Fermented CLO dosages? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been taking 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml), but I found on the WAPF site that the manufacturer of Blue Ice states:

The fermented cod liver oil contains 4,000 - 9,000 IU vitamin A per teaspoon and 3,000 - 4,000 IU vitamin D.

And WAPF says that ideal supplement levels of vitamin A is 10,000 IU for adults, for vitamin D: 1,000-2,000 IU.

So, should I take 1 tsp (about 5 ml) of the Blue Ice FCLO???

How much are other people taking?
#2 of 10 Old 02-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
I've been taking 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml), but I found on the WAPF site that the manufacturer of Blue Ice states:

The fermented cod liver oil contains 4,000 - 9,000 IU vitamin A per teaspoon and 3,000 - 4,000 IU vitamin D.

And WAPF says that ideal supplement levels of vitamin A is 10,000 IU for adults, for vitamin D: 1,000-2,000 IU.

So, should I take 1 tsp (about 5 ml) of the Blue Ice FCLO???

How much are other people taking?
I can't afford to take that much so I am not, unless I am sick. I do take a separate vitamin d supplement.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 10 Old 02-14-2010, 01:56 PM

I take 1 tsp fCLO and 5-10k of extra D3 I am a nursing mom.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 10 Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Wanted to add, I DO give dd the full serving, though! I'm already wrecked, might as well save her.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 10 Old 02-14-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Wanted to add, I DO give dd the full serving, though!
By full serving do you mean 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) of the FCLO?
#6 of 10 Old 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
By full serving do you mean 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) of the FCLO?
Yes, I meant the the full "WAPF serving" for kids. I think they do mention that the FCLO seems to work very well for some people and they may not need as much. But I am giving my dd this because while she took CLO for a year or so when she was younger, she refused for the last year so I am playing catch-up with her.

#7 of 10 Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else care to share how much FCLO they take?
#8 of 10 Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 AM

I take 1 tsp and the kids get 1/2 tsp each.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 10 Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
*J*

I just recently switched to the capsules, more expensive but I was at the point that I couldn't gag the liquid down without it seriously threatening to come back up...

The dosage on the bottle says to take 2 capsules, I was taking 3 or 4 since I'm pregnant. Then I happened to take another look at WAPF's dosage suggestions. Yikes! I'm supposed to be taking at least 10 capsules a day (and that's at the "some people may need less of the fermented clo" dosage.).

I was really surprised that the green pastures/ blue ice bottle dosage was so very different from WAPF's. They (the company and the organization) seem to be pretty closely aligned, I can't imagine that the blue ice folks aren't aware of WAPF's dosage. Any thoughts on this huge discrepancy?

So, when this bottle is gone (which will be VERY soon at this rate!) I'm going to TRY to go back to the liquid. I used to be able to take it pretty easily, but have had a terrible time since getting pregnant-- you know, exactly when I need it the most!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#10 of 10 Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM

I was taking 2 capsules of the Green Pasture's FCLO for ?6 months (cause that's the serving size on the bottle--grumble!) and when I got my very low Vitamin D blood test back and simultaneously ran into information suggesting I should take more, I am now taking 1 tsp. daily. I'm wondering if I should actually be taking more.

I'm a HUGE wimp for nasty tasting things and have a strong gag reflex, I wasn't doing well taking the FCLO (the orange flavor) straight, so I bought some size "00" capsules at the health food store and fill them up...takes me about 30 minutes to fill enough for 7-8 days. It takes 6 size "00" capsules to get in the full 1 tsp (I use the syringe that came with the bottle). Somewhere I read that I might want to consider taking a tablespoon of FCLO since I'm nursing (although very infrequently as she's 4.5) but the thought of making 18 capsules a day is giving me pause!

I'll probably continue with the 1 tsp/day for a few months and get my vitamin D level retested and see if it upped my level at all.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page