Fran's Fryers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I haven't been around much, busy living life and all...

Anyhoo, I have really been blessed with a lot of TF options locally in the past two years, yay! Some of it is really pricey, and somewhere, the dollar has to stretch, you know? I have been doing almost all our meat from a lovely local farmer (most i.e. hubs still gets some steak or other stuff on sale occasionally from the store. I haven't bought store meat in 18 months) local raw milk, cream, and eggs.

I found some really inexpensive "natural" chicken at the health food store, but don't really love what the website says about the way they are raised. But I really want to have chicken more often and can't buy them frequently from our farmer, due to the cost.

Will you all go look and tell me what you think? http://www.fransfryers.com/
Would it possibly be a middle option between conventional and the good stuff? Thanks!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#2 of 22 Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

and Rosie's is another option I can get at Sprouts near my home, for less.
http://www.petalumapoultry.com/faq.php#11
My mom was down on them, but they seem a lot better than Fran's. I just reread and saw that at Fran's the chickens aren't allowed outdoors. at Rosies they are outside during they day and foraging.

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#3 of 22 Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Hi, I live in Texas also. I have chosen not to buy Fran's Fryers in the past. The chickens diet seems to be of very poor quality. Their website says, "are fed natural feed consisting of corn, milo, soy and vegetable oil." They are not pastured chickens, they are raised in a chicken house most likely crammed with a lot of other chickens. At least that was my understanding from their website. I would only buy something like that if I absolutely had too. I currently get my chicken from Rehoboth Ranch. I always buy whole chickens because they cost less and you can get several meals out of them. Also, you can make bone broth with the chicken carcass. Finally, Rehoboth Ranch has a good discount if you buy in bulk. You could split the bulk with someone else who might want to buy good quality chicken.
#4 of 22 Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi texan! That's what I do currently, as well. But I buy from Dominion Farms. I get all my eggs, beef and pork from them as well.

Whereabouts are you? I feel like we have talked here before, I was Bella Babe here for years. :-)

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#5 of 22 Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM

I am in Houston and chose to not get Frans Fryers. We use Paidom for all of our meat needs. Have been very happy with them.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#6 of 22 Old 06-05-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm way late on this but I wouldn't buy from Fran's Fryers. They seem to be not much better than conventional chicken producers. I try to buy only pastured chickens so I get most of my chicken from the various Farmer's Markets in Houston. I've had Georgia's and another farmer I forgot the name. Both claim to have truly pastured chickens. Georgia's is a bit pricey but the other farmer has better prices. I will look at the name again and post it.

If I can find the time I really want to go visit these farmers to really see if their animals are truly pastured. At least Fran's put the info on their site, some farmers just lie I think.
#7 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM

The other farm is Old World Farms. Their chickens are $3.95/lb. vs $4.99/lb for Georgia's. From what they say their practices are very similar. Their chickens actually forage on grass, bugs and some grain as a supplement. Both farms claim to have extra large pins that they move around the land so the chicken can constantly have fresh grass to eat. I can't remember how long the chickens are allowed to roam outside of the chicken coups, if at all. But I do think the coups aren't enclosed and it's good that they're able to just forage vs. just eating a bunch of grains.
#8 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I am in Houston and chose to not get Frans Fryers. We use Paidom for all of our meat needs. Have been very happy with them.
I've gotten Paidom too, they're good!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#9 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I totally gave up on the Fran's Fryers idea. They kinda squick me out. I was just really hopeful when I saw the prices and the 5 minutes away from my house availability!

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#10 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Have you tried Paidom? That's where we get stuff and have been thrilled with them.

-Angela
#11 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM

I live in Pearland (Houston). I'm looking for pastured, truly pastured chicken, beef, lamb and pork at reasonable prices. I expect to pay more but I don't want to be gauged.
Georgia's seems good but they're definitely pricey. I've ordered from Alderspring but I'm waiting in the delivery.

Based on this discussion I'm looking online now at Paidom. They sound good and the prices are good eventhough I would have to pay shipping. I like how they raise the animals (expect for the pigs). Hmmmm....

Has anyone tried Jolie Vue Farms? They're pricey too however.
#12 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM

To Angela,

You live in Houston and order from Paidom. Do you find that paying for shipping still makes it worth getting your near from them?

Has anyone visited the farm to see if their claims are true?

Does anyone know where I can find milk sold in glass bottles in or near Houston? It seems impossible.
#13 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritMar04 View Post
To Angela,

You live in Houston and order from Paidom. Do you find that paying for shipping still makes it worth getting your near from them?

Has anyone visited the farm to see if their claims are true?

Does anyone know where I can find milk sold in glass bottles in or near Houston? It seems impossible.
They make a road trip through TX every two months. I pay a delivery cost not shipping (much less- I usually get a half box and delivery is usually $12-$14 for the box)

I've not visited the farm, but Alan himself makes the deliveries. I feel 100% comfortable that their claims are true. If you make it up there, I think they welcome visits.

If nothing else, I believe their claims due to their eggs the BEST eggs ever. No way they could get those with anything less than chickens roaming and eating bugs

I know there are a number of places to get raw milk around town- is that what you're looking for? Or just grocery store milk in glass?

hope that helps!

-Angela
#14 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritMar04 View Post
I live in Pearland (Houston). I'm looking for pastured, truly pastured chicken, beef, lamb and pork at reasonable prices. I expect to pay more but I don't want to be gauged.
Georgia's seems good but they're definitely pricey. I've ordered from Alderspring but I'm waiting in the delivery.

Based on this discussion I'm looking online now at Paidom. They sound good and the prices are good eventhough I would have to pay shipping. I like how they raise the animals (expect for the pigs). Hmmmm....

Has anyone tried Jolie Vue Farms? They're pricey too however.
Oh and yeah- all their stuff is 100% pastured except the pigs. They explain that- they just don't what pigs need to pasture exclusively. They do carry pork though and we've been very pleased with that as well.

hope that helps!

-Angela
#15 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks Angela, that's awesome I wouldn't have to pay shipping. I believe I'm sold on at least trying them out. I'll try out the half box and see. You really helped me out!

And I'm looking for regular (not raw) milk in glass bottles. I would actually love to use raw milk but I think both my husband and my mom would think I've gone mad. I didn't know that you can get raw milk in Houston though. Have you had some?
#16 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM

I haven't bought any myself (we don't go through enough to justify it) but I have had some at friends' houses who get it regularly. Both goat and cow's is available in the area I thought I'd seen some milk in glass at Whole Foods or Central Market- have you checked both of those?

-Angela
#17 of 22 Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Yeh both Central Market and Whole Foods carry the brand Promised Land and they use to have their milk in glass bottles. They were bought by another company who changed their bottles from glass to plastic.

So..... the search continues...
#18 of 22 Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 AM

I actually have visited their farm (I love road trips, I am on one right now!!) and it is amazing.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#19 of 22 Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 AM

almadianna, awesome! You visited the farm? Are their claims true? Were the animals actually grazing? Were the chickens really roaming freely? Um going to make that trip eventually. I have a 22 & 5 "monther" right now so not right now, but soon!

Angela, do you know when the next delivery date is for Houston? I'm still waiting on a response from Paidom. You referred me so you'll get $10 off of your next box!
#20 of 22 Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM

They were here last weekend... which means you've got a bit of a wait...

-Angela
#21 of 22 Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
They were here last weekend... which means you've got a bit of a wait...

-Angela
Darn. I will probably order some stuff online in the mean time. I'm splitting the order with a friend so it won't be so bad.

Do you know the names of the farms I can get the milk from you mentioned in a post earlier (where your friends get their milk)?

Thanks Angela for your help. I won't hold you hostage with anymore questions!
#22 of 22 Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 PM

same predicament

I am also 5 minutes away from there so experiencing the same predicament right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page