Feb. 2010 Grain Free Tribe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start a new thread--the other one was getting long.

Here are some links to old grain free threads... I'll be back later!

Any interest in a grain free recipe only thread (This thread has links to lots of old grain free threads as well--very worth checking out for the recipes and more!)
Grain and Sugar Free Baking Challenge!
Grain Free in 2010!

Old threads I found that I can't wait to read through!
January '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Food diets thread
FEB '08 GRAIN-FREE Traditional Diets Thread
~ * ~ March grain-free traditional foods thread ~ * ~
April/May Grain-Free Thread
June GRAIN-FREE thread

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#2 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Thanks FairyRae!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 03:57 PM

My kids and I had a slumber party at mom and dad's, and my son ate a HUGE steak and eggs breakfast . I have started asking her to just not offer them toast and she's extremely accomodating to say the least, I'm so fortunate to have awesome parents!!

Tomorrow is sunday feast day at my house with my parents too. I'm making stuffed chicken breasts with arugula and fontina cheese, with some yummy pan sauce of sauted mushrooms, shallots, garlic, white wine, chicken broth and mascarpone (that I made myself!!) . Not sure of sides yet, probalby green beans, a big salad as usual and another veggie, I have a head of cauliflower to make. I really love making cauliflower gratin, because it makes it look like we are having more of a potato dish or something and everyone loves it
#4 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM

heya ladies! still here as well, looking forward to wonderful inspiration from you guys! I have been letting the kids eat some grains(generally in the form of gf oats for bfast a few times a week and corn tortilla chips as a snack sometimes). However, I am making them grainfree as well. I had found a cavity on my 5.5 y.o. tooth and I know that the grains were displacing more nutrient rich calories and blocking the assimilation of other nutrients. I am also cutting down on their fruit intake as well. Anyway, so I need to be more on top of things here, and well some days are great and some days I am just lazy. Still working on adding some butter, but with being sick I am thinking we should wait on a big trial, but am thinking I will do ghee in the interim as part of our nutritional intervention for the teeth.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Cauli mash gratin--how do you make it? It sounds yummy! (Does gratin mean cheese? I totally can't remember) Um, I totally want to come to your house for dinner tomorrow Lisa!

Rockin' recipe on the MDA site today for sunflower/sesame seed crackers--just a blend of ground seeds and water--sounds so easy I have to try it!
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sunfl...h-shrimp-pate/

I traditional foods
#6 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 08:52 PM

I turned 30 yesterday and we got a babysitter for only the 2nd time in DS's nearly 2 years. DH and I went out and had a great time! I got a burger at the fancy chophouse/whiskey bar we went to, because I couldn't justify spending nearly $20 on a good Primal entree...sigh. Curse ye Dave Ramsey! I had a couple of beers too and felt surprisingly fine. But I had a sandwich for lunch this afternoon thanks to poor meal planning on my part and a WTH attitude after last night's burger. I feel absolutely terrible now, kind of like a hangover, so it won't be any trouble to go back to grain free right this instant!

On the plus side, DH told me the other day he wants to join me eating primally (for the most part anyway). Which is awesome because that will simplify meals a bit more. Tonight it's flat iron steaks, kale sauteed with some bacon, and big salads!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#7 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 PM

I'm feeling good, have been eating almost totally grain free (a few cheats, like I might eat one bite of cake if people are having it, etc) and fairly low carb, vegetarian, whole-foods based diet now since Jan 1. I've lost 9lbs and feel good. My 5yo son is still eating some moderate amounts of grain (oatmeal for bfast, homemade muffins for lunch from time to time), DH *said* he'd do this diet with me but the very first day went out for pizza. So really its just me.

One thing that is helping me is to just to look in the fridge and cabinet, and think about what we have, and then jot down a loose meal schedule for the week so that I have a plan in place when mealtime rolls around. I do find it takes more time to plan and make food. Being veg I do eat some legumes and soy, and feel fine with that. I also eat a lot of nuts, seeds, eggs, cheese, and vegetables. Very, very limited fruits and no sweeteners.

The best part about this all is that I really am feeling a lot less hungry. I am even starting to go many hours w/out thinking about food. That is not normal for me! (and I am nursing a 9mo)

dissertating mom to three

#8 of 69 Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 PM

yum I have to try those crackers. I need some things to substitute sometimes, also, things I can pack for snacks/meals on the run. coconut-flour muffins and raw nut "truffles" do me right that way, but I get sick of them.

dissertating mom to three

#9 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM

We're doing good with going grain free! A few cheats here and there. This morning I made GF waffles and my family LOVED them! I was making waffles and pancakes using the blender batter method/recipe and DH hated them. This morning he proudly declared that THIS is the way waffles are supposed to taste. He didn't know they were grain free and I think I'll wait a while to tell him.

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#10 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM

I made nut and seed waffles this am as well. Trying to reduce our consumption of them but once a week I am ok with that. Had steaks and mashed cauli last night, no idea what we are doing tonight though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#11 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Any recipes to share you waffle making mamas? Sound yummy...

I traditional foods
#12 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Lauren, this is the recipe I used: http://www.recipezaar.com/Gluten-Free-Waffles-54529

They were so fluffy and yummy!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#13 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 06:11 PM

I just use Elana's recipe for pankcakes. Except I add an extra egg and liquid mix then add the nuts/seeds(whatever combo I want- today it was pecan/almond/pumpkin seeds) whole and grind them in the blender. Oh, and I don't use agave but maple syrup or raw honey- I think they are sweet enough not to need topping.

#14 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Cool--so you use whole nuts/seeds and just grind them in the blender? I'm gonna need to try it! Sounds easy too!

I traditional foods
#15 of 69 Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 PM

Yep, I use the whole nuts/seeds!

#16 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome crunchy_mama! I think I'll do some alteration of this recipe, and I'll totally post the changes I make and the outcome once I do it. (I'm thinking to use pumpkin seeds and possibly banana or applesauce in place of the agave, plus a little stevia to make up for the sweetness...)

It's tough b/c I haven't bought maple syrup in so long, and pancakes, for me, were all about syrup. (But I really don't want to buy it for this--I just feel like the sugar would overload my system now...) Whipped coconut cream is always a crapshoot for me so I don't really want to rely on that as a topping either--hmmm--maybe I'll heat some frozen berries to make some sort of a syrup for them--that would be tasty... Maybe as a dessert tomorrow night...Mmmmmmmm...

Sorry for the ramble--whatever I end up doing, whenever I get to it, I will lyk how it goes! Thanks again for the idea--I used to love making blender batter pancakes in my pre-grain free days--I just think making ANYTHING w/ a blender rocks, and feels easy and fun!

I traditional foods
#17 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 AM

Well sunday dinner was a big hit, a big feast, yummy, I ate too much of course.....and I'm annoying and whining about how long it took, how much mess I had to clean up. Oh, and I grabbed a pan out of the oven and have a nice blister to go with my dishwater dry hands

I feel some dark chocolate with hazelnuts calling my name
#18 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Awesome crunchy_mama! I think I'll do some alteration of this recipe, and I'll totally post the changes I make and the outcome once I do it. (I'm thinking to use pumpkin seeds and possibly banana or applesauce in place of the agave, plus a little stevia to make up for the sweetness...)

It's tough b/c I haven't bought maple syrup in so long, and pancakes, for me, were all about syrup. (But I really don't want to buy it for this--I just feel like the sugar would overload my system now...) Whipped coconut cream is always a crapshoot for me so I don't really want to rely on that as a topping either--hmmm--maybe I'll heat some frozen berries to make some sort of a syrup for them--that would be tasty... Maybe as a dessert tomorrow night...Mmmmmmmm...

Sorry for the ramble--whatever I end up doing, whenever I get to it, I will lyk how it goes! Thanks again for the idea--I used to love making blender batter pancakes in my pre-grain free days--I just think making ANYTHING w/ a blender rocks, and feels easy and fun!
Ya I seen that the other day. The waffle batter the way I do is waaaay thick anyway, which is why I add the extra egg and liquid, or it is not pourable. I have never been big on syrup myself, when I was a kid dad would often make them w/ pb and jelly and I always loved them like that. I think next time I will spread them w/ a mix of cocoa and coco/oil or maybe coco oil w/ a touch of vanilla.

suppere here was stew, very meaty w/ a lrg amount of green beans and a bit of tubers. made w/ some yummy and healthy bone broth.

#19 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Oh, and I have a nice excalibur dehydrator coming and am sooo excited, finally I can make crispy nuts and jerky and all kinds of fun stuff!

#20 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I have never been big on syrup myself, when I was a kid dad would often make them w/ pb and jelly and I always loved them like that. I think next time I will spread them w/ a mix of cocoa and coco/oil or maybe coco oil w/ a touch of vanilla.
Mmmm--lots of tasty ideas!

Sounds like you earned the dark chocolate and hazelnuts Lisa!

I traditional foods
#21 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Oh, and I have a nice excalibur dehydrator coming and am sooo excited, finally I can make crispy nuts and jerky and all kinds of fun stuff!
Oh PLEEEASE motivate me to use mine! I have a fancy oven, it has a dehydrate function with a magnetic plug ot keep the door slightly cracked and air flow. I need to use it more!! I can literally dehydrate an entire ovens worth of stuff. DH loves jerky, and I really want to make some. My mom used to make it and it's SUCH a good snack. I"ll bet my steak loving kids would like it.
#22 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Both of my kids LOVE jerky! Last time I made it I just used some sea salt, crushed pepper, chipolte, and liquid smoke. They were fighting for it! I am trying to keep them from eating nuts for snacks until I can soak them, they love nuts though~! I need to make some deviled eggs but I am out of mustard as well- dijon and reg!

#23 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Oh PLEEEASE motivate me to use mine! I have a fancy oven, it has a dehydrate function with a magnetic plug ot keep the door slightly cracked and air flow. I need to use it more!! I can literally dehydrate an entire ovens worth of stuff. DH loves jerky, and I really want to make some. My mom used to make it and it's SUCH a good snack. I"ll bet my steak loving kids would like it.
WOW! You have an oven with a dehydrate setting?!? I've never heard of such a thing!

What brand is that? We'll be in the market for a new oven in another year or two, and that's something to look out for!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#24 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
WOW! You have an oven with a dehydrate setting?!? I've never heard of such a thing!

What brand is that? We'll be in the market for a new oven in another year or two, and that's something to look out for!
Oh yeah it's AWESOME. It's a Jennair, double convect oven, gas cook top. I seriously love it. It also has 2 proof settings, one is "room temp" for proofing breads, and a rapid proof which is a little warmer for things like buttermilk or the last rise. It comes with a plug that keeps the light off door cracked to dehydrate.
#25 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Oh yeah it's AWESOME. It's a Jennair, double convect oven, gas cook top. I seriously love it. It also has 2 proof settings, one is "room temp" for proofing breads, and a rapid proof which is a little warmer for things like buttermilk or the last rise. It comes with a plug that keeps the light off door cracked to dehydrate.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#26 of 69 Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM

gf dinner party at lisamarie's house totally jealous here as well!

#27 of 69 Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM

My parents bought dh a huge smoker for christmas, so I'm excited to make smoker jerky, and smoked sausage and anything else I can possibly smoke!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#28 of 69 Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 PM

i think I will make some jerky soon. I don't know why I never make it! I need to get some meat though. What is the best to get? I remember my mom's jerky was so much easier to eat than that commercial nasty chewy stuff in bags

On the food front, I'm making pizzas. I LOVE cauliflower crust! This time I think I'm doing zucchini walnut crust because I have some pesto I made in the freezer and fresh mozzarella. If anyone is interested in the recipe here's the basic:

Preheat oven to 400

Grate 2 zucchinis, or about 2 cups packed. I just use a food processor
1 ounce of walnuts
1 ounce of pine nuts (both toasted of course!)
1 egg
I like fresh basil and/or a pinch dried oregano, whatever you have
salt and pepper
If you can do dairy, pecorino or parmesan (couple tblspoons) is fabulous.

Press some of the moisture out of the zucchini - this helps because you are not using regular flour to pick up the extra moisture. Or if I'm making a huge amount just sprinkle with salt and leave in a colander while doing the rest. I use a nut milk strainer or jelly strainer type bag and just give it a squeeze, then mix everything together. You could probably add another egg but lately i have to horde my farm eggs because w are kinda short! I like to grate the cheeses I need, then the zuchiini in the FP, then use the same bowl with the chopper blade to pulse the nuts, herbs and egg together, because often I make serveral crusts at a time. Press in an oiled 10 inch pie plate, or you can bake it like regular pizza on a pizza stone just dump the mixture on to a parchment round and shape it, it gets crisper this way. It doesn't bake good above 400, it burns kind of so I bake this type crust first and then if I'm making regular pizzas turn the heat up. It takes about 30 minutes or so, and spray the top with olive oil to help browning.

I like to top mine with pistou (like a pesto with tomato) , and sauted mushrooms.

And to go with I always make a salad with arugula, other leaves and crispy pancetta with garlic olive oil. To make the olive oil (I brush it on pizza, veggies, everything) just heat 1/2 cup olive oil with a tsp crushed red pepper flakes, some sliced garlic, and a couple stems of thyme, then strain and store in the fridge. I like to use that for the oil in the salad with fresh lemon juice.
#29 of 69 Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM

What's the texture of these crusts like lisamarie?!? Is it crispy? I keep imagining sogginess, which I wouldn't like.

#30 of 69 Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
What's the texture of these crusts like lisamarie?!? Is it crispy? I keep imagining sogginess, which I wouldn't like.
No it's not soggy. I bake it on parchment or you can also fry it in a skillet, which I do if I"m not making something else in the oven, but since I like to melt the cheeses in the oven I just bake it. The nuts keep it crispy and baking it on the parchemnt on top the pizza stone keeps it dry on the bottom.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page