Mothering Forum banner

Diet book for hubby?

861 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  leila1213 
#1 ·
I am a terrible gift-giver. I have no idea what to do for V-Day, as usual. DH asked for The Flat Belly Diet book, but after reading some reviews on Amazon, I just don't think that's the way to go. We read The Maker's Diet together a few years ago, but didn't go with it 100%. He was really inspired by Jordan Rubin's battle and recovery from Crohn's. DH thought at one point he might have it (seems it's actually bad hemorrhoids), so that made him pay attention. But his motivation has waned and he needs new inspiration. He really enjoys the Biggest Loser. Is there anything TF-based (or even just whole foods) that might work for a guy who doesn't read much, and isn't into the environmental reasons for eating sustainably? He really just wants to lose weight/belly fat. He does love Dr. Oz and Dr. Weil, if that helps. Recommendations?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I am a terrible gift-giver. I have no idea what to do for V-Day, as usual. DH asked for The Flat Belly Diet book, but after reading some reviews on Amazon, I just don't think that's the way to go. We read The Maker's Diet together a few years ago, but didn't go with it 100%. He was really inspired by Jordan Rubin's battle and recovery from Crohn's. DH thought at one point he might have it (seems it's actually bad hemorrhoids), so that made him pay attention. But his motivation has waned and he needs new inspiration. He really enjoys the Biggest Loser. Is there anything TF-based (or even just whole foods) that might work for a guy who doesn't read much, and isn't into the environmental reasons for eating sustainably? He really just wants to lose weight/belly fat. He does love Dr. Oz and Dr. Weil, if that helps. Recommendations?
Unless it's just too expensive to do so, I suggest you simply give him the book he requested along with another book of your choice, even though you read up on the Flat Belly Diet and have good reasons to think it isn't the way to go. After all, it's a gift. In my experience no one book or popular diet method is going to be 100% correct for any one person, they're all going to have pros and cons and exceptions to the rule, etc. Maybe you can give him the book and then go through it with him and share what you found that you object to?

Has he read You On a Diet? Dr. Oz is a co-author. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was very educational but friendly. The illustrations were kinda fun.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Has he read You On a Diet? Dr. Oz is a co-author. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was very educational but friendly. The illustrations were kinda fun.
I don't think he has read it. I think he would probably like it, but is it TF-friendly at all, or would it tell him to avoid animal fats and the like?

#9 ·
I know its past V-day already (what did you end up giving him??) but I just wanted to mention a couple books that I am having my fiancee read about nutrition: "The Primal Blueprint" is great, and definitly guy-friendly!!Also "Good Calories, Bad Calories" is extremely informative, and especially good if he is a scientific/research/show-me-the-evidance type of person. Another good one is "A Life Unburdened" (written by a guy who lost a lot of weight/got healthier eating a TF diet).
Hope this helps!

#10 ·
I think the Warrior diet is pretty awesome. It isn't really specifically NT but you can adapt it to be which is what I do. You don't really need to buy the book either because what you do can basically be described in a few lines....

During the day you underneat. Nothing that will spike your insulin. Only small amounts of raw fruits or vegetables. Like maybe an apple.. a lemon.. that kind of thing.

For dinner you eat as much as you possibly want. In fact it is better to eat more than you think because if you don't eat enough calories then this plan won't work since you will start to feel weak by not getting enough.

No snacks after dinner either.. just one big meal.

the only other thing worth mentioning is he does mention something about food combining. Basically one day he eats carb with his meal.. so for instance..... meat + brown rice and vegetables for dinner. The next day he does fat. So for instance Meat + nuts for dinner and low carb.

he says not to mix nut type foods with carbs because it prevents assimilation of some EFA's or something.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieren View Post
I know its past V-day already (what did you end up giving him??) but I just wanted to mention a couple books that I am having my fiancee read about nutrition: "The Primal Blueprint" is great, and definitly guy-friendly!!Also "Good Calories, Bad Calories" is extremely informative, and especially good if he is a scientific/research/show-me-the-evidance type of person. Another good one is "A Life Unburdened" (written by a guy who lost a lot of weight/got healthier eating a TF diet).
Hope this helps!

I ended up getting him the Flat Belly Diet and Michael Pollan's Food Rules, partly due to cost. He was very pleased that I got him what he asked for (and really anything at all, since I was a week past my due date and usually never get him anything under the best conditions!).
But just him getting interested and excited about reading food information is awesome, so I'm planning to get the Primal Blueprint book when he's ready for something new. I also thought about Good Calories, Bad Calories, but I have a feeling it would be more my taste than his.

Thanks everybody!

#12 ·
Quote:

I ended up getting him the Flat Belly Diet and Michael Pollan's Food Rules, partly due to cost. He was very pleased that I got him what he asked for (and really anything at all, since I was a week past my due date and usually never get him anything under the best conditions!).
But just him getting interested and excited about reading food information is awesome, so I'm planning to get the Primal Blueprint book when he's ready for something new. I also thought about Good Calories, Bad Calories, but I have a feeling it would be more my taste than his.

Thanks everybody!

#13 ·
Quote:

I don't think he has read it. I think he would probably like it, but is it TF-friendly at all, or would it tell him to avoid animal fats and the like?

I am reading Dr.Oz's 'You on a diet' book right now. It is NOT TF friendly. He pretty much downs beef, pork, any kind of sugar (including maple syrup) advocates chemical sugars (calls them the lesser poison compared to what sugar does to your blood sugar and how it is stored in the body). He also downs eating coconut oil, advocates skim milk.
While the science behind the book is pretty enlightening I wouldn't consider it TF friendly. He does go a more whole foods route though.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
I am reading Dr.Oz's 'You on a diet' book right now. It is NOT TF friendly. He pretty much downs beef, pork, any kind of sugar (including maple syrup) advocates chemical sugars (calls them the lesser poison compared to what sugar does to your blood sugar and how it is stored in the body). He also downs eating coconut oil, advocates skim milk.
While the science behind the book is pretty enlightening I wouldn't consider it TF friendly. He does go a more whole foods route though.
Thank you for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.