Raw Milk while Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Ladies,

I posted this in the breastfeeding section but someone suggested I ask here as well ; I was wondering if any of you or know of women that drink/drank raw milk while breastfeeding? My son is 15 months old and I am considering drinking raw milk but trying to find out if I can while breastfeeding. My husband grew up drinking raw milk in Ireland thus my interest and of course for nutritional purposes for all.

Thank you in advance
#2 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 02:51 PM

i'm not sure what your question is exactly. but i began drinking raw milk while breastfeeding my 12mo ds and continued through my next pregnancy and now breastfeeding. so it's been 3 years now of drinking it.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#3 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

Thank you Vaquitita. Sorry if my post was unclear and just wanted to know if it was ok to do so...makes sense to me why it would be but wanted to ask other mums.
#4 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The mainstream recommendation for pregnant women to avoid unpasteurized dairy products (except hard cheeses with a long culturing time) is due to concern about bacterial contamination that would cause illness in mom and affect the fetus. Breastmilk doesn't transfer gastrointestinal illness from mom to baby. If mom got sick due to a gastro illness, her supply may dip, maybe she becomes very dehydrated, but the problematic bacteria don't end up in her own milk.

Is that your concern?
#5 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
DKL

That answers my question pretty much...thank you TanyaLopez!
#6 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 PM

I would not hesitate to drink raw milk while nursing or pregnant. Raw milk is so much better for you, there's really no comparison.

#7 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 PM

I drink it, too, with my 15 month old. And raw cheese, raw cream, raw butter, etc too- yummy! My 15 month old eats raw cheddar, butter and yogurt. No other dairy but raw. She has had no problems.

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#8 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I drank raw milk for a year and a half while I was nursing my dd with no problem. I have friends who have used it while pregnant (I didn't because I didn't have a source) and I feed it to my two year old dd. (I stopped drinking it because it seems I have an allergy).

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#9 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 PM

I grew up on raw milk until I went off to college. I've drank raw milk for over 5 years again now, ever since I've had a source for it. IMO, it is much better for you, much easier to digest than past. milk.
#10 of 18 Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM

I actually started drinking raw milk while breastfeeding when my son was about 6 weeks old after trying out lots of other things.. regular, organic, lactaid, soy, and goat's milk. It was the only thing that DIDN'T upset his stomach and leave him totally gassy. I noticed a few other perks too... I have a dairy allergy and have had terrible adult acne. I found on the raw milk it went away for the most part, which leads me to believe that your grocery-store variety milk contained too many hormones for me.
#11 of 18 Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 AM

I've been drinking raw milk for over a year and a half and have an 8mo old who I breastfeed. I believe it's a great choice for me to drink.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 18 Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM

I drink raw milk and breastfeed. He's 10 mo. now, but when he was younger than 6mo, he would vomit if I had pasteurized milk (all my kids did), but not if I had raw milk. We switched to Organic past. milk 2 weeks ago just for affordability and because we culture most of our milk products and the kids already have circles under their eyes...so it's back to raw for us.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#13 of 18 Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferiah View Post
I actually started drinking raw milk while breastfeeding when my son was about 6 weeks old after trying out lots of other things.. regular, organic, lactaid, soy, and goat's milk. It was the only thing that DIDN'T upset his stomach and leave him totally gassy. I noticed a few other perks too... I have a dairy allergy and have had terrible adult acne. I found on the raw milk it went away for the most part, which leads me to believe that your grocery-store variety milk contained too many hormones for me.
OMG! I just broke out too and we bought organic past. milk for the last 2 weeks...hmmmm. Now, I'll have to experiment.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#14 of 18 Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 PM

i'd go for it! i never stopped when i got pregnant, i even ate brie even though they say not to. i just wont drink anything else however i may need to try raw goats milk for a while to see if it agrees with me better.

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#15 of 18 Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I started while breastfeeding DS and drank it through my pregnancy with DD.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#16 of 18 Old 12-24-2009, 12:45 PM

I started when my son was 3 months old and have continued while pregnant. In fact I drink a whole lot more while nursing and pregnant, it is all I crave. I cannot drink store milk/ice cream etc., it makes me quite sick to my stomach, but I've never had a problem with raw milk. I think quite highly of the dairy I get it from though, and wouldn't just drink any raw milk while pregnant.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#17 of 18 Old 12-24-2009, 12:54 PM

DS is 8 months and we recently started drinking raw milk. Actually, I can't have regular milk because it makes DS sick...but he can handle raw just fine!

I've done the research and, like an above poster said, it's mostly fear of bacteria making you sick...but, honestly, that's because you don't want to drink raw milk from industrialized cattle.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#18 of 18 Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM

I drink it and am breastfeeding a 3 week old... Drank it all through pregnancy as well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page