Overweight, cholesterol scare, new to TF... and discouraged - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 35 Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is what eat on a day I am low carb TFing:

B: 3 eggs scrambled with kale or spinach and garlic

S: celery sticks with almond butter

L: large salad with veggies and chilled protein like chicken with oil and vinegar, or tuna OR (when cold) a protein and veggie soup

D: pork chops with grilled onions (in butter), sauerkraut, broccoli and salad

Snack/Dessert: plain whole milk yogurt and ½ diced apple OR berries

These meals provide veggies (especially green) with almost each meal and snacks that combine veggies with fat and protein. Root veggies, beans and fruit are at a min. No grains. Fat comes from dairy, eggs, nuts and oils.

I strive to eat this way but am making only baby steps in getting there. I need to lower my triglycerides, watch my blood sugar and lose weight. I also have a mean sweet tooth. My family are notorious carbaholics and I am a former vegetarian (make that pastatarian).

I highly recommend you read Dr Michael Eades book Protein Power or Protein Power Lifeplan. They are low carb eating books, but I recommend reading them for the excellent information about how high carbs, not high fat lead to diabetes, heart disease and other health issues. The details on what “good”, “bad” and total cholesterol, plus triglycerides REALLY means is very educational.

I also enjoy Mark’s Daily Apple site and his Primal Blueprint information, although I have not read the book. Nourishing Traditions is an outstanding source as well, along with the Weston Price website.

Good luck!!!

Rhianna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM

I would go back in and insist on complete thyroid testing. Even the revised guidelines of 3.something are inappropriate. Most people should be under 2 to feel well, and those of us with hashimotos (autoimmune hypothyroidism) on dessicated thyroid usually feel best with it closer to zero. And most doctors and health pracittioners are out of touch with thyroid issues.

At the very least, FREE T3 and both types of antibodies should be tested for.

I highly recommend reading the Stop the Thyroid Madness website.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
#33 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congrats on starting a new way of living. I was "heavy" all my life. My highest weight was 296lbs. I am 5 10, so I was able to "carry it well", however, I was really overweight. I too tried "everything". I was always bloated and felt miserable. I studied IBS due to my then Western Medicine Dr. suggesting I go on medications to aid in my discomfort. Did some research and found a gluten free diet. After the first week, my symptoms had subsided. I kept up the new lifestyle of eating and lost 147lbs that first year. Half way through that year I found I was lactose intolerant as well. I have successfully kept "the weight off" for 7 years now. At my highest weight pregnant I was still 110lbs less than I was at my highest weight not pregnant. It was hard to eat healthier in the beginning. Felt like I couldn't eat anything that everyone else was. After awhile, I would just look at others that were eating horribly and felt bad for them and was happy that I wasn't gonna hurt the next day. Another big factor was I was able to conquer some really hurtful emotional pain that I had been harboring for many years. The two go hand in hand, diet and emotional pain. I wish you the best. Try not to think about all the numbers and go with how your body feels. The numbers, to me, are overwhelming!!!

'09   
#34 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM

I want to say that I think it is awesome that you are so committed to trying this new, healthier way of eating. And man, doesn't it taste yummy? I have some problems still eating all that fat...I did Weight Watchers and then had mild anorexia so the whole "fat is good for you" is still sometimes rough for me to believe, esp. when I have a bad day (like today). So thanks for posting this, because I needed some encouragment today, too.

Good luck!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#35 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Just wanted to post a link to a thread I posted a few months back the ladies here were all SUPER helpful and full of encouragment to help a newbie figure out the guilt assosciated with eating so much fat!http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1156732

I will sound like a broken record but especially if you are working out you need way more protein! Do you like cottage cheese? A recent snack for me is some carrots and cucumbers dipped in hummus with a side of cottage cheese (yeah some weird combos...im pregenant can you tell ) I always carry a baggie with a mix of unroasted/raw nuts/dried fruit/dark choc chips in my purse for myself or dd to snack on in case we are hungry when out and about. I add nuts to my salads lots of cheese and dressings as well...so yum! how about almond butter on an apple?
I eat a ton of fruits and veg, and I do not know ratios but I do know that I am probably higher carb then a lot of people just becuase of the amount of fruits/veg I eat so don't forget to factor that into the carb intake part.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page