Another Paleo/GF Support Thread? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 184 Old 11-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
Edited to add: I should have guessed who you were talking about. He got a schoolin' from me in another thread. But I can't say I'm eager to waste any more effort on him.

I MDC! It's amazing how harsh some other forums can be, but I must admit--it is also amusing. I guess I just don't have enough drama in my life--it usually just makes me laugh!

crunchy_mama I'm thinking of you!!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#122 of 184 Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

hey ladies! yes, MDC is a whole 'nother ballgame from other forums! OH, and I am very excited about the menu list as well, that will probably come in handy here very shortly.

Oh, and I accidently ate grains today- dh added some BRM MT as filler to the apple pancakes and didn't tell me.

No real contractions going on now, but I am hopeful.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#123 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the support and the links for recipes, mamas! I'm loving this thread. And I bet by now crunchymama has had her little one?

I'm getting a little discouraged because I'm gaining weight. And I do NOT need to gain any weight. I was wearing my "fat jeans" this weekend. And it's hard not to think, "well, yeah, you're eating all that fat!" when I really do believe this is the optimal way to eat.

So, I guess I'm eating too much protein now. Instead of the carbs. Meat is new to me, so I think I'm overdoing it. And probably on the dairy, too.

My goal this week (gotta take it slowly) is to eat less protein, keep to the lowish carbs (like sweet potatoes and some legumes) and eat more veggie-based meals. Like big bowls full of broccoli with butter. I'm certainly not active enough to warrant a lot of protein, but it's usually the best way to get more fat.

More ideas on how to balance my food groups would be welcome! You mamas are the best!
#124 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouette View Post
Thanks for all the support and the links for recipes, mamas! I'm loving this thread. And I bet by now crunchymama has had her little one?

I'm getting a little discouraged because I'm gaining weight. And I do NOT need to gain any weight. I was wearing my "fat jeans" this weekend. And it's hard not to think, "well, yeah, you're eating all that fat!" when I really do believe this is the optimal way to eat.

So, I guess I'm eating too much protein now. Instead of the carbs. Meat is new to me, so I think I'm overdoing it. And probably on the dairy, too.

My goal this week (gotta take it slowly) is to eat less protein, keep to the lowish carbs (like sweet potatoes and some legumes) and eat more veggie-based meals. Like big bowls full of broccoli with butter. I'm certainly not active enough to warrant a lot of protein, but it's usually the best way to get more fat.

More ideas on how to balance my food groups would be welcome! You mamas are the best!
In PB it talks about keeping carbs under 100g for weight loss. It is easy to under estimate how many carbs you are eating. I thought I was well under 100g and when I actually stuck it in sparkpeople to see what I was really eating it was just over 100g. Weight loss stalls at 150g, and is REALLY slow between 100-150g. Just a thought. I didn't realize how many carbs were in beans and veggies. 1 C of beans has roughly 40g of carbs, add to that a cup of broccoli and you would be over 50g of carbs with just those things. Just a thought, you may be tracking and well aware of your carbs. It just surprised me when I checked my carbs today.
#125 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks ryleigh'smama, I should probably consider that. I'm not a fan of "tracking" things, but perhaps I should do that until I get into a groove. I know FairyRae has used fitday.com to do the same.

Even though I'm still nursing, I probably need a whole lot less food than I'm used to eating. I'm wondering if I should start with a simple fasting day with just some broth, then begin again. Uh...maybe not during Thanksgiving week, though.

Anyone else eating Paleo do intermittant fasting?
#126 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM

As usual, you mamas are right!

I plugged in today's food to fitday.com and was a bit surprised at a few things (like how much fat is in a cup of beans!). I am definitely eating more fat than I thought I was, but I'm also eating fewer carbs (so long as I stay away from grains) than I thought I was.

So what is the deal ratio of protein to fat for you folks? When your carbs are under 100g a day, what ratio do you feel is good for you, especially you pregnant mamas who don't do anything in particular to exercise other than walking. I'm not pregnant now, but we will want to conceive within the year.
#127 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Chouette, I do IF.

My idea of IF is stretching yourself to find out when your body actually needs food. You don't go past the point of strong hunger signals, and you definitely don't let yourself get dizzy, shakey, anxious, etc.

This means that some days I eat once a day, some days twice a day. I love it. I feel so much more in tune with my body. And doing yoga during and IF is incredible imo.

I'm bf, so I don't go into ketosis on purpose. I also don't chart my food either anymore. I just make my only carbs veggies and a bit of fruit. I don't really eat potatoes anymore or any tubers really except for special occasions.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#128 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks lil_earthmomma! I do IF with mostly the same goals. When I'm becoming obsessed with food, like during a transition with this new way of eating, I feel like I need to step away from the "noise" of the food I'm eating in order to better listen to my body's needs. I do it on days when I don't need to do anything in particular, but am busy enough to stay out of the kitchen (like doing crafts).

If I can make it through Thanksgiving (I'll actually be eating turkey this year!), I may try a day fast with some beef marrow broth and tea. I'll probably need it, anyway, because I know I'll be eating a conventional pie that day, and will likely have a grain hangover.
#129 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

fyi ladies, in labor here... back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#130 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 PM

Chouette,

Have you checked out MDA's Carbohydrate Curve? There are details there on what lil_earthmama is talking about. (Very useful!)

When I input stuff into fitday, on a day where I keep my carbs between 100-150 , I usually have 55-60% fat, 20% protein, 20% carbs. I don't know that this is the ideal level *for me* yet--I've been looking into diets that are based on 70+% fat, maybe 20% protein and 10% (or less) carbs. I'm not sure what *ideal* is for me yet, but I'm very interested in this. (I'm also trying to learn all I can about ketosis, b/c it *sounds* like lots of people really thrive in this state, and it may be a state our bodies are *meant* to be in--I'm still new to this topic and just sooo interested in learning about it.) I do feel really good when I eat the 60% fat, 20% protein and 20% carbs though, if that makes a difference! I'm also not trying to lose weight, fwiw!

And I really think, if trying to control weight, carbs are the first place to look, and only after significantly decreasing them, then look at protein (in case your body is converting excess protein into sugar which is getting stored as fat). Above all, make sure you're getting a lot of fat!

This is the info I've come across and found helpful...And fitday *is* really helpful, esp. when changing the amounts of certain foods you are eating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouette
More ideas on how to balance my food groups would be welcome!
I'm working on figuring out the best balance for me right now, so I totally know where you're coming from (and don't really have any great answers--sorry!) One thing that I *think* is helping me was writing down a list of foods I eat regularly (esp. carb rich foods) and creating sample menus (breakfast, lunches, dinners) that meet a specific carb intake level. (I'm a dork, and find this really fun to do while chilling at night on the couch when my dh is watching tv.) I've been trying to keep my breakfast carbs around 30g, lunch 30g and dinner 30g, w/ room for extra carbs all over the place (I'm just trying to keep below 150). Coconut milk smoothies (sweetened w/ stevia) are a place I'm looking for extra fat w/ out too much carbs or protein. Some of the info I've read about excess protein has me really questioning how much I *should* be getting. From what I've read, I do feel *most* of our calories should come from fat, no matter what else, then moderate protein, and lower carbs, although I actually keep them about equal in my diet currently. I'm working on it.

Sorry no definitive answers--gosh this topic gets me rambling!!

And crunchy_mama, I'm thinking of you!!! Hope all is well!

I traditional foods
#131 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 PM

Okay, I think I'm finally figuring this out. Thank you so much everyone! I know I'm rambling, too.

Thanks also for the links, FairyRae. I checked out the one above and that helps me understand the ratios.

I wasn't really worried about tracking until I realized that I'm really gaining weight. So something is off balance. Today's food (assuming that I really do go home and have 2 eggs scrambled in butter with a little sheep's feta and some kale) is a good ratio. Right around 60/20/20 (actually, today it was 68% fat, 14% protein and 17% carbs, but that was an estimate based on my deconstruction of my soup today, and I know I'd probably have days where I would eat more meat and thus get more protein and less fat) And my carbs are in the 50-100g range, so if I eat like I did today, with the occasional over-abundance of carbs, I should begin to lose again, with no detriment to my health, or my routine, such as it is. If that doesn't work, I'll reduce the carbs more, and maybe just plan to eat higher carb meals on especially active days. I need to find a way to get some more exercise, too. Tomorrow I'll be doing yoga with my toddler--that should be fun!

I'm also on a budget, so I think plugging in some of my planned meals may help me figure out the day's meals ratios in advance, too. This is especially helpful as I'm trying to buy a month's worth of meat and bones online.

Okay, now I'm really rambling.

Sending healthy labor vibes to crunchy mama!
#132 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM

The only thing I'm paying special attention to is protein, and in case anyone is interested, I'll describe below how I've calculated my protein needs.

I'm actually finding it a challenge to eat enough protein. I'm keeping starchy carbs to a minimum (trying to kick Candida), and I'm including non-starchy vegetables with every meal, but I'm eating as much fat as I want. As long as the carbs are minimal, my appetite is surprisingly small.

Here's the recommendation on MDA:
Quote:
At a minimum you need .5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass/per day on average to maintain your “structure”. If you are moderately active you need .7 or .8, and if you are an active athlete you need as much as 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass.

source
So for starters, you need to know your lean body mass. If your gym or doctor has a body fat measuring device, take advantage of it. I used the tape measure method, and Googled to find a body fat (estimating) calculator. You'll need to know your weight and height, and then you'll need to use a tape measure to measure your waist, hips, calf, wrist, neck, etc. Different calculators use different measurements, so you might want to try a few and see if the results match up to each other.

Once you've got your body fat percentage, multiply it by your body weight. Mine was in the neighborhood of 25%, so I multiplied my body weight by 0.25. That gave me the pounds of fat, so when subtracted from my whole body weight, I was left with lean body mass.

Multiply that number by 0.5 if sedentary, 0.7-0.8 if moderately active, and by 1.0 if extremely active. Now you have an idea of your protein needs.
#133 of 184 Old 11-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Wow--thanks jplain!

I'm totally going to do that asap!

I traditional foods
#134 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

She arrived 8:59 CST. She is 7lbs 9oz, 20 1/2". Name to be decided.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/681/1002193g.th.jpg
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9207/1002195.th.jpg

#135 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 AM

Congrats - so many babies today! My best friend's sister had her dd at 12:06 am and my cousin's girlfriend was in active labor last I heard.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#136 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
OMG she's BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you for sharing the pics! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Happy babymoon!!!!

I traditional foods
#137 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Oh wow! I just logged on and saw your 'in labour' post...and then this! Yay!

Well done! Assuming all went well. She is gorgeous! Enjoy your babymoon!
#138 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies, enjoying the babymoon.

#139 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Congrats Crunchy_Mama! And welcome to your new baby girl!
#140 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM

She's beautiful crunchy_mama!!!

Hope you are both resting and feeling great!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#141 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Today I made almond flour pancakes that totally rocked!!!

So, there is a HUGE difference between almond flours! Elana's right, you need very fine powdery blanched almond flour. Anything coarse will just ruin the texture and flavor.

#142 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Today I made almond flour pancakes that totally rocked!!!

So, there is a HUGE difference between almond flours! Elana's right, you need very fine powdery blanched almond flour. Anything coarse will just ruin the texture and flavor.
absolutely! I love digestive wellness' flour for just that reason. Bob's Red Mill and TJ's brand are just awful.
#143 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM

congrats, crunchy mama! enjoy this blissful time!
#144 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

first off thanks to all for all the well wishes. We are doing great, just trying to relax and heal. I have a tendency to want to overdo it so I am trying hard to let dh take care of me

onto topic- interesting the opinions about the almond flour. I really like the TJ's myself, but hey whatever works for everyone!

I have been eating grainfree= just basic easy stuff- whatever other people cook for me So, tomorrow a friend offered to bring chili and I happily said- that sounds great!

I am feeling good just tired, I need to rehone the skill of nursing and sleeping at the same time. This new babe is sooooo mellow, she just nurses constantly. I am curious to see if she has a dairy sensitivity, but am not up to trialing that yet!

#145 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Hey Crunchy Mama Congrats to you and your new little girl!!

Oh man, have I fallen off this wagon. I was great at first, planning and whatnot, then we got really busy, and I got lazy and I can so feel it.

I'm getting back on the horse, but man how many lessons do I need?

signature currently in transition
#146 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Teenytoona, I'm right there with ya. How many lessons indeed! Apparently, this many.

Crunchy mama...I think that I felt the same way....until I tried a really find flour. The difference is astonishing. It's like night and day. It's *almost* like working with regular ol' flour. However, if you are happy, then there's no issue!
#147 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Teenytoona, I'm right there with ya. How many lessons indeed! Apparently, this many.

Crunchy mama...I think that I felt the same way....until I tried a really find flour. The difference is astonishing. It's like night and day. It's *almost* like working with regular ol' flour. However, if you are happy, then there's no issue!
I agree that it was shockingly similar to regular flour in the way it behaved. I'm so excited to try coconut flour and almond flour christmas cookies! I'll let everyone know the winning recipes!

#148 of 184 Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Ok, b/c almonds are out for us, I really need to figure out an awesome way to grind pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds really fine--your reviews of the super fine almond flour is getting to me!!!

I traditional foods
#149 of 184 Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Ok, b/c almonds are out for us, I really need to figure out an awesome way to grind pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds really fine--your reviews of the super fine almond flour is getting to me!!!
Vitamix? What about experimenting with some butters as well. I know you can make awesome brownies with almondbutter, so what about sunbutter? Cookies too. Breads might be a little trickier.

#150 of 184 Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Vitamix? What about experimenting with some butters as well. I know you can make awesome brownies with almondbutter, so what about sunbutter? Cookies too. Breads might be a little trickier.
Well, a vitamix is totally on my "appliances of my dreams" list. I've read that some make flours w/ them--which is too awesome!

Nut butters--that's a cool idea. I'll need to play around...I've read bread recipes that call for nut butters. I'm pretty happy w/ the results I've gotten getting the finest grind I can in my coffee grinder, but it would be cool to work w/ a finer flour...

I traditional foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page