dairy and egg free coconut flour recipes any suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got a great deal on some organic coconut flour but as i'm currently having to be dairy and egg free i'm not sure i can use it! any recipes?
is it possible to bake without eggs?

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#2 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 01:23 PM

No, I don't think it is possible w/o eggs, unless mixed with mostly something else.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Unfortunately it is not possible to bake with coconut flour without eggs. You can sometimes reduce the number of eggs in a recipe, but it will not work without them. Believe me...I've tried and it is not good!
#4 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 PM

Have you tried Duck eggs? For some (like me), duck eggs are tolerated when chicken eggs are not. I was so happy when I discovered them because I could bake again!
#5 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 11:46 PM

The spunky coconut blog has lots of recipes that utilize coconut flour, typically blended w/ equal parts of tapioca starch, to make baked goods. They can all be dairy free (she sometimes uses ghee but coconut oil can be used in place of it.) Here are some links--search her site for more!

I've used the sandwich rolls recipe to make pizza crust (adding spices) and it worked well for me. I made the cinnamon rolls and didn't *love* them. But I think they are worth trying if you want to use the coconut flour!

HTH!

sandwich rolls
saffron buns
banana bread
chocolate chip cookies
onion-poppy seed and cinnamon raisin bagels
cinnamon rolls
brownies
strawberry cupcake kabobs

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#6 of 7 Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

great thanks for all the links.
if all else fails i can use it with eggs in baking for dd its just that ds seems to be so sensitive to dairy and eggs in my breastmilk so i'm off them for now. but i would love a nice piece of cake!
thanks,

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#7 of 7 Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 PM

I hate egg free - eggs would make life w/o dairy and gluten so much easier! I find it easier to bake with almond flour. I have even subbed up to 3 eggs successfully, with 2 flax eggs and 1 Ener-G egg replacer in an almond flour recipe. These brownie cupcakes are really awesome:

http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/...chocolate.html

I used honey for the agave and coconut oil for the grapeseed, mixed some coconut butter with honey and cocoa and enough coconut milk to make smooth for the frosting.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page