Grain Free in 2010! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, let's please keep this discussion on topic. Anyone is welcome to start a new discussion about diabetes in the Health and Healing forum.

The User Agreement requires that we:
Quote:
Do not post to invite MDC members to other communities, blogs or message boards for adversarial purposes or link to discussion about MDC at another site. Do not negatively discuss other communities or discussions elsewhere (this includes blog comments), regardless of whether or not you link to that discussion or community. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.
Inappropriate posts have been removed from the thread. Please also note:

Quote:
MDC serves an online community of parents, families, and parent, child and family advocates considering, learning, practicing, and advocating attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions concern the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support, information, and community. Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members. Please avoid negative characterizations and generalizations about others to respect the diversity of our online community.
Quote:
Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.
Quote:
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by using the report button marked by the "!" in every post, email or private message. If upon review we determine that removal is necessary, we will make every effort to remove objectionable messages within a reasonable time frame. If you feel another member is behaving in a manner that is in violation of these rules, do not take matters into your own hands. Let us try to resolve the situation. Simply alert the moderator of the forum or the Board Administrator.
Quote:
The opinions offered at Mothering.com and MotheringDotCommunity are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking care because of something you have read here. Discussion should focus on requests for information, personal experience a nd support rather than requests for a diagnosis, prognosis or personalized treatment plan that could be construed as medical advice.
Quote:
Considering the real time nature of the board, it is impossible for us to review all messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of all posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of MotheringDotCommunity or any entity associated with this bulletin board.
Any questions, please PM me. Now back to Grain Free in 2010

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#62 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Phenomenon View Post
Where are you getting profound from ? this person didn’t even imply there were profound changes.

Her DH tests his blood sugars less often, takes fewer injections. He is still presumably taking 1 or 2 injections a day and testing his blood sugar upwards of 4.

Surviving an A1c of 143 would be profound. Curing your child’s type 1 diabetes by denying her beans (among other things) like you asserted you did would be profound.

I don’t see anything about a person with diabetes taking injections and testing his blood sugar everyday that is profound.
(Although it demonstrates good judgment, and guidance from a competent physician.)
Ok after this I'm not going to respond to this debate anymore and try to just sick to primal discussions about primal grain free living.

I believe it's profound for a diabetic to research how to live a healthier life, when diabetic nutrition advice is all about eating whole grains and lots of fruit and veggies. Most don't. Most blindly follow the advice of their physician.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#63 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
amyjeans, do you find that your grass-fed, organic grain-free diet is a lot more expensive?
That is what I want to know too. How expensive is this? And do meals get boring of just meat and veggies?
#64 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
That is what I want to know too. How expensive is this? And do meals get boring of just meat and veggies?
We spend about $800/mo - including sundries (baking soda and vinegar for cleaning and no-poo, bar soap, dish soap, tp, etc), with no eating out, no convenience foods or premade snacks or even coffee grabbed on the go. Dh takes his lunch to work, and dd and I pack lunch for playgroup days. However, dd and I usually get Larabars and split a carrot/apple/ginger/lemon juice at the co-op once a week for our special treat.
Meals can be boring until you get in the mindset to relax and enjoy the simplicity, and pure flavor of real food. We had a naturally cured ham from our pastured pig, kale sauteed w/garlic and bone broth, and pureed parsnips for Christmas dinner. So simple and satisfying, I'm sure many people wouldn't consider it a celebratory meal but to us it was just so yummy and nourishing. It did take me as long time to make the mental shift to get to this place, though.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#65 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Meals can be boring until you get in the mindset to relax and enjoy the simplicity, and pure flavor of real food. .

I agree on this 100%, after a while, meals can get dull, but then you get finicky on the real flavors. After a while, your taste buds change.
We make our own items now, which saves $, too. Like mayonnase- or bbq sauce.

BTW- your dinner sounds DELIGHTFUL!!

On another side note:
what really got me motivated to keep on this was Gary Taubes "Good Calories/Bad Calories" book and his seminar here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1487661765149# (long but worth it)

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#66 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Not at all. It's *harder* in that you can't really grab food anywhere and you have to cook all your meals. It takes planning. However it's not boring as there are an infinite number of combinations of flavors and textures that can be achieved with veggies, fruits, spices (simple spices!) herbs, nuts, meat, eggs and seeds. Honestly, you could eat for a month and never duplicate a meal with very little effort.

I don't find that it's more expensive. I also find that we dont' need to eat as much since everything we do eat is very calorie dense. We don't need to snack. So the food costs more, but you need as much if that makes sense. IT may take a few weeks to settle in though. When I made the transition 4 years ago or whatever I recall eating everything I saw for a week or two. It was all "legal" so to speak, but nothing satisfied my hunger. I was totally in withdrawal from sugar and gluten and once those receptor sites started dying my appetite normalized.

You will spend more when you are buying top of the line ingredients, but that's true of any diet. I just make smart choices and buy in bulk when and where I can.
#67 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm never bored with grain free cooking!!!

I really like topping chicken with yummy sauces, like curry sauces, or seafood (kind of a steak neptune idea but on chicken!) and herbs and spices rock my world.

I agree that your tastes definitely change and become more sensitive.

I am going to hop back onto my blog starting next week and FairyRae has inspired me. I will be giving myself a no sweetener/sugar challenge! I'm really excited to try to create some treats without any sugar or sweeteners. I will be relying solely on fruit! Gulp, wish me luck ladies!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#68 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm loving Elana's Pantry site right now, I'm hoping to get her book for my bday! The only things I don't like about her recipes are that she used agave necter and grapeseed oil. So I always substitute honey or maple syrup for the agave and coconut oil or butter for the grapeseed. I made several of her recipes for holiday treats and they turned out awesome! Even my non-TF friends loved the Almond Butter Blondies!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#69 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckgag View Post
To follow a diet such as that of a "hunter, gatherer" one would need to consume carbohydrates. It is impossible to live without any carbohydrates whatsoever. Carbohydrates are needed for energy by the body. We cannot get that energy from meats and fish alone.
What about the traditional Eskimos that Weston A. Price studied? Only meat and fish and some of the healthiest people in the world.

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#70 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Because there is so much good stuff in them, just wanted to post some older grain free threads here, esp. for those of you who haven't read them:
Another Paleo/GF Support Thread?
Grain free meals thread
Is there a current grain free support thread?
where do you get paleo / grain-free meal ideas?
grain-free baking
Paleo diety folks?
ideas for paleo bag lunch?
Pumpkin Seed Flour Anyone?

GAPS/SCD mamas
Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) "slow and steady" support thread
SCD chefs...let's share!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#71 of 281 Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
It is impossible to live without any carbohydrates whatsoever. Carbohydrates are needed for energy by the body. We cannot get that energy from meats and fish alone.
It's not impossible at all. Just very difficult to do in our society. But I don't see where anyone on here was claiming that they were going zero carb. Low carb, grain free, paleo, they all still contain vegetable matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
I have found for myself, that dairy was a tough thing to give up- especially in my coffee!
But now, if i try it, since it's been so long, it just makes me feel ill.
Back to working to completely grain free- we still eat meats (beef, chicken etc) that are grain fed. It seems to be challenging to find grass fed beef (accept online).
Anyone gone this step yet?
Milk is a hard one for me, too. But if I'm not mistaken, my little guy has a problem with it, so it's going to become necessary at some point.

We have gone entirely grass fed, maybe 2 years ago now. It took some time to find sources for everything, but it can be done.

Quote:
amyjeans, do you find that your grass-fed, organic grain-free diet is a lot more expensive?
Yes and no. Like anything else, if you're buying steaks and fine cuts, it's more expensive. I buy mostly roasts, ground meat, some organ meat. But depending on the week I might spend $50-100 just on meat. In order to afford the meat, I had to cut the produce budget, which I did by joining a CSA. We do have a freezer for storing meat - so when it's on sale I buy extra. And when the spare freezer is no longer needed for breastmilk, we'll start buying meat in bulk. But like someone else mentioned - after doing this for a while, we no longer need as much food. When we first started, the 2 of us could sit down and polish off 5 pounds of buffalo wings. Now we couldn't finish 2 (pounds).

Quote:
My meat budget is $50-100/week, produce is $45/week, and everything else might be $50/week, depending on the week (although that's including dairy and some grains right now). But, we live in one of the most expensive COL areas in the country, and I'm buying local as well as organic and grass-fed. Oh, and we get more produce than we can eat - so I try to dehydrate much of the extra for snacks. During the winter I'm thinking of dropping my produce budget to 30/week, but during the summer the summer fruits make it worth the extra money.

Meals *can* get boring - particularly if you get stuck in a rut. Periodically I'll notice I'm there and it's time to pull out some old faves that we haven't had in a while. Right now, with the baby, we're eating mostly roasts because they don't require a lot of time in the kitchen. I used to make a lot of stir-fries or curries. Some old faves to trot out when we get bored might be sloppy joes (from scratch) or chili (served over mashed potatoes or cauliflower). It kind of shakes things up and makes me start thinking about the food again instead of just going on auto-pilot.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#72 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I will be giving myself a no sweetener/sugar challenge! I'm really excited to try to create some treats without any sugar or sweeteners. I will be relying solely on fruit! Gulp, wish me luck ladies!
Woo hoo! I hope you're more successful than me...I've had some pretty sorry cookie batches and even my ds, who typically eats anything I make that's remotely cookie-ish, didn't want more than one. Please let us know how things go! I was thinking to try boiling then pureeing dates at some point to use as a sweetener, as mentioned in another thread, to try out next...as soon as I make something that is ok, I wikk totally share!

I'm excited to see what you come up w/!!!

I traditional foods
#73 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Woo hoo! I hope you're more successful than me...I've had some pretty sorry cookie batches and even my ds, who typically eats anything I make that's remotely cookie-ish, didn't want more than one. Please let us know how things go! I was thinking to try boiling then pureeing dates at some point to use as a sweetener, as mentioned in another thread, to try out next...as soon as I make something that is ok, I wikk totally share!

I'm excited to see what you come up w/!!!
Thanks for the encouragement! It is definitely a challenge to cook without so many traditional baking "neccesities"! Many of my christmas cookie adventures were complete flops. Sigh...

#74 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
I have found for myself, that dairy was a tough thing to give up- especially in my coffee!
But now, if i try it, since it's been so long, it just makes me feel ill.
Back to working to completely grain free- we still eat meats (beef, chicken etc) that are grain fed. It seems to be challenging to find grass fed beef (accept online).
Anyone gone this step yet?
I have a couple of farmers (1 local with on-farm pickup, 1 who drives to my town 1x a month, so not quite as local) that I get grass-fed beef, grass-fed lamb, pastured chickens (and eggs from the local farmer) and acceptable (to me) pork from. I think I found out about one from either www.eatwild.com or www.localharvest.org. The local one I found out about because he also sells eggs to the grocery store I shop at. I know of at least 3 semi-local other places I can get some grass-fed meat from as well if needed. I guess there are some benefits to living in an agricultural area - even if most of it is corn and soybeans.
#75 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 AM

Here's a really interesting article about a man that ate only meat for years.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/1935/11/0019032

I'm not giving up my fruits and veggie's but it is possible to eat only animals. The key is to eats the organs, bones, and fermented animal, in addition to the fresh meat.

I'm low grain and gluten-free and eat more fruit/veg than anything. :-)
#76 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Trying to jump back in here, but hard to figure out what to comment on !

On meat we finally found a local source we could afford so split part of a grassfed cow w/ someone, so not super cheap, but definitely cheaper than store organic- plus it is local. It was $3.63lb- and since I split the side I could afford it as I didn't have to shell out so much at a time, plus my freezer was mostly full of grassfed chickens- I buy a years worth at a time- I save money by putting a deposit down, buying in bulk and bagging myself. This year I saved as well by helping to butcher 2 days.

On meals being boring- NO Way! Meals can be inifinitely exciting depending on what you put into them. So, many wonderful veggies out there and spices, herbs, flavors- cooking techniques- ethnic cooking choices as well. However, I will admit at first it is hard when you aren't accustomed to it- your brain doesn't think of all the options and you tend to go back to all you cannot eat, instead of what you can eat. And as PB said at first you will want to gnaw your own arm off and you might get a bit of the "flu" if you you from high carb to low carb- but after that it is soooooooo worth it.

And at the risk of stirring the pot. I have had hypoglycemia issues since I was prego w/ #1(6 yrs ago). I had thought that I fixed it eating every few hrs as is conventional wisdom. However, I was a slave to food and I was really just treating the symptoms. Now, giving up gluten was a HUGE step towards getting well(as we know celiac's and other autoimmune disorders are linked) but it still wasn't quite right. However, I have found that going even lower carb(although it is not lc everyday, but I cycle up and down) and doing some fasting I just don't hardly think about food near as much. I can miss a snack or a meal and it is ok. I don't eat like a pig anymore. I am more satiated on less.

I am amazed at this as a couple of years ago when I first read abotu IF'ing I thought there was no way I could do any kind of fast as I was hypo and I would just pass out. However, I kept reading testimonials of people who were hypo or even on the diabetic side and how well it is working for them for stabilizing their blood sugar. So, at first it still didn't work but as I have taken out gluten and continued to tune my diet I found that I naturally went into this pattern- without even realizing it at first and my energy went through the roof and I didn't understand why at first. I don't think it is something one should necessarily jump into, but want to put that out there, keep it in the back of your mind when listening to your body, maybe your body is telling you the same thing! It is just often we are so programmed by conventional wisdom that says we have to eat so often that we cannot hear it when I body tells us otherwise(on that and so many issues!) Anyway- that is my PSA for the day

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#77 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
To follow a diet such as that of a "hunter, gatherer" one would need to consume carbohydrates. It is impossible to live without any carbohydrates whatsoever. Carbohydrates are needed for energy by the body. We cannot get that energy from meats and fish alone.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Carbohydrates are not essential nutrients in humans: the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats[9][10].
You need fat and you need protein. But there is no nutritional requirement for carbohydrate. None. One can survive on zero carb intake.

Minimally, a low-carb adapted person does need about 50g of glucose per day for brain and red blood cell function. But you don't have to get that glucose from carb intake! If you don't take in at least 50g of glucose from food, your body will convert protein to glucose to meet that need.

Cool, huh? I'm a biologist, and I only learned this recently.
#78 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
If you don't take in at least 50g of glucose from food, your body will convert protein to glucose to meet that need.
Thanks for clarifying this--I think I incorrectly posted you could convert the glucose from fat--but was wrong. Glad you piped in on this!

It is absolutely fascinating to me--I just learned this recently as well in another grain free thread here...

I traditional foods
#79 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I am amazed at this as a couple of years ago when I first read abotu IF'ing I thought there was no way I could do any kind of fast as I was hypo and I would just pass out. However, I kept reading testimonials of people who were hypo or even on the diabetic side and how well it is working for them for stabilizing their blood sugar. So, at first it still didn't work but as I have taken out gluten and continued to tune my diet I found that I naturally went into this pattern- without even realizing it at first and my energy went through the roof and I didn't understand why at first. I don't think it is something one should necessarily jump into, but want to put that out there, keep it in the back of your mind when listening to your body, maybe your body is telling you the same thing! It is just often we are so programmed by conventional wisdom that says we have to eat so often that we cannot hear it when I body tells us otherwise(on that and so many issues!) Anyway- that is my PSA for the day
Thanks for the PSA --I'm really interested in this stuff! I've been skipping breakfast on the days I have yoga class (1x a week), and waiting to eat until the afternoon those days, and have really felt totally fine doing it, and even good--totally energetic. Today was my class and I really didn't even feel like I HAD to eat lunch after I got home, but did b/c everyone else was eating. I've also JUST starting *trying* to eat 3 separate meals (instead of a bazillion snacks all day), just to see how it feels, and to give my digestive system a break. I did well yesterday, and we'll see how today goes. I love trying all this stuff out, and am excited to see where this takes me!

I traditional foods
#80 of 281 Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Thanks for the PSA --I'm really interested in this stuff! I've been skipping breakfast on the days I have yoga class (1x a week), and waiting to eat until the afternoon those days, and have really felt totally fine doing it, and even good--totally energetic. Today was my class and I really didn't even feel like I HAD to eat lunch after I got home, but did b/c everyone else was eating. I've also JUST starting *trying* to eat 3 separate meals (instead of a bazillion snacks all day), just to see how it feels, and to give my digestive system a break. I did well yesterday, and we'll see how today goes. I love trying all this stuff out, and am excited to see where this takes me!
I have found that my yoga practice has benefited so much from IFing before. I'm am so energised and my movements are more... hmmm... far reaching?

I love not feeling panicked and crazy if I don't eat. Hunger is managable, and definitely real hunger, versus sugar cravings!

#81 of 281 Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I have found that my yoga practice has benefited so much from IFing before. I'm am so energised and my movements are more... hmmm... far reaching?
This was totally me yesterday, while IFing the morning and going to class. Everything just felt lighter and easier (and it's NOT easy). But it was all just more *there* for me. Crazy!

I've been reading through these posts on IF and health--fascinating stuff! It's so counter to everything I thought b/4, but most of the stuff I've found helpful and true for me has been! Because of the health benefits, I'm thinking to try and build it in regularly--like IFing 3x a week--stopping eating by 7 the night b/4, and skipping breakfast and eating at 12 or 1, every other day or so. I'm still working on the whole eat 3 separate meals a day w/ out snacking (which is really hard for me--and it's all habitual), but I may focus more on IFing for a certain period of time and then just eating whenever in the non-fasting time, as I find the IFing (the little I've done at least) to be far easier than not snacking during my eating hours....

One thing at a time I guess! I'll certainly post back on how I feel if I follow through w/ this IFing stuff, which I feel I will!

I traditional foods
#82 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Well, I just chose to have lentil soup this morning instead of a bread product. Yay!!!! I know, it's still legumes, but it's a move in the right direction!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#83 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yay LTB! One step at a time! And I sure don't think legumes are a 'bad' thing. I've found myself naturally limiting them more and more, but don't feel guilty when I indulge in them. And lentils are full of folate!

I traditional foods
#84 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks!

I feel really tired, though. I'm coming down from my sugar "addiction" of the holidays. Any ideas for a healthy extra-energy boost?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#85 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Hi all! I'm Rebecca, stay at home, homeschooling mama to 4 kiddos. New to the thread and being grain free, but not to the TF forum. Our family recently started a modified version of the GAPS diet after being gluten free for the past few years (except for dh who ate some wheat in our previous diet). My 3.5 yo son had slowly become sensitive to pretty much every single grain he was exposed to (even rice) and to a bunch of other items as well. Then this past fall he was diagnosed with a serious autoimmune kidney disease and has been on high dose steroids ever since. We've eaten mostly healthy organic foods (a good portion TF) since he was born so it was really a shock to have something so scary happen to him. Luckily he is considered in "remission" at this point, but they tell us that a reoccurance is more of a "when" vs "if" scenario. I'm not okay with that nor do I believe that it has to be that way.

Our oldest child (5.5 yo dd) has Aspergers and our 20 month old seems to have significant sensory issues which have made life really frustrating at times. Both dh and I have our own issues that we've heard can be helped by being grain free as well. DH has always really resisted dietary change (except for grassfed beef, he was all for his former vegetarian wife saying he could have more beef ) so the fact that he is 100% on board with our new diet is really saying how much he wants to feel better.

We decided to skip any sort of intro diet at this point since we have a brand new baby and figured that it would be too much stress on our 3.5 yo's body right now anyway. We are focusing on eating more GAPS and TF type foods and eliminating ALL grains and cane sugar. We are dairy free and the kids are just getting a trial intro to nut products so we are pretty limited at the moment.

Here's my one point that I need a little help on: Ideas for grain free, dairy free weekday lunches? Preferably with no nut products, easy to prepare since I have a 3 week old and my other kids are having behavioral issues. Typically I'd worry about cost as well, but right now I'm just trying to not worry about that! We've been doing leftovers or sliced bologna/liverwurst (from US wellness) and fresh fruit/veggies. DS needs lower sodium foods because of his kidneys and so I'd prefer to keep the processed meats to a minimum

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#86 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I feel really tired, though. I'm coming down from my sugar "addiction" of the holidays. Any ideas for a healthy extra-energy boost?
FAT!

Have some bacon, or a coconut milk green smoothie, or some coconut oil on a spoon (If you can do that, I can't! )

#87 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Here's my one point that I need a little help on: Ideas for grain free, dairy free weekday lunches? Preferably with no nut products, easy to prepare since I have a 3 week old and my other kids are having behavioral issues. Typically I'd worry about cost as well, but right now I'm just trying to not worry about that! We've been doing leftovers or sliced bologna/liverwurst (from US wellness) and fresh fruit/veggies. DS needs lower sodium foods because of his kidneys and so I'd prefer to keep the processed meats to a minimum
Here is a list of our fave lunches:

Leftovers
Soups (my boys love love LOVE soup and I can make it and serve for a few days!)
10 min stirfry (I buy those organic bagged stir fry veggies, throw them in a hot pan with lots of butter or coconut oil, and some homemade stirfry sauce, and chicken or shrimp. Easy, delicious, healthy.)
Meatballs. We do asian style (they taste like chinese dumplings/potstickers without the wrapper! and italian style. I freeze a bunch at a time and then it's just a matter of re heating and throwing sauce and broccoli on top.)
Egg salad salad (egg salad with homemade mayo on salad greens)
BLT salad (bacon, tomato, salad greens, dressing, I usually just use my cesear recipe and then add some dijon mustard)
Chef salad (meat, cheese, hard boiled egg, salad greens, veggies, homemade ranch dressing or vinniagrette)

But our fave lunch is the snack platter:

Meats (usually some cooked leftover chicken, ham, turkey pepperoni etc)
Cheese
Veggies and dip
(lots of) Devilled eggs (These last really well in the fridge, so we always have hardboiled/already devilled eggs in our fridge for snacking on)
cold shrimp
jerky
nuts
fruit

#88 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM

can you tell me how you make your meatballs like a rough recipe lil earthmama?
#89 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mmmm--I want the Asian recipe (spices, etc.).

Celestialdreamer-- Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate right now! I think it's awesome you're doing GAPS--looking into GAPS is what really brought me to wanting to eat a more primal/paleo diet.

some lunch ideas: (We mostly do leftovers for lunch, and I *just* made a list of meals to make, so I'll share some of them. I reheat stuff on top of the stove or in the toaster oven, but if you have a micro it would be fast!)
-salads w/ HB eggs or meat (leftover) or nuts
-egg salad on a lettuce wrap
-zucchini pasta (if you are going to be grain free, I'd HIGHLY recommend a spiral slicer--I linked a great one in the first post on this thread.) w/ meatballs (grnd meat, spices like basil, parsely, salt/pepper, etc--I add fennel and crushed red pepper to add an italian sausage flavor too, w/ 1 egg, some pureed liver hidden in ) and pasta sauce
-burgers (fast) cooked on the stovetop in ghee, w/ lacto-fermented pickles, some better BBQ sauce (we use this a lot here) and mustard and a salad.
-chicken legs (cheap!) w/ bbq sauce, brocolli or salad etc. (best reheated for lunch)
-chicken pot pie filling (I use arrowroot to thicken broth [NOT gaps legal!], and cook cut up chicken, onions, carrots, celery etc. until everything is a bit mushy, plus spices) Eat like a soup--reheats on stovetop fast. Or any other soup/stew reheated at lunch time.
-taco meat (ground meat w/ taco spices, w/ pureed liver and bone broth thrown in), eaten in a lettuce wrap w/ salsa
-caveman chili (w/ pureed liver and some bone broth thrown in)
-salmon/fishcakes (sometimes Italian style w/ Italian seasonings, eat w/ sauce on top, or more like a burger and eat w/ pickles and mustard in a lettuce wrap)
-if you can afford it, a slab of meat w/ a side of veggies--porkchops, steak, chicken, fish etc... (this is typically a dinner, not a lunch--usually no leftovers from those nights!)

snacks (only b/c I just made a list ): green smoothies, homemade 'ice cream (just frozen bananas, frozen berries, coconut milk and vanilla extract blended together), 'trail mix' made of nuts w/ coconut flakes and raisins/dried fruit, homemade lara bars--food processed dates w/ whatever nuts you tolerate, maybe a bit of coconut oil (I refrigerate them to keep them solid), deviled eggs, fruit w/ nut butter, coconut flour muffins, nut flour cookies.....

I traditional foods
#90 of 281 Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Lauren, thanks for that, awesome ideas!!!

I'm doing good, the water weight continues to pour off me. (Seriously I think I retained about 10 lbs of water in December from eating carbs, it is crazy!)

I have been very generous with my fat to help with the hunger/coming down off cravings. I can tell things are starting to even out.... after a dinner of homemade chicken soup (just left out the noodles), tangerines and a (small cheat, which I'm backing off of once I come up with a better substitute) low-carb crackers with cream cheese, I was perfectly satisfied and not hungry before bed. That's a clue that I'm on the right track.

I am trying to eat seasonally and so I'm not excited about buying salad mix and doing big salads all the time (thinking of Mark's Daily Apple approach) so other ideas are appreciated. I have some squash on hand, will cook that soon, also will be trying to get cabbage and some dark greens like swiss chard at the store tonight.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page