Why does kefir make my stomach hurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had milk kefir grains for almost 2 years, and I would only eat a tablespoon ata time, but I heard that a cup is good a day. So I have slowly workedup to 1/2 cup per day and that seemed the most I could do, But now that I have been eatin gthat much, I get a stomach ache every time. My intentines hurt just under the liver if that helps. I have decided to just have a tablespoon a day instead like I used to, but it still has the sam effect on me now. What is going on? Am I allergic to it fo is this detox? If I can tollerate it, what can I replace it with that is just as good for me? Anyone have these issues with kefir?

(just a note, this is not about liking the taste, but the actual way it is making me feel -yeah there has been alot of thread on kefir and wanting to gag, but this is not the issue here.)
#2 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 AM

Can you tolerate other dairy, like liquid milk? Could you be lactose intolerant?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 AM

how long do you ferment the milk to get the kefir, if you ferment it 48 hours or more, there should be less lactose, so you should not have any problem with it.
#4 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Can you tolerate other dairy, like liquid milk? Could you be lactose intolerant?
I can tolerate goat dairy just fine (that is what I am using for the kefir) if it is raw and can eat my raw goat yogurt just fine. I am fine with most hard cheeses and kerry gold butter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samihenter View Post
how long do you ferment the milk to get the kefir, if you ferment it 48 hours or more, there should be less lactose, so you should not have any problem with it.
I have tried a longer a longer and shorter ferment and I have issues with both, but the longer ferment seems to be worse for me recation wise.
#5 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 AM

may be it is something to do with what the goats eat, but it is strange that you can eat raw goat yogurt without problems. yogurt and kefir are not so different.
if i were you i would try 2 different things.
1) use another milk source, and make kefir again.
2) throw all your kefir away, get another kefir grain source and start fermenting again.
#6 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samihenter View Post
may be it is something to do with what the goats eat, but it is strange that you can eat raw goat yogurt without problems. yogurt and kefir are not so different.
if i were you i would try 2 different things.
1) use another milk source, and make kefir again.
2) throw all your kefir away, get another kefir grain source and start fermenting again.
1)I have no other source of milk, and it sit well made into raw yogurt

2)Throwing out my kefir was a thought. Perhas there is something wrong with it, but it grows well and makes very good kefir. But what could be wrong with my kefir? I have a hard time with getting rid of it because it was given to me from a very close friend in the Ukraine. O what to do...
#7 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Try making juice kefir with some of it. Keep some as back up.

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Try making juice kefir with some of it. Keep some as back up.

Pat
How do I do this? Directions please?
If I can't have milk kefir, I still really want the benifits of it. Will the juice kefir have the same good stuff?
#9 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
How do I do this? Directions please?
If I can't have milk kefir, I still really want the benifits of it. Will the juice kefir have the same good stuff?
1:1 non-chlorine water and 100% grape juice (or other juice, no additives) and kefir grains. In cupboard for 24 hours.

About as many microbials as milk kefir.

(must keep back up grains growing in milk, as they become pickled over time in the juice kefir)

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
1:1 non-chlorine water and 100% grape juice (or other juice, no additives) and kefir grains. In cupboard for 24 hours.

About as many microbials as milk kefir.

(must keep back up grains growing in milk, as they become pickled over time in the juice kefir)

Pat
Can I do apple cider or what about fresh carrot juice or raw apple juice?
How many times can I reuse the kefir grains in the juice/water? Then throw then away?
And do I have to be making kefir with the other back up grains to grow for the juice? If that is the case, I will have loads of milk kefir I wont be able to use. Is this right?
#11 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Can I do apple cider or what about fresh carrot juice or raw apple juice?
I don't know about that. Other juice like pineapple, apple, cranberry kefir, I've heard of. Not sure about apple cider or carrot juice.

How many times can I reuse the kefir grains in the juice/water? Then throw then away?
I found it was delicious the first 3-4 batches and then became yeasty smelling and tasted a bit like beer after that. You can rinse the grains between batches, but I found after 5-8 batches, I wasn't keen on the kefir. I leave it a bit too long on the grains, perhaps, though.

And do I have to be making kefir with the other back up grains to grow for the juice?
Yes, just use a small amount of milk and keep it refrigerated, rather than culturing at room temp for days. You can leave it in the refrigerator for up to a week or (two).

If that is the case, I will have loads of milk kefir I wont be able to use. Is this right?
Or use the milk kefir in cooking or soaking grains. Or make cheese. Or share with other family members. Or add to smoothies.

Pat

I have a blog.
#12 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM

This happens to my husband. He is fine with all dairy except Kefir. Kefir are probiotics so if you have pathogens like bacteria or fungus that the kefir is killing off it can cause pain. Having a out of balance gut is more common than many realize but some ppl have more severe issues. Just a thought.
#13 of 13 Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 AM

The way that we make kefir soda (or juice) is doing a first (open, with a cloth on top) ferment with just sugar, water and the grains. Then I strain this liquid, and do a closed ferment with some juice. We just use store bought juice for now, but I know there are a ton of great recipes out there.

We didn't want to let the grains touch the juice. I have read that any juice may give some colour to your grains. I don't think it really harms the grains, we just didn't want to do it.

Not really your same situation, but my dh thought he was dying (G0d forbid) when he first started drinking kefir, and that was the water kefir. He didn't work up to it, though, so I don't know. Now he handles it okay. We still call that time "The War" - the good stuff was killing all the bad stuff....

If you do a Google search for "Dom's Kefir" I'm pretty sure he explains how to change dairy grains over to water grains.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page