peanuts/PB? green smoothies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the TF approach to peanut butter? We'd stocked up on lots of Skippy, which b/c of the rancid oils and sugar I *know* is bad. But is there a traditional way to prepare peanut butter? Soaking raw peanuts then roasting/grinding? I know Tropical Traditions sells a coconut oil PB or something but haven't looked into it.

And obviously green smoothies are not "traditional" but where might they fit in a TF diet? Is it true that you can get protein from lots of liquified greens?! I love the idea but it seems to good to be true (and I can't recall where I read/heard that).

Thanks

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#2 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM

I definately think green smoothies can have a place in a TF diet. Use all TF friendly items in your smoothies and it is a wonderful source of nutrients and raw food enzymes. Plus kids who don't like greens will usually take one which will get those good enzymes into them too. Not sure about protein. Greens have some in them but I am not sure a green smoothie would have enough in it to really get excited about. But I am no expert.

As far as I know the TF way to make nut butter would be like you said, to soak and dry raw nuts and then grind them up with some extra oil. Sounds like a lot of work to me so I use nut butters as a compromise food I am a bad girl.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#3 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM

I agree with the PP about green smoothies. I'm sure that 300 years ago they weren't making smoothies at all, given that there weren't any blenders around. However, IMO, smoothies are such a great way to pack in a lot of nutrition in a quick, easy meal, esp. if you have any picky eaters.

As far as PB, I don't have any quick ideas about it, as it's one of those things I am not going to give up. I just can't make everything from scratch, it simply isn't feasible for me. I do, however, buy an organic variety with no hydrogenated oils, no HFCS, etc. Just peanuts, salt, etc. If I could buy one that was TF-friendly, I probably would do that.
#4 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

ok - good new re: the green smoothies. Now I just want more data re: if they really can be a decent source of protein... something about all the amino acids in them??

Amanda, did you read that we were eating *Skippy*?!? lol That's beyond compromise. I think I'll consider it a pre-transition food. Meanwhile I'll research how I could really make my own PB. I like the idea. Now where would I find raw peanuts? I live in VA, and IIRC growing peanuts (any legume?) is good for the soil. Maybe I can grow some! Probably not, but maybe I can find a local source.

Thanks, ladies!

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#5 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM

I don't know about the green smoothies having protein (I think not much unless you add dairy to them), but I did read the other day that a TF diet should aim to have about 50% of your foods be raw. So I would think that a green smoothie would fit right in. Add some kefir and you get probiotics too!

Our food co-op has a machine that grinds nuts into nut butter and that is so convenient! Then you know you are really just getting peanuts in your peanut butter. Maybe there's something like that in a store near you?

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#6 of 6 Old 04-11-2010, 11:36 PM

It's really really difficult, maybe even impossible, to get raw peanuts. They are too easily contaminated with a specific fungus that's very poisonous (an aflatoxin) so most vendors won't sell them. That's why in RAW cuisine you'll never see peanut recipes - they make 'peanut butter' and 'Thai peanut sauce' and stuff with almonds and cashews.

Greens have ton of protein per unit weight, but of course they weigh *VERY* little, haha. To get a substantial amount of protein you'd need to juice like, 30 heads of kale (some RAW foodists do this, but you know, they're sorta crazy-like)

Green smoothies are great for you, but not as a source of protein.

cruelty-free, beastie-full!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page