Feb. 2010 Grain Free Tribe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made those cinnamon rolls for Christmas but they didn't turn out right. One batch was too dry and the other too wet, but if I am remembering right I had 2 kitchen helprs and I wasn't for sure if everything got measured right.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#62 of 69 Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I made those cinnamon rolls for Christmas but they didn't turn out right.
Thanks for the heads up crunchy_mama! I was reading in the comments, and she mentioned using the base for the braided bread (minus the garlic and rosemary) if you wanted to use an egg instead of flax or chia seeds--I will probably just do that if I make them, b/c I really liked how that bread came out. It seems I find millions of recipes all the time that I'm interested in making but just never make them so we'll see what happens. I'll lyk if I *do* make them, and how they come out!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#63 of 69 Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Check out this cookie recipe ladies--grain free and using dried fruit to sweeten--they look yummy!!! http://paleomama.wordpress.com/2009/...paleo-cookies/
I made these, subbing pumpkin seeds for the nuts, and a mashed banana for the dates, plus a pinch of stevia and a little extra cinnamon, and a 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. I thought they were a really good base (I've been working on trying to make a sugar/honey/natural sweetener free cookie for a while) and with a few more tweaks they just may be my go to recipe for cookies! I think they'd be great w/ chocolate chips as well. If I make a revision that I really like, I'll share!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#64 of 69 Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 AM

easy food today, lots of leftovers. Tomorrow i'm making wings. Hot wings for DH and teryiaki for kids. I made some yummy celery salad with homemade mayo, walnuts, cranberries and arugula. I am eating marinated herring tomorrow.
#65 of 69 Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Could someone please rec an alternative to flour for use as a thinkening agent? My family likes pot pie (minus the pie part - they like the inside gooey veggie stuff) and but I have not made it in a long while because I cant figure out what to use to replace the flour as the thickening agent. Thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
#66 of 69 Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e&tsmom View Post
Could someone please rec an alternative to flour for use as a thinkening agent? My family likes pot pie (minus the pie part - they like the inside gooey veggie stuff) and but I have not made it in a long while because I cant figure out what to use to replace the flour as the thickening agent. Thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
I use potato starch or tapioca starch. We eat tubers, so these are ok to me in small amounts.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#67 of 69 Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM

I use arrowroot, but NOT if there is milk in the product beause it makes slime. You cannot over cook it either, so i'ts perfect to mix a little cold liquid, then add to your hot (like cornstarch) and just until it thickens. It does not need af full boil and you don't have to cook out any "taste."

2 tsp of arrowroot is like 1 tblsp cornstartch, and 1 tsp is like 1 tblsp flour. It's really great for Asian food like stir fries and sauces
#68 of 69 Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 AM

Ugh, been having a tough time over here! Last Friday we all came down with a stomach virus that lasted the weekend and then some. DS and I managed ok but DH got hit pretty hard, he's still barely eating. Anyway we went three days without eating much at all, it just hurt too much. And when I'd try to think of things to eat, the things that were 'healthy' were SO far from appetizing! I would wind up nibbling on 1/3 of a sandwich (while DS horked the rest down, his appetite rebounded at warp speed, the lucky child). I'm feeing pretty good now but still can't stomach the thought of a salad. I can't seem to eat a great volume of food yet. And it seems like every night I want a snack and nothing sounds liveable but ice cream. *sigh* Tomorrow I must be back on the wagon. I'm 90% on now but I just gotta do it!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#69 of 69 Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Really thrilled to find this thread! After losing 60+ pounds on a low-carb, whole foods diet, I am now moving on into a completely grain-free diet. It's a challenge, for sure, even though I've been cooking gluten-free for awhile. Really interested to read some of the old threads, especially the those with recipes and links-- I need some inspiration.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page