Trader Joe's Pink Himalayan Salt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We normally use Real Salt but this Pink Salt was a good price at TJ's so recently bought this to keep on the table.

It is SO salty. Overpoweringly so. One twist of the grinder practically makes my food inedible. I don't find this with Real Salt.

Am I having some kind of reaction? I've read that thinking natural salt is not "salty enough" can point to mineral deficiencies, what about the opposite - thinking natural salt is too salty??

or is someone gonna tell me that the TJs salt is really dyed table salt

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
I've read that thinking natural salt is not "salty enough" can point to mineral deficiencies,

Very interesting! Can you point me to what you read by any chance? I find the TJ sea salt not anywhere near salty enough.

The pink one is very pretty and I am drawn to it!. I will try it next time and let you know if it seems more salty to me than the TJ white sea salt.
#3 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I didn't necessarily find the salt itself to be stronger, but I did think that a *lot* more was released per grind. It dumped out a ton! Perhaps that was what you were experiencing?

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#4 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 PM

I think it's the same saltitude as any other salt I've had, but yeah, the grinder releases a bit too much. Try just shaking it over your veggies or whatever like a regular shaker - you'll get a fine shake of salt that shouldn't overpower what you're eating.

I bought it because it was pretty.
#5 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM

I've always thought that RealSalt was a lot less salty than "regular" salt. So yeah- whenever we run out of RealSalt and have to use our backup regular salt, I have to remember to use less.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM

I think the pink salt is "softer" so in theory it would release more per grind. We did a salt tasting once in our house, pink, celtic, normandy, etc.. it was really fun. Having this experience really helped me in knowing what salts work best for whatever type of cooking I was doing.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#7 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't really care for salt but we use Pink Himalayan salt in our kitchen and I find it brings out the flavor of the food without an overpowering salt taste, such as I usually get with table salt. We don't get our Pink Himalayan at TJ's, so maybe they do something different to it in the processing, but I do really like the kind we get.

If you can get a slab of Pink Himalayan, try broiling fish or baking bread on it in the oven. Soooo good! And all you do is wipe it clean when you're finished, and you can keep using it for months. It's also good to serve chocolate desserts on, or cheeses.
#8 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
We did a salt tasting once in our house, pink, celtic, normandy, etc.. it was really fun. Having this experience really helped me in knowing what salts work best for whatever type of cooking I was doing.
- SAME here- one salt does not fit all foods, same goes for types of pepper corns

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#9 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelilah View Post
If you can get a slab of Pink Himalayan, try broiling fish or baking bread on it in the oven. Soooo good! And all you do is wipe it clean when you're finished, and you can keep using it for months. It's also good to serve chocolate desserts on, or cheeses.
That is really cool, where would you find pink Himalayan salt slabs?
#10 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
Very interesting! Can you point me to what you read by any chance? I find the TJ sea salt not anywhere near salty enough.

The pink one is very pretty and I am drawn to it!. I will try it next time and let you know if it seems more salty to me than the TJ white sea salt.
I *think* I read it on the Cooking Traditional Foods forum (http://www.tfrecipes.com/forum/ ) but if I later remember another source I will edit to reflect that.

As for Trader Joe's Sea Salt - I presume you mean the white stuff in the large canister? We have used that in the past though I think it's a refined product... gotta go check my sources again...

#11 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM

I thought that Real Salt wasn't a very good source of trace minerals? I only bought it once because of this:

http://www.celticseasalt.com/Dr-Reco...-W280C549.aspx

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#12 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
I didn't necessarily find the salt itself to be stronger, but I did think that a *lot* more was released per grind. It dumped out a ton! Perhaps that was what you were experiencing?

that's an excellent point. I shall try a lighter hand, thank you!

#13 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmgal View Post
That is really cool, where would you find pink Himalayan salt slabs?
A grocery store here in Portland has them (Fred Meyer), and I've also seen them at fancy kitchen stores like Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma. Might also be available online. They'll set you back about $30 or $40, but they last for several months and are great to use as baking stones and serving platters.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page