a "what did you eat today" tribe? (come on and join us!!!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 129 Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am subbing because I'd love to get some good ideas here... because my family's diet could be much better.

Granted, it could be much worse, too! Tonight we had baked tilapia, fresh steamed green beans, creamed corn and brown basmati rice... lunch was natural peanut butter sandwiches with pineapple fruit spread (NOT jelly - yuck) on sourdough bread, with pretzels and sliced bananas.... but breakfast for the kids was cold cereal (Honey Bunches for DD, Rice Chex for DS) while me and Lil'Man had oatmeal and shared an english muffin with Smart Balance and cinnamon.

There's room for improvement... so I'm gonna be lurking for ideas!!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#62 of 129 Old 11-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Breakfast: oatmeal with butter and a bit of maple syrup. Which kept me full for all of one minute I think I just got definitive proof that I need some good protein to balance out breakfast carbs.
Lunch/Snack: some dried apricots, canned tuna on sourdough rye with olive oil, black pepper, and rucola
Dinner: baltic herring filets (bones stay in) filled with dill from the freezer, sea salt, and pepper and dredged in ww flour, then fried in ghee, boiled potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts with olive oil and sea salt.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#63 of 129 Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Sorry I've been AWOL, I've been sick. So I really haven't been eating a whole lot.
But my husband made some amazing food last night I had to share. I got some local grass-fed lamb sausage at the farmer's market last week, and my husband cooked it up in some oil and garlic and I swear they were little links of heaven! UGHHH. He served them with broccoli and brussels sprouts. So good.

For lunch yesterday I had yogurt with a bit of honey and a mug of bone broth.

Breakfast was bacon and throat coat tea (my favorite even when I'm not sick).

Feeling better today, so hopefully I'll be up to par for the big round of festivities this weekend.
#64 of 129 Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post
Breakfast: oatmeal with butter and a bit of maple syrup. Which kept me full for all of one minute I think I just got definitive proof that I need some good protein to balance out breakfast carbs.
Lunch/Snack: some dried apricots, canned tuna on sourdough rye with olive oil, black pepper, and rucola
Dinner: baltic herring filets (bones stay in) filled with dill from the freezer, sea salt, and pepper and dredged in ww flour, then fried in ghee, boiled potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts with olive oil and sea salt.
This all sounds so good.

I know what you mean about oatmeal in the morning. If I do I have to have some meat or a 1/2 cup of beans. Or even almond butter mixed in with oats is really good.
#65 of 129 Old 11-25-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been updating much, been offline a lot the past few days.

Today I had buttered pumpkin for breakfast, dd had oatmeal with cream and butter.

Last night, tilapia fried in butter with butternut squash mixed with cream, butter, peas and salt and pepper.

For lunch yesterday we had a baked potato that we split with butter, sour cream, broccoli, cheese, green onions, salsa and bacon.

Breakfast yesterday was eggs with ham, bacon, avocado and fried in butter, topped with salsa.

I need to start fermenting my own salsa.

We did our supps each day.
#66 of 129 Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
This all sounds so good.

I know what you mean about oatmeal in the morning. If I do I have to have some meat or a 1/2 cup of beans. Or even almond butter mixed in with oats is really good.
Ohhh I wish I could get fresh almond butter here... I can get it in a jar but it's exorbitantly priced and after fresh ground I just can't go back.
We actually didn't have the herring after all as the kitchen was a mess and I got lazy - will have to make it tomorrow. Instead we had some delicious fresh local pastured lamb sausage and the rest of the rucola with olive oil.
I think almost everything posted here sounds so good! That's the joy of the TF board: reading about real food with creative ingredients!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#67 of 129 Old 11-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post
Ohhh I wish I could get fresh almond butter here... I can get it in a jar but it's exorbitantly priced and after fresh ground I just can't go back.
Can you go on ebay? I got bulk really raw low spray almonds for $3 lb and free shipping. I just had to buy 20 lbs at once.
I soaked, dried and then ground them. So yummy!!
#68 of 129 Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Can you go on ebay? I got bulk really raw low spray almonds for $3 lb and free shipping. I just had to buy 20 lbs at once.
Oh wow, that's great! I don't know I'll have to check. I wonder about the shipping though - I live so far away from anywhere that it probably wouldn't be free for me.

Today's meals

Breakfast/Lunch: Sour rye with butter, a cup of beef bone broth, some sauerkraut
Dinner: the herring, potatoes and brussels sprouts I meant to make yesterday

#69 of 129 Old 11-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Oooh, glad to see this thread up!

Yesterday I got a chance to work on grain-free versions of some thanksgiving favorites and made a really yummy cauliflower & sausage stuffing to go with the turkey, and a green bean casserole from scratch with bacon and onions (though I did have to use some rice flour to thicken the gravy...). Really, really good, and I didn't even wind up in a carb coma.

Today was leftovers for breakfast and we're planning to make turkey/bacon/brie/cranberry sandwiches (mine will be on coconut flour english muffins) for lunch/dinner. (I don't think we could possibly have room for both, lol).

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#70 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 AM

yay! love what-you-ate threads - I'll play

yesterday:

spatone (natural iron supp) in glass of water

b - 3 brazil nuts
2 dried apricots
apple

l - small bowl eggplant, kale & chickpea curry with tomato
hummus
whole grain salba bun

snacks - homeade slab with rolled oats, coconut flour, eggs, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, dried apricot, dates, coconut, lots of butter & a little organic unrefined sugar
-chicory coffee sub with splash of raw milk
- cup of raw yoghurt with frozen blueberries and sprinkle of crumbs from the oat slab!

dinner - breaded pork schnitzel, braised cabbage & carrot with onion (delicious!), spiced potato wedges tossed in olive oil & roasted

today:

iron supp in water

b - 3 eggs, over easy with sea salt & cracked pepper
apple
2 cups nettle tea

snack/lunch - several pieces of oat slab baked yesterday
handful durian fruit 'chips'
piece of dried tamarind fruit
1/2 cup raw whole yoghurt
3 brazil nuts

d - chickpea, kale & eggplant curry with spicy tuna

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#71 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 AM

Yesterday

Breakfast: a fried egg in butter, a couple dried apricots, sour rye with butter

Lunch: not telling let's just say it was school cafeteria food and not TF in the slightest.

Snack: sour rye with butter, sauerkraut, an apple

Dinner: karelian stew - so satisfying!

Today

Breakfast: paneer and apples sauteed in ghee with a spoonful of honey and cardamom

Lunch:a mcdonald's cheeseburger we were out and hungry and DP got one and so I had to have one too...

Snacks: an apple, a few bites of cold stew, piece of rye bread, rest of paneer

Dinner: making pea soup with a smoked ham hock, will have it with mustard and sour rye bread and butter

#72 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Here is from yesterday:
B- apples, roqufort(sp?) raw sheep cheese (yummm), sourdough toast covered with kerry gold butter

L- brown rice, black eyed peas, on warmed masa corn tortillas, steamed dandelion greens on the side. Kerry gold cheese only for dd.

D- steamed carrots and peas, black beans and rice with LF pickle on the side

No supplements yesterday but loads of nettles, etc herb infusion. I have increased the nettles and plantain for more calcium.

We are increasing more butter lately and cutting out meat for my 2 yr old. More grains for her instead.
I also have the goal to have a big bowl of steamed and raw greens everyday.

I have alot planned for future meals. (I woke up early and had alot of time on my hands)
I have wheat soaking for a lacto fermented wheat beverage called rejuvalac, wheat sprouting for a manna type porriage,
mung beans semi sprouting before cooking,
beet greens chopped ready in the steamer,
amaranth cooking in the double boiler,
nettles steeping,
sourdough bread rising,
carrots and celery chopped for juicing,
bulgur soaking for breakfast tomorrow

What do ya'll have planned before eating?
#73 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Since the almond pasteurization requirement was passed last year (two years ago?) all "raw" almonds here are actually pasteurized. If they're conventional, they're chemically pasteurized with a chemical shown to be carcinogenic in humans. If they're organic "raw", they're heat pasteurized.

I haven't seen any follow up that changes these requirements...

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#74 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Since the almond pasteurization requirement was passed last year (two years ago?) all "raw" almonds here are actually pasteurized. If they're conventional, they're chemically pasteurized with a chemical shown to be carcinogenic in humans. If they're organic "raw", they're heat pasteurized.

I haven't seen any follow up that changes these requirements...
I am totally aware about these changes. Yes they have to be pasturized, but it is like raw milk, you can get it from the farm and it can still be raw. The person that listed their almonds on ebay is the almond grower and they are really raw, no heat or chemicals at all. That is why I was sharing because it is a good deal for really raw almonds. And when I contacted the grower, he said that he only used sprays when the blossoms were out, so I would consider that lower spray. Way more afordable than certified org almonds in the store that are $15 lb and not really raw anyway.
#75 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM

will add as I eat

b - nettle tea
- smoothie: handful kale, 3/4 banana, handful of blueberries, raw yoghurt, flax seed oil

bluebirdmama - I thought you didn't have to soak bulgar?

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#76 of 129 Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
will add as I eat

You don't if the companies that make bulgar do it the traditional way. I doubt they do, and bet they make it as fast as possible. It is like couscous, it was a tradtional food, and would be great for you, since it was presoaked, but if you are a large scale company, it is probably going to be made fast and then not TF.
#77 of 129 Old 11-29-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
will add as I eat

You don't if the companies that make bulgar do it the traditional way. I doubt they do, and bet they make it as fast as possible. It is like couscous, it was a tradtional food, and would be great for you, since it was presoaked, but if you are a large scale company, it is probably going to be made fast and then not TF.
well how annoying is that?!
thanks for the info

#78 of 129 Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 AM

Breakfast: parsnips fried in ghee and a little bone broth, scrambled eggs, sour rye

Lunch/Snack: dried apricots, a can of kidney beans with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, apple

Dinner: leftover pea soup, rye bread, butter, apple

#79 of 129 Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Recovering from a stomach bug here, so all posts are subject to change as I go along, haha.

Breakfast: coconut flour pancakes with butter & apple slices for the boys

Snack will be: strawberry smoothie...sounds just right this morning. and maybe some coffee.

Lunch: Still more leftover Thanksgiving food, but the boys are growing increasingly weary of it.

Dinner: Maybe turkey tacos? Or soup with the turkey broth that's been simmering for the last 48 hours. Soup would be better for us, but the tacos sound delicious. Will post later.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

#80 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 AM

b - smoothie: handful kale, handful blueberries, 1/2 banana, cup raw yoghurt

l - 4 eggs scrambled with handful of kale in leftover lam drippings (had a few little chunks of lamb in it)

snack - handful dried apricots
4 brazil nuts
nettle tea

d - maybe some smoked ham & pea soup with kale - there are leftovers that need eating but I'm sick of them! I have broad beans that need using too

and yes, we have a lot of kale in the garden right now!

#81 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 PM

B- 2 eggs fried in butter, coffee

L-Not sure yet?

D-Ended up going to my mom's last night, so tonight will be turkey tacos with chipotle-cranberry sauce, shredded lettuce, and diced avocado.

#82 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Breakfast: parsnips sauteed in fatty beef bone broth, two eggs scrambled in ghee, spiced black tea with rapadura, a couple dried apricots

Lunch: I was ambushed by a very friendly Russian lady as I was getting my workspace set up at work and politely accepted the very sugary berry pie, coffee, and cognac (!) she offered me.

Dinner: leftover pea soup, rye bread, an apple

#83 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can't believe I haven't posted here yet!

B: Three fried eggs, about 5oz bacon, 2/3 c grapes, and a mug of Irish Breakfast tea

L: Leftover turkey, cucumber with unrefined salt, a few more grapes, one chocolate truffle from WF (made with CO! yay!)

D: bone on/skin in chicken breast with very un-TF BBQ sauce (bad habit, can't break it- I love the stuff), turnip greens sauteed in lard and simmered in bone broth and garlic if dd wakes up from her nap in time or, if not, green beans.

ETA: Two more truffles for dessert.

I've also had about a quart of nettle tea with about 1/2 T raw honey and 12oz bone broth as well as my Raw Calcium supplement, CLO, and some Vit E. I hate the Vit E- a natural source is totally important to me, but basically, that's either soy or wheat germ. Since I'm gluten intolerant, I'm now taking a soy based Vit E supplement (I'm allergic to most E-rich foods).

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#84 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

yesterday~

B: leftover rolls from thanksgiving that my dad made.
L: an omelette cooked in butter with carnitas avocado, cheese, salsa and peppers and onions and some sour cream
D: tortilla soup with homemade bone broth, homemade tortillas and lots of good pastured chicken up in there....and avocado and ranchero cheese OMG it was good....it was a mexican kinda day, I guess lol

fire cider and raw garlic, CLO for baby.
#85 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM

B: three scrambled eggs that DS ate most of, and that was the last of the eggs! also, a piece of leftover pumpkin pie, sweetened with just a little honey and molasses, left the crust behind

snack: larabar, string cheese

L: a few shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish), about 1/4 lb wild scallops sauteed in bacon grease w/ salt and pepper

D: going to make the italian meatballs off the MDA site, and do a spaghetti squash to go with it, and a salad.

later snack?: i made spinach and artichoke dip last night and ate it with raw carrots, green peppers, and sliced cucumbers. Maybe do that again tonight.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#86 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I am totally aware about these changes. Yes they have to be pasturized, but it is like raw milk, you can get it from the farm and it can still be raw. The person that listed their almonds on ebay is the almond grower and they are really raw, no heat or chemicals at all. That is why I was sharing because it is a good deal for really raw almonds. And when I contacted the grower, he said that he only used sprays when the blossoms were out, so I would consider that lower spray. Way more afordable than certified org almonds in the store that are $15 lb and not really raw anyway.
Awesome!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#87 of 129 Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM

11/30/09

Breakfast

Venison stew. (venison, carrots, collards, onion, garlic, Celtic salt, kombu, crushed red pepper.)
Decaf green tea with raw milk.
CLO, FO, K2, D.
2 Brazil nuts.

Lunch

Wild Alaskan salmon over greens with crispy sunflower seeds & Bragg ginger sesame dressing.
Handful of crispy cashews.

Snack

1 Lara bar.

Dinner

NT chicken coconut soup. (chicken, onion, collards, cilantro, fresh ginger, garlic, juice of 1 lemon, coconut milk, Celtic salt, crushed red pepper.)
Chocolate "pudding." (cream, gelatin, cocoa, shredded coconut, stevia.)

#88 of 129 Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Breakfast: some truly awful porridge with dried apricots, a fried egg. This was my first experience with soaking steel cut oats and I think I need to look up some of the past oatmeal threads...

Lunch: a non-TF mozzarella sandwich since I was out and starving and broke all at the same time

Snack: rye toast with butter, cheese, and avocado, a few lacto-fermented green tomato pickles, half a large boiled beet

Dinner: rest of the stew and pea soup

#89 of 129 Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Breakfast: four scrambled eggs, 1/3 cup grapes, mug of Irish Breakfast tea

Lunch: Chipotle! Carnitas bowl with no rice or beans, twice the meat, lots of guac, mild salsa, lettuce, and cheese/sour cream. (Were really lucky- our local Chipotle uses Polyface pork so I honestly never feel guilty about eating there), a few strawberries, maybe a truffle

Dinner: 1/2 lb steak cooked in bacon fat, slow cooked kale with bacon, garlic, and turkey stock.

Dessert: 1/2 of a Sweet Riot bar- waaay too much sugar for me and I felt all weird after I finished, but yum.

Other stuff: About a quart of nettle tea w/a bit of raw honey, mug of bone broth, Raw Calcium and Vit E supplement, CLO

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#90 of 129 Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM

b
- salad of mixed greens, walnuts, almonds, avocado, cucumber & tuna with an ev-olive oil (local!) and balsamic vinegar, sea salt, cracked black pepper & toasted sesame seeds
- 1 soft boiled egg

- nettle tea x 2

lunch
- coconut flour bread with butter
- raw yoghurt & frozen blueberries
- handful of sliced almonds

dinner
-more coconut bread
- spicy eggplant & kale curry

snack
- an apple

seems a bit low on protein, but there were 6 eggs in the coconut 'loaf' and I ate 2/3 of it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page