Herbal Tea Kefir? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sooo... I'm 29 weeks pregnant now, and thinking I need to kick my butt in gear and start drinking some RRL. And nettles. And I really need to start brewing water kefir again... I want happy probiotics oozing out of every pore. But I'm thinking that's a lot of liquid. I already pee every 5 minutes, or so it seems. I'm wondering if I could somehow combine the two? Basically make sweet tea with the RRL and nettle blend, and then add my water kefir grains. My grains seemed to love lots of minerals... and neither RRL nor nettle are antibacterial. So I don't think they'd kill the happy bacteria.

What do you all think?

I almost don't care what it tastes like, I'll take my medicine if I have to... but I think it'd be pretty good.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#2 of 4 Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 AM

I am not sure if any tea will kill bacteria. The only tea I've tried was green tea in a bottle, bought from a store. The bottled green tea was already sweetened so I didn't have to add sugar. I let it sit for 24 hours and it turned out pretty good. Even my picky husband drank it.

If you worry about losing your grains, try secondary fermentation - add tea into your water kefir (without the grains) and brew for another 24 - 48 hours. In that case, you can drink the tea with probiotic yet not have to worry about losing your precious grains.
#3 of 4 Old 10-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Sooo... I'm 29 weeks pregnant now, and thinking I need to kick my butt in gear and start drinking some RRL. And nettles. And I really need to start brewing water kefir again... I want happy probiotics oozing out of every pore. But I'm thinking that's a lot of liquid. I already pee every 5 minutes, or so it seems. I'm wondering if I could somehow combine the two? Basically make sweet tea with the RRL and nettle blend, and then add my water kefir grains. My grains seemed to love lots of minerals... and neither RRL nor nettle are antibacterial. So I don't think they'd kill the happy bacteria.

What do you all think?

I almost don't care what it tastes like, I'll take my medicine if I have to... but I think it'd be pretty good.
I do this *all* the time. It's the only way I can drink RRL or Nettle Infusions (I do infusions ala Susun Weed so basically a strong infusion). I use the infusion, add in my sweetener, and then my kefir grains. I let that sit for two days, strain, bottle, let sit for two more days and then refrigerate.

It's very tasty and it doesn't seem to have impacted my grains negatively. I'm actually a bit overrun with them at the moment.

Jessica Prentice actually mentions this in her book under the "Wort Moon" section - indicating that this was probably a very traditional way to consume one's herbs. That's where I got the idea from.
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
Jessica Prentice actually mentions this in her book under the "Wort Moon" section - indicating that this was probably a very traditional way to consume one's herbs. That's where I got the idea from.
Proof that it's been entirely too long since I read that book! I'd been reading each "moon" as they happened... for about two years. It was lovely. But the book has been on the shelf for ages now.

Ok, I will get started on it. I have no idea why I have such a mental block against getting my kefir going again. I absolutely LOVED it for a long time... and then started wondering if the sugar was bothering me (but how much could have possibly been left? I often over-brewed until it was quite sour!) And then I just got lazy and my grains died. I've had new ones for about two months now... waiting.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page