eating for fertility - suggestions or resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi folks,

My DP and I will not be ready to start actively trying to conceive for another year to 18mos. In the meantime, I want to start preparing my body to carry a child; I'll admit that a big part of the reasoning behind this is that I need to have something to do that makes me feel like I'm "getting ready", kind of to stave off the ache of having to wait so long. That being said, I figure it can't hurt to start early and have a super-fertile, super-ready body when the time comes! We are a 2-woman couple, and will most likely be using a known donor - so we won't have the added disadvantage of sperm being frozen, but will still be up against lower odds of conception than a hetero couple. I want to do everything to maximize our chances.

We don't eat totally TF, but we are moving in that direction. We have access to wonderful raw cheeses, local grass-fed yogurt and pastured eggs, and occasional raw dairy. We strive to eat locally and are pretty successful - all of our produce, eggs, dairy (except our butter, which is organic and cultured but not local), and what meat we can afford (not much, since we are young and poor and pastured meat is super expensive!) come from local farmers, and our bread comes from local bakeries. We could definitely incorporate more fermented foods into our diet, and we don't do the TF supplements at this point (CLO, coconut oil, etc.).

Are there any books specifically about eating for fertility that you folks have found helpful? Any personal experiences or suggestions to share? Anything at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much, mamas!

Sophia
#2 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM

This is totally what I've been researching, too. Thus far I've found this article helpful: http://theorganicchic.com/blog/the-fertility-diet/ It's meant to summarize what's in Nina Planck's book, Real Food for Mother and Baby.
#3 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Real Food for Mother and Baby by Nina Planck has a whole section devoted to how to eat while trying to get pregnant. She isn't hard-core TF (more so organic whole foods type stuff with a touch of TF), but that sounds like it may fit in well with how you are already eating.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 04:10 PM

Nina's book and Preconception care: Mineral Deficiency Test
thread if you have any nutrient deficiency concerns, thyroid or mercury issues.

Otherwise, I'd focus on whole food probiotics and food folate (*not folic acid which is synthetic and not as bioavailable).

Green juice and green smoothies. Kefir for immune support.

This is an informative Where to start? Help 101

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rami Nagel wrote a book on preconception health. I haven't read it, but it's very WAP/TF-oriented.
#6 of 6 Old 12-29-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Rami Nagel wrote a book on preconception health. I haven't read it, but it's very WAP/TF-oriented.
this was a good read but he focus on ALOT of raw meat/organ meats which I think for most is a little much?? Well at least it is for me But it's definitely a great read and resource to have when it's baby making time again!

Mollymae I like this site too
http://natural-fertility-info.com/fertility-diet

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page