Mission: Make some TF GF sourdough bread UPDATE #6, IT WORKED! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the brown rice starter going and it is almot ready to try it in bread. Anyone have anything to share about this before I attemp it?

I am going to add lentil flour, so I have pre soaked and dried to lentils.

I got arrowroot and tapioca flour at the store yesterday. Which is better for bread?
#2 of 17 Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM

I personally can't stand the taste of tapioca flour and I usually use sorghum flour instead.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#3 of 17 Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
I personally can't stand the taste of tapioca flower and I usually use sorghum flour instead.
I had no idea that I could sub sorgum in place of tapioca. I have that stuff too. Learning something new everday!
#4 of 17 Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 PM

You might want to mosey over to everythingfreeeating.blogspot.com and take a look at her directions for making the bread. Use the starter you have you have and use her rising method. It couldn't be easier!

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#5 of 17 Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
You might want to mosey over to everythingfreeeating.blogspot.com and take a look at her directions for making the bread. Use the starter you have you have and use her rising method. It couldn't be easier!
I love her blog, but we are egg free and her recipe requires the fluffiness of eggs.
#6 of 17 Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sucess!!
I made sourdough bread, TF, and gluten free!! I am so happy to have some bread covered with ghee. Perhaps topped with fresh nettle gomasio.

It was egg free, dairy free, sugar free too.

Now I am going to experiment with different flours, and try quinoa next in place of rice, and perhaps a teff loaf.

I have been feeding my starter with teff and/or brown rice and have been using the excess to make injera/flat breads(more fluffy) to have with meals. Way easier than the whole sourdough bread process for some daily carbs.
I love my brown rice starter!
#7 of 17 Old 12-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Can you make a starter with something other than rice? My DS and I are also intolerant to rice and I've not bothered to try this.

<>< Alison
#8 of 17 Old 12-26-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Teff would be an excellent substitute and would actually work even better as I am finding.
#9 of 17 Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 AM

Is there a thread about your rice starter? I would love a detailed account of your method/recipe as we definitely need better bread around here!

Thanks!

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#10 of 17 Old 12-27-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaClaire View Post
Is there a thread about your rice starter? I would love a detailed account of your method/recipe as we definitely need better bread around here!

Thanks!
Actually everywhere I read say to add a little juice kefir and the it may not work out without it nand Idon't have any juice kefir so I just used water and flour.

Day 1
1/2 c water
1/2 c flour
Mix together in jar, cover. Place in warm spot. Winter home are too cold for a new starter, so I put mine in the oven with either the light on or boil a kettle of water and place it in the oven with door shut. If usinf the kettlem, you may have to remarn the kettle throughout the day.

Day 2
Remove half the mixture and add more flour and water to make it 1 cup of starter, flour andwater (so this means add a little less than 1/2 cup water and flour to your mixture.) Using a canning jar realy helps to have the measurement lines. The goal is to never feed it more than it already has when starting out. This is a young starter and yo don't want to overwhelm it yet with too much flour and water.

Day 3
Repeat day 2.
You may see bubbles this day which is a good thing.

Repeat day 2 for a few more days, and then when your starter is really bubbly and rising, you may then use it for bread. I then increase my starter by not removing any more starter to feed, but hn feeding it with a cup od flour and water and letting sit in warm spot, and then I have 2 cups of starter

If you try it, and need more directions, let me know.
#11 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Thank you bluebirdmama1! I just got my sourdough starter and this is very helpful.
#12 of 17 Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM

so after this, what is your recipe? and how did you bake yours? I haven't made bread for awhile...also, what flours did you combine?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#13 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Just posted this on a different thread, but wanted to update here:

Here are several ones I have tried:

This one has starches, and I know that is what people use when making sourdough GF, or any other kind of baked goods, but I try to use ingredients from their whole form. I try not to buy anything powdered.
But this one tastes the best without using eggs:
http://glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com/

This one I have not tried but many people I have talked to love. It uses eggs but we are allergic to eggs so I can only dream of trying it:
http://everythingfreeeating.blogspot...atharians.html

Here is the one I just tried:
3 c quinoa flour ( I am trying buckwheat flour today since the quinoa was very strong tasting)
1 c teff or millet flour
1 Tablespoon ground flax
2 tsp salt
1 c water (or more if needed to make sure the batter is wet)
2 Tablespoons oil
1 cup GF starter
-Mix dry and them wet all together. DO NOT over mix as a GF bread should be treated lightly. No kneading either. The mixture will be wet and very sticky. Just plop it in a pan and let rise in a warm are for 8+ hours depending on if it is big enough. Bake till done.
-I am not that happy with the flavor so I added maple syrup to my latest batch rising. Still it is good top have a healthy loaf of homemade yeast free bread.
#14 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 PM

thanks for sharing!

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#15 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

The buckwheat loaf came out pf the oven but I am too tired to eat it, so I will have to wait until the morning to see how it is. Why can't I make the best tasting natural TF GF sourdough loaf. Nothing comes close to wheat bread. If I did not love bread so much I would not keep trying. Flavor wise, the GF sourdough loaf with all the added starches was the best, but I am not convinced that those starches are the healthiest to have on a daily basis. How are they so white a processed looking?
#16 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM

What about arrowroot ... it is a TF, non-processed starch?

We usually use a combo of arrowroot and whole grain sorghum, this blend works great for us b/c the taste is so mild.
#17 of 17 Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
What about arrowroot ... it is a TF, non-processed starch?

We usually use a combo of arrowroot and whole grain sorghum, this blend works great for us b/c the taste is so mild.
Do you have a recipe to share, pretty please?

I would like to think that arrowroot is natural, but is it white from out of the ground? Just worried that it could be bleached. I guess this calls me to do some heavy research on it. I am fine with using it if it is "processed" for a treat but for everyday use, I am not for that. So hopefully it is all natural. If you find out more report back. Until then I will be checking into it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page