Realistic ways to convert mainstream kids to Primal/Paleo kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've read several threads about feeding kids primal /paleo foods. I think it's fantastic that some kids will drink sauerkraut and seaweed smoothies for breakfast but, I think for the most of us, our kids would really struggle with that.

So, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in starting a thread for those of us with "mainstream" kids. You know, kids who eat healthy but not paleo. For example, my kids eat tons of veggies and fruits but, they also adore their carbs. We only do whole grain or sprouted breads and pasta but, they eat a lot of carbs - bagel for breakfast, pasta for lunch and then meat and veggies for dinner. They also love sugar. They get one treat a day and they are completely addicted to that one treat. It's generally dark chocolate but, especially with the holidays, lately they've had non stop breads, cakes, cookies etc..... It's time to get us back under control.

So, although they eat healthier than the majority of kids out there, my kids are in love with their carbs. I want to start weaning them off and going to a more paleo / primal diet but, I need help.

So, any interest in sharing realistic menu plans that are kid friendly?
#2 of 17 Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got lucky, we switched to this diet with a 2 year old and a newborn so no entrenched habits for them.

Not a plan but one thought I had was to see if you can get them addicted to beef jerky. We also make an effort to always have treats of sorts around the house including coconut milk ice cream as well as cookies and muffins made with almond or coconut flour. While almond and coconut flour aren't perfect from a primal/paleo perspective, having foods around that look and taste relatively "normal" may make it a lot easier to transition them.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 17 Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM

I think in every one of the more recent primal/paleo/grainfree threads I've posted multiple recipes for subs to traditional high carb/grain based foods we used to eat which have gone over well w/ my ds.

We just made tortillas today for tacos tonight, using coconut flour, ground pumpkin seeds, and sweet potato flour (not low carb, but all together it's lower carb and grain free.) The Grainfree 2010 thread has the recipe, along w/ other recipes and links to many past grainfree/paleo threads, which have tons of recipes too.

I do tons of stuff w/ ground seeds/nuts and coconut flour for my ds. Check out http://elanaspantry.com for some awesome recipes that your kids are bound to love! Cookies, cakes, breads, etc., all possible w/ less carbs, sugar, and no grains.

I'm adoring my spiral slicer (link is in the first post of the grainfree 2010 thread as well) for making zucchini pasta, along w/ potato pasta (my mom preferred the potato pasta, and she's a carbaholic , but zucchini is now my fave--a lot like spaghetti!) The slicer makes a HUGE difference in the quality and texture of the spaghetti, and my ds loves it.

For me, I find creating acceptable substitutions for foods we used to eat is what works best for me and my ds. I think there is a lower-carb, more paleo/grain free way to make all of the foods you mentioned. Read through the coconut and almond flour threads that are going around right now too--lots of awesome ideas there! I think a lot of it is trial and error, finding recipes that work well for your family, and doing a slow transition that the kids are ok w/. One step at a time has worked well for me in all of my diet changing endevours!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#4 of 17 Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Honestly, to start weaning them off, I'd start by changing their breakfast to something containing more protein. Egg muffins, egg custards, quiche, fritatta, omelettes, etc. They really need the protein to start the day right. Once they've adjusted to that change, remove the pasta from the lunches. Really, that's a lot of carbs (and grains!) - to have 2 meals a day entirely carb-based. Once you do that, I'd be willing to bet you'll see an energy shift, and quite possibly a behavioral shift (fewer mood swings).

I can't speak for things like seaweed smoothies, but removing the carbs is all about acclimatization. And with kids you can either discuss with them and go cold turkey if they're old enough to understand, or you can make the changes more slowly. It depends on their age and temperaments.

Oh, and don't forget that it takes tasting something several times before adjusting to it. Especially for more unusual foods (like saurekraut), try more than once - and let them see you eating it. I remember the first time I willingly ate saurekraut was by having a bite of my mom's hot dog w/kraut and mustard. Before then I wasn't interested. But because she was eating it, I did, and I liked it!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 17 Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Agree with adding protein to breakfast. Another easy change you can make is to minimize or phase out starch at dinner. I think getting rid of starches at dinner is the highest priority, at least for adults, because your body has a hard time metabolizing sugars at/after bedtime. Switch to small amounts of rice or potatoes or sweet potatoes. And then eliminate the starch altogether at dinnertime if that's one of your goals. If plates seem too empty, serve more veggies or a second veggie. My MIL always serves a hot veggie and a side salad with dinner, and that works well for us too.

Edited to add: LOL, I must have skimmed, because I didn't notice that dinners are already just veggie and meat. Well then, keep on doing that!

Good luck!
#6 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 AM

This is how we did it: (*disclaimer, I have never and will never drink or ask my children to drink sauerkraut and seaweed smoothies. Yuck! I have one pretty picky toddler and one extremely easygoing baby as far as food.)

Breakfast became coconut flour/almond flour waffles with butter, fruit compote and vanilla spiked unsweetened whipped cream, or "dinosaur clouds" (peice of chicken or ham topped with stiff whipped egg whites, and the yolk placed in the middle in a little well made in the whites, baked at 350 until yolk is done), coconut flour banana bread french toast... so we kept some of the faves just changed how we made them and definitely pushed the protein. 2 yr old doesn't love eggs, I have to be creative. I make his waffles pretty much an omlette with a tbsp or two of coconut flour and splash of cream.

Lunch, my kiddos love soup so I just replaced the noodles with more meat, and do egg drop soup often. They also love chicken fingers, so I bread chicken with almond meal and seasonings. They like to dip in gravy, so bone broth plus some fat and seasonings becomes a yummy condiment.

Snack platters are a big fave. Veggies, fruits, cheese, meat, nuts, and dips.

Roll ups. Ham/chicken/roast beef/turkey smeared with cream cheese, or melted cheese (ya I know dairy isn't paleo but we LOVE us some full fat dairy). Left overs are good too.

Dinner you already do well with.

Treats, bake your own, you control the sugar and other stuff going in. Dark chocolate is a great treat!

Was going grain free and primal a struggle? Sometimes yes. But after 2 months, my boys are happy and don't often complain or ask for foods that we don't keep in the house.

A little tough love (not to the point of sauerkraut and seaweed smoothies ) may be needed, but with lots of other options available (sorry sweetheart we don't have noodles, but we have a. b. or c. which would you like) the transition should go relatively smoothly.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#7 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've been loving spaghetti squash lately. I usually just roast it & serve it with raw butter & salt, but I've also used it in soups. It's pretty low carb.

Never heard of seaweed smoothies...but my kids do love sauerkraut (not plain juice, the actual cabbage..)

I think the easiest thing is just to focus on meats & veggies. Trying to think of what our meals have been looking like..

A couple of nights ago, we had grilled beef heart with cauliflower sauteed in butter & coconut oil. The next morning, we had the leftover heart with sauerkraut for breakfast.

That night we had "taco salad" which was ground beef with onions, garlic, cumin with bowls set out of fresh chopped cilantro, lettuce, avocado & lime wedges so everyone could add what they wanted.

Dinner last night was wild salmon, fresh broccoli sauteed with butter & coconut oil & sauerkraut.

Breakfast this morning was chorizo with leftover broccoli & fermented pickles.

They had some tea after that, and some crispy pecans dunked in butter.

They've been eating kiwi lately, but I think it's making nasty poops.

Mine don't pester constantly for foods once the carb/sugar addiction is gone.

The other day I made a huge batch of goat stew (it gelled amazingly!) & about 15 quarts of chicken soup with fresh ginger, garlic, collards, onions, carrots & spaghetti squash (& spices) - YUM!
Then I poured the soups into 32oz containers & froze them. Now I just need to pull a container or two from the freezer & warm in a pot.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
We've been loving spaghetti squash lately. I usually just roast it & serve it with raw butter & salt, but I've also used it in soups. It's pretty low carb.

We love spaghetti squash lasagna!!! (I like it better than traditional lasagna, which I never really cared for!)

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#9 of 17 Old 01-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Have you seen "meatza?" It's a pizza with a ground beef "crust." The cauliflower crust from the same site is pretty good. The 2nd day, it does taste like pretty normal cold pizza.

We made pancakes with nut butter, banana, and egg. The linked recipe makes about 8 small pancakes. They are surprisingly breadlike, but they do taste like bananas.
#10 of 17 Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
We love spaghetti squash lasagna!!! (I like it better than traditional lasagna, which I never really cared for!)

Yum! Would you share how you make it?
#11 of 17 Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
This is how we did it: (*disclaimer, I have never and will never drink or ask my children to drink sauerkraut and seaweed smoothies. Yuck! I have one pretty picky toddler and one extremely easygoing baby as far as food.)

Breakfast became coconut flour/almond flour waffles with butter, fruit compote and vanilla spiked unsweetened whipped cream, or "dinosaur clouds" (peice of chicken or ham topped with stiff whipped egg whites, and the yolk placed in the middle in a little well made in the whites, baked at 350 until yolk is done), coconut flour banana bread french toast... so we kept some of the faves just changed how we made them and definitely pushed the protein. 2 yr old doesn't love eggs, I have to be creative. I make his waffles pretty much an omlette with a tbsp or two of coconut flour and splash of cream.

Lunch, my kiddos love soup so I just replaced the noodles with more meat, and do egg drop soup often. They also love chicken fingers, so I bread chicken with almond meal and seasonings. They like to dip in gravy, so bone broth plus some fat and seasonings becomes a yummy condiment.

Snack platters are a big fave. Veggies, fruits, cheese, meat, nuts, and dips.

Roll ups. Ham/chicken/roast beef/turkey smeared with cream cheese, or melted cheese (ya I know dairy isn't paleo but we LOVE us some full fat dairy). Left overs are good too.

Dinner you already do well with.

Treats, bake your own, you control the sugar and other stuff going in. Dark chocolate is a great treat!

Was going grain free and primal a struggle? Sometimes yes. But after 2 months, my boys are happy and don't often complain or ask for foods that we don't keep in the house.

A little tough love (not to the point of sauerkraut and seaweed smoothies ) may be needed, but with lots of other options available (sorry sweetheart we don't have noodles, but we have a. b. or c. which would you like) the transition should go relatively smoothly.
Could you share your chicken tenders and waffles recipes?? Pretty please
#12 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Yum! Would you share how you make it?
Spaghetti squash lasagna:

Cook your squash, and then roll it in tea towels and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Allow it to cool and roll it in a new tea towel to squeeze out more moisture. (this keeps your lasagna from being soupy.)

Make your fave meat sauce. I usually add a ton of veg (whatever I have handy, so it's different every time.)

Get out your lasagna pan. Start with a thin layer of sauce. Then spread some of the squash "noodles" over the sauce. Thick enough to create a net for the next layer. Then a thick layer of meat sauce, grated cheese, another layer of squash, a layer of spinach, cream cheese, squash, meat sauce grated cheese etc. ending with cheese.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 20-25 min.

Allow to stand for 5 min or so before serving.

#13 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Could you share your chicken tenders and waffles recipes?? Pretty please
Chicken tenders:

I just mix a couple eggs with a squeeze of dijon mustard, dip the chicken in and then dip into a bowl with:

1/4 cup almond meal
2 tbsp coconut flour
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
salt
sometimes crushed pork rinds.

Bake at 400 for 10 min, flip and another 10 min.

I will dig out my waffle recipe tomorrow. I made a baked stuffed waffle thing last night that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy.

#14 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mama! So much!!! I hope you don't mind but, I added your recipes to the grain free recipe thread. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge so much!
#15 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Wow, this is a great thread!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#16 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Thank you Mama! So much!!! I hope you don't mind but, I added your recipes to the grain free recipe thread. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge so much!
You're so welcome!

#17 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the recipes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page