Making rice flour - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever do this?? Do I need a mill, or can my food processor handle it? Any help would be great! Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM

I've used a food processor than moved that course ricemeal into a coffee grinder to make it finer. That has worked for me! It will not get as fine as the flour you could buy, but it worked fine for my purposes. You can buy a cheap coffee grinder at a place like walmart for under $20. (Very worthwhile buy imo!)

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#3 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Can you tell me exactly what you did? Just raw rice, in the food processor?? And then the coffee grinder??

I dream of owning a mill one day...
#4 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Just as you described. I've done it w/ br. rice and gf oats. I've also done it w/ grains I sprouted then dehydrated (including buckwheat, quinoa, rice, amaranth, etc...). Worked just fine for me! I also do this w/ seeds to make seed flours as well (pumpking and sunflower and flax--although the flax I throw straight into the coffee grinder). It takes a bit of time to get them all finely ground in a little coffee grinder though.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#5 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

I use my vitamix. I actually have a grain mill, but i HATE using it, too messy and loud and it just doesn't work for me. I like to grind as needed, so I never want to do more than a few cups, and my vitamix takes less than 30 seconds to give me a bowl full of flour. Not sure if you'd need or thought of a high power blender, but i'm selling my grain mill after using it for flour, it's too easy and quick
#6 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I titled the thread "rice flour" but I'm interested in making other flours too.
I'm excited about this! I'm not gf, but we're doing this for dh. I think it might really help him.
I'm off to google to see what a vitamix is.
I'm scared to put this stuff in my food processor...!
#7 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 02:54 PM

We grind our GF flours on an old carona mill. Often you can find them at thrift stores for under 20 bucks. We took the dremel wire brush to ours to try to eliminate any gluten partilcles. It all comes apart in metal pieces similar to a meat grinder. It is SERIOUSLY hard work! We dream of a good mill one day, but in the meantime it does the job... or WE do the job!!! It takes a little over an hour a week... a very sweaty hour!... to grind enough for the week. We have made brown and white rice flour, quinoa, millet,buckwheat, and bean flours ( mmm.... toasted mung bean) with ours. It saves us about 50 dollars or more a month in flour. For example we were buying 10 pounds each of brown and white rice flour per month. That equals about 60 bucks. We can grind our own for about 15 dollars. Plus we get the variety of the other flours that we couldn't usually afford to buy for a fraction of the cost. I think that quinoa flour can go for almost 8 bucks for a one pound bag here.It is a teeny bit grittier than the storebought, but the family quickly got used to it.
When we were really broke I tried the food processer and coffee grinder combo. It worked but took so long... too long when the whole family is GF!!

:
#8 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I use my vitamix. I actually have a grain mill, but i HATE using it, too messy and loud and it just doesn't work for me. I like to grind as needed, so I never want to do more than a few cups, and my vitamix takes less than 30 seconds to give me a bowl full of flour. Not sure if you'd need or thought of a high power blender, but i'm selling my grain mill after using it for flour, it's too easy and quick
I use a Vitamix too. It is my favorite appliance ever. THough very expensive initially, we use it, if not daily, 4-6 times a week.

I just throw the raw, uncooked rice in and blend away. It takes less than 2 minutes. (I swear, I should be a Vitamix salesperson.)

And thank you Lisa Marie. I went back & forth whether to get a mill or the vitamix and decided on the latter b/c of the versatility. I have been very happy, but in the back of my mind wondered if I was missing any "fineness" from a mill grind. Question answered.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#9 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
I use a Vitamix too. It is my favorite appliance ever. THough very expensive initially, we use it, if not daily, 4-6 times a week.

I just throw the raw, uncooked rice in and blend away. It takes less than 2 minutes. (I swear, I should be a Vitamix salesperson.)

And thank you Lisa Marie. I went back & forth whether to get a mill or the vitamix and decided on the latter b/c of the versatility. I have been very happy, but in the back of my mind wondered if I was missing any "fineness" from a mill grind. Question answered.
yep I totally agree. And i bought the nutrimill i think it is, it's in the garage somewhere LOL. It is suppose to be the fastest/quietest (Oh dear GOD it's loud) and do the finest, but it doesn't do cracked grains or coarse AT ALL. I can throw some in the vitamix and pulse a few times and perfect cracked grains every time.

And blender pancakes/waffles!! I should be a salesperson for them too LOL. I literally use mine a dozen times a day. and nothing could be easier to clean.

And on a side note, I NEVER peel fresh tomatoes anymore!! Just throw them in with garlic/herbs and turn on, cook a few minutes and your done.
#10 of 15 Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 AM

A grain mill would be the best for making really fine rice flour. I have tried using my blender and a coffee grinder but the rice flour is never fine enough for making breads. I do use the coffee grinder to make "rice meal" to make short-cut congee. But if I want to make bread I have to use my Retsel grain mill. It grinds the rice grains into real flour, just like what you buy from the store. The only blender that will do a fine enough job is the Vitamix. It's expensive but if you cook a lot, it's a very good tool to have.
#11 of 15 Old 11-05-2009, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Uh oh, I really want a vitamix now.... I love the videos on their website!
#12 of 15 Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 PM

how finely can the vitamix grind the rice? Like, how well compared to rice flour I'd buy at the store? Just wondering - I don't *neeeeed* another appliance, but how do I really know? I mean, if it can grind it just as finely, then... hmmm. maybe I do?

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#13 of 15 Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrumpeter View Post
how finely can the vitamix grind the rice? Like, how well compared to rice flour I'd buy at the store? Just wondering - I don't *neeeeed* another appliance, but how do I really know? I mean, if it can grind it just as finely, then... hmmm. maybe I do?
I've never purchased rice flour, but every grain I have ground has come out (in my eyes) like store bought consistency. I make waffles & muffins w/ rice floour w/vitamix & they are good!

nak

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#14 of 15 Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM

You can get powder fine flour if you want. it's FABULOUS!
#15 of 15 Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Hi, I know this thread might be very old, but just reading through and I feel the need to comment and hope it helps someone.

I'm new to making rice flour, just made my 1st batch tonight. I thought I would need a mill and pay too much for one.

But as it turns out, you can get a Burr Mill for under 40$ at Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart and I was happy with how my brown rice flour

turned out. No need to pay so much for a mill or a vita mix for that matter, you can get a ninja blender for under 100$ at canadian tire.

Some people have returned their vita mix for the ninja to save some money. It does work well:)) A close up of the flour I just made with the Burr Mill.

And a pic of the little beast underneath. A little messy but it's all good:)

006.JPG008.JPG

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page