Kombucha with organic tea - I have questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my friend got a SCOBY from Laurel Farms (recommended Kombucha supplier in NT). She passed a baby to me, along with a copy of the Laurel Farms instructions. They say not to use organic tea because it can cause mold. NT says to definitely use organic tea because non-organic has high levels of fluoride.

I'm about this. I know someone who used to brew kombucha and they said they used organic tea with no problems. Why would the Laurel Farms instructions say this?

I bought non-organic tea just to get me started (just got my third batch going), but I'm about out and am going shopping today. What should I buy?

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#2 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
AJP

I've been making kombucha with organic tea for about 7 or 8 years, and have never had any mold develop.

There is no secret ingredient.
#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Okay good - because I bought organic tea today! I can't figure out why they said that?!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Personally I can't fathom ever recommending someone use non-organic tea for anything. Why expose yourself to chemicals in the pesticides, etc. used to farm conventional tea? How would lack of those chemicals encourage the growth of mold? (and even if they do, how would that be worth it? I think I'd consider not drinking kombucha if that were the case)

The only time I've every had a batch develop mold was once when I forgot to add the sugar (woops!) and I always use organic tea.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM

I always use organic tea too!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page