1st time brewing Kombucha-tastes like ACV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I just finished my first batch of kombucha and followed the nourishing traditions recipe. I let it ferment the full 10 days and after letting it chill in the fridge it tasted exactly like ACV! I'm not too nuts about it.

Now reading on here I'm seeing that people are letting it sit for another 5 days or so after bottling it. Is that why it tastes like vinegar? Or did I let it ferment too long?

My recipe was 4 Qts water, 1 c. sugar, 6 black tea bags, 1 mushroom, and 1/2c. previous batch.

I also would like to try flavoring it. Could I add in some juice concentrate now? and then let it sit in the fridge a while?

Help! I'm not quite sure what to do.

Thanks Mamas!

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM

I let mine go for only a week. I think at ten days it tastes like ACV too and I don't like it. I don't flavor mine so I can't help there, I LOVE it just the way it is at 7 days (give or take a day/room temp). When I pour some off and it smells sweet but a little acidic and it's got some bubbles it's usually good.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 AM

I think that the NT recipe suggests that you start tasting it after four days. If it is already that vinegary, you might want to go less than ten days next time. It depends on the weather and all kinds of other factors, so testing it is a good idea, at least for the first few batches. It is still good for you, so you can just drink small amounts, or leave it in the fridge and mix a bit of it in your cup with the next batch, or my favorite idea would be to use it as starter, because the more vinegary it is, the better it protects against mold, etc. Also, you can just leave it without a scoby in it, and allow it to go another month or two, and the new scoby that grows will be really great (some website calls it brewing a master race scoby). I don't particularly either mind or like vinegary kombucha, but mostly use it medicinally anyway. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:42 PM

When the temp are colder, it takes over a week to brew. Warmer, under a week.
Just do a another batch, but from here on out, start taste testing around 5-6 days. Use a straw, to poke down the side, and bring up a little from the center of the jar.
If you can, when its ready, bottle it in EZ cap bottles for the second ferment, adding bits of fresh fruit for flavor.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6

User Tag List