Good fats for two-year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MY 24 mo old dd is weaning herself (due to me being preg). I would like to incorporate some more healthy fats into her diet. She is not a picky eater at all but she dos have a milk allergy and does not eat much meat (her decision- we are not vegs at all). Any ideas? Thanks.

PS I bought some plain, liquid cod liver oil for her and her 3 yo brother but they will NOT take it. Any ideas how to "trick" them into consuming it?
#2 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 AM

avocado (we mash it up and DD2 dips carrots or celery in it). Or we roll avocado in a slice of turkey deli meat (be careful about dairy in it though; we have safe brands).

Coconut milk (we put it in smoothies and bake with it), also make coconut milk yogurt.

Coconut oil (fry eggs in it, use it in baking, make honey-peanut butter-coconut oil balls).

What kind of meats have you tried? Have you tried bone broth with her? That's a good source of calcium and nutrients. My kids love mini meatball soup in bone broth. My kids loved salmon at an early age (canned or fillets -- both of my food intolerant kids were eating it before age 1).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm a vegetarian and try to be as vegan as possible on weekdays, and I eat a lot of nuts. One of my favorite preparations is homemade nut butters and spreads. My son loves sunflower spread: throw a cup or so of sunflower seeds (raw or toasted) into a food processor. Add a little water and olive oil, and salt to taste. You can add garlic as well. My son thinks it tastes like hummus. I can't get enough of it! Or you can process almonds with a little oil and maple syrup for a sweet almond butter.
#4 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We eat lots of pastured eggs for breakfast, and I make bacon (pastured) once or twice a week.

My dd drinks plenty of bone broth, and one of her favorites lately is lemony chicken soup, where I make chicken soup as normal and then turn the heat way down (you don't want it to be boiling) and stir in about two raw eggs beaten with the juice of a lemon. I'd say the ratio is about 2 eggs to six cups of bone broth.

She also drinks raw milk, but she's still nursing, so she probably only gets about 6 oz a day or so. I tend not to shake the milk when I give it to her so that hopefully, she's getting lots of cream.

She eats avocado, but typically will eat more if I make it into guacamole. I find that cheese constipates her, so we don't usually do that... She eats plenty of meat, but not much butter.

I give her CLO, and I find that the unflavored stuff mixed into applesauce is pretty much the best way to do it (I find that storebought doesn't hide it as much as homemade with cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg). You could also try ketchup-- those seem to be the best two delivery vessels for supplements as far as we've found. I've also pondered making chocolate pudding or something, figuring that I could make it with less sugar and raw cream to sort of negate the unhealthiness of it, but thankfully, the applesauce and ketchup are working for the moment.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#5 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 PM

We're dairy free, too. Eggs are on rotation.

We use:

coconut oil
coconut milk - makes divine kefir and yogurt
shredded or chipped dried coconut
fresh coconut
lard from pastured pigs
bacon grease (saved from our pastured pig)
palm shortening occasionally
olive oil - especially in dips or dressings
clo - dd gets Green Pasture's orange flavor in mango juice
sardines, salmon
homemade mayo (on rotation)
avocado (awesome pudding: 1 banana, 1 avo, 1 T raw cocoa powder, bit of honey, bit of vanilla, enough coconut milk to get it to blend in blender)
nuts/nut butter
chia seed (makes a good pudding w/coconut milk, too)
ghee (you can trial, we seem to be ok w/it)

Every veg dd gets has fat added, or in a dip or dressing. She LOVES hummus and since we are trying to eat GAPS friendly I make it with lima beans and I add a ton of olive oil. She loves homemade acv/evoo dressing for salads. I let her pick out what she wants for her salad bowl, usually she picks beets and cherry toms. I am addicted to a dip I make for apples w/coconut oil, sunflower seed butter, and raw honey.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#6 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Hempmilk. My son has been drinking it since 8 mo due to soy and milk allergy. He is now on combo of hemp and coconut milk. I would cook with coconut milk from can, not the drinking kind, and eat fish 2-3 times a week. You should get plenty of good fats from that without having to supplement.
#7 of 9 Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 AM

avocado with mashed banana. salmon..but DD started eating that at an early age. coconut milk smoothies with blueberries and coconut oil. homemade beans tossed in olive oil and kelp. apples dipped in raw almond or cashew butter. We also use a lot of ghee. DD will take the same CLO oil no problem. i mix a little pineapple juice with CLO and she gets so excited becuase it's the only time she will get juice. So I call it juice and she really get a lot of CLO.
#8 of 9 Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 AM

butter, eggs, coconut milk and coconut oil. avocados. Almond butter

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#9 of 9 Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas. Coconut things seem to be a top choice. I will try your ideas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page