What to eat after a stomach virus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had a terrible stomach virus running through our house the past couple of days. I was sick all night last night and most of today, and my DD has had a relapse tonight. So I was thinking about what foods to start eating again (or giving the kids) when we're ready to eat. Seems like all the standard advice is for stuff like crackers and pedialyte (yuck!) Well, even my limited TF knowledge doesn't like these suggestions. I know I feel totally nutritionally depleted, so I would normally go for protein like eggs, raw milk, yogurt, etc. but I'm afraid that will make us feel sick again. I did give my boys yogurt after they started feeling better, and they did okay. Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I just especially feel like a need to give my body something good, since I'm pregnant, but I can't afford to get sick again. DH has to go to work tomorrow, so I'll need to be able to function for the kids!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 AM

wish i had some suggestions for you! I'm subbing for good ideas...

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#3 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would avoid dairy like the plague.
Miso soup is very calming to the stomach and will help to restore electrolytes.
We also drink recharge for electrolytes when sick (a no chemical version of pedialyte/gatorade)
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Do you have bone broth? You could add miso to it if I had it. I got some organic miso at the Asian market and some garbanzo bean raw miso from Whole Foods. I would do any fermented beverages/foods that you think will stay down - mild things. Maybe water kefir? Small bits of real pickled ginger.
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 PM

Bone broth, rice porridge, green tea, sourdough toast
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM

I third the bone broth and/or miso idea. When you're no longer feeling like you're going to be sick you could add small pieces of meat and veggies too to make a mild but more filling brothy soup.

A little yogurt is probably ok but I wouldn't overdo the dairy either.

No raw veggies or cold beverages. According to TCM they tax/depress your stomach qi, which has already been quite taxed enough with the virus! Warm herbal tea with honey would be perfect. Or even just room temperature water. If you are up to eating veggies already, definitely cooked at least lightly.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 PM

What about adding coconut oil to the bone broth. It is ant-viral and anti-bacterial.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page