter oil blend. The new stuff does last a lot longer, even though it's more expensive.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#18 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM

I didn't vote because we use the plain CLO/BO blend... But I've never tasted any other flavour!
#19 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM

We had cinammon so far and liked it ok. Getting in orange on Friday and I am excited to try it out. The kids loved the cinnamon, but I wanted to try something different.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#20 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM

I just got the new Celtic Sea Salt catalog today and saw the huge list of flavors, so I came on here to see what everyone had to say. BLECH! They all sound awful except possibly the orange. I'll hold off ordering.

I take the capsules right now without any problem. I take them right before bed with a little juice or tea. If I take them at any other time of day I get some burps, but if I do it before bed I never have any at all.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#21 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Can anyone tell me if you are able to open the capsules and give the inside to a 3 yo somehow? I have a very strong gag reflex and i know that him and I wouldnt be able to do the liquid form. Thanks!

DS 5-11-06
#22 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM

We have had the unflavored, cinnamon tingle, chocolate cream and the fruit attack.

The kids said that the fruit attack burned too much.
The unflavored was passable, but kinda icky.
The chocolate cream is going to take us forever to get through. It's soooo thick that it doesn't mix well with cold drinks and it's a battle to get our 7yo to take it, and our 2yo has taken to dumping hers on the floor rather than even discussing taking it.

The cinnamon tingle has definitely been the best for us. The kids requested their nightly dose when we had that one. Mixed it up with a bit of milk and dash of maple syrup and they thought it was a treat.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
#23 of 54 Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM

Just tried the orange I think it is delicious. Lily(2.5) said it was disgusting and she hated it. Dh was swigging the water afterward, don't think he like it much at all. Luke(5) took without much expression.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#24 of 54 Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 PM

This is a bit scary. I have been debated which flavor to try for my VERY picky family. Right now the girls are taking NN DHA strawberry and they like it. I am not sure how I would get them (or myself for that matter) to take any of these. I really want the whole family to start taking CO and HVBO but I don't want to waste money on stuff no one is going to use.
#25 of 54 Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 AM

I voted for the cinnamon because the plain BO/ FCLO gel wasn't on there. That one wins out over the cinnamon for me. I actually like the taste as does my 15 month old and older kids. They liked the licorice one, too.

The chocolate is the WORST. My kids really gag it.

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#26 of 54 Old 12-23-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else want to vote?

I guess I should order some FCLO. I'm scared.

Can someone explain to me again how the price is not absolutely insane? I used to pay $16 a bottle for the regular Blue Ice. And I would take 1 tsp. I just read on the Weston Price website that Fallon is still recommending taking 1 tsp of the FCLO.

Where's the cheapest place to get the FCLO?

Also, I don't get the liquid vs. gel thing...which is better?
#27 of 54 Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
Anyone else want to vote?

I guess I should order some FCLO. I'm scared.

Can someone explain to me again how the price is not absolutely insane? I used to pay $16 a bottle for the regular Blue Ice. And I would take 1 tsp. I just read on the Weston Price website that Fallon is still recommending taking 1 tsp of the FCLO.

Where's the cheapest place to get the FCLO?

Also, I don't get the liquid vs. gel thing...which is better?
http://www.building-health.com/

as well as Azure Standard.
I don't know what is up with the price, I take 1 tsp of Chocolate gel and dd takes the 2 ml dose of Orange liquid. I get a spoonful and swallow it in one lump and chase with a cup of coffee. It's kind of a big lump to swallow and I don't enjoy it at all but I can do it so I may even order more (of the chocolate) because it is discontinued and on clearance at the Green Pastures website. Dd takes hers in a shot of mango juice and it isn't bad.
I think the gel you need to swallow as a lump so as not to taste it and the liquid can be mixed in some juice so it really depends on how you want to take it.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#28 of 54 Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 AM

As the PP said it looks like the Chocolate Cream as well as Salty Cod are being discontinued because not enough people buy them/rate them highly: http://www.greenpasture.org/community/?q=node/199 But, if you do like it, they are on sale directly from Green Pastures from $22.00 or $27.00: https://www.greenpasture.org/retail/...php?s=products

The Mediterranean flavor is also cheaper than some of the others, $32.00. Has anyone tried that? No one has voted for it in the poll, but the blog there says people like it. The gummy fish sound interesting, does anyone know more about those?
#29 of 54 Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 PM

We have the plain flavored CLO. I ate a ton of salmon while nursing. We laugh as ds likes CLO. I think it tastes horrible, leaves a sandpaper abrasive feeling in the back of my throat.

Ds liked Nordic Naturals peach. But didn't like Carlson's lemon flavor.

Pat

I have a blog.
#30 of 54 Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
As the PP said it looks like the Chocolate Cream as well as Salty Cod are being discontinued because not enough people buy them/rate them highly: http://www.greenpasture.org/community/?q=node/199 But, if you do like it, they are on sale directly from Green Pastures from $22.00 or $27.00: https://www.greenpasture.org/retail/...php?s=products

The Mediterranean flavor is also cheaper than some of the others, $32.00. Has anyone tried that? No one has voted for it in the poll, but the blog there says people like it. The gummy fish sound interesting, does anyone know more about those?
What an amazing deal!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page