Grain Free in 2010! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Anyway, I've been sort of wary of the TF board b/c I am-- gasp-- a vegetarian. I have been veg all my life and I just don't think that would change unless I really was, well, starving or something. Anyway, I am not interested in debating this and I am not a vegetarian crusader, just thought I'd throw that out there b/c it sure does make my life a little more challenging. I haven't caught up to all the pages, but are there other people like me on here? Am I allowed to join in?
Welcome emmaegbert! Of course you can join our discussion.

My SIL is a vegan, and I respect her beliefs and would never try to debate or change her. I do however try to show her healthier ways of eating vegan, as she eats a very SAD vegan diet.

I'm sure being veg*n makes being grain/sugar free much more challenging for you! Are you lacto-ovo?

As far as fruit sugars go, I typically keep it to one serving of fruit a day if that. Right now I'm going to do some fun baking challenges (mostly for my kiddos) on my blog because I'm convinced I can whip up some tasty grain/sugar/sweetener free treats!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
mashed cauli w/ coconut milk and ghee
Can you tell me how you make this? I have a head of cauliflower staring at me from the fridge and I am looking for something good to make with it this weekend. TIA!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

WAYYYY easy. Just cut/break the cauli apart into pieces (size doesn't really matter, whatever will fit in the pot you're using.) Boil until semi-soft (not too soft, IDK, you kind of just have to feel it). I strain the cauli, leave it in the pot, then use an immersion blender to break/mash it. So, it won't be as soft as potatoes when you're mashing, but it will break up easy enough anyway. Add some full fat coconut milk while blending (I like to use more of the cream part--the thick stuff--I use it to replace both the milk and butter in traditional mashed potatoes), and salt and pepper to taste. (I add a lot of salt and pepper--I think it masks the coconut flavor which my husband doesn't really like, but he doesn't even really notice it when I add salt and pepper.) That's it. You can add ghee as well or butter etc. (we only do ghee for dairy atm b/c of intolerances, but if we had butter, believe me it would be slathered in it!) So that's all. I'm sure there are better directions online somewhere--mashed cauli is a pretty common low-carb food. I would totally add garlic as well but dh hates when he can taste it.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
Can you tell me how you make this? I have a head of cauliflower staring at me from the fridge and I am looking for something good to make with it this weekend. TIA!

I eat this ALL the time. Just steam cauliflower, or put a small amount of water in a pot, add florets and cover until very soft, then mash. Just like you'd mash potatoes but with a lot less effort. For my kids I use a ricer and do potato and cauli mash, but i eat just cauliflower
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 PM

we posted at the same time fairyraey
Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 AM

We love mashed caul here, too. I leave it a bit chunky, cause that's how we like it (don't overcook it). And I blend it with cream cheese to give it that creamy texture... a little garlic and blue cheese make it fabulous.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks all, definitely making some mashed cauliflower tomorrow!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 AM

Why can't caramelized onions be low carb? Grain-free, yes. Low carb, not so much. But they're so good!!!! They were made with lots of ghee and eaten with bacon so hopefully that helps

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
we posted at the same time fairyraey
Yum! I'm glad to hear all the mashed cauli ideas--I'm pretty new to it and loving it!

I traditional foods
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Welcome emmaegbert! Of course you can join our discussion.

My SIL is a vegan, and I respect her beliefs and would never try to debate or change her. I do however try to show her healthier ways of eating vegan, as she eats a very SAD vegan diet.

I'm sure being veg*n makes being grain/sugar free much more challenging for you! Are you lacto-ovo?

As far as fruit sugars go, I typically keep it to one serving of fruit a day if that. Right now I'm going to do some fun baking challenges (mostly for my kiddos) on my blog because I'm convinced I can whip up some tasty grain/sugar/sweetener free treats!!!
Thanks for the welcome (and I'll have to check out your blog for some ideas!).

Yes, I am ovo-lacto which helps. I ate a *lot* of eggs when I cut out the grains and other carbs. And I have to rely a lot on nuts and seeds, I do eat legumes in moderation b/c I noticed when I was preg that they really didn't spike my blood sugar as part of a meal, and I have to get some protein. But it still can start to feel extremely limited. Especially if I'm trying to eat out of my home. We do eat soy (not gigantic amounts, but I personally think that in moderation, traditionally prepared, its okay for us). Cow milk has so much naturally occurring sugar that I've been making and drinking nut milk (YUM!) instead.

I love the ideas for mashed cauli here. I've heard of that and never tried it. Did make a yummy cauliflower/bean soup last night that I pureed to a chunky texture, and everyone loved it.

I've been making my own coconut milk a la Mark Bittman's recipe. Its easy! b/c I didn't really like the taste of canned plus there are all the cans, and the can lining stuff... and it seems hard to find organic coconut milk often. And I think its cheaper (not that I checked it out). But maybe I should have some around for quick meals. What kind of coconut milk do you all like?

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-09-2010, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hey emma--I like Thai kitchen coconut milk personally--smooth and creamy--yum!

If you look in past grain free threads, I have a recipe for a sprouted lentil grain free bread that might be a good protein rich addition to your menu!

I was a very unhealthy veg*n for years. Food sensitivity issues led me to move towards a gf, dairy, soy, corn and egg free diet (we got eggs back after some gut healing thankfully!), then added in some meat, and later TF (which I'm sooooo grateful for) and now grain-free/semi-paleo/primal eating. But I actually came up w/ a vegetarian menu plan for my (former) vegetarian mom that was TF and pretty balanced (and simple too.) I think it's totally possible to eat a more TF diet and even semi paleo and be vegetarian (I don't personally feel it's ideal for me, but each of our bodies are so unique and have different needs--I sure can't claim to know what's best for another.)

In case it's helpful, my mom's veg*n menu plan was something like this (and I've grain-free'd it to fit w/ this thread). At each meal be sure to include:

- a good sized serving of animal or vegetable protein, w/ a minimum of 2 servings animal protein a day. (So, eggs in some form at at least one meal: breakfast style--fried, scrambled etc. etc--the possibilities are endless even grain-free as there are almond or coconut flour pancakes and waffles etc..., lunch/dinner style like egg salad, quiches, hb on a salad, etc., yogurt, cheese etc. at one meal (if you do dairy), and then another animal protein at another meal and/or veggie protein from nuts/seeds/legumes, traditionally prepared soy (which I don't think is the devil when *traditionally* prepared Ds has a sensitivity to it so we avoid it totally though), etc. Sprouting legumes makes them so much more digestible for me. I think utilizing coconut flour is an awesome way to get more eggs/protien in! I just made some coconut flour muffins tonight that were soooo good. I've posted the recipe in the past--maybe I'll repost in this thread (they are sugar free.) I do think there is a wide variety of ways to get really healthy, nourishing vegetarian protein in.

- a serving of greens and/or other veggies--be that in a green smoothie, salad, cooked veggies, raw veggies w/ dip, veggies in a soup or part of a larger casserole, etc...

- a good source of fat (cooking in butter, dressing food w/ EVOO, using coconut oil--coconut oil bark is so yum, making things w/ coconut milk, etc.)

- for filler, some other starches such as fruits/veggies/tubers, baked goods made w/ almond/coconut flour etc.

- digestive supportive food, something including probiotics like fermented veggies (kimchi, kraut, pickles, etc.), kefir (dairy or non-dairy), yogurt, kombucha, etc.

I then made up a list of meals she really liked, and organized them into breakfasts, lunches (leftovers typically), and dinners for the week. It seemed to be helpful for her. I'm all about balance, and love balancing my own meals in a similar manner. My meals are set up like this, just now (since going more paleo) w/ less of the filler (although I still eat my fair share of fruit--I've been phasing out tubers though and feeling fine w/ it), and my animal protein has a wider range b/c I include poultry, meat and fish. We are dairy free so that factors in as well, and I mostly avoid legumes, but do indulge in them once in a while.

Anyway, hope this is helpful to you!! I really like designing meal plans for myself, and probably spend more time on creating them than I actually do following through with them (although I am cooking all the time--just not typically in the same order as the meals on my plans. They sure do inspire my kitchen experiments though!)

ETA: some ideas for veg*n grain free meal ideas:
-cauli pizza crust w/ cheese and veggies on top
-spaghetti squash or zucchini pasta w/ sauce and cheese or pine nut ricotta (google it--its amazing!)
-breakfast for dinner--almond or coconut flour pancakes or waffles topped w/ stevia sweetened whipped cream, green juice or smoothie on the side
-vegetarian sprouted kidney bean chili, topped w/ sr cream or plain yogurt, served w/ a green salad--could serve over riced cauli (The lentil bread I mentioned has a taste similar to cornbread--might go well w/ this.)
-veggie/miso/lentil soup (or stew==potatoes can add a real stew like quality, as can adding a bit of arrowroot to thicken.
-sprouted black bean tacos (using lettuce wraps or making it a taco salad)--sr cream or plain yogurt, chopped veggies, lacto fermented salsa, sweet potato chunks etc for toppings
-homemade veggie burger patties--finely chopped veggies, nuts/nut flour, maybe beans, mixed w/ eggs to keep it solid--served w/ a lettuce wrap, mustard (or sauces of choice) and pickles and maybe cheese?
-egg salad on a lettuce wrap, quiche, egg bakes, deviled eggs, souffles, etc.
-eggplant parm (using almond flour for breading)
-lentil loaf (instead of meatloaf) w/ mashed cauli and broccoli on the side (one of our faves)
-coconut milk veggie curry, some kind of Indian dal (lentils can sprout quickly!)

I know its a lot of bean stuff--these are just some thoughts I had and wanted to add. HTH!

I traditional foods
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM

oh thanks for all these ideas! I also love to cook and plan food, so its hard to feel like I have all these limitations... I have to approach it as a challenge...

Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 AM

Maybe if some of us post our daily menus it will help inspire those of us who are struggling?

Today's menu:
B- egg custard with sliced almonds and orange zest (honey sweetened)
L- didn't eat much, just snacked on deviled eggs
D- Pesto marinated pork chop, spaghetti squash with pesto

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 AM

I need to become acquainted with this phenomenon that is "spaghetti squash" Does it really sub well for spaghetti? How does one prepare it? I am intrigued. Less than a week in here, and I'm having a hard time also. Tuesday night I made burritos, so there was some rice and beans and tortilla, not so low carb, and not grain free. And DH worked late and I waited dinner for him so by the time he was home around 8:30 I was famished and ate 3. Usually I eat 1 to 1.5. I was so full, and felt awful. Then Wednesday morning the boys had a Dr appt in the morning, so I didn't get my smoothie made, and we were out of the house all day so I packed some lunch, but drove through Wendy's for a soda, and by the time we got home in the afternoon it had all gone to pot and I had another soda and chex mix. Going to try to start today off right with my smoothie, and hopefully the rest of the day will follow. I find it a lot easier if I start well, because I don't want to ruin an already good day. If I get off to a bad start I feel like "why bother".

Today's plan:
B- Green smoothie
L- Big Ass Salad, cottage cheese
D-??? Maybe something with chicken?? IDK

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 AM

I find that I roast some type of meat every day. I throw it in to the oven in the morning, and its either done by lunch, or slowroasts done by dinner. Sundays are our big cooking days.
We like to purchase a whole pork shoulder, season with a bit of oil and a homemade rub, then roast at 250 for abour 7-8 hrs.
Then pull the skin and bones off, and leave it in its juices in tupperware.
Then I pull abit of the meat off, and throw it in a pan to crisp up with our bbq sauce.
I buy the turkey breast- w/out any dark meat (Shady Brook Farms i think?)
Roast again with some lemon pepper seasoning- and slice for lettuce wraps or turkey salad with homemade mayo.

Our menu every day is Meat, Veggie, Fruit each meal
Breakfast-9a: Eggs somehow, bacon or sausage, banana, pepper strips
Snack 1030a: banana chips, walnuts, raisins and a pear
Lunch 12p: Turkey breast, pineapple, raw broccoli with mayo
Snack 2p: Melon, carrot sticks, really good dark chocolate from Trader Joes
1st Dinner 5p: Burgers with fruit salad and cauliflour salad
2nd dinner 7p: Roast pork in bbq sauce, steamed carrots, Green salad and banana

The menu changes all the time and the kids never get bored, or are picky, and always eat everything.

Recipes:

Homemade bbq sauce
2 cups good ketchup (organic)
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp black pepper
1 capful of liquid smoke

mix together on stovetop until warmed through- then toss with your favorite meat! store for 1 week

Homemade Mayonnase
6 eggyolks
juice of 1 whole lemon
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt and pepper
2 tbsp sugar (we use raw)
3 cups oil (we use canola)

place all ingredients *accept oil* into a food processor. Start machine running and then drizzle slowly the oil through the top of the lid (with the little hole in the top)
let it run until all the oil is mixed in.
It keeps for about 3-4 days in the fridge

Save the egg whites for coconut macaroons!

Coconut Macaroons:
makes about 40 cookies.

6 egg whites
2 cups raw sugar
5 cups raw unsweetened coconut
2 tsp real vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.
Using a mixer- whip eggwhites until soft and fluffy (not dry), add sugar and vanilla until mixed thoroughly.
remove from mixer and stir in coconut.
grease lightly some cookie sheets.
Wet hands and form into golfballs (don't flatten!) re-wet your hands often.
place on cookie sheet and cook for about 12-15 minutes, or until tops are light golden.
cool and eat!

ALSO-
best burgers:
1 lb ground beef
1 can tomato paste
2 tbsp yellow mustard
6-7 leaves of greens (any type)
1 onion
salt and pepper

in a food processor- puree the greens and onion

mix with meat and all other ingredients
form into patties and fry or grill or broil.

The kids eat about 3 burgers each and dip into mayo or ketchup.
I chop mine up and put over a salad with mayo and Franks hot sauce!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
I need to become acquainted with this phenomenon that is "spaghetti squash" Does it really sub well for spaghetti?
I don't love it, but have been obsessed w/ zucchini pasta, which DOES sub well esp if you have a spiral slicer (I'm obviously obssessed w/ mine!!!)

Love the menu posting idea Cristeen!

Today:

IF breakfast, ds and dh will have eggs, maybe sausage too and some fruit (I have apples and pomegranate in the fridge)
L: I'm debating on whether it will be taco salad (grnd beef w/ spices, some bone broth and liver, lettuce and salsa) OR spaghetti sauce (made w/ grnd beef, liver, bone broth and tomatoes, gasrlic, onions, peppers and spices) w/ zucchini pasta...(I just need to use up this grnd beef!), maybe a green smoothie as well
S: 1/4 cup mixed nuts and seeeds and a little dark chocolate
D: Probably more of whatever I make for lunch

Yesterday was
B: eggs w/ sausage & green smoothie
L: Indian 'butter chicken' (dairy free) w/ cauli rice (leftovers) and rest of green smoothie
S: 1/4 cup mixed nuts w/ a little dark chocolate (I made some baggies of these for the week)
D: porkchops and sweet potato fries and broccoli

MMM Amyjeans, I want to come eat at your place! Talk about variety!

Cristeen, would you share your custard recipe? I've never made custard but NEED to--sounds yummy!

I traditional foods
Old 01-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
I need to become acquainted with this phenomenon that is "spaghetti squash" Does it really sub well for spaghetti? How does one prepare it? I am intrigued.
This is my preferred method - it turns out an al dente texture instead of the more mushy texture you can get by baking it whole. Take the squash, slice off the top and bottom, cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, drizzle with olive oil and put cut side down on a sheet pan. Roast at 350 for about 40 minutes. Pull them out, flip them cut side up, and take a fork and with the tines, scrape lengthwise to break up the flesh until you hit resistance (undercooked squash). Pop back in the oven as is for another 10-15 minutes. Pull out, and let cool a bit. Then with your fork keep scraping down to the skin.

Then I'll heat some oil in a pan with some garlic, red chili flakes, and last night some pesto, toss the spaghetti in and just give it a toss then serve.

As for the rest, I highly recommend meal planning, shopping, and cooking ahead. With a busy schedule like you have, don't rely on being able to make breakfast fresh every morning. Have something already prepared as a back-up. If you're hungry at night and your DH is running late, have a snack rather than allowing yourself to become ravenous.

Quote:
Cristeen, would you share your custard recipe? I've never made custard but NEED to--sounds yummy!
For each 1 c custard you need 2 eggs, 1/2 c dairy (I go heavy cream usually), 1 Tbsp honey (or whatever sweetener you like), and flavorings. I have 10 1 c ramekins, so I can make a (work) week's worth of custards for the two of us in one go. They stack in the fridge. I put 5 ramekins in a half-sheet cake pan, drop a handful of berries or nuts in the bottom of each, then evenly distribute the egg mixture between them. Fill the sheet pan with water about halfway up the ramekins and pop in a 300F oven for 60 minutes. By changing extracts, spices, berries, nuts, you can keep it interesting week to week.

Something else I used to make for breakfasts was a pound cake - with a base of cream cheese, eggs and almond flour, it's actually really high in protein. As is cheesecake if that's your preference. Just cut the sweet back drastically.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
For each 1 c custard you need 2 eggs, 1/2 c dairy (I go heavy cream usually), 1 Tbsp honey (or whatever sweetener you like), and flavorings. I have 10 1 c ramekins, so I can make a (work) week's worth of custards for the two of us in one go. They stack in the fridge. I put 5 ramekins in a half-sheet cake pan, drop a handful of berries or nuts in the bottom of each, then evenly distribute the egg mixture between them. Fill the sheet pan with water about halfway up the ramekins and pop in a 300F oven for 60 minutes. By changing extracts, spices, berries, nuts, you can keep it interesting week to week.
*drool* Sounds simple and sooo yummy! I will totally be making this, probably trying coconut cream in place of the dairy. I'll report back after I try it!!!

I traditional foods
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
pjs

Breakfast- 2 hardboiled eggs and greek style yogurt
Lunch- leftover mongolian beef (i did have a little jasmine rice, but I'm trying to use up what I have and not buy it anymore!)
dinner- bacon & cheese chix (thanks to the crockpot lady), salad, asparagus

I'm trying for a low glycemic/grain/sugar free diet. So far i'm doing pretty well.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Honestly, I was amazed by how DELICIOUS butternut squash is with marinara sauce. What are some other things that taste good with it? I think I seriously prefer it to actual pasta! It does not appeal to my dh, though, he is incredulous when he sees me eat it. So I need other ideas to put with it, since one squash yields quite a lot, and so far I'm the only one eating it. Might introduce it to my 3 yo, she's sort of like Mikey, she'll eat anything.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
Honestly, I was amazed by how DELICIOUS butternut squash is with marinara sauce.
Ok, I seriously need to try this, as I'm certain my spiral slicers could do wonders w/ a butternut squash, and using summer squash is certainly NOT seasonal atm!!!!

Thanks for the idea!

I traditional foods
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 AM

well I'm also vegetarian and trying to eat low carb in general, so my menu might not inspire many of you... anyway this is my menu from today the guys have slightly different food (they're not really on board with this as much as me). I find I feel better and end up eating better if I snack- I'm nursing an 8mo though, so that might be why.

breakfast: 2 eggs, strips of green pepper, sliced avocado w/ sea salt, pomegranate
snack: homemade nut "truffles" (ground nuts with coconut, cinnamon, cacao nibs, sweetened w/ stevia, rolled into balls)
lunch: big salad, bean chili with sour cream and cheese (we were out)
afternoon snack: cheese, celery stalks (when we were picking up our CSA box, yum, they just looked so good!)
dinner: leftover nut-seed-mushroom-veggie loaf with sour cream, green salad.
before bed snack: frozen blueberries with sliced almonds and some nut milk.

BTW I tried cauliflower-crust pizza (I think someone linked to that earlier in this thread) and it was really great! I at the leftovers for lunch the next day. I kind of based it on this one, http://www.gofrolic.org/gofrolic/foo...uten-free.html

Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
*drool* Sounds simple and sooo yummy! I will totally be making this, probably trying coconut cream in place of the dairy. I'll report back after I try it!!!
It works great with coconut milk, or you could even do it with nut milks... just be sure that you're getting enough fat in it - that's why I tend to use heavy cream, all that fat makes it so filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
Honestly, I was amazed by how DELICIOUS butternut squash is with marinara sauce. What are some other things that taste good with it? I think I seriously prefer it to actual pasta! It does not appeal to my dh, though, he is incredulous when he sees me eat it. So I need other ideas to put with it, since one squash yields quite a lot, and so far I'm the only one eating it. Might introduce it to my 3 yo, she's sort of like Mikey, she'll eat anything.
Have you tried it with pesto or alfredo? Both should work well if marinara works. But personally I usually go for butternut or acorn just mashed with butter.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 AM

I have so not been good w/ menu planning but flying by the seat of my pants lately. Dh is going grainfree/lc/paleo as well though so I need to be a bit more with it. Last night we had chipolte burgers w/ carmelized onions- roasted red pepper and roasted portebello mushrooms w/ some homemade garlic chipolte mayo and homemade slaw- YUM!

today will be tuna salad for lunch- served in lettuce leaves and then tiliipia- maybe blackened I think and stir fry veggies-

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Went a bit overboard on protein yesterday but probably not too bad:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 chicken sausage
Lunch: Can of tuna mixed with 2 T. of mayo, 1 T. avocado oil and some lacto-fermented relish
Dinner: Grass-fed steak (marinated in oil, vinegar, garlic and spices) and warm spinach and bacon salad with leeks.
Dessert: 2 Pumpkin Pie muffins made with almond flour (recipe from Elana's Pantry).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Today's plan:

B: green smoothie, two eggs and 1 sausage, cooked in ghee ( That was good!)

L: rest of my green smoothie w/ leftover zucchini pasta and meat sauce

S: nuts w/ dark chocolate

D: I think it will be roasted chicken legs w/ better bbq sauce, w/ salad or some other green veggies (and for ds and dh, oven baked curly fries--I used my spiral slicer and did some potatoes last night--I'll post on how they come out!!! I've been *trying* to avoid tubers at the moment...we'll see how I do tonight! I may not avoid these guys! )

Dogmom, I've been doing lots of reading on the protein and calorie restriction thing irt Primal Body--Primal Mind. (Link is to her blogpost on protein. Not sure if ther recs are part of why you mentioned having too much protein.) I'm thinking similar benefits that Nora describes can be done just w/ IF (based on all of the reading I've done--I could totally be wrong!) It seems her argument is based on the studies about calorie restriction being beneficial--she mentions that calorie restriction on just carbs and protein are where the benefits lie--that calorie restriction on fats doesn't really matter, which is why I think she recs such high fat, moderate/lower protein, very low carb ratios. It's something I didn't get at first and struggled w/ understanding AND attempting to implement, but now I'm feeling like the benefits she discusses are possible *just* by IFing regularly enough (b/c of the calorie restriction that will naturally happen.) This personally feels better to *me*, as I really enjoy my protein and feel like getting a larger amount than Nora reccomends is good for me (more along the lines of MDA recs for protein--.7-1 g per lean body mass I believe? I don't think it's a ton more than she recs...) And IFing has felt much more natural to me lately and way easier than cutting back the protein/carb content of every single meal...

Hope this makes sense--it's just something I've thought lots about and am so interested in learning about more and discussing!

I traditional foods
Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 PM
pjs

breakfast- 1/2 hardboiled egg (shared with ds)
snack- celery w/ranch dressing
lunch- bacon and cheddar chix (leftovers) and greens salad w/chix
dinner- dumplings (had to use them up and fridge/cabinets are bare!), carrots
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 AM

Dinner tonight was excellent... I browned some Bockwurst then set it aside. Tossed a sliced onion into the skillet, got a little color on it, added half a head of cabbage, wilted it, then pulled it all out, and tossed 2 potatoes that I had sliced into fingers, browned them, covered the potatoes with cream, added the cabbage on top, then the sausage, covered the whole thing and let it simmer almost an hour.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM

Today has been a bit light on the food. Breakfast was a huge scramble - potatoes, ham, sausage, eggs, cheese, parsley.
Dinner is buffalo burgers on a bed of spicy mushroom pate, topped with pesto and cheese, served with cheesy garlic fries.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Cristeen- your meals sound wonderful!

Today was a busy, busy day for me... *sigh* Cleaning out my 6 yo's bedroom and many other chores, didn't have much time to cook. Let's just say that my meals were mostly based around eggs (what I turn to for quick/easy.)

Question... so cauliflower is low-carb then? (yes, i'm slow to catch on. ) How many people actually *like* cauliflower rice, etc? Does it add much nutritionally? Can you make up a big batch, and then reheat, or at least keep on hand to cook? I'd be the only one eating it, trying to decide if it's worth the bother. Though I could make a pizza crust too and try that.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

User Tag List