Liver Pills - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read in some other threads about people swallowing chunks of raw liver like a pill and how they made a big difference in their health. I wanted to try this and found some grass fed, organic liver. The problem is that I can only buy it frozen. Since I can't defrost it, cut it up, the refreeze it, how can I go about using it for liver pills or am I out of luck??? Any suggestions from those of you who use liver like this?
#2 of 20 Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Frozen is the best way to do it for liver pills, in my experience, both for swallowing and slicing. I take my frozen liver out of the freezer, let it sit for about ten minutes, which makes it more easy to slice. I then cut it into strips, then cut the strips into pill-sized pieces.

By the time you've got them into pieces, they're starting to thaw more, which is inconvenient because then they stick together in the bag. So I just cut up a few strips at time and transfer the chunks immediately to the plastic bag in one layer. Then when they get fully frozen again, they're easier to break apart back into little chunks.

ETA: Here's the link to the original liver pills thread, which is now closed for some reason: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=798808

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#3 of 20 Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM

Here are two GREAT articles that will further inspire you:

Nourishing the liver

Anti-fatigue Factor of Liver

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 20 Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Frozen is the best way to do it for liver pills, in my experience, both for swallowing and slicing. I take my frozen liver out of the freezer, let it sit for about ten minutes, which makes it more easy to slice. I then cut it into strips, then cut the strips into pill-sized pieces.

By the time you've got them into pieces, they're starting to thaw more, which is inconvenient because then they stick together in the bag. So I just cut up a few strips at time and transfer the chunks immediately to the plastic bag in one layer. Then when they get fully frozen again, they're easier to break apart back into little chunks.

ETA: Here's the link to the original liver pills thread, which is now closed for some reason: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=798808
I've been wanting to do this bbbuuuutttt liver makes my stomach turn like nothing else While you cut it up while frozen can you smell the liver?? I finally when and got some liver but I couldn't get myself to even touch it so I gave it to my mom to use.
#5 of 20 Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I've been wanting to do this bbbuuuutttt liver makes my stomach turn like nothing else While you cut it up while frozen can you smell the liver?? I finally when and got some liver but I couldn't get myself to even touch it so I gave it to my mom to use.
No, I can't smell it when I cut it up -- but I'm not supersensitive to the idea of it. If you're having trouble touching it, it might bother you. I don't know. I can't smell it, and when I swallow it every now and then I get the faintest hint of taste -- but not much.

Can you get your mom to cut it up, and you just try to swallow it? One step at a time.

#6 of 20 Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been doing this on and off for a few months and the difference in energy is amazing. I do not let the liver thaw at all before cutting it. I do run hot water over the knives I use so they go through the meat more easily, but I find that it's easiest for me if the meat is solid. Once it starts to melt it gets harder to cut and I've also found that the longer it thaws, the stronger the smell is (I was in my first trimester most of the time I was taking the liver, so I had a very heightened sense of smell).

I like to cut up as much as possible at one time, which usually ends up being 1-2 weeks worth. Each days serving is heaping tbsp of "pills." The storage system I use is Tupperware "smidget" and "midget" containers (each can hold 1 or 2 ounces). I put the "pills" straight into the containers so I have single servings already measured out to minimize how much I have to handle the liver.

I grab one of the pre-filled containers and wash the "pills" down with about 8 oz of either raw milk (before I realized this could hinder the absorbtion of iron) or a strong-tasting drink, such as unsweetened cranberry, tomato, or vegetable juice.

HTH!

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#7 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! I am in desperate need of some energy so I'm glad to know that this should help and to know how easy it is to do!
#8 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
No, I can't smell it when I cut it up -- but I'm not supersensitive to the idea of it. If you're having trouble touching it, it might bother you. I don't know. I can't smell it, and when I swallow it every now and then I get the faintest hint of taste -- but not much.

Can you get your mom to cut it up, and you just try to swallow it? One step at a time.
haha I told my mom today she's going to have to cut it up for me So you can't chase it with raw milk!!??? Bummer
#9 of 20 Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 AM

There's no reason you can't refreeze meat, especially if it's only defrosted while you cut it up. No biggie!
Proceed with super liver benefits!!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#10 of 20 Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 AM

after reading the nourishing the liver article, I think I'll track down some grass-fed beef liver (pastured chicken livers simply can't be had in any quantity greater than 1 per chicken with each chicken around here it seems), and give this a try.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#11 of 20 Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally got brave enough to cut some up and try this yesterday! But afterward, I had a headache and still have one this morning. I took it before bed and had the headache all night. It is pretty dull and I'm not sure if it is related at all-could be that I am just tired. But I rarely ever get headaches, so I am not sure. Is this normal???

Also, I cut up the pieces and put it in a ziplock freezer bag. Is it okay for the meat to be opening/closing the bag each day? Should I find a better storage method?

Is there a time of day that is best to take it and is there some things that are better to eat/drink with it?
#12 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have answers to the last questions I posted?
#13 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_eyes View Post
afterward, I had a headache and still have one this morning. I took it before bed and had the headache all night. It is pretty dull and I'm not sure if it is related at all-could be that I am just tired. But I rarely ever get headaches, so I am not sure. Is this normal???
Like you, I very rarely get headaches but I've gotten them (dull, frontal) from eating liver. So you're not alone.
I think our reaction might be due to us being very vit D deficient.

According to the WAPF:
Quote:
Chicken liver, which is lower in vitamin A, may be consumed more frequently. If you experience headaches or joint pains at this level, cut back until the symptoms go away.
Also...
Quote:
In adults, according to the Merck Manual, vitamin A toxicity has been reported in Arctic explorers who developed drowsiness, irritability, headaches and vomiting, with subsequent peeling of the skin, within a few hours of ingesting several million units of vitamin A from polar bear or seal liver. Again, these symptoms clear up with discontinuation of the vitamin A-rich food.
http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Liver-Files.html
#14 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 11:33 AM

I personally would ONLY take liver in the morning or early afternoon, but never later. I cannot sleep if I get a big dose of b-vits like that in the evening, and have had crazy vivid nightmares when first starting liver (I took actual pills from dr. ron's in the past.) I had to build my tolerance for it when I was taking it...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#15 of 20 Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Oooh I'm glad to see this thread is still open, is anyone currently taking liver "pills"?  I'm going to start, hopefully i can get some cut tonight while the kids sleep.  To adress the question of thawing and re-freezing  meat: When meat is frozen, thawed and refrozen it becomes mushy when you thaw and try to eat it the next time, That is why they say dont thaw and refreeze, because it will have a horrible texture next time you attempt to eat it.  There is the issue of food safety as well but as long as the meat does not become warm or sit out exposed for long periods of time, there is little chance of bacteria growing enough to make you sick.

#16 of 20 Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I tried the pills but it was such a PITA I gave up.

Now I eat sandwiches made with fried slices of Braunschweiger liver pâté with sweet pickles. It sounds weird but it tastes good! 

#17 of 20 Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I also tried and abandoned the pills. Too much hassle and not enough liver per portion.

Since I have a small household I usually deal with all meat by partially thawing it, cutting it into portions, and refreezing. I've found that meat is easier to cut in a partially frozen state. I do the same with liver and organs. I cut them slightly smaller than bite-sized and package them in 1-cup containers. Then I thaw 1 cup at a time so they don't get old in the frig.

To eat the liver we fork out a few thawed raw pieces onto a plate and bolt them with a chaser. We prefer chicken, rabbit, and lamb liver and hearts because they are smaller and require less cutting; they are also less bloody than beef liver when thawed because they aren't chopped up as much.

We do eat beef and pork liverwurst and brunschweiger. It's not a favorite, but we eat it.

#18 of 20 Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I just cut up probably a months worth of little chunks last night.  I took my first one this morning and I feel no different, not that I really expected to, but it can't hurt to take them right, so I'll continue for now at least!!  This is certainly not my only source of liver, I try to include it in many other dishes as well, as well as taking FCLO!

And yeah, beef liver is massive, holy crap!!  I got a beef this summer and pureed about 2/3 of the liver, now that was a PITA!!  So now I am working with out 1/3 of a whole beef liver which is much easier :)  I have no other source of liver, but may be able to get a sheep liver from some friends, I'll see!!  Is there a difference between the beef and lamb liver nutritionally speaking?

#19 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM

I cut up a pound of raw liver and consume it over the course of 7-8 days.  I let a chunk thaw in the morning, throw it in a blending cup with some juice and use my immersion blender to make a smoothie.  I hold my breath and chug it. 

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#20 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you're going to put it in a smoothie, chicken liver may be more palatable. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page