I ate raw meat (beef) for the first time and now I have a stomach ache - what went wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ate probably about 2 to 3 ounces of completely raw skirt steak, which I got from U.S. Wellness meats, so its grass-fed and today I decided to try eating it for lunch. I liked it, but soon after I noticed that I started to get a stomach ache and its now a few hours later and I still have that stomach ache and I looked in the mirror and my stomach is noticeably bloated. I haven't had a stomach ache in years, so this is rare for me to have this stomach ache. For breakfast, I had Applegate Farm bacon, fried eggs, some avocado and Rejuvenative food brand raw salsa. Those were the only other things I ate today. After eating the raw steak today, a couple hours later I had some peppered bison jerkey and some mozarella cheese. Thats it. Any idea why my stomach hurts and its bloated? I used the "Nourishing Traditions" recipe for raw beef, Korean style, btw.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#2 of 29 Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Probably not used to digesting the raw red meat proteins, that takes some getting used to. Stuff like that you might need to start with small amounts and increase gradually.
#3 of 29 Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Probably not used to digesting the raw red meat proteins, that takes some getting used to. Stuff like that you might need to start with small amounts and increase gradually.
Oh ok, interesting. I had thought that it would be easier to digest since it was raw, but I guess if my body isn't used to digesting completely raw red meat, that could be it what you're saying, I hope thats it actually. Oh and finally my stomach is feeling better now, not fully recovered but better.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#4 of 29 Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Did you freeze it prior to eating? I've read that freezing for around 2 weeks kills any pathogens in raw meat...I am really not knowledgeable about this topic though.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#5 of 29 Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I did not freeze it for 2 weeks...Its only been frozen for about 1 week. The Nourishing Traditions raw meat recipes do say to freeze it for 2 weeks though. I ignored it because I thought it would be ok with the U.S. Wellness Meats. Uh oh.

#6 of 29 Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM

I often 'snick' bites of raw beef when i prep for, say chili, stew and the like, and i have for years. I think i have built up a tolerance for raw meats. I think it is a matter of time and going slowly. Glad you are feeling better!

Married to my best friend mom to dd (16) , DSS (15) and expecting our LO after 6 years!
#7 of 29 Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I need some reassurance here that I don't have parasites How important is it to freeze the meat for 2 weeks? Now that I think about it, that meat I ate only spent about 4 or 5 days in the freezer and then a couple of days defrosting in the refrigerator. I wasn't concerned about parasites before because I thought that as long as I'm having regular bowel movements every day, the parasites don't have enough time to set up shop. And I was also thinking about Aajonus Vonderplanitz and him not being afraid of parasites. But last night with my stomach being 3 times the size its supposed to be from being really bloated, my husband was like OMG and told my parents what happened and then my parents freaked out and said are you stupid, blah blah and then told me horror stories about how a couple ate some raw live snails and within 2 weeks they were dead because the snails had parasites, which ended up eating the peoples' brains, and then about how there was a lady who was having really bad headaches, and a surgeon removed this huge parasite worm from her brain, which they said was from eating meat.

My stomach is pretty much back down to its normal size now and I had a heck of a lot of gas this morning (and didn't have any gas yesterday), so I guess that helped, lol, and I'd say that my stomach feels mostly back to normal. I crushed up some raw garlic this morning and took that down with water, because garlic "kills everything" right?

#8 of 29 Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yeah garlic is recommended as a de-wormer for animals a lot so it should be good just in case. Also food grade diatomiculous earth maybe.
#9 of 29 Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM

You probably didn't get worms within hours of eating the meat (it takes longer for them to be fruitful and multiply). Bacterial food poisoning is a possibility. Also your food list seems to be 90% meat and cheese, so constipation also a possibility.
#10 of 29 Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
I need some reassurance here that I don't have parasites How important is it to freeze the meat for 2 weeks? Now that I think about it, that meat I ate only spent about 4 or 5 days in the freezer and then a couple of days defrosting in the refrigerator. I wasn't concerned about parasites before because I thought that as long as I'm having regular bowel movements every day, the parasites don't have enough time to set up shop. And I was also thinking about Aajonus Vonderplanitz and him not being afraid of parasites. But last night with my stomach being 3 times the size its supposed to be from being really bloated, my husband was like OMG and told my parents what happened and then my parents freaked out and said are you stupid, blah blah and then told me horror stories about how a couple ate some raw live snails and within 2 weeks they were dead because the snails had parasites, which ended up eating the peoples' brains, and then about how there was a lady who was having really bad headaches, and a surgeon removed this huge parasite worm from her brain, which they said was from eating meat.

My stomach is pretty much back down to its normal size now and I had a heck of a lot of gas this morning (and didn't have any gas yesterday), so I guess that helped, lol, and I'd say that my stomach feels mostly back to normal. I crushed up some raw garlic this morning and took that down with water, because garlic "kills everything" right?
You most likely are experiencing a detox reaction.

But unfortunately, you went about eating raw meat in the wrong way:
- You should NEVER eat previously frozen meat: freezing kills BENEFICIAL bacteria and allows some less beneficial bacteria to survive; Freezing severely damages proteins, creating waste in the meat you are eating; Freezing can also damage the fat in meat.

- Always eat ORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC, or fresh wild meat ONLY -- factory beef or other commercial meats are LOADED with pathogenic bacteria, bad fats, and countless chemicals... any or all of which may have contributed to your reaction.

- When eating meat, make sure to combine your meal properly, i.e., no carbs (raw or cooked), no alkaline veggies, etc.

- Do NOT fear bacteria; they are beneficial. Any bacteria/parasites can only eat pathogenic matter, i.e., material that does not belong in your gut anyway. Bacteria clean you up, they are nature's janitors.

I went thru the same ignorance and panics as you did when eating meat raw in the beginning. I have been eating fresh (never frozen), raw, organic meat of all kinds for 7 years with NOT ONE bad reaction. The health benefits have been immense.

Don't let your mind victimize you: eat only FRESH ORGANIC and you can't go wrong.

If you are still timid, you can marinate your meat VERY lightly in high quality olive oil, a LITTLE onion (about a tblspn per lb) or garlic (1/2 tblspn per lb), a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or organic red wine.

Eventually you won't want marinade, but many people enjoy them.
#11 of 29 Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I need some reassurance here that I don't have parasites How important is it to freeze the meat for 2 weeks? Now that I think about it, that meat I ate only spent about 4 or 5 days in the freezer and then a couple of days defrosting in the refrigerator. I wasn't concerned about parasites before because I thought that as long as I'm having regular bowel movements every day, the parasites don't have enough time to set up shop.
Aigh!! Run away, run away! If you're going to eat raw beef, it should be really really fresh. No matter what kind it is. It shouldn't be frozen and it shouldn't sit in the fridge for days defrosting or anything else! That is a bacteria's dream.

And bowel movements are unrelated to parasites or germs...you can be regular and still get all kinds of nastiness if you're not careful.
#12 of 29 Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think the problem was basically that I let the meat sit in the refrigerator for too long. Thinking back now, it was sitting there for 3 or 4 days. So, I ate a bunch of bacteria (all bad bacteria?) I guess, and it bloated my stomach. My husband was touching my stomach and calling me "pregnant" it was so big.

"Nourishing Traditions" says to freeze all meat for at least 2 weeks before eating it raw...so, what they are saying is conflicting with what a couple of people are saying here about freezing. If I remember correctly, I think they say to freeze it for 2 weeks because it is supposed to kill all parasites, and they say to do that for the raw liver that goes into homemade baby formula too.

I don't have access to any fresh meat, as far as I'm aware. Its all frozen

#13 of 29 Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 AM

OP, please be assured that you are most likely just fine. In this country, it's pretty rare to get a parasite from uncooked meat that could then survive in you. Not impossible, but rare, and most of them are easily treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagonian View Post
- Always eat ORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC, or fresh wild meat ONLY -- factory beef or other commercial meats are LOADED with pathogenic bacteria, bad fats, and countless chemicals... any or all of which may have contributed to your reaction.
- Do NOT fear bacteria; they are beneficial. Any bacteria/parasites can only eat pathogenic matter, i.e., material that does not belong in your gut anyway. Bacteria clean you up, they are nature's janitors.
To the above poster, I'm not sure where you got this information, but eating "fresh wild meat" is actually a great way to get parasites. And they do not consume only pathogenic matter (I'm not sure what you're referring to here...); depending on the parasite, they will eat your blood (e.g. hookworms), mucous in your digestive system (e.g. certain trematodes), your partially digested food (tapeworms), etc. The really problematic ones are those that find themselves in the wrong host (e.g. pork tapeworms in humans), and wind up migrating throughout your body, looking for--but never finding--the proper location to complete their life cycle. These are the ones that can become encysted in your brain, your eye, etc. and really do damage.

I guarantee you that most organic grass-fed beef cattle out there will have intestinal parasites. They're generally not much of a problem for the cattle, and if the meat should become contaminated during slaughter, they probably wouldn't be a problem for you. However, to a certain extent, you are playing with fire. Some people may be more resistant to parasites than others, and if that's you, that's great, but I would really proceed with caution before recommending that others should eat raw meat, particularly meat from wild animals.
bodhitree and springmum like this.

9/2011 items decluttered
#14 of 29 Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think the problem was basically that I let the meat sit in the refrigerator for too long. Thinking back now, it was sitting there for 3 or 4 days. So, I ate a bunch of bacteria (all bad bacteria?) I guess, and it bloated my stomach. My husband was touching my stomach and calling me "pregnant" it was so big.

"Nourishing Traditions" says to freeze all meat for at least 2 weeks before eating it raw...so, what they are saying is conflicting with what a couple of people are saying here about freezing. If I remember correctly, I think they say to freeze it for 2 weeks because it is supposed to kill all parasites, and they say to do that for the raw liver that goes into homemade baby formula too.

I don't have access to any fresh meat, as far as I'm aware. Its all frozen
Leaving meat too long in the fridge is NOT the problem. Remember, most quality beef is AGED. Why? To INCREASE the bacteria count, using it to tenderize the meat. I eat meat that has been dry aged 4 weeks. I don't worry if it gains bacteria in the fridge -- it is just aging, and beneficial bacteria are at work.

I SCOFFED at all this pro bacteria stuff in the beginning, too. But the theories of Vonderplanitz and others got me past it -- along with my own real experience.

BACTERIA is what will ENSURE healthy bowel movements. Unless you are willing to cook that meat in your freezer for an occasional treat, or can give it away, I would THROW IT OUT.

Do not eat non organic meat that has been frozen, period... full stop. You will regret it.
#15 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM

#16 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
To the above poster, I'm not sure where you got this information, but eating "fresh wild meat" is actually a great way to get parasites. And they do not consume only pathogenic matter (I'm not sure what you're referring to here...); depending on the parasite, they will eat your blood (e.g. hookworms), mucous in your digestive system (e.g. certain trematodes), your partially digested food (tapeworms), etc. The really problematic ones are those that find themselves in the wrong host (e.g. pork tapeworms in humans), and wind up migrating throughout your body, looking for--but never finding--the proper location to complete their life cycle. These are the ones that can become encysted in your brain, your eye, etc. and really do damage.

I guarantee you that most organic grass-fed beef cattle out there will have intestinal parasites. They're generally not much of a problem for the cattle, and if the meat should become contaminated during slaughter, they probably wouldn't be a problem for you. However, to a certain extent, you are playing with fire. Some people may be more resistant to parasites than others, and if that's you, that's great, but I would really proceed with caution before recommending that others should eat raw meat, particularly meat from wild animals.
#17 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, I read that having a parasite reduces allergies

sorry, had to throw that in there... I love that one.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#18 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM

You can look into FoodGrade Diatomaceous Earth if you're really worried about parasites.

So glad you're feeling better! Eat some fermented veggies/drinks today if you can, would be my suggestion.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#19 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
FWIW, I read that having a parasite reduces allergies
Giving people eggs from parasitic worms has shown promise in treating inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10973934). I'm sure there are other cases where they can do some good! After all, humans have had parasites for as long as there have been humans. It makes sense that if we suddenly take them away by living in modern, hygienic communities, our bodies may not get that message right away and our immune systems can run amok attacking other things.

FWIW, my horrible seasonal allergies disappeared completely after an exceptionally bad mosquito- and biting fly-filled spring. Coincidence? Probably, but I'll always wonder.

9/2011 items decluttered
#20 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
Giving people eggs from parasitic worms has shown promise in treating inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10973934). I'm sure there are other cases where they can do some good! After all, humans have had parasites for as long as there have been humans. It makes sense that if we suddenly take them away by living in modern, hygienic communities, our bodies may not get that message right away and our immune systems can run amok attacking other things.

FWIW, my horrible seasonal allergies disappeared completely after an exceptionally bad mosquito- and biting fly-filled spring. Coincidence? Probably, but I'll always wonder.
I know! it's fascinating, to me. My MIL was not impressed when I mentioned what I read about it. She has horrible allergies

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#21 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Arent' you supposed to cook meat?
Honey693 likes this.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#22 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
Arent' you supposed to cook meat?
Lots of cultures eat raw meat. Think steak tartare and sashimi...

#23 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any food allergies that I'm aware of. The raw meat was 100% grass-fed, from U.S. Wellness Meats.

#24 of 29 Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM

If you had it in the freezer for 5 days... then it was probably frozen alot longer than 5 days because US wellness meats freeze their meat before shipping for a period of time. It was probably a couple of weeks at least frozen. You could call them to verify this.

I think it would be interesting to experiment on the bloating of frozen.. vs not frozen raw meat.

But in my opinion... raw meat is actually harder to digest than cooked meat. Sure theoretically raw meat should be better since it still has enzymes.. since the proteins are not mutated.. and since heat destroys vitamins and minerals. But heat does something else as well.. it denatures the proteins.. unfolds them.. it actually makes it easier for your body to digest them. Your body takes less energy to digest cooked meat... and there are some theories put out that this is actually what allowed our brains to grow so large (because they consume alot of our energy) once we started cooking food.

I think good evidence that this is true is when people go all raw even with meat... they don't have exuberant energy like you would expect. At least that was my experience and from what I heard of others.
#25 of 29 Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 PM

You felt sick from eating too much of an unfamiliar food is all that happened. Next time have a little and wait.

For the poster who thinks the only "raw" food to eat should never be frozen you REALLY need to take a look

at food and food production. I promise you that freezing any meat for 2 weeks, or any fish, will kill the parasites.

I equally promise you if you decide to eat fresh raw fish that hasn't been frozen, you WILL have parasites from

this practice and please come back and post colorful pictures of your misery along with the multiple cures

you tried to get well.

its' NOT a joke, getting sick from parasites. IT can take many months to years to get rid of them if you

don't get a prompt/correct diagnosis.

The freezer is your friend.

keevelish likes this.
#26 of 29 Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I think you are fine.  The meat you get from Wellness Meats was frozen before they sent it to you, probably for a number of weeks at least.  We eat steak tartare from meat we got from there are we are fine.  People eat raw meat all the time!  Relax.  

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#27 of 29 Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, I eat questionable things all the time, like really old stuff I find in the back of the fridge or my homemade kombucha.  And I get stomach aches and I don't really know why, but sometimes I think the culprit is not the thing I usually blame.

My husband eats raw ground beef out of the package, straight from the regular grocery store.  My MIL does this too, but not to the degree my husband does.  So in part, I think it's what you are used to--he never seems to get sick from it.

#28 of 29 Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Aack!  Be careful, please!  Slaughterhouses are not clean places.   They are teaming with bacteria that can give you food poisoning. Thousands of animals from many different places in many states of health are cut apart with the same equipment.  Dangerous bacteria build up in these places.  In most states, it is the law that cows must be butchered in slaughterhouses.  Farmers aren't allowed to do it themselves.

In times past, slaughterhouses did not exist.  Butchering practices were entirely different.  The bacteria build up was probably quite different.  Modern slaughterhouses are yucky places.  I wouldn't eat anything that passed through them.  (I am assuming that you are eating raw beef as a traditional/paleo type food.)

I'm glad you're feeling better.

#29 of 29 Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM

lurk.gif

This thread is so fascinating. I've heard of sushi and of steak tartare, but have always associated the latter as only being served in fine restaurants and such. I had no idea that people actually make a practice out of eating raw meat! Like, sneaking a few bites of raw ground beef when you're fixing hamburgers? Wow.

Is it only fish and beef? What about poultry, venison, pork, etc.?

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page