Ghee better than High Vitamin Butter Oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been researching high-vitamin butter oil, and Green Pastures is pricey. As far as I can tell, ghee is the same as butter oil, right? I found a website (http://www.pureindianfoods.com/order.shtml) that sells ghee for a much more reasonable price than GP's butter oil. Is this essentially the same?

Thanks in advance for the advice
#2 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Nope, ghee is cooked, butter oil is not. Cooking kills lots of the stuff, although not everything.

Also, you don't know if the ghee is from grass-fed animals. If it's not, it wouldn't have much of the good stuff to begin with.

ETA: I clicked on the link and saw that the ghee you found is grass-fed! That's great -- that would mean that some good stuff would survive the cooking. But not all. Not sure what you lose in the cooking.

OK, edited to add again, K2 (one of the most important elements of butter oil) is supposed to survive the pasteurization process, so maybe it survives the ghee cooking process? I would think they have to cook it at low heat in order to not burn it. Anyway, it's worth looking into.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#3 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

They claim to use low heat on their FAQ page.

I guess for the price, it's worth a shot. I noticed an amazing difference in my teeth when I used the CLO/BO capsules from Green Pasture's. So if I have to pay that much, I will, but only if I have to
#4 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Butter oil isn't ghee, butter oil is much more concentrated--butter oil really is more like a nutritional supplement--it's not tasty like butter or ghee, at least that's my understanding. Ghee is also cooked and butter oil isn't, if that's a concern to you.
#5 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM

hmm, well green pastures bo is from pasturized milk, otherwise it would have to have a huge disclaimer. so essentially it is cooked.
#6 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalFamiLEA View Post
They claim to use low heat on their FAQ page.

I guess for the price, it's worth a shot. I noticed an amazing difference in my teeth when I used the CLO/BO capsules from Green Pasture's. So if I have to pay that much, I will, but only if I have to
I just cross-posted with you in editing my above post. It looks like K2 survives the pasteurization process, and it's one of the most important elements of butter oil. So maybe it is worth a try ...

Let us know if you still see the big difference when using the ghee with clo! That would be great.

That company, by the way, looks wonderful.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#7 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalFamiLEA View Post
I have been researching high-vitamin butter oil, and Green Pastures is pricey. As far as I can tell, ghee is the same as butter oil, right? I found a website (http://www.pureindianfoods.com/order.shtml) that sells ghee for a much more reasonable price than GP's butter oil. Is this essentially the same?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Their Ghee is Wonderful!! I've been using it for awhile. It's a beautiful bright yellow and taste great!!!
#8 of 30 Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
hmm, well green pastures bo is from pasturized milk, otherwise it would have to have a huge disclaimer. so essentially it is cooked.
Pasteurized milk? For that price, you would think they would use raw

That seals it, I am definitely trying the ghee
#9 of 30 Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Butter oil is great and for the nutritional benefits you need about 1/2 teaspoon per day. Ghee isn't anything like butter oil. It is not concentrated. You will need over 4 teaspoons to get the K2 in butter oil dosage and if the ghee isn't from grass fed cows, you may not even come close to getting all the K2.

You could just use kerrygold butter in stead of ghee and it would be fine for getting K2.

We can't afford butter oil, and we are allergic to butter (and other dairy) so we use ghee made from kerrygold butter. Like I said above, I use a ton of it to get all the good stuff that butter oil has. If we weren't allergic to butter, we would use that instead of ghee.
#10 of 30 Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

From what I can find, ghee *is* butter oil. The source I found does make the butter from cows fed rapidly-growing grass. I could buy Kerry Gold butter and make the butter oil/ghee myself, but I don't think I could make it for less than the ghee I found. I will be looking into making it myself, though.

I do plan on supplementing with the ghee, as well as using it to replace butter, so we will be getting several teaspoons per day.

#11 of 30 Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know what's butter oil but I do know ghee very well. Traditionally, it's made at home using farm cow's milk. This link does a good job of describing how it's made. Hope this helps

http://www.ayurveda-school.com/onlin...hee_recipe.htm

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#12 of 30 Old 02-19-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

That looks just like instructions for butter oil I've found elsewhere. Reading the article, they say you can get a quart of ghee/butter oil from 2 lbs of butter. So it's likely cheaper to make your own vs. buying ghee, even buying the good butter. And *way* less expensive than $60 for 8 oz that Green Pasture's charges
#13 of 30 Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Butter oil is great and for the nutritional benefits you need about 1/2 teaspoon per day. Ghee isn't anything like butter oil. It is not concentrated. You will need over 4 teaspoons to get the K2 in butter oil dosage and if the ghee isn't from grass fed cows, you may not even come close to getting all the K2.
Ditto.

Ghee is not the "High Vitamin Butter Oil" that Green Pastures makes by centrifuging butter to separate the butter oil from the butter wax and thus concentrate the K2. It takes 8 lbs of cream to make one jar of Green Pastures High Vitamin Butter Oil.

Quote:
United States Patent Application
Filed: June 18, 2003

http://tinyurl.com/294pul

original link to the US Patent Office
<http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnet ahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%222004 0258828%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040258828&RS=DN/20040258828>

"A method for producing high vitamin butter oil
includes the steps of providing a quantity of
cow's milk and separating the cream in the cow's
milk from the skim in the cow's milk. The cream
is then churned into butter and the butter is
removed from the buttermilk remaining in the
cream. The butter is then placed in a cooking
container and cooked at a temperature below 150°
F. until a majority of the butter separates into
clarified butter containing high vitamin butter
oil and butter wax adjacent the top of the
cooking container and butter solids adjacent the
base of the cooking container. The clarified
butter is removed from the cooking container and
allowed to stand, and then the high vitamin
butter oil is separated from the butter wax by a
centrifuge or the like. The high vitamin butter
oil is then ready for use as a dietary
supplement."
We use Purity Farms grass fed ghee purchased at Whole Foods, it's much cheaper than the Pure Indian Foods.
#14 of 30 Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

That was very informative, thanks!

It seems clear now that Pure Indian Food's (PIF) ghee is butter oil + butter wax (first time I've heard of butter wax!) and Green Pasture's (GP) butter oil has the butter wax removed.

The question is, how much butter wax is in ghee? I have not received my ghee yet (only placed the order today) so I can't try to guesstimate by looking. Let's just say ghee is 50% butter oil and 50% butter wax. If that was so, I'd have to take twice as much ghee as butter oil get the same benefits. PIF's ghee is less than $.08/ounce (28.8 oz bottle) and GP's butter oil is $3.75/ounce. Taking twice as much ghee still only costs me $.16 an ounce.

I have not read about GP's quality, but I have read on PIF's website about their butter, cows, farm, and am very happy with what I have read. Their cows are fed rapidly-growing grass, the milk is non-homogenized, ghee made from said cows summer to late fall only, on the waxing moon (if that matters to anyone lol), butter melted on low heat in stainless steel pots, ghee placed in glass bottles. I am not sure how Green Pastures' quality can be any better.
#15 of 30 Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Regarding how to make ghee--can that be right--2 lbs of butter makes 1 quart of ghee? 2 lbs of butter IS 1 quart of butter, right? I'd love to make it if I don't need to buy TOO much butter to make it work (in case I burn something, spill it all, etc. )

I just got my first container of ghee from PIF yesterday and WOW--what a flavor!! It tastes so rich and almost caramel-like to me...I put the tiniest bit on my yam last night and when I had leftovers today, it still tasted wonderfully of the ghee...mmm! May have to go pop some popcorn in it now!

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#16 of 30 Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM

#17 of 30 Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
Regarding how to make ghee--can that be right--2 lbs of butter makes 1 quart of ghee? 2 lbs of butter IS 1 quart of butter, right? I'd love to make it if I don't need to buy TOO much butter to make it work (in case I burn something, spill it all, etc. )

I just got my first container of ghee from PIF yesterday and WOW--what a flavor!! It tastes so rich and almost caramel-like to me...I put the tiniest bit on my yam last night and when I had leftovers today, it still tasted wonderfully of the ghee...mmm! May have to go pop some popcorn in it now!

no, thats not right ime. you will get maybe 1/4 less ghee from the total butter you began with.
#18 of 30 Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM

I have been reading through all the posts and I had the same question about the Pure India Foods ghee vs. butter oil. A quick e-mail to both companies put an end the question. Both companies were in agreement that they are not the same. Although the PIF ghee is of high quality and still an important addition to our diets it is not as concentrated as butter oil. Ghee is a food, butter oil is a supplement. Hope that helps clarify things.
#19 of 30 Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Green pastures high vitamin butter oil IS RAW it says so right on the bottle .... http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/ButterOil/index.cfm click on the picture of the label to zoom in-- it says RAW in the top right hand corner.... 

#20 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm442005 View Post

Green pastures high vitamin butter oil IS RAW it says so right on the bottle .... http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/ButterOil/index.cfm click on the picture of the label to zoom in-- it says RAW in the top right hand corner.... 

Yes! And you would have to eat a great deal of ghee to get the same benefit of the tiny amount of butter oil.
One jar will last one person 6 months, so the price is very small!

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#21 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Oh, dear lord... and to think I used to waste my money on butter oil.  From what I'm reading above, what a scam. 

The process in the patent application above is exactly what I'd do in my home kitchen to make classic clarified butter - skim cream from milk, churn it, press out the buttermilk, cook it at a low temperature to clarify (that is, separate the milk solids from the butterfat) without browning the milk solids, then filtering out the milk solids.  Only difference is, they use a fancy schmancy centrifuge to make sure all the butter solids are gone - whoopty. 

And if they're proclaiming to cook it at "below 150F" to accomplish this, then... it isn't raw.  So they're lying somewhere - either in the patent app or on their labels.

I never even thought to think about it before, but now that y'all have brought it to my attention, I won't be wasting good money on butter oil anymore.

For that matter, you only lose a small volume of the butter to the filtered milk solids to make ghee.  If you believe that there's an advantage in your butter being raw, then you're best off with a schmear of good raw butter on your veggies.

choli likes this.
#22 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post

Oh, dear lord... and to think I used to waste my money on butter oil.  From what I'm reading above, what a scam. 

The process in the patent application above is exactly what I'd do in my home kitchen to make classic clarified butter - skim cream from milk, churn it, press out the buttermilk, cook it at a low temperature to clarify (that is, separate the milk solids from the butterfat) without browning the milk solids, then filtering out the milk solids.  Only difference is, they use a fancy schmancy centrifuge to make sure all the butter solids are gone - whoopty. 

And if they're proclaiming to cook it at "below 150F" to accomplish this, then... it isn't raw.  So they're lying somewhere - either in the patent app or on their labels.

I never even thought to think about it before, but now that y'all have brought it to my attention, I won't be wasting good money on butter oil anymore.

For that matter, you only lose a small volume of the butter to the filtered milk solids to make ghee.  If you believe that there's an advantage in your butter being raw, then you're best off with a schmear of good raw butter on your veggies.

For specific medicinal purposes, such as targeting a cavity, then the butter oil is not at all a scam.
Like I mentioned earlier, you have to eat a huge amount of ghee to get the same benefit.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#23 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

For specific medicinal purposes, such as targeting a cavity, then the butter oil is not at all a scam.
Like I mentioned earlier, you have to eat a huge amount of ghee to get the same benefit.

And I'm saying I'm not convinced that is true.  What they describe as their process doesn't do a gosh darned thing to concentrate anything in any special way.  In all honesty, I'm not sure how they *could* accomplish that, without resorting to serious chemistry.  You can't concentrate oil, it doesn't evaporate like water.  All you can do is floctuate and filter out the impurities, which is exactly what you do during the ghee/clarified butter process.  So to net concentrated vitamins in an oil, they would have to be chemically isolated from the oil, stabilized, then re-introduced into a smaller volume of oil.  It doesn't sound like Greener Pastures is claiming to do anything like that, nor would those of us interested in this kind of eating be interested in their product if they did.  It would be high-tech food.

Unless they're using special, patented, magic cows that produce cream with eight times as much good stuff in their cream as any other pastured Jersey, there is nothing in that patent process (or in my understanding of basic chemistry and food science) that can support the claim that it is anything other than good ol' fashioned French chef style clarified butter, albeit maybe from good cows on ideal pasture.  Though if they're being mendacious about all that other stuff... I wonder if they're telling the truth about that.

#24 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Is Ghee Better than Butter Oil? Depends on what is your need.

Just want to add to the above comment that Ghee is made by evaporating water and separating solids. Basically you are boiling the water off. At this temperature most of the short chain fatty acids are evaporated. they are about 4-6% of the oil in butter. These fatty acids are very essential for the health (example is Butyric acid). Some of the fat soluble vitamins are also lost at this temperature. One of the benefits of buying Grass fed butter is that it is rich in vitamins and part of thoses vitamins are lost during making Ghee.

Butter oil is made by softening the butter and then extracting the oil out of it. Therefore loss is minimum. Yes Ghee is cheaper than Butter Oil. You get what you pay for.

If you are looking for general consumption - Buy Ghee.

If you are looking for health food - Buy Butter Oil.

#25 of 30 Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Ghee is not the same as butter oil.

Ghee is made by cooking (100 C)  butter for hours to separate oil and solids.

During this process lower chain fatty acids and some of the vitamins are destroyed.

Butter oil is made by extracting oil using various techniques to protect the nutrients.

Recovery of oil is lower when you make butter oil than ghee. That is why Butter oil is more expensive than Ghee.

You get what you pay for ......

#26 of 30 Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM

I found another web site that sells High Vitamin Butter Oil

http://nutraprointl.com

#27 of 30 Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM

They do claim that they only collect the butter oil from cows at a certain time of the year when they are grazing on the rapidly growing spring grass which is what W.P said was the only way to get the "x factor" . 

#28 of 30 Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM

I just want to start by saying I love WAP.   I don't love marketing ploys that may deter people from improving their health simply because the price tag is to high... and I don't think the Foundation intended that to happen.

If you are able to get local, organic, pastured butter (or cream to make your own!) you can have the same benefits of the costly butter oil.  For some people this isn't available, and so the commercial butter oil may be a great option.  We make our own-- it's just ghee/clarified butter reduced at a low temp.  If you are concerned with nutrient loss, here are some resources that will hopefully clarify things:

Butter is full of wonderful nutrients that aren't destroyed by heat (keep in mind, the x-factor is vit K)-- here's a link to the nutrients:  http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/133/2  and here is a link that shows how vitamins are affected by heat:  http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2e.shtml

Omega 3 can be destroyed under high heat-- I believe that's temps above 300F, so that's why you want to keep your heat low when making your ghee. 

It also has Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)-- here's a great link on it: http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_2/111S.full  If you read through this paper you'll see that it also isn't destroyed by heat-- "CLA is stable and not destroyed by cooking or storage".

You can't concentrate fats/vitamins/minerals past what they already exist at :)  If you have x amount in your butter, that's what you'll have in your butter oil.  (centrifuge or no)  When you reduce butter, you're reducing the water and separating the solids, therefore the yields will be close, if not the same, by either method.  So, no, the commercial butter oil isn't any more of a supplement (vs food) than what you can make in your kitchen. 

Although the centrifuge is pretty cool, it doesn't create a butter oil that's so different from reducing and concentrating good quality butter into ghee.  You may have to eat a bit more, depending on the nutrient denseness of your butter, but I think you'll find after tasting your first homemade batch...you're really not going to mind that. 

Mama to my crazy little circus boy ('09) and feisty little sunshine girl ('12). 

#29 of 30 Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM

And the thing is, if you're going to be cooking with fat anyway, the "but! you have to eat so much MORE" argument is just about irrelevant.   Are you not eating any other fat than the spoonful you take in the morning?    You're likely going to be eating, over the course of the day, 4 times as many grams of fat as are in the spoonful of butter oil.   Why not just make it a part of your diet?   It's not something magic that only "works" if you consume it like you would medicine.

What makes more sense -- buying a very expensive product to use as a medicinal supplement, or buying a much less expensive product that you use daily, as a matter of course, as a food??   If you're spending all your money on an expensive supplement, what are you frying in?  What are you spreading on your bread?  What are you baking with?   

The traditional people that you'e trying to emulate when you do WAP or TF were all, for the most part, just eating food.    

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#30 of 30 Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Grrrrrrrrrr. I really dislike when misinformed individuals post what they believe are facts. Green Pastures High Vitamin Butter Oil is made from RAW MILK. Green Pastures is part of the Weston A. Price foundation, and therefore would NEVER use pasteurized milk to create there products. They do not need to place a warning label, because nutritional supplements are not regulated by the FDA. Do not claim something to be true unless you know for a fact that it is. 

The price between the two is so drastically different because Ghee and High Vitamin Butter Oil are COMPLETELY different. With ghee, you will not get any of the beneficial live enzymes or nutrients found in butter oil because they have been cooked off, entirely. Ghee will not improve your teeth, skin, brain function, general health, etc. because it simply does not contain the same nutrients.

High Vitamin Butter Oil is a nutritional supplement, Ghee is PURELY used for cooking. No one in India (where Ghee originated) consumed clarified butter as a nutritional supplement because it does not contain a high concentration of nutrients.

If you want to see any improvement in your health, you need to choose the butter oil. The ghee will do nothing for you (other than maybe make some tasty dinners.)

Alternatively, some people use ghee in replace of REGULAR butter (in cooking) because the casien (along with everything else) has been completely cooked off. Some people have issues digesting casien (dairy protein) and therefore choose to avoid it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page