taking antibiotics, how to protect my body? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having to take a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection that just WILL NOT go away. I have a susceptibility to yeast infections so I am very worried. I make my own kefir and drink at least a cup a day of that. Is there anything else I could either be eating, or NOT eating, as the case may be?? I know sugar is a no-no. thanks!

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
*J*

PM'd you, hope that's alright!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#3 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM

I had c.diff., and I can tell you it is horrible. Took me a year to get back to my normal diet. I wish someone had told me that yogurt and even kefir is not enough. You need some good probiotics. I like Culturelle and some acidolopholus pearls because they tend to be easy on your stomach, but you can't take them at the same time as you take your anti-biotic. So if you take the anti-biotic morning and night, then you'd take the probiotics in the middle of the day. Otherwise, the anti-biotics kill off all of the good "bugs" you just put in. Florastor is a good yeast, which is not killed off by anti-biotics, but it is hard on my stomach. Some people tolerate it just fine, though. Also, continue taking the probiotics for a few weeks after you stop the anti-biotics to rebuild your flora.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

I'd think about increasing your kefir intake. I drink water kefir (can't do dairy) and I drink up to 2 quarts a day when things are feeling yeasty. I try to spread it out throughout the day - some with meals, some in between. I'd probably do the same while on antibiotics... that way I could keep the good bacteria coming and hopefully not have all of it killed off by the antibiotics.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page