How long do you cook your chicken broth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read somewhere that chicken bone broth only needs about 2-3 hours simmer time. What?! I simmer mine for, like, 8 hours. Am I crazy? Am I wasting nutrients? I usually simmer until the water reduces about 1/4 - 1/3, then add more water and simmer a few more hours. Is this wasteful? I get a really nice gelatinous broth, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting the good stuff out of the bones. And I like a thick, flavorful broth, so maybe that's why I cook it so long.

What does everyone else do?
#2 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM

2-4 days depending on if I forget about it. I do it in my crock pot though.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 PM

I like to do it at least until the bones are soft, about 14-16 hours. I used to do it longer, but then read that the gelatin starts deteriorating with longer simmers, and found that I got better gels with a shorter time. I'm focusing on my gut right now, so wanted to make sure I got some good gelatin.

But the minerals only really are drawn out with a very long simmer -- so the longer the better if you're interested in minerals.

Were you reading the Cook's Illustrated approach? They're more focused on taste and cooking time than nutrients, and they've found a good way to produce good-tasting broth in just a couple of hours. But I don't think it has many minerals in it!

Here's an amazing article that details the nutrients found in long-simmered broth, and why you want this stuff:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n10299306/

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Here's an amazing article that details the nutrients found in long-simmered broth, and why you want this stuff:
Great article, thanks! I'm trying to get a lot more bone broth in my diet since I found out I'm allergic to dairy and I think DS might be too. So the nutrients in the bones are REALLY important to me.
#5 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I do mine all day in the crockpot... 8 hours at least. Then, I chill overnight and skim off some.. but not all, of the fat.
#6 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM

1-3 days. It just depends... but I leave it in the crockpot, so it's not a big deal.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM

12 hours to 2 days. (Ideally 18-24 hours, but sometimes, it gets left at a simmer since I just don't have the time to deal with it for another day or two. I just top it off with more water.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#8 of 24 Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
12 hours to 2 days. (Ideally 18-24 hours, but sometimes, it gets left at a simmer since I just don't have the time to deal with it for another day or two. I just top it off with more water.)
pretty much exactly. my dh likes the bone broth so much he's taken over the timing of it.

eh. who needs a signature?
#9 of 24 Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Great article!!

I make a bone broth that goes for 24 hours, and then strain, and refrigerate, and make another broth that is still on the stove barely simmering. It has been on there for almost 2 weeks. We just get a scoop out and mix it with what ever we are eating. It is so concentrated that we only nee like 1/4 cup to get what would be in several cups of other bone broth.

Are any of those using crockpots to make broth concerned about the lead in the broth from the crockpot?
#10 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 AM

i just made some this weekend and i simmered it for about 18 hours but now that you posted that article and you ladies are saying you simmer for days, ima have to go longer to try it out, lol.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#11 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 AM

I have made it twice, about 24+ hours each time. But I don't really like the taste of it, it's kind of blah slightly burned. I'm wondering if my crockpot runs too hot, it's a new one.

What is bone broth really supposed to taste like? Like tasty when you drink it alone? 'Cause mine is not.

I have cooked mine for a long time because I thought that was the best way to get the minerals out. The bones actually crumble or break easily when I'm done, so I do think I am getting the minerals out. Just have bags of non-tasty broth in my freezer now!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#12 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
I have made it twice, about 24+ hours each time. But I don't really like the taste of it, it's kind of blah slightly burned. I'm wondering if my crockpot runs too hot, it's a new one.

What is bone broth really supposed to taste like? Like tasty when you drink it alone? 'Cause mine is not.

I have cooked mine for a long time because I thought that was the best way to get the minerals out. The bones actually crumble or break easily when I'm done, so I do think I am getting the minerals out. Just have bags of non-tasty broth in my freezer now!
Do you skim your broth? I've found that if I don't skim, sometimes the flavor is a bit off. Otherwise, mine is yummy on its own (usually I add crushed garlic and sea salt).
#13 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also find that when I make an "ordinary" 6-hour broth from a whole chicken, it tastes much better than when I just use leftover bones. Even if I simmer them for 24 hours, the broth tastes weak. Of course, I assume it's full of minerals though.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#14 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Are any of those using crockpots to make broth concerned about the lead in the broth from the crockpot?
Yes, me! That's why I don't use my crockpot. I get a little squirrelly about things like that.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#15 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:

It should be pretty tasty -- I usually just add salt and drink a mug of it. Maybe it's your cooking pot? I once had an off taste when I cooled it in a stainless steel bowl instead of in glass.

#16 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM

I've gone to shorter simmers for the gelatin, knowing that we're not getting as much mineral-wise. So usually about 6 hours for us.

I didn't realize until recently, Asian markets apparently often have chicken feet for sale, pop in a few and really bump up the amount of gelatin. I've done that with pigs' feet in a slow cooker with a roast as well--it gives a really nice mouth-feel to the liquid and the veggies in with the roast.

And on a related note--do you ever think how you're messing up your kids? Mine will grow up believing that refrigerated soup is solid. Bwahahahahaha......
#17 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I've gone to shorter simmers for the gelatin, knowing that we're not getting as much mineral-wise. So usually about 6 hours for us.

I didn't realize until recently, Asian markets apparently often have chicken feet for sale, pop in a few and really bump up the amount of gelatin. I've done that with pigs' feet in a slow cooker with a roast as well--it gives a really nice mouth-feel to the liquid and the veggies in with the roast.

And on a related note--do you ever think how you're messing up your kids? Mine will grow up believing that refrigerated soup is solid. Bwahahahahaha......
I know how important the gelatin is, but I also need the minerals. Do you consider the gelatin more important since you supplement the additional minerals? I am trying to get the best of both worlds and do a first short broth for the gelatin, and then make a another one that simmers for about a week. Our bone broth simmering right now is so concentrated that we only need 1/4 cup to replace what is equivalent to a cup of milk.

Yeah, my dd jumped up and down shouting "yippee, my oil, my oil!" when our fermented CLO came in the mail. Our kids will never be the same.
#18 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I made turkey broth using the necks. I simmered it overnight in the crockpot and till about noon the next day. We put it in the fridge and it gelled. It wasnt a solid gel but it still gelled. I am assumin I got both gelatin and minerals using this method.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#19 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Personally even "good tasting" broth, I don't find it tasty plain. what I do like is it spiced up with some garlic, lemon juice or lime juice, and salt. (or more complicated seasonings). It shouldn't taste too off though. (Once mine tasted bitter and soapy. clearly, it wasn't good, though I still don't know what happened, or which pot wasn't clean etc.)

you like to skim your broth? how do you skim it? I find that I can skim it, and it needs to be skimmed again 5 minutes later. (I can't seem to get my broth at below a slow boil down to a real simmer. I've tried practically everything and it won't go there on this stove.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#20 of 24 Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 AM

I generally cook mine for 48 hours- I find that the taste improves and gets a LOT richer that second day. But it refuses to gel..... I've done beef broth recently and that's come out like jello, but I can't seem to get my chicken broth to gel. I use feet and everything.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#21 of 24 Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I know how important the gelatin is, but I also need the minerals. Do you consider the gelatin more important since you supplement the additional minerals? I am trying to get the best of both worlds and do a first short broth for the gelatin, and then make a another one that simmers for about a week. Our bone broth simmering right now is so concentrated that we only need 1/4 cup to replace what is equivalent to a cup of milk.

Yeah, my dd jumped up and down shouting "yippee, my oil, my oil!" when our fermented CLO came in the mail. Our kids will never be the same.
DD's digestion has been iffy since Christmas or so, so I'm focusing on the gelatin for her. And I do supplement minerals with a pill, so in order to make my life easier, I just decided shorter stock-making would be it for us.

I've wondered if a double use of the bones (short-simmer batch and then a long-simmer one) would work, it seems reasonable but I'm just not that organized right now. It seems like a good idea.

Quote:
you like to skim your broth? how do you skim it? I find that I can skim it, and it needs to be skimmed again 5 minutes later. (I can't seem to get my broth at below a slow boil down to a real simmer. I've tried practically everything and it won't go there on this stove.)
The easiest way I made broth, and I can't do it in this house, is to use the oven. My old oven had an electronic temperature setting, and I used a brick to support the bottom rack and I put in 2 pots of stock for about 2 days at a time. Worked great, I could dial in the temp to a very slow simmer. I started on the stovetop, though, but skimmed as it was coming up to a simmer.

Can't do it now, so I just live with the stovetop. Maybe a larger stockpot would work? More mass, more surface area (sides of the pot as well as the top of the stock) to lose heat.
#22 of 24 Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM

I usually cook chicken broth for 24-36 hours in the crock pot, sometimes longer if I forget about it or don't have time. My personal rule is that any kind of broth isn't done until I can easily put a fork through the bones or the bones crumble when I pick them up with tongs. I figure that I'm getting some decent minerals that way.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#23 of 24 Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM

It depends on my method. I'm never home regularly for more than 12 hours, it seems, so if I'm cooking on the stove top, it's about 12 hours (an overnighter). IF I'm crockpotting, I will go about 24 or so hours. I definitely see the difference gel or no gel wise.

signature currently in transition
#24 of 24 Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I find that I can skim it, and it needs to be skimmed again 5 minutes later. (I can't seem to get my broth at below a slow boil down to a real simmer. I've tried practically everything and it won't go there on this stove.)
Do you have a simmer plate? This really helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page