Grain Free in 2010! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 281 Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start a new grain free/paleo/primal thread. Hope you all are doing well!

I just came across this: http://our21daydiet.com/Recipes/Recipe%20Index.htm which seems to have some pretty cool recipes--I'm wanting to look into it more.

And, for those of you who do tubers, I am LOVING my new spiral veggie slicer: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-.../dp/B0007Y9WHQ (sweet Christmas present!!! ) I used it to make potato pasta--FABULOUS w/ traditional spaghetti sauce and meatballs--ds loved it. I'm sure it will make amazing zucchini pasta and more! It rocks!

Can't wait to learn more about paleo/primal/grain free eating this coming year!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#2 of 281 Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 PM

I'm in!

I never thought about potato pasta. Interesting! I mainly do zucchini and squash pasta with some beet thrown in now and again. Amazing with pasta sauce and fresh garlic! I also love throwing in sausage. Drool.
#3 of 281 Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to need to try all sorts of 'pastas' now--this spiral slicer is way too cool!! Mmmm...sausage...

I made the crepes from the link I posted b/4--way yummy w/ some whipped coconut milk cream and cooked berries (were frozen and I mixed them w/ water and mashed...soooo good)!

Quote:
Coconut Flour Crepes
Makes 4 - 6

Whisk and let stand 5 to 10 minutes:
2 Tbs. butter (melted)
2 free-range chicken eggs
(pinch of xylitol made from birch trees)
(dash of nutmeg)
(? tsp. of pure vanilla extract)
? tsp. sea salt

Mix in:
2 Tbs. organic coconut flour

Lastly mix in:
½ cup raw (coconut) milk

Heat some (coconut) oil in a skillet and pour in about ? cup of batter. Quickly rotate the skillet so the batter forms a big, thin circle (about 7-8 inches). When
it starts to bubble and edges begin to brown, flip it over; cook 1 or 2 minutes.

Flip each side in towards the center (around a filling). Garnish to taste with:
(fresh organic berries)
(slivered organic raw almonds)
(chopped organic raw nuts)
(organic cream [whipped])
(Syrup)
(Yoghurt)

You can make the crepes ahead of time, refrigerate, reheat (and stuff), serve.
I used a *hint* of stevia in place of the xylitol--way yummy! I'll be making them again for sure!

I traditional foods
#4 of 281 Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Subbing!

I have a toddler! 7/27/09
#5 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 AM

Subbing!

I really do like being grain-free. 6 months ago I would have never imagined I could eat this way let alone be happy.

Tonight's easy and yummy dinner:
Marinated strips of grass-fed round steak in some oil, red wine vinegar and steak seasoning (from Frontier). Cooked the meat and sliced leeks in bacon drippings. Added a little tarragon vinegar. Poured the whole thing over a big bowl of baby spinach, tossed and served.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 AM

I'm in! We are slowing making the transition to grain free. I personally like using coconut flour/almond flour better than soaking or sprouting stuff, because its so much easier (no really thinking ahead! Love the link you posted, checking it out now!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#7 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM

I'm in as well. I got both Primal Body-Primal Mind and The Primal Blueprint for Christmas. I'm halfway through both and I don't need any more convincing (though I will finish the books!) Today was actually my first day and I think I did pretty well. Looking forward to 2010!
#8 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 AM

YES, I'm in!
#9 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 AM

still here as well! I love how gf makes me feel as well, it is just not always easy to stay motivated. I love that slicer- will have to look into getting one, usually I make veggie pasta by hand , which means I am often too lazy to do it so end up just using chopped veggies which isn't as exciting and fun Feeling pretty darn great lately which is amazing considering I have a 1 month old(not to mention the 2.5 and 5 y.o. as well).

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#10 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM

I'm in! I've been trying to do this, but it is a hard adjustment when dh and ds aren't as willing.
#11 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

crunchy_mama--the spiral slicer is way easy to use and easy to clean (from someone who refuses to juice b/c the juicer is just a pita to clean!) I totally recommend it!

Lainiemama--ITA about using coconut and nut flours--way easier than gluten free baking w/ grains as well! Coconut flour is my fave at the moment...way fun and easy to use!

dogmom--that sounds so yummy--I need to try it!

JElaineB--both of those books have been huge for me as well. I'd love to continue a discussion on protein and recommended in Primal Body--Primal Mind. For *my* body, I'm currently feeling like her protein/fat/carb ratio recs may not be for me, but it's something I'm really interested in continuing to learn about...

kristenok18--we're here for you if you need support! And any steps we can make in this direction (no matter what the set backs) are better than none IMO!

Woo hoo! I'm glad we're all here! Yay!!!

I traditional foods
#12 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
still here as well! I love how gf makes me feel as well, it is just not always easy to stay motivated. I love that slicer- will have to look into getting one, usually I make veggie pasta by hand , which means I am often too lazy to do it so end up just using chopped veggies which isn't as exciting and fun Feeling pretty darn great lately which is amazing considering I have a 1 month old(not to mention the 2.5 and 5 y.o. as well).
well, you went into it pretty strong and healthy! Congratulations!

I agree. I've had the spiral slicer for years and though I am WAY lazy in the kitchen it gets a lot of play since it's so easy to clean.

I hear ya on the juicer. That's why I switched to an auger style. WAY easier than a centrifugal juicer-I never used that because I couldn't stand having to clean it!
#13 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
I'm in as well. I got both Primal Body-Primal Mind and The Primal Blueprint for Christmas. I'm halfway through both and I don't need any more convincing (though I will finish the books!) Today was actually my first day and I think I did pretty well. Looking forward to 2010!
They are both excellent and motivating books! Congratulations!!! You are going to love them. I really, really like the Primal Blueprint (though I still haven't read it cover to cover) and PBPM is also fantastic. That I have read through!
#14 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Google-ing auger juicer right now...

(I've just been doing blender-made green smoothies in place of juicing, although I think I'd love to try juicing again--esp w/ greens!!)

I traditional foods
#15 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Now I'm tempted to get a spiral slicer thing...my first thought was that it was probably a pain to clean.

Had my 6 mo DD tested for allergies for 100 foods the other day. She's EBF so it really is about what I have to give up. In addition to a primal diet (I'm already living without dairy) I've had to give up tomatoes, chocolate and wine. She's also allergic to all things soy and although we normally avoid soy, I would occasionally make a dish with tamari. Ultimately she was allergic/sensitive to 15 things on the list of 100 foods. Sigh. What we do for our kids...

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#16 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM

I'm hovering around the GF-realm. Not quite sure we will go this route fully, but I'm working on it! Most of my family love their wheat based junk, so it will be a tough go, but I guess, as I usually do, I will make some compromises. Like cereal (I know, I know, but I have to go one thing at a time) for breakfast, but making a great healthy dinner with something like rice or potatoes. So not totally grain free, but I think I really want to focus on gluten-free for me.

I am making a resolution to do my best, though, as opposed to going for broke all the way. I usually do that, and I find I burn out to quickly and revert to bad habits.

So here I am!

signature currently in transition
#17 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM

We are so, so close to grain free right now. Gave dd a small buckwheat pancake the other day (after not having any grains for a few weeks) and she didn't poop the next day (uh, and honestly neither did I) so I guess that solves that. Now I just have to hope and pray that we can find some eggs to tolerate, as being egg free is my main hesitation in going grain free. It's so hard to bake grain free w/o eggs!
I did get the holiday menu mailer from www.heartofcooking.com and made her pumpkin bars with cashew date frosting using 2 flax eggs and baking powder to replace the eggs. OMG TDF! So good, so very very good. I only used 1/3 c of honey.
I am getting a juicer to for Christmas/my 30th b-day! I think I decided on a Samson juicer since it can do all a twin gear can but doesn't cost as much. This one:

http://www.samsonjuicers.com/samson-gb-9001.htm

And in other news, I really need to focus on fat. I almost can't eat chicken anymore because I feel so unsatisified afterwards. We are really blowing through our side of beef that I thought would last 6 months. I think it will be gone by the end of next month.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#18 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Oh, the other thing I forgot to say is umm, I love beer. What do grain free peeps do for an adult beverage? I know alcohol is poison, but sometimes you need to pick your poison, right?
Maybe honey wine from Wild Fermentation?

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#19 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM

look at the omega 8003 too. I was between that and the sampson when I got mine but the omega had better ratings and a far better warranty for the same price point. I've been nothing but thrilled with it!

I don't really do adult beverages. Not my thing. I do kombucha and occasionally (like twice a year?) have a glass of red wine. I'm no help in that department. Sorry! DH does brandy, wine and vodka occasionally. NO more beer here except on very special occasion and then it's GF.
#20 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Oh, the other thing I forgot to say is umm, I love beer. What do grain free peeps do for an adult beverage? I know alcohol is poison, but sometimes you need to pick your poison, right?
Maybe honey wine from Wild Fermentation?
Voila!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#21 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 PM

I'm in!

It took me an hour just to read this thread, thanks to all the fascinating links that led me on to other fascinating links. Now I know that water kefir is something I must try. I've always ignored discussions about it before. And I've added books and the spiral slicer to my wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
Ha! I was going to post that but I'm glad to see someone beat me to it!

I wish it was easier to find wine made without sulfites.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#22 of 281 Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

So, for those of you not avoiding too many carbs, I did a blend of a gluten free tortilla recipe from Heart of Cooking and a bread recipe at Spunky Coconut. (I've made the braided bread--it rocks, and is grain free!) They came out awesome--ds LOVED eating (grain free) tacos for dinner tonight!

I'm going to give you the recipe that I modified (mostly from Heart of Cooking)--I halved it when I made it and it came out awesome. (I also have a tortilla press which I KNOW makes a difference in how easy they are to make...) The only part I changed from the original recipe is bolded.

Quote:
Grain Free Tortillas

Servings: 4-6
Prep and cook time: 35-50 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups GF mix*
1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum (I used guar gum)
2 tsp real maple syrup or honey
1 tsp salt
2 tsp almond meal (I used ground sunflower seeds--due to almond intolerance)
1 cup warm water

*GF Mix: 1 part coconut flour, 1 part ground sunflower seeds (almond flour should work fine here), 1 part potato starch or sweet potato flour (etc.)

Steps:
1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, salt and almond meal. Add the water and sweetener and beat on medium for 1 minute.

2. Remove the dough from the mixer and shape into a ball; divide into 6 pieces and, working on plastic wrap dusted with arrowroot powder, roll each piece into a thin 12” round. As you roll each tortilla out, separate it from the plastic wrap gently and place it over your hand and forearm. Flip it into the pan to cook.

3. Cook each tortilla on a medium-hot greased griddle for about 1 minute per side. I rolled each tortilla as each one was cooking the griddle. But you can also roll them all out and then cook them one by one. Makes 6 large tortilla wraps.
I also baked some in the oven on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. The pan fried ones came out a little crispier (yummy) while the baked ones bent easier. They were more bendable than many gluten free rice tortillas I've eaten!

It does involve some of those pesky gf ingredients (guar gum) although it *might* work w/out. She also has a *grain free* tortilla recipe at the same link above--it relies heavily on almond flour and I just wanted to try these out instead. (I've not always had the best luck when making non-dessert baked goods w/ almond flour SUBS I grind myself.) If anyone tries it, do lmk how it goes for you!

Just wanted to share!!

And I'm all about the wine when I do drink...although vodka *was* my drink of choice back in college...

I traditional foods
#23 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM

Reviving the thread I am wondering how many are doing gf and low carb? How about IF'ing? I have started experimenting w/ that and so far it feels really good and I am really interested w/ the information behind it. I found that when I first went grainfree I felt the need to eat a LOT of food, but that has certainly slowed down, especially after I went completely gluten free. It is really freeing to not have the need to eat all the time and not eating so much food and still feeling as much or more energy. Currently I have been carb cycling w/ some small fasts in there. This is the natural pattern my body has fallen into, so instead of following the conventional wisdom that I *should* eat 5-6 x a day I am listening to my body that says sometimes I don't want to eat but a few times a day.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#24 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really interested in going lower carb and trying to IF, but I've not really gone under 150 g carbs a day... I also am a habitual snacker, and working on keeping myself to 3 (sometimes 2) separate meals a day to give my digestive system a break. It's so mental and not about hunger any more...

So, I'm really interested in it all but just not there yet! Would love to learn more from you all though about it though!!

I traditional foods
#25 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM

hi....can someone convince me why I should go grain free? will I lose weight, feel better, more energy?
#26 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM

What brand spiral slicer do you recommend??
#27 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 04:32 PM

I really need to get back on this bandwagon. After DS was born, I lost almost 30 pounds within the first 2 weeks. And then over the last month I've gained 10 of it back. I know it's my diet, and the lack of exercise doesn't help any. But I just got my cycles back, and I'd like to try to get them back on track again - and not go through the massively whacked out cycles I used to have.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#28 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

The spiral slicer I have and am happy w/ is the World Cuisine Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer--it's linked in the first post on this thread. (I've got no experience w/ others, but I really like it and think it's easy to use and clean!)

Most of the info I've found helpful that has inspired me to drop grains comes from paleo/primal sources. Here are a couple of links from Mark's Daily Apple talking a bit about it.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/

From what I've read, human beings aren't made to eat grains, they are not optimal sources of nutrition, and it is easier (and more beneficial) to get our nutrients from other foods (like meats, fats, veggies, nuts, fruits, etc etc etc...).

But more than anything, GOING grain free FELT so awesome that I'm convinced by that more than anything else. (Dropping gluten was the major thing that made a difference in my life, but totally grain free I just feel lighter, more energetic, less bloated, yadda yadda yadda--just awesome. If I eat grains, I *feel* it, and it doesn't feel good...)

There is a transition time as well, where you might feel like crap for a week or so when dropping them--it will pass! I felt like it was gluten 'withdrawl' for me... Hopefully others will post more helpful links!

I traditional foods
#29 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 PM

OK, I'm here, grain free/sort of primal/EFLF-following for 2010! I lost 35 lbs in 2009, and then started eating grains again. It just doesn't work for me. (I will also eat low sugar- will have a bit in coffee or in a few limited applications, but that's it).

2009 was such an emotional and physical journey for me. When I was grain free/low sugar/lots of fat, meat, eggs and veg I felt wonderful and lost weight. You would think that would have been enough to convince me to stay that way, right? I don't know what my issue was, thinking I could take a break and pick it back up or something I guess. But I am learning from my mistakes and moving forward.

I'm not sure that i will always been grain-free but I will be until I can reach the weight I need to be at...

I'm rereading Good Calories/Bad Calories which was so helpful to me last spring, and also EFLF now. And I'm glad I ran across Mark's Daily Apple, that site is awesome. I have a few things I'll quibble with him on (little stuff like I'm going to use Mary's Oil blend to make my dressings and he does all olive oil, stuff like that), but not too many after realizing that his *usual* diet is how I was eating when weight was falling off me. I keep looking for his book in the bookstore and can't find it though.

My kids and dh are going to keep eating as usual, but I just told dh no eating out as a family unless it's Jason's Deli (a chain that has lots of organics and is HFCS-free and has a good salad bar) or similar. I know from past experience I'll got through a "withdrawal" period (because I have definitely been eating grains/sugar in December) but then after I get through that will feel really good. And lose weight I hope!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#30 of 281 Old 12-31-2009, 06:58 PM

I need to do this again, and I'm transitioning towards that. Of course, I'm eating pizza right now . . . But that's only because DH brought it home and I didn't want to waste it! I'm actually really ready to go grain-free, so I just need to let DH know that it's very important to me right now, and then he'll be careful to be supportive. Wish he'd go grain-free with me, though! Sigh. Oh well!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page