Honey Fudge Recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i made this great and healthy fudge recipe and highly recommend it:
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...crmptious.html

but i'm thinking butter's not bad for you, so what about a recipe that uses butter instead of coconut oil, but is sweetened with only honey. is that possible? i don't have time or money to experiment, so i was wondering if any of you fine ladies has a recipe or any ideas for me.

also thinking about other holiday food gift ideas made with natural sweeteners. i've substituted sucanat in many cookie and cake recipes with no problem, but never candy. just wondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
i made this great and healthy fudge recipe and highly recommend it:
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...crmptious.html

but i'm thinking butter's not bad for you, so what about a recipe that uses butter instead of coconut oil, but is sweetened with only honey. is that possible? i don't have time or money to experiment, so i was wondering if any of you fine ladies has a recipe or any ideas for me.

also thinking about other holiday food gift ideas made with natural sweeteners. i've substituted sucanat in many cookie and cake recipes with no problem, but never candy. just wondering...

I don't know about the fudge recipe. I think fudge is one of those things you have to learn about while making.

But as for the candy, now my disclaimer is that I've not made it. But, in the "Little House in the Big Woods" book, they made candy. Ma boiled molasses and sugar together for "a long time" until it became syrupy. In the meantime Pa brought in big tubs of snow. The girls poured the syrup onto the snow making swirls and other shapes and essentially made candy. I'm thinking about trying it myself with crushed ice (or if I'm lucky enough, a good fresh snow).

signature currently in transition
Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM

There are actually lots of candy (chocolate mostly) recipes on that blog as well that have worked well for me.

The healthy indulgences blog also has some good candy recipes.

I'd think butter would work too--we are dairy free (and I think many of the recipes on that blog are) so coconut oil is best for us. Try it w/ butter and see! They are both solid-at-room-temp fats, and solidify more in the fridge/freezer. I don't think it could hurt!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 PM

I've made it with butter and it's worked just fine. I basically just mix butter with some honey and cocoa powder until it tastes right, then add in any extras like nut butter or shredded coconut.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

i bet you're right about the butter/coconut oil conversion. do you think honey, butter and unsweetened chocolate would work with no added sugar/sucanat? or do you think the cocoa holds it together?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 AM

Here is a link from "Passionate Homemaking"; it is a recipe for fudge using only raw honey, cocoa powder, and coconut oil. It is YUMMY!!!! http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/...reat-gift.html

She also has a peanut brittle recipe, but I haven't tried this one yet:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/...ift-treat.html

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
i bet you're right about the butter/coconut oil conversion. do you think honey, butter and unsweetened chocolate would work with no added sugar/sucanat? or do you think the cocoa holds it together?
I made a batch yesterday with butter, raw honey and raw cacao powder, equal amounts of each ingredient. It is delicious.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio

User Tag List