What's with the emphasis on meats/fat in Traditional Foods? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2010, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It can be really hard, for sure. I was for a while looking into keeping quails and rabbits because they are decently suited to city environments in enclosures in backyards, but the cities that have chicken bylaws also cover every type of fowl, so quails were not the way around that. Rabbits are sometimes not covered in Canadian city bylaws though, so I considered keeping them for wool and meat (two types, obviously).

If you had a big house and basement or sunroom and lots of light and space to make it actually healthy for the animals, I suppose you could keep these smaller animals indoors. You'd still be subject to bylaws, though so if you didn't care about that, you couldn't tell anyone about your 'operation.'

Most cities have so many bylaws that it is impossible to do what is actually needed to be healthy. I always found it so despicable that there could be two KFCs within one city block pumping out the most horrid stench, perpetuating a host of systematic destructions (CAFOs, oil industry, noise and traffic, etc...) and serving non-food that was making every patron sick, but keeping six chickens in my backyard was considered a nuisance.

Was it the noise? The smell? The sanitation issues? I am very sure these issues are not taken that seriously when two KFCs can be operationg amongst myriad other nasty-food chains along a single city block. My friends shared an alley with a very busy full serve fuel station with mechanics, and chickens were not allowed in their backyard. Seriously, a few chickens is what we're concerned about???

If you have to live in a city, then I'd definitely push those bylaws and try to have them changed and in the meanwhile definitely support locally produced real foods.

I didn't find that yielded satisfactory results for us, so it took us 5 yrs from the time we decided that we had to leave the city and 4 yrs of moving incrementally out and away from it to have actually ended up where we want to live. We have been out of the city for nearly four years now, but it's just since this past December that we are beginning our own journey to self-sufficiency in a practical way. Until now we have relied heavily on local farms and still will for the next few years as we age our compost and prepare the land for growing and housing ourselves and livestock.

So I absolutely stand with those who express gratitude for farmers/growers who provide us with real food. I think this journey would be seriously hindered or even impossible for us without them.

Oh, and birth and nurse a new baby. We'll be doing that too. A surprise that we've recognised will likely move the major work to next year rather than this one as planned earlier, but that's real life, and that's all right with me.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 AM

In many locales it is possible to get a variance. You have to get permission from all neighbors that would be affected and go to a hearing, and depending on the variance get it renewed periodically. Usually you go through your zoning department.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
In many locales it is possible to get a variance. You have to get permission from all neighbors that would be affected and go to a hearing, and depending on the variance get it renewed periodically. Usually you go through your zoning department.
In Canada, it really depends on the province. The territories are more variable, but not in the cities usually (regulated heavily usually). But if you want livestock in the territories, it's super easy to live on the outskirts anyway.

In Ontario, we lived 7 hrs north of Thunder Bay and this is how in-town livestock was handled- on a case-by-case basis. Essentially the town council had to be convinced. Most of the time it was easier to just do it, then deal with the council afterwards because the process of getting 12 people to agree took so long or just was held up indefinitely.

When our friend wanted to start his homestead and farm, he ran for council and won a seat, which is how he ended up being able to do what he wanted to do (and made it possible for others too).

That's one way to do it, I guess. It was horrible for him though because he is such a libertarian/anarchist that he couldn't even finish his term- too many stress headaches and stomach-aches. I couldn't have even brought myself to run for office...

So, wow, if that's the way it is done in many areas of the US. Canada is very highly regulated in any of the more populous areas (cities closer to the border) and anywhere in Ontario and Alberta is much more bylaw-crazy than other areas of the country. The far north of everywhere is easiest to manoeuvre.

We have about ten times more gov't employees than the USA, and the USA has ten times more population.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

User Tag List