heart palpitations, dizziness and sweating after carbs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read this in another thread and wanted to talk about because it happens to me and I thought it was just me (of course!!! why wouldn't it be just me?!) but am a little relieved to see that this happens to someone else and wanted to know why this happens, what others think about it, theories about everything and anything anyone wants to tell me about it!

It only happens to me after things like eating not raw honey, say on a biscuit. Or eating pasta. OR drinking coffee, soda, tea, anything caffeinated and then sweetened and its a sure bet that I going to feel crazy for a atleast a half-hour.

If i eat several small carby things throughout the day then in the evening I may get palpitations.

I just wanted to know how may other people have experienced anything like this and whatever anyone wants to tell me about it!
#2 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 PM

I bet you're referring to my thread in H&H, right? ('cause, you know, everything's always about ME. )

I get this too, big time. I have a couple of ideas. I have severe adrenal fatigue. Sometimes I feel better, sometimes I feel worse. But my sensitivity to carbs/sugar seems to correlate with how I feel adrenal-wise.

The symptoms between carb-sensitivity & adrenal insufficiency overlap a bit, so it's hard to differentiate.

When my adrenals have tanked, I feel VERY dizzy upon standing, increased brain fog & more fatigue - more floaters too.

When I eat something carby, I get lightheaded (similar to an adrenal response, but slightly different), heart palps, sweaty & feel "out of my body" - very hard to explain.

The pathway goes like this - leptin is the king of all hormones, in charge of our metabolism. Next down is adrenals, then thyroid, sex hormones, etc.

Leptin & insulin apparently work similarly, leptin-resistance preceding insulin- resistance.

From what I'm reading lately (which has been like putting more pieces in the puzzle), we need to fix our leptin levels wich will also fix our insulin response, which will help our blood sugar which will help our adrenals, which will help our blood sugar (big circle here), which will help our thyroids, etc, etc.

I started a thread on leptin today. TL posted a good link to a blog & here are his (10) posts on leptin.

Apparently certain things will block our leptin receptors, like lectins in grains (especially wheat, barley & rye), soy & other legumes like peas, beans & peanut butter. (This is fairly new to me, so my knowledge is REALLY limited. And I don't know much about lectins, either.)

That's my 2 cents for now! BBL.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 PM

Definitely not just you, although I don't really have any theories on the whys. I get hot flashes, dizziness, light-headedness, feelings of disassociation and heart palps.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 PM

I get some heart palps from too much carbs- especially on an empty stomach. Grains are especially bad but I made a shake the other day w/ coco milk- cherries- a small banana and some pb and I felt like poop all day long w/ low grade paps. I couldnt hardly recover no matter what I ate the rest of the day.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Definitely not just you, although I don't really have any theories on the whys. I get hot flashes, dizziness, light-headedness, feelings of disassociation and heart palps.
"feelings of disassociation" _ I need to start using that instead of "weird out of body feeling." Glad to know I'm not the only one who experiences this weird symptom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I get some heart palps from too much carbs- especially on an empty stomach. Grains are especially bad but I made a shake the other day w/ coco milk- cherries- a small banana and some pb and I felt like poop all day long w/ low grade paps. I couldnt hardly recover no matter what I ate the rest of the day.
That's tough to say whether it was the sugar + carbs causing insulin surge, affecting blood sugar or if it was the potassium in the banana affecting your adrenals - or both. Bananas make me feel especially crappy because I have a problem holding onto sodium thanks to my adrenal situation.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 01:13 AM

hmmm, hadn't thought on the banana angle- I wonder how else that would manifest ie an issue w/ the potassium.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 AM

I had figured that my problems with heart palpitations were due to Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. I do not, to my knowledge, actually have a prolapsed mitral valve. But, according to some, that's not a requirement. I have the other symptoms... pretty much ALL of them... and when I cut back on dietary stressors, got to bed at a decent time, and took a LOT of supplemental magnesium, I felt better.

I'm starting to get them again, though... 32 weeks pregnant... not sure what's going on. I seem to be a bottomless pit for magnesium, can't get enough no matter what I do. I've wondered if my adrenals are acting up again, due to pregnancy in general and freak outs about a surgical birth in particular. I'm weaning myself off caffeine, hoping that will help.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#8 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Junegoddess;14667747]I had figured that my problems with heart palpitations were due to Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. I do not, to my knowledge, actually have a prolapsed mitral valve. But, according to some, that's not a requirement. [QUOTE]

LOL, ME TOO! Self diagnosed online and then I thought kinda confirmed when I found out my Grandma had one. Combined with the fact that one time a Dr. (post baby) told me I had an a-rhythym.

I have only had, or atleast only noticed having, problems since having my daughter. After I had her I had only just started learning about TF and was not practicing it at all besides making my chicken/kale soup like every single day. I drank COKE, COKE, COKE night and day and bought big chocolate bars to eat when I was up all night with nursing troubles and a night-owl baby.
That's when the palps started and I even went to the hospital one day when I felt dizzy and thought I might DIE. I was still bleeding post-partum and had hemmoraged a week after birth so I was really paranoid at that point and got no answers at the hospital either.

I started researching online and found the MVP info and thought it sounded right because I had ALL the symptoms and then talked to my Grandma and she had it so I thought, well there you go! But eventually I got this nagging feeling that that wasn't it. So then when I kept researching I found info on thyroid and thought AHA! But got checked 2x and that doesn't seem to be it either.....even went early in the AM and paid $300 to a rpivate Dr. who specializes in thyroid and he said no.

So now I have just been trying to manage it with diet and low carb/low sugar/no caffeine really doesthe trick and I can easily manage the no caffeine, its the carbs and sugar(of course) that I seem to backslide into. But I feel awful and it almost isn't enough to stop me from consuming them.
#9 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 12:17 PM

Very intereesting on the MVP, my mom has that. I don't notice any issues though unless it is food related. Does that mean my mom could control her symptoms w/ diet changes? (Not that I could likely pry her from low fat dogma- but am curious about it)

#10 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

From what I have read caffeine and sugar *do* affect MVP.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page