what are your TF comfort foods for morning sickness? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sure I am not the only one with morning sickness who craves nothing but Pizza Hut pizza (or other similarly unhealthy foods!). Please share your TF (or at least halfways healthy) comfort foods for coping with morning sickness!
#2 of 19 Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Ginger root and pear juice worked the best for me. That and the wrist pressure bands, but they annoyed me after a while.
#3 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM

I can honestly say I did not crave any TF foods last time around.

But I was very very sick and could not hold much of anything down either.

Resistance is futile Matey
#4 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm with Thystle.

But, the one thing that I could eat every morning and not puke up was an apple. First thing every morning I'd eat an apple, then 20 minutes later I could have eggs without wanting to spew. If I skipped the eggs, then in another hour the nausea would be back.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
I can honestly say I did not crave any TF foods last time around.

But I was very very sick and could not hold much of anything down either.

And may I just say:
congrats, caedmyn!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#6 of 19 Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 AM

I have to admit that I craved nothing but junk during the first trimester (and ate a lot of it too!) One thing that I could always turn too, though, was cheese. Cheese was often a part of what I was craving anyway (on pizza and cheeseburgers, etc.), so I could eat my good-for-me cheese that I had at home and know that I was eating something healthy. I also really liked eating fruit, so that was a good thing. Seemed like anything sweet/sour or fruity helped my stomach feel better.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#7 of 19 Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 PM

I did not eat any style during my first trimester! I ate whatever appealed to me at that moment (not much) and lost 8 lbs. I tried to just get at least my liquids in every day. I did alot of 50/50 apple juice and water (really cold with ice drank through a straw). What I ate one day never appealed to me the next day. I ate a ton of carbs and just tried to eat whatever I could mangae. My goal was not end up on meds, which I didn't! The nasuea basically subsided around 12 weeks and was completely gone by 15weeks. My friend would eat a bit of whatever she was craving and then try to eat something tf after....like a slice of pizza (generally she didn't eat till lunch) and then an egg fried in butter with whatever else sounded good at that second.
#8 of 19 Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM

I had morning sickness until 20 weeks with my DS, so I feel for you. Nothing I ate could help with it though, I'll be honest! At about 10 weeks or so I read on here that alot of mamas had success with dandelion root capsules. They were inexpensive at the health food store so I gave them a go. Oh my word! As long as I remembered to take them before bed each night, I woke up feeling healthy and fab and it lasted all day. Usually I only needed one at night, but if the morning sickness seemed really strong I'd have to take two. There is a lot of research about MS being a result of the liver working so hard, and herbs etc. that support the liver will help it go away.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#9 of 19 Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM

I puke no matter what I eat and rarely does anything stay down anyhow. I have HG when pregnant. ugh.

honestly i think a body needa break from "whole food" in the sense of "whole grain" and "full fat" when a stomach is feeling bad. plain white jasmine rice and other very easily digestable foods are good when you're feelng really sick to your stomach. a digestive system needs time to work on healing and correcting and shoving a bunch fo steak and sprouted grains into it usually is only going to make matter worse lol.

but yeah... if you actually CRAVE "whole grain" TF foods go for it. whatever works! other than that anything lite is good. tea is really calming and you can even add drops of minerals and vitamins into it to help boost your body. chicken or veggie broths if you can stomach it.

I guess it depends if you're sick sick... or just bleh sick.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#10 of 19 Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 AM

I admit my diet has not been the greatest this pregnancy since I've been craving refined carbs since the first tri

However, I did manage to get my fair share, even when nauseous, of chicken bone broth, raw milk, and all sorts of potatoes.

mashed potatoes with butter and cream
roasted potatoes with butter and rosemary
potato pancakes with leftover mashed

yogurt with berries
fruit in general
mineral water with a little orange juice

that's pretty much what I lived on first tri (well, that and organic raisin bran type cereal, which isn't very good for you but sounded good )

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#11 of 19 Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Preggo here, too. I'm having a really hard time believing this is possible, but I'm not having any morning sickness whatsoever. Besides being really sleepy in the evening and a bit emotional, I'm doing great! I'm praying this baby is OK.

Here's my history:

DS#1 - Vomiting 3-5 times a day for 15 weeks. Lost too much weight, couldn't move I was so sick. Ended pregnancy with PUPPPS (horrible). Doctor wanted me to go on meds for the vomiting. Eating hardcore SAD.

DD#2 - Very nauseous and very tired. Threw up only once, but hated eating. Cried a lot for about 12 weeks. Eating NT, lots of soaked grains, light on the meat.

DBaby#3 - Eating Primal, no grains no potatoes, some raw cheese, butter, berries, veggies, heck of a lot of meat and fat.

Is being grain/sugar/starch free the difference? Is my liver less burdened by the lack of sugars in my diet and can better handle the pregnancy hormones? All I know is it's working and I'm not going to stop!!

Good luck to all suffering from morning sickness.
#12 of 19 Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 PM

I don't have any advice but wanted to say I am right there with you. I keep thinking of all the lovely, yummy, healthy things I could be cooking that would be so good for me and my baby...but all I want is a Big Mac. That and I just don't have the energy to cook.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#13 of 19 Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post

DBaby#3 - Eating Primal, no grains no potatoes, some raw cheese, butter, berries, veggies, heck of a lot of meat and fat.

Is being grain/sugar/starch free the difference? Is my liver less burdened by the lack of sugars in my diet and can better handle the pregnancy hormones? All I know is it's working and I'm not going to stop!!
My friend who just gave birth to her baby yesterday ate primal for 2 years before conceiving (to control her candida so she did grain-free, no starchy veggies and no dairy except butter) and she had no morning sickness whatsoever either, but then later on in her pregnancy she started eating some grains, sugar, etc., but she said she still felt great.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#14 of 19 Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only things I could reliably eat during the first trimester were potato chips and honey nut cheerios.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#15 of 19 Old 03-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I am sure I am not the only one with morning sickness who craves nothing but Pizza Hut pizza (or other similarly unhealthy foods!). Please share your TF (or at least halfways healthy) comfort foods for coping with morning sickness!
That's funny. I craved Mama Celeste pizza for one for all 3 of my pregnancies. For the last one I was on a Mediterranean style diet, and I did eat a lot of French bread dipped in olive oil too, but I was eating pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner a lot! But with my first pregnancy, I wanted oranges (4-5 a day) for the first trimester (besides the pizza).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

And may I just say:
congrats, caedmyn!
Congrats from me too! With my nauseousness, I would crave something and by the time I made it, I wouldn't want it anymore, so... I'm thinking having food handy to eat might help (hard boiled eggs kept in the fridge, or chicken broth in the fridge that you just have to heat up and throw some leftover rice in).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#16 of 19 Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 AM

I was soooo sick with this last pregnancy. The only thing I could consume that was TF was raw milk banana or strawberry milkshakes (one a day). Maybe the people making them for me snuck other stuff in (I couldn't even go near the kitchen). In fact, other than that the only other thing I can remember eating was frozen juice popsicles. Then I saw an awesome homeopath and after a few hours of taking the remedy he prescribed, I was no longer spending the day in the fetal position Still not that crazy about eating though.
So yeah, I too ate many bowls of raisin bran (the raw jersey milk counts for something!!).

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#17 of 19 Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Well, that lasted a few weeks... I have finally started to feel a little nauseous (but no vomiting) in the last few days. Today the only thing that sounded good to eat was black beans - definitely not Primal!! Anyway, I gave in today and bought myself some...unfortunately I needed to eat them immediately so I got the canned beans. They were good, though. And I may eat some more for dinner. Sigh, such is the first trimester!
#18 of 19 Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 PM

This is so interesing to me because the thought of most conventional foods made me feel even more queasy and I wasn't TF at the time at all.
But fruit was a go to for sure, the thought of it didn't make me want to spew.
I did the lemon water thing A LOT. I did fried eggs in butter with toast and tabasco(what can I say, I'm southern) and lots of crudite and dip dinners.
I remember I ate a TON if ice cream, though.
#19 of 19 Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM

The only foods that appealed during that time were fruit salad with pecans (not too bad, homemade) and Lay's potato chips (not good! but my midwife reminded me it was better than starving!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page