cathe- the Sourdough Goddess- I have a question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-14-2004, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting interested in making my on sourdough bread. Right now we make our own multi-grain bread from my dh's grandma's recipe. i have a few questions.

I found your Sourdough bread recipe and it sounds good but you never mention adding yeast to the starter. i printed another recipe from a recipe website and it says to add yeast and sugar ro the starter. i was vurious as to why you don't add those to your starter recipe?

My other question is how long does starter last? We don't make bread that often so I want to know how long the starter keeps. I know you have to feed it but doesn't that make you have more and more starter?

I hope these questions make some sense.

TIA

Jaime
#2 of 15 Old 02-15-2004, 08:17 PM

I don't use yeast or sugar - to me that would kind of defeat the purpose of making sourdough in the first place since I want to avoid those ingredients.

Starter will last forever if you want. To keep starter going, you will need to feed it every 1 to 2 weeks if you haven't used it - so yes you will end up more. At one point when I didn't have time to make bread regularly, I used the starter to make pancakes, waffles, and even apple spice cake (YUMMY!). Let me know if you want those recipes. Supposedly you can freeze the starter too but I have heard that sometimes it doesn't come back. You could also share it with friends who want a starter . . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Ooh ooh, I do, I do, please!!!
#4 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 06:47 PM

Bump!
#5 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 06:53 PM

Me too Me too!!!! I want all the details
#6 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 07:44 PM

Here you go . . .

Sourdough Waffles
These are our absolute favorite waffles. They are light, crispy and have an incredible flavor. It’s a great way to use your sourdough starter when you don’t have the time to make bread and the enzymes will help digest your breakfast. Double the recipe and make extra to freeze.

1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)

Mix together starter, flour, salt, baking soda. In separate bowl, beat together egg, oil, sweetener, and milk. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture and mix well. Add additional milk if batter is too thick. Let batter rest while you preheat the waffle iron. Follow manufacturer’s directions for amount of batter to use. Bake until waffle no longer steams. Serve with yogurt and fresh fruit or butter and fruit-sweetened jam.

Makes 4 (regular 4-square) waffles

Note: Extra waffles can be refrigerated or frozen. To reheat, just toast in the toaster.

Variation:

Sourdough Pancakes: Make batter as directed above. Let batter sit while griddle heats. Place about 1/8 cup batter on well-oiled griddle for each pancake. Bake over medium heat about 2 to 3 minutes until sides look dry and bubbles form on cake. Turn and bake about a minute longer. Make sure to cook through because undercooked pancakes will be very sour.

Makes enough for 4 people

Sourdough Corncakes
One of the best things about this recipe is you mix up the batter the night before and in the morning, you can have pancakes without all the work. These cakes are crispy on the outside and very chewy. They have a strong, sour taste that might not appeal to young children but my husband and I love them.

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat, spelt, or rye flour
1/3 cup sourdough starter
2 3/4 cups water or milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey

Place cornmeal, flour, starter, and water or milk in bowl. Mix well. Cover with a towel and let mixture sit overnight in cool place.
Stir salt into dough. In separate bowl, beat eggs and sweetener together. Beat into batter. Let dough sit while griddle heats. Place about 1/4 cup batter on hot, oiled griddle for each pancake. Bake over medium heat about 3 to 4 minutes until sides look dry and bubbles form on cake. Turn and bake about a couple minute longer. Make sure to cook through because undercooked pancakes will be very sour.

Makes about 25 pancakes

Note: Extra pancakes can be refrigerated or frozen. To reheat, just warm on griddle or in skillet.

Sourdough Spice Cake
This moist, delicious cake is a great way to use your sourdough starter.

1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup applesauce
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup wheat or oat bran
1/2 teaspoon ground cinammon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup, or honey
1 egg, beaten
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Oil 9-inch cake pan or springform pan. In large bowl, mix together starter, applesauce, flour, bran, cinammon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, and milk, oil, sweetener, and egg. When completely combined, fold in walnuts and raisins. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake one hour, or until tester inserted in middle comes out clean.

Serves 12

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#7 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 07:55 PM

Sounds delish! Do you know if I could use the flax mixture to replace the eggs in those recipes? We don't eat eggs.....

Thanks!

Kimberly
#8 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 08:02 PM

I think the flax mixture would work very well.

#9 of 15 Old 02-18-2004, 11:23 PM

Ok, I made the Spice Cake recipe today and we just had some and it was FABULOUS! My husband and I both absolutely love it. I think this is going to make a fabulous carrot cake as well, and that's going to be my next experiment... Does anyone have a recipe for cream cheese icing (my husband's favorite!!) to go with this that uses honey or maple syrup as well??? Thanks much!
#10 of 15 Old 02-19-2004, 10:56 AM

I think Cathe posted one with pineapple juice. How would you make it into a carrot cake?
#11 of 15 Old 02-19-2004, 02:53 PM

Cream cheese frosting is the easiest. Just whip (in food processor or with beaters) the cream cheese with maple syrup or honey to taste (you don't need much sweetener at all because the cake is usually sweet enough). I usually make a cream cheese frosting by whipping creamcheese and crushed pineapple and no sweetener.

#12 of 15 Old 02-19-2004, 02:58 PM

When I made the original recipe I only had 1/2 cup of applesauce, so I used a couple Tbsp of extra olive oil to make up for the missing, and it turned out fine. I think I will just sub 1/2 cup of applesauce with grated carrot, and also sub the cup of raisins (which I left out because I don't like raisins). I think it should turn out just fine, but I guess I'll find out! I have a potluck this weekend, so this is going to be my dessert contribution.... BTW my husband decided that he needed a piece of cake with his breakfast this morning... Couldn't wait until tonight for another piece!! :LOL
#13 of 15 Old 02-20-2004, 01:09 AM

you don't really know what strain of yeast you are going to pick up just letting it culture in the air; it is best to use a proven strain for more predictable results. some people have put grapes in the starter to get the yeast off the skins (that 'bloom' you see), but again, not as predictable.

i'm on the laptop so don't have the links, but if you do a search here for 'sourdough' you will find links to get free starter (authentic oregon trail pioneer strain, all for a SASE), and a link to a sourdough faq page i found with the best of the info culled from years of the sourdough newsgroup. i believe it has links to other places you can purchase different starter strains from russia, france, etc. different strains have different properties. honestly, no kitchen counter one i've ever started has been as vigorous as the ones that have been kept alive for ages by generations of bakers.

on the faq it will tell you the reasons why not to use a commercial yeast in your starter; i believe the foremost was that they have seperate needs re: temp, pH etc, and at best, the commercial one will just die anyway. pointless.

good luck baking everyone, y'all make me want to get a loaf going tomorrow! i've been lazy and just going to wild oats, lol.

suse
#14 of 15 Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 PM

What is wholewheat pastry flour? Can I grind my own in the coffee grinder like I do my flax seeds?
#15 of 15 Old 07-09-2004, 11:34 AM

Wholewheat pastry flour is whole wheat flour made "soft wheat" which is lower in gluten. It is a bit lighter and good for baking - however it doesn't work in yeast risen doughs because of the low gluten content (it won't rise). You can make your own flour if you but soft wheat berries in a coffee grinder but it might take a while. I've tried grinding it in a blender but couldn't get it fine enough.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page