Cooking Oils, what type do you use. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ladies what type of cooking oils do you like to use? There is coconut oil, vegetable oil, soya oil, oilive oil. I personally like to use vegetable oil and coconut oil. What do you like to use?
Your free to state why you think a certain type of oil is more nutritious than another oil. State benefits and draw backs.

Worlds Best Mom
#2 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 11:56 PM

Since most "vegetable oil" is in fact soy, I don't go anywhere near that.

For cooking, mostly butter, CO or animal fats (lard, bacon grease, etc.). For cold applications like salad dressing - walnut or a local olive. And I keep sunflower seed in the house specifically for making mayo.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 AM
*J*

Cristeen, are you a fan of Alton Brown? He likes to talk about "applications."

Sorry to get off topic there. To answer the original question, I use butter, lard, bacon grease, chicken fat (schmaltz), duck fat, coconut oil, and good olive oil.

I also stay far away from vegetable oil, corn oil, and the like. By the time they're chemically extracted, bleached, deoderized, etc, they no longer count as food! I know some folks say they need these oils when recipes call for something neutral, but I've never found a recipe or dish that truly requires them. Lard is incredibly neutral-flavored, imo!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#4 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep we avoid vegetable oil like the plague. It's mostly soy.

I use coconut oil, butter, and lard. Occasionally olive oil too but it has to be good quality oil and that's a heck of a lot more of an investment than our other fats, so I use that sparingly.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#5 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 AM

I use butter, coconut oil, chicken fat, duck fat, beef fat, extra virgin olive oil, and sometimes other animal fats (turkey, I wouldn't object to lamb etc in the right use.)
all of the animal fats are incredibly rich in fat soluble vitamins, and are extremely nutrient dense and healthy. (and yummy). the coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil are also healthy.

I absolutely avoid vegetable oil, canola oil, soy oil, corn oil, and shortening. the veggie oil is usually soy or corn anyways. I avoid soy for myriad reasons, corn and soy for GMO reasons, and veggie, canola, soy, and corn because they are usually highly rancid, however they are then treated (in unhealthy chemical treatments) to remove the smell. ewwww.) shortening obviously is dangerous, being hydrogenated. I use butter or beef fat instead.

I don't use lard only for religious reasons. Otherwise I would happily use pastured lard.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 02:03 AM

I use (in about this order): extra virgin olive oil, butter, virgin coconut oil, lard, ghee, duck fat, and high oleic sunflower oil.
#7 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 AM

Olive oil
Coconut oil
Bacon grease

And occasionally...

Grapeseed oil
Sunflower oil
Chicken fat

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#8 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 AM

Coconut oil but usually I avoid using any type of oil while cooking. Once the dish is finished and served we add a generous amount of cold-pressed organic extra virgin olive oil. I believe good quality olive oil is too precious to be wasted in cooking; all of its good stuff are gone when heated. And I do not believe that any other type of olive oil (e.g. extra virgin but not cold-pressed) has much of a nutritional value to start with.
#9 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 PM

For cooking and baking i use coconut oil or butter. For salad dressings and other "applications" that don't require high heat I use extra virgin olive oil, sometimes walnut oil or toasted sesame oil. I do use a little refined sesame oil for making mayonnaise.

I too avoid vegetable oil as much as possible as it's chemically processed, usually rancid and often GMO!

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#10 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM

For cooking I use butter and bacon grease. For stirfries I add a drizzle of sesame oil for flavor.

For salad dressings, extra virgin olive oil, and occasionally sunflower oil. Sometimes bacon grease! (Warm bacon dressing anyone?)

For mayo, bacon grease all the way.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#11 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh I love bacon dressing. I have fond memories of smelling it all the way upstairs when I was a child. I loved spinach salad with warm bacon dressing every since I can remember!

I use good olive oil for drizzling, tzatziki sauce and other dips. Coconut oil for saute, toasted sesame a lot, especially broccoli and stir fries. I also really love walnut oil for salad.
#12 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM

Since you posted on the Traditional foods board, I don't think you're going to get anyone to say they think "vegetable oil" or soy oil is good for you. If you are not familiar with the types of oils that are promoted in traditional foods, you might start here, at a page discussing fats from the Wston Price site.
http://www.westonaprice.org/Know-Your-Fats/

We cook in coconut oil or butter, sometimes with a dash of olive oil.

CPST
#13 of 20 Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
For mayo, bacon grease all the way.
That sounds good!!

My new favorite is lard. I've cut down on our grocery bill by using less butter, because lard, if I render it myself, is so affordable. And full of vitamin D.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#14 of 20 Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Keep it going ladies continue to share your information.

Worlds Best Mom
#15 of 20 Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Something worth mentioning is the dangers of high levels of Omega 6 in most cooking oils. Coconut Oil happens to be the best in this regard, it's the one I stick with most of the time. Just another reason to use it!
#16 of 20 Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 AM

coconut oil and butter for cooking,
olive oil, nigella sativa oil, flaxseed oil, sesame oil for salads.
#17 of 20 Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM

I cook on stovetop with: expeller pressed organic coconut oil; ghee; bacon fat (from well-nourished pigs); butter (for dd); good organic olive oil sparingly; tallow occasionally (it's just a supply issue or I'd use it more)

I bake or roast with all the above plus occasionally the extra virgin organic coconut oil (the one that tastes like coconut) but I feel heat may destroy some of the nutritive benefits of this one so I usually use it raw.

For non-cooking (raw) uses (or garnish) I'll use a good organic dark sesame oil or the olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil.

Based on my rate of usage, I use the most expeller pressed organic coconut oil followed by ghee/bacon grease/butter/olive oil.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#18 of 20 Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM

On the stovetop I mostly use animal fats-- butter, lard, bacon drippings, or chicken fat. I love coconut oil but we can't really afford to use it much. I don't use palm oil because I haven't finished researching the issues surrounding it.

I haven't ventured into ghee yet.

I don't really use vegetable-based oils much. I do have canola in my house-- I use it when a few vegetarian friends come to dinner. I also have some refined olive oil, for the same reason. I don't trust vegetable oils, because for the most part they are not foods that humans have been eating for very long, and the rise in their use coincided with the dramatic increase in a bunch of chronic "diseases of civilization," and so I've sharply limited our polyunsaturated fat consumption in the last few years.

I use cold-pressed olive oil on salads, or to toss cooked veggies, or for other similar purposes. I don't really cook with it much-- it's not an oil that is stable at high temperatures. If I do cook with it, it's in something low-heat like a sauce.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#19 of 20 Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 PM

Coconut oil
butter
ghee sometimes
olive oil
lard
Palm shortening for baking

I do not buy any labeled vegetable oils. None of them are good.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#20 of 20 Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 PM

animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, occasionally ghee...

palm shortening for baking b/c if dairy allergy.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page