disappointed with my midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my midwife and I didn't go there for diet advice but still...the advice she gave me was horrible.
First, she said to avoid processed foods and than she gives me a list of "good protein" to have during pregnancy that includes: soy yogourt, low fat cottage cheese, veggie burger, veggie hot dog and many more.
She also said to avoid eating too much fat and started talking about all kinds of supplements that I might want to take.
Anyway...I didn't know what to say so I just listened. Next time I see her, she wants me to bring a 7 day schedule of what I eat every day. I don't know what she will say when she finds out what I eat. I guess I just don't know how to explain to her that I am not willing to change my diet and that I believe that fat it good for me.
Did any of you experience a similar situation?
#2 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Yes, I got similar food advice at my first MW appointment. I nodded along but also have no intention of following it. She can't make you eat that stuff, and I can't imagine she'd get upset with you or accuse you of harming your baby if you continue to eat the foods you're comfortable with. If I were you I would just hand her my 7-day schedule with a smile and shrug if she acted surprised. It would be even better if you're not experiencing much nausea because you could explain that you've found these foods are helping your stomach.

FWIW, my good friend from India told me that they make sure to feed pregnant women there lots and lots of fat. Obviously this "non-recommended" high-fat practice has not hurt their birth rates much.

9/2011 items decluttered
#3 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 PM
kl5

I got the same advice and handouts. I ignored them, and my pregnancy is going great, so there has been no follow-up conversations about my diet. That said, if you wanted to be a trailblazer, why not tell your MW exactly what you are eating and why. Then, as your pregnancy progresses beautifully and healthily, she'll have a data point challenging the status quo "nutrition" advice that keeps getting passed along with no question or study...
#4 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you don't agree on nutrition ideas with her, I wouldn't do a 7-day food journal. I'd just say, I have different views on good nutrition, I've given a lot of thought to my diet, and I'm comfortable with it.

If you want to have a more in-depth discussion, you could point out the inconsistencies in the advice she's given you, but for me, I'd probably just approach it as a topic we don't agree on, so let's move on to other things.
#5 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM

I would give her some literature on the dangers of soy instead of a 7 day journal. I wouldn't be confrontational I would just say that you eat a very healthy well balanced diet and aren't seeking nutritional counseling. Give her the literature to show the extreme dangers of processed soy, she probably has no idea how bad it is for you. Just say that she might find this research interesting and then change the subject to something more upbeat and neutral. If she is rude or confrontational after you have been nice and meek then I would say this is a warning for how she will be in labor. Midwives who are pushy about diet and other things are usually pushy and try to dominate the delivery. Midwives should be all about doing what the mother wants, not the other way around.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#6 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Oh, bother- that was one of my interview questions w/ my last mw. I told her that I have already figured out what works for me diet wise and am not interested in much diet advice and was especially opposed to vegetarian lf diets. I let her know though that I eat nice whole foods and low sugar which I think was her main food concerns. I wouldn't do the journal myself but let her know that your views are different but impress upon her that eating whoe nutrient rich foods are very important to you.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
If you don't agree on nutrition ideas with her, I wouldn't do a 7-day food journal. I'd just say, I have different views on good nutrition, I've given a lot of thought to my diet, and I'm comfortable with it.

If you want to have a more in-depth discussion, you could point out the inconsistencies in the advice she's given you, but for me, I'd probably just approach it as a topic we don't agree on, so let's move on to other things.
this. theres no point in sharing a 7 day diet that will dramatically conflict with her so-called medical nutritional information/beliefs.
#8 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM

the baby needs fat to grow well!! And good fats make healthy,smart babies~ I would share with her it may help future babies!
#9 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen24 View Post
I love my midwife and I didn't go there for diet advice but still...the advice she gave me was horrible.
First, she said to avoid processed foods and than she gives me a list of "good protein" to have during pregnancy that includes: soy yogourt, low fat cottage cheese, veggie burger, veggie hot dog and many more.
She also said to avoid eating too much fat and started talking about all kinds of supplements that I might want to take.
Anyway...I didn't know what to say so I just listened. Next time I see her, she wants me to bring a 7 day schedule of what I eat every day. I don't know what she will say when she finds out what I eat. I guess I just don't know how to explain to her that I am not willing to change my diet and that I believe that fat it good for me.
Did any of you experience a similar situation?
That just sounds really generic and geared towards someone with a mainstream diet. I would just tell her you are informed on the subject and have a really natural/strong diet or something to that effect.

And give her something about the soy problems!

I had a midwife tell me I had to restrict my protein intake so I wouldn't have a large baby.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#10 of 24 Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Whoa, Nelly! Personally, I would hop up on my . In my mind I want to think of midwives as these sacred mother nurturing beings that are the flipside of modern medicalized baby deliverers. But I suppose there has to be grey areas. I would feel like I need to re-educate her. Like I would want to help all the mothers down the line that this woman would be in contact with. But I know not everybody is confrontational. Baking baby-muffin is tough enough without crusades to go riding away on.

My neutral stance... Go ahead and give her the 7-day log. It doesn't do any good to hide who you are and what you do from someone who needs to know what's going on with you. If you are making this lady part of your pregnancy and birth journey, she ought to be hip to how you do things. She isn't hesitating to inform you of her ideas with all her handouts, right? She might be open to discussing your points. Or she might need some more info(that you might be able to share) to feel comfortable. Or she might flip her lid. If she did that, then at least you would know what to expect. A PP said it first... That this might be a way to feel her out as a person... Is she going to steam roller you on this diet thing? Is she going to steam roller you on everything?

IT might not be a bad idea to adopt the "let's not go there and agree to disagree" stance either. I think it all depends on what you feel like doing. You run this show, mama. Don't let anybody try to take your baby making butter away.
#11 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 AM

I've been lucky with the midwives that I see. I had to turn in a one-day journal of what I ate, and they seemed quite happy with it. My bad experience with in my last pregnancy. I had GD and had to go to diabetic nutrition counseling and meet with a dietician once a week throughout the last few months of my pregnancy. I didn't take me more than a day or two to realize that the diet they gave me was ridiculous. If I had eaten the things they told me to eat, my blood sugar would have been sky-high! So I just stuck really closely to a high protein, high fat diet that I knew would balance my blood sugar. When the dietician would look at my food journal, she would freak out and try to tell me that it was all wrong. But she couldn't argue with my blood sugar testing results. I tested a lot more often than they asked me to, even in the middle of the night, just so I could prove that I was right!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#12 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
That just sounds really generic and geared towards someone with a mainstream diet. I would just tell her you are informed on the subject and have a really natural/strong diet or something to that effect.

And give her something about the soy problems!

I had a midwife tell me I had to restrict my protein intake so I wouldn't have a large baby.
seriously, restrict protien in pg?!? my homebirth mw was all about the brewer diet, ie. lots of protien and real food. i guess i lucked out.
#13 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM

My last pair of MWs had advice like this but one of them ended up eating beef again after she met me and the other midwife wanted to know more about my bone broth recipe. (I do a paleo-TF type diet) My MWs are also very hands-off/uncontrolling practioners and I think they just want people to pay attention their diet.

Another MW I had wanted me to make a food journal and she was into super low fat vegan stuff. She could tell I felt uncomfortable with that and I never did do it. I feel kind of weird making a big food journal for someone when having no apparent problems KWIM?

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#14 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
If your MW is that interested in your diet, I would ask other questions- I wouldn't want surprises later on, not regarding diet. Find out if you two have other differences, you just might.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#15 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
JMJ

I would try not to get too upset about the information she gave you, at least until you have more information. I was a whole foods, soy is a wonder veggie person for a while, and it took me a long time to understand the controversy. I really see moving to TF as progressing naturally from the philosophy of starting with whole, raw, unprocessed ingredients. The next question is how to prepare them to maximize nutrition.

She seems to understand that processed foods are bad for pregnancy, so when she finds that there aren't any on your food journal, she may not be as upset as you think. Next time, if she recommends soy, you can talk to her about its antinutrient properties. You can also talk to her about how you aren't comfortable with the processing needed to create tofu and other soy products. If she questions you about milkfat, tell her that you aren't comfortable with the processing needed to remove the milkfat, and there has been a lot of new research to show that milkfat is good for pregnancy.

I think that most midwives would respect that. If it's a big deal, it's probably better to know now than later. You probably won't agree with her on everything, but it would probably be a good think to know how you handle disagreements. A good midwife will be able to respect your medical decisions without making your life difficult for them. I know that my hb midwife was pro-ultrasound, especially the doppler but respected that I didn't want to use ultrasound and just used a fetoscope, thought that newborn screening was a bad idea but performed the test for us, and recommended iron supplements when I was anemic but didn't have a problem with me just eating more steak instead.
#16 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM

I was soooooo lucky to have a mw that understood and was educated on traditional foods. I would give her your journal/diary along with some flyers from wapf or printed info on soy and traditional foods in general. It might open a conversation. And, on the other end of the spectrum, you might end up saying "I hope you understand I have done much research into diet and food and will be eating this way based on my extensive research."

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#17 of 24 Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 AM

I am a midwife and I would love if my clients who had other ways of eating than I do would share with me. I think she is just making sure you are not just mindlessly eating bad things---If you show her you have definite ideas about nutrition and are smart about what you eat, I can't imagine she would judge you. She might learn something too! And yes, tell her about the cons of soy. She should know!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#18 of 24 Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 AM

When I got pregnant with DD and my previous MW was unavailable I think one of the first questions I asked the new MW was, "I drink raw milk, is this going to be a problem for you?"

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#19 of 24 Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I am totally against soy, but if I were in your shoes, I would probably give a 7 day food journal. Just because even though your midwife may believe differently, it may help you in other areas like saying "oh yeah, I never realized I am not getting enough calcium or vitamin b-6." Perhaps it will help you to eat even better or focus on what you may be missing.

Here is what I am talking about. Sure this place does has some things wrong, but I still really like it for getting a base on what I may be missing nutritionally:
http://whfoods.org/foodadvisor.php
#20 of 24 Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 AM

I would do the journal, and if she offers feedback, just tell her that you read the info she gave you, but that you have put a lot of thought, research, and consideration into your current diet and feel it is the best for you and your baby. A midwife is supposed to support the mother's intuition. If she is not understanding and respectful of your diet, I would question her ability to respect the choices you make while birthing.

That being said, I bet you won't have a problem. It sounds like she is probably just trying to offer vegetarian suggestions for her clients who may or may not be veg/vegan. Offering info on the dangers of soy is not a bad idea, just so she can pass it along to her other clients.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#21 of 24 Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
When I got pregnant with DD and my previous MW was unavailable I think one of the first questions I asked the new MW was, "I drink raw milk, is this going to be a problem for you?"
Me too!! I was lucky to have midwives who totally supported TF-style eating.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#22 of 24 Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. I have decided to make the 7 day journal and make sure I mention on there the fact that I eat liver, whole milk, butter, cream, eggs,...I won't mention the fact that the dairy products I consume are raw unless she asks.
It will be interesting to see her reaction and I guess we will go from there.
#23 of 24 Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen24 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. I have decided to make the 7 day journal and make sure I mention on there the fact that I eat liver, whole milk, butter, cream, eggs,...I won't mention the fact that the dairy products I consume are raw unless she asks.
It will be interesting to see her reaction and I guess we will go from there.
sounds good, but i woudl also have some info on hand about TF eating, in case she is interested. That way you can give her something to read, maybe she'll be open to it! Unfortunately, I have found that MOST "health conscious" peolpe i have encoutnered ahve been swayed by the more mainstream "vegetarian and soy" philosophy of what is "healthy", so it doesn't surprise me at all.

CPST
#24 of 24 Old 03-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Ditto, and if you can get your hands on some good research showing the importance of fat and cholesterol in the development of babies both before and after birth that wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe she just hasn't been exposed to it yet and you could enlighten her and help the moms who come after you have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies. Or maybe she'll throw it in the trash. But you will have done something about it.

My midwife had pretty sound dietary advice (which unfortunately I didn't heed, because it was before I myself became enlightened). She wanted me to eat low carb, non-processed, no sugar food. She was really big on oils and fats (she also sells eggs out of her practice- awesome!) for healthy brain development in kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page