Grain Free in 2010! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Ok here's the recipe. If you try it tell me if you made any changes and how you like it! I think tartar sauce is kind of a personal thing. I like mine with sweet pickles or sweet pickle relish.

I'm eating some right now on some brocolli and carrots for a late night snack cause I'm hungry and munchy

2 egg yolks
1 tblsp salt
2 tsp white wine vinegar (I use trader joe's white balsamic, very mellow)
juice of one big juicy lemon (i forgot to measure exact amount of juice, next time i need to do that
1 tsp worsestershire however to spell
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1.5 cups oil (I used an extra light olive)

1 shallot minced, a good sized one
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, or if you like dill, or minced cornichons or that type
2 tblsp minced capers
1 tblsp fresh parsley minced
fresh or dried dill

I use my fabulous Bamix immersion blender, but i think a food processor is a little better than a regular blender. Blend egg yolk through mustard, then drop by drop add the oil like your making mayo. Then add the shallot, relish, capers and parsley. I didn't have fresh dill so I used a tsp dried, but fresh dill is fancy and yum.

I think I have a love affair with egg and oil sauces lately
Yum thank you!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Made the yummiest dinner tonight--I made butternut squash pasta w/ my spiral slicer. (Thank you to whoever recommended that a while back!) I ate it topped w/ leftover meat sauce (frozen from a past meal) and it was amazing!!! I'm in love w/ this, and like it better than both the zucchini and potato pasta I've made in the past. Just wanted to share!
Ok, stupid question here but did you cook the squash after you cut it spiral? I can see eating zucchini raw but can't see eating butternut squash raw. Is it ok to eat raw???

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

I boiled it in water after cutting it into spiral noodles. Not sure for how long...but it was solid--not mushy, but not too hard...sorry for the poor description!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

For anyone interested in paleo diet(s), here is another forum that you might like: http://cavemanforum.com/index.php (cause we all need another forum to belong to!! )

Also, have you seen http://paleodiet.com and http://paleofood.com? Neato!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 AM

I made cauliflower pizza crust tonight. It was actually good. Even my picky kids ate it. It has so much cheese that I probably won't eat it often. I was very surprised by how much I liked it.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Bumping this to see if anyone is still around. I need some ideas for getting more fat and calories into my kids. We are on SCD, no grains, potatoes, corn, sugar, and while they have finally gained weight on this diet, I feel like they are eating a lot of protein. But the only ways to get more fat into them seem to be either nuts or dairy. I don't want to overdo the dairy because I don't think they tolerate it all that well. Some seems okay, but I get sinus troubles from it, and they seem to get stopped up if they have too much also. Plus, I just really keep thinking about, if this is really the way we are supposed to eat. Are we supposed to be consuming another species' milk?

I already use a lot of coconut and coconut oil. I am just feeling really limited right now, and I don't want to overemphasize any one food and develop a sensitivity to anything because we eat too much of it.

Any ideas? How else can I get more calories in? I guess I am mostly just venting here. Feeling like I am in a rut over what to cook lately. This happens in cycles, every few months. I feel like we are eating the same foods over and over and getting tired of it. I just feel like my kids eat a LOT of meat and fruit.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 PM

After reading the Paleo Diet book, (over and over) I find that the fats you need are found in interesting places. Eggs are a great source, and fish. We use canola oil and olive oil for cooking or making anything- eggs,to putting on our meat when we roast it.
The staple in our house is Mayo, though. homemade. It goes great on anything. The kids love to dip their sliced meat into it for snacks, or use it to make egg or turkey salad.
We are trying to get away from ground beef but when we do buy it, we try to get a bit more fat than typical for flavor and for price.
My kids eat a boat load of calories, I'm sure because we have really changed the way we eat- by that I mean, there is no longer 3 meals a day- more like 6. Each meal is the same size- no little snacks, then big meals. They always have meat, veggie, fruit. They eat about every 2-3 hours. They sit down for each meal- no snacking on the run. ( I use this to work on table manners, too). I also let them have 2nds, which they ask for, and never say "Don't eat the because it will spoil your appetite!" lol. That is never a problem.
I don't bother with fat intake, calorie counting, etc because I know they are getting what they need. We're on the 2nd yr of this diet, and still learning lots.
I agree, sometimes the meals get monotonous...for me. I tried to change it up once...didn't go over well with the kids. They are very set in their meals and never complain or say "Aw, Ma, burgers again?" It's usually me that gets bored.
all my best!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Can you do avocados? Lots of healthy fats in them and they have a mild flavor that can be hidden in other things (like put with a good quality cocoa and fruit for sweetners to make chocolate desserts).

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Bumping this to see if anyone is still around. I need some ideas for getting more fat and calories into my kids. We are on SCD, no grains, potatoes, corn, sugar, and while they have finally gained weight on this diet, I feel like they are eating a lot of protein. But the only ways to get more fat into them seem to be either nuts or dairy. I don't want to overdo the dairy because I don't think they tolerate it all that well. Some seems okay, but I get sinus troubles from it, and they seem to get stopped up if they have too much also. Plus, I just really keep thinking about, if this is really the way we are supposed to eat. Are we supposed to be consuming another species' milk?

I already use a lot of coconut and coconut oil. I am just feeling really limited right now, and I don't want to overemphasize any one food and develop a sensitivity to anything because we eat too much of it.

Any ideas? How else can I get more calories in? I guess I am mostly just venting here. Feeling like I am in a rut over what to cook lately. This happens in cycles, every few months. I feel like we are eating the same foods over and over and getting tired of it. I just feel like my kids eat a LOT of meat and fruit.
How about things fried in lard? Veggies or even fruit like apples. I'm sure you have a SCD cook book, the one I have has some great almond flour recipes for cookies, etc.

I would stay away from canola oil like pp mentioned though. That is not a natural fat. Good luck!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 AM

thanks for the canola oil link! (yikes!)

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

I cook in beef fat or lard if I have it. I just bought both beef fat and pig fat to render (but haven't done it yet ), it really adds to how satisfying basically anything is. It's more for meals than for snacks, and having convenient snacks is so darned handy, but if you up the fat for the meals, then you can get away with less fatty snacks maybe.

User Tag List