What should I be looking for in coconut oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I just picked up a jar of Spectrum Naturals expeller expressed organic coconut oil. I would like to start supplement me and my family with coconut oil daily, and thought this would be a good brand. In my research on coconut oil, I came across an article on Dr. Mercola's site about coconut oil, specifically the brand he sells called Fresh Shores virgin coconut oil. He states that a good coconut oil will have the following attributes:

1) unrefined
2) Certified organic
3) no chemicals
4) no bleaching
5) no deoderization
6) no hydrogenation
7) made from fresh coconuts
8) made without heat processing

From what I can tell about Spectrum's CO, it IS refined, it doesn't say 'virgin' coconut oil on the jar, they use earthen clays to naturally bleach out the pink hues, and they do use heat processing. So I am assuming , from what Mercola's article says, that this is probably not the CO I am looking for.

Any CO experts out there, and if so, what do you think of Spectrum, and/or what CO would you recommend for daily supplementation?

Thanks!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM

nak

i don't know but i am sure interested....i use spectrum co every day!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#3 of 63 Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 PM

Here's a FAQ about different kids of CO.
We usually buy ours in bulk from MountainRoseHerbs.com

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
#4 of 63 Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 PM

That FAQ link didn't go through. Can you repost it?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#5 of 63 Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes please do repost the FAQ link! I m very interested. "-)

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#6 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Tropical Traditions is the best I've found. It is SO much better than spectrum! I cannot tolerate the taste of Spectrum at all and almost swore off CO after tasting it. Ugh. www.tropicaltraditions.com has a ton of info on CO. Their sales can be really good too. We go through a gallon every two months or so so I very much appreciate their one and five gallon offerings.

Nutiva is also good as is Garden of Life IMO. Hope you find what you are looking for!
#7 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Oops! Here it is: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm

Aimee CageFreeFamily
#8 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM

I've tried LOTS of different brands over the past 6 years or so. Spectrum was the first one I got too - I think its just the most widely available! Basically, you just want something that is "virgin" and unrefined... should say things like cold-pressed, raw, organic etc. In bigger chain health food stores, the best coconut oils will usually be in the supplement or beauty section rather than the oil aisle. Also, if I'm buying from a place online like Tropical Traditions and Wilderness Family who have different grades or different process oils, I tend to go with the "traditional process" ones that are made the way they've been doing it for generations...

Brands that I've liked are:
Mountain Rose Herbs (the BEST price on coconut oil, but you have to buy it in the one gallon bulk size)
Wilderness Family Naturals
Nutiva
Artisana
Tropical Traditions
Garden of Life
Jarrow

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
#9 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM

After reading the TT website I would like to try it. But I am quite confused at all their CO choices. Do you all go with the "gold label" or use one of the other ones?

#10 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone told me that TT gold label was unhealthy and unsanitary, and to get the green label. Any thoughts?
#11 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Just wanted to chime in that at our local natural foods store, several types of CO are available from Spectrum, including one that is unrefined, expeller pressed, virgin and organic, according to the label. It meets my standards, tho' I don't know if Mercola would give it a nod.
#12 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 PM

I just ordered then cancelled the TT order until I find out more about this "gold standard" issue (or non-issue.) Please post, TT users and tell us about which you use and why the PP was told the gold label was no good?

And treespeak, the Spectrum organic, unrefined, etc. CO was the one I had been using, but posts here made it seem like it was not good...I'm more than willing to try other CO but I also want to make sure I am spending my money wisely.

#13 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

And treespeak, the Spectrum organic, unrefined, etc. CO was the one I had been using, but posts here made it seem like it was not good...I'm more than willing to try other CO but I also want to make sure I am spending my money wisely.
I just think it tastes crappy. I dont' know how bad it actually is!

I feel like, on the extra limited budget we're on, that TT is the best choice for us. Sometimes I can get Nutiva cheap....but I wait for when I can get TT for a really good price. I usually go black label or green label...whatever I can get the better deal on. I do order in bulk.

Never heard anything out unsanitary! Please tell!
#14 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Someone told me that TT gold label was unhealthy and unsanitary, and to get the green label. Any thoughts?
I'm researching right now - would you mind sharing if you have any more info!? Thanks!

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#15 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 PM

one more thing - in NT, Sally Fallon says (IIRC) coconut oil should be "tasteless," but that seems to be different from what I've read on here - what about the actual coconut flavor/taste?

#16 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 PM

if it's expeller pressed there's no flavor. Virgin CO has a VERY coconutty flavor.
#17 of 63 Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
if it's expeller pressed there's no flavor. Virgin CO has a VERY coconutty flavor.
ooooy. I've got lots to learn and I feel like all I've been doing for 30 min is researching coconut oil, lol! Thanks. I was thinking virgin=expeller. Obviously NOT - lol! Thanks!

#18 of 63 Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrumpeter View Post
I'm researching right now - would you mind sharing if you have any more info!? Thanks!
I am going to contact my friend right away. I think what he was telling me is that the glold label is a long process and thy let the locals make it and flies are all around laying eggs in the oil and even though "fermenting" is a good thing usually, it is totaly gross in the TT gold labels method.

I haven talked to my friend for a while so I will have to ask him the specifics.
#19 of 63 Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM

Just sent him an email...
#20 of 63 Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM

Hi! Just checking to see if you've heard more about the gold label process. Their website doesn't make it seem like an unsanitary process, but still, when you're paying this much for something, you want to make the most informed decision you can (so will I get perpetually stuck in a static mode and never buy any?! LOL!)

#21 of 63 Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 AM

I still havent heard from my friend, but I wll let you know as soon as I find out.

Actually if you think about, the Gold Label process does sound kind of unsanitary. Sure "fermented" is great, but lettting 3rd world countries (please don't take offense by this statement), make their own share of the coconut oil and letting it sit out to ferment, who knows how much quality control is going on. You see there has to be alot made since TT is a big producer of cocnut oil, and how many people make it and can TT monitor it all?

People have given Dave at Green Pastures greif about his fermenting process for cod liver oil and he has strict standards and is a one place company.

Just some thoughts!
#22 of 63 Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 AM

I am not trying to promote this oil at all but here is a place that is selling fermented coconut oil and I have talked to the owner and they are a more strict quality control company:
http://www.laureece.com/
anyone hear of it?
#23 of 63 Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM

I have never heard this of this about the TT oil. We liked it, but we have been ordering from Mountain Rose for a few years and prefer this. It is a high quality oil that meets all of our standards and is SO cheap when we order it by the 5 gal bucket. This provides our years worth of oil for like $170 (I think... I need to go order more).

When we first started ordering it from MR we ordered with a small group of friends and split the bulk cost and oil amongst us.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
#24 of 63 Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 PM

I feel the same. No contest between MRH and TT. I have never heard it before either. It's quite possible, I've just never heard it before.
#25 of 63 Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Do you still get the same health benefits of coconut oil when it is expeller pressed and not virgin?
#26 of 63 Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

I got an email back about the fermented coconut oil. The website he provided is very good and I know I have much reading ahead of me. Really opens my eyes of the different worlds of coconut oil. By the way, I am not promoting any kinds of coconut oil. And the friend who sent this to me is very traditional foods based and promotes other kinds of fermented foods such as kefir, and lacto fermented veggies. So his opinion comes from a very good background:

Quote:
Dear,

Good coconut oil now-a-days are picked that morning and goes through the whole process the entire day and becomes coconut milk and coconut oil by the end of the day. The old fashion, they scoop out the flesh, sun dry it, ferment it with flies in the meantime landing on it and crawling over it, and the oil ends up looking a little yellowish and to say nothing about the sanitation significant amounts of nutrition is really lost.

Just go on to www.coconutoil-online.com 800-922-1744 and they have, in my opinion, the most modern, clean, facility that happens to have organic coconut oil by default. The people are too poor in the neighboring area to purchase any fertilizers. They simply go out in the 100,000 hectares of wild growing coconut, pick it and bring it to the factory.

Sincerely,
Thoughts? Opinions?
#27 of 63 Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM

I believe the less processed and closer to nature the more nutrients. I'm fine with flies and fermented, hand-picked coconuts.

The two big benefits of coconut oil that I know of are that it is a medium chain fatty acid which has specific health benefits for gut healing. And it is heat stable at high temperatures.

Pat

I have a blog.
#28 of 63 Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CageFreeFamily View Post
I have never heard this of this about the TT oil. We liked it, but we have been ordering from Mountain Rose for a few years and prefer this. It is a high quality oil that meets all of our standards and is SO cheap when we order it by the 5 gal bucket. This provides our years worth of oil for like $170 (I think... I need to go order more).
OMG, A 5 gallon bucket would take up half the space in my kitchen! LOL.

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#29 of 63 Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I got an email back about the fermented coconut oil. The website he provided is very good and I know I have much reading ahead of me. Really opens my eyes of the different worlds of coconut oil. By the way, I am not promoting any kinds of coconut oil. And the friend who sent this to me is very traditional foods based and promotes other kinds of fermented foods such as kefir, and lacto fermented veggies. So his opinion comes from a very good background:

Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks for sharing the link - never heard of that company (is this something I could research forever?!?! but I need to feel well informed to ask DH to shell out more $ for another new TF diet thing)

#30 of 63 Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrumpeter View Post
ooooy. I've got lots to learn and I feel like all I've been doing for 30 min is researching coconut oil, lol! Thanks. I was thinking virgin=expeller. Obviously NOT - lol! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_eyes View Post
Do you still get the same health benefits of coconut oil when it is expeller pressed and not virgin?
This is right where I am atm Could someone please explain for dummies? It seems all I can find here is expeller expressed.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page