April Primal/Paleo/Grain-free thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenSeeksBun View Post
Are there nutrients that I'll be missing that I should make an effort to get more of from other foods?
Nope. That's the beauty, and something many people have difficulty believing... grains, soy and corn do not contain anything that you can't get elsewhere. In general, if you eat a varied diet of different colored veggies you should be getting most of your vitamins, but that's true whether you eat grains or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
But when it comes between buying organic and running out of produce halfway through the week and buying some conventional and having enough...what would you choose?

I need some ideas on what to feed him to help him fill out again as the poor little guy looks so thin now He just finally got his appetite back on Thursday, but isn't up for eating full amounts yet but his tummy doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore. He is dairy and nut free, but can eat seeds and coconut. We are doing a SCD/GAPS type diet. He can't have raw eggs or ferments due to his immune status. TIA for any help
I suggest printing out the Dirty Dozen and Clean 13 lists and carrying them in your wallet. That'll tell you which items you always want to get organic, and which it doesn't matter so much. That should help with your budgeting.

As for your little - lots of protein and fat. My first instinct is eggs scrambled in plenty of CO. Also, plenty of good greens, again, preferably with plenty of healthy fats.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 11:12 PM

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bacon...avocado-salad/

My recipe was featured on MDA today--just wanted to share b/c I'm so proud/excited (esp about getting a FREE cookbook--woo hoo!) and I don't know many other folks who would be excited about it. But I figured you ladies would *get* my joy. Um, and it's reeeeeealllllly yummy--I totally recommend trying it!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 04-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post

My recipe was featured on MDA today--just wanted to share b/c I'm so proud/excited (esp about getting a FREE cookbook--woo hoo!) and I don't know many other folks who would be excited about it. But I figured you ladies would *get* my joy. Um, and it's reeeeeealllllly yummy--I totally recommend trying it!
YUM!! I am totally trying this!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:

I saw this today and thought "I can't wait to try this." Congrats!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 AM

that's cool fairy rae
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Very cool, Fairy Rae! Love the recipe, and love that you get a free cookbook...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That recipe looks yummy! And thanks again for a link over to MDA, I like just poking around reading his recipes and getting ideas.

So... I've struggled trying to get us grain-free and lower carb (not shooting for truly low yet), for, well, a while now. I think it's the busy nights, the end of the day when I'm tired and I didn't get something in the crockpot ahead of time.

What are your fallback meals, for when you need to get something thrown together fairly fast? We're gluten and dairy free, have been a couple years now--but some days, those busy/tired days, I rely on potatoes and/or rice or quinoa to fill us up, and that's just not working for DH, and I don't think it works for me either anymore.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 PM

One other sorta related question.... right now, most of my inspiration for meals, in terms of flavors and combinations of foods, is stir-fries (w/o soy, DS is intolerant), and then some thrown-together basic American/European-base meals, without any of the depth that real knowledge of any specific European cuisine would add.

And it's boring.

What flavors, what cuisines, do you use as inspiration? I need to figure out a way to include more veggies, more reliably and with more interesting flavor combinations, and raw is not our best choice now, for digestive reasons, so (raw) salads aren't a good fallback for us.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Roast chicken and veg, tacos (salad, rest of the family do use corn tortillas), coconut/meat curries (I put it over zucchini noodles, cauliflower, leftover cooked veg, some are excellent with sweet potato), "snack trays" with cubes of cheese, cooked leftover meat or organic hot dogs, boiled eggs, veggies and fruit slices.

These aren't just my fallback meals, I'm realizing as I write this, these are the basis of my cooking. lol

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Anyone want to get rid of a copy of Primal Blueprint? purty please?

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM

I am so not a cook - anyone want to share some good, easy curry recipes? TIA!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Millie, someone recently posted they would give their copy of the Primal Blueprint away for free here in the TF forums...search the archives, maybe it's still available??

And Millie, do you have any specific recipe recs for your curries? Sound fabulous! I love curries, and am always looking for awesome seasoning combinations...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 04-18-2010, 02:31 PM

KUDOS to fairyrae!!!!! Will have to try the recipe! And I am the lucky recipient of the Primal Blueprint that was offered FFS- will be happy to pass it on after I am done reading-

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:11 PM

I make Thai curries. Really simple - I buy Thai Kitchen curry paste (we prefer green) and their roasted chile paste (not really spicy), stir a bit of each into a can of coconut milk, pour that over browned meat and sauteed veg, let it simmer about 10 minutes and that's it. If I have thai basil (I keep it in the freezer), I'll toss a handful in at the end.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM

I've been doing some grain-free days, and I feel good on those days, but honestly...I feel like my digestion hasn't improved much. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm not consistent enough, but I just got some probiotics drinks called PHD to help me. The person hawking them said that it seems that kombucha doesn't stay long enough in the body to prouce a lasting effect.

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congratulations!!!

Can't wait to try it!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 PM

Celestialdreamer- Had some things to suggest for your boy: Rendering your own lard or tallow to fry things in or spead on toast, Pate (with Lard instead of butter), Raw date nut and coconut oil cookies made in the food processor, and maybe the sunflower brownies from NT.

witchygrrl- I find that probiotics and lots of veggies are needed to keep my digestion normal. I drink Kombucha, kefir and green smoothies almost daily.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 AM

Food for yesterday:
B- 3 fried eggs with thyme and smoked mozz
L- I don't recall, actually
D- lamb chops, hot crash potatoes, arugula salad with avo and oranges

Today:
B- egg loaf with sausage
L- mashed cauliflower with sausage and peas
D- Bacon mushroom double buffalo burger - this was DELISH!

For this week - I have 2 salad dressings made and in the fridge - the orange dressing left from last night and blue cheese left from tonight. I have lots of salad fixings, and leftover lamb. I have endive for dipping, and I'll be roasting a chicken tomorrow night to make my chicken parmesan walnut salad. So hopefully I'll be able to make it through the week.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
I've been doing some grain-free days, and I feel good on those days, but honestly...I feel like my digestion hasn't improved much. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm not consistent enough, but I just got some probiotics drinks called PHD to help me. The person hawking them said that it seems that kombucha doesn't stay long enough in the body to prouce a lasting effect.
My thoughts would be that perhaps you need to give it time or that it is a gluten issue and won't resolve unless it is 100% gone(contamination and all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
One other sorta related question.... right now, most of my inspiration for meals, in terms of flavors and combinations of foods, is stir-fries (w/o soy, DS is intolerant), and then some thrown-together basic American/European-base meals, without any of the depth that real knowledge of any specific European cuisine would add.

And it's boring.

What flavors, what cuisines, do you use as inspiration? I need to figure out a way to include more veggies, more reliably and with more interesting flavor combinations, and raw is not our best choice now, for digestive reasons, so (raw) salads aren't a good fallback for us.
I use all cuisine as an inspiration. Have you tried the coconut aminos for a soy replacement? I just got some and have been loving it. Veggies I am not great with- I usually plan meat or main dish and then throw in the veggis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
That recipe looks yummy! And thanks again for a link over to MDA, I like just poking around reading his recipes and getting ideas.

So... I've struggled trying to get us grain-free and lower carb (not shooting for truly low yet), for, well, a while now. I think it's the busy nights, the end of the day when I'm tired and I didn't get something in the crockpot ahead of time.

What are your fallback meals, for when you need to get something thrown together fairly fast? We're gluten and dairy free, have been a couple years now--but some days, those busy/tired days, I rely on potatoes and/or rice or quinoa to fill us up, and that's just not working for DH, and I don't think it works for me either anymore.
fallback for me is anything w/ groundmeat. After the baby was born it was a lot of bunless burgers and spaghetti soup- homemade sauce w/ meat and tons of chopped veggies- meatloaf, etc.

This is my 7 wk menu plan- as you can see I don't have veggies wrote in for a lot of it- CP- is crockpot365blogspot- EP- is elanaspantry and RC is recipe compilation I have.

Quote:
Sunday BBQ Ribs - coleslaw- potato salad- deviled eggs
Monday Cottage/Shephard's Pie(no crust)topped w/ potatoes
Tuesday Thai Almond Chicken-MDA-roasted asparagus and broccoli
Wednesday White Bean and Apple chili- CP- carrots-onion-?? veggies
Thursday Meatza and ZucCrust Pizza- roasted red peppers, olives, mushrooms and homemade sausage
Friday Salmon Leek Quiche w/ Herb Nut Flour Tart-EP
Saturday Thai Curry -CP- sweet pot- peas

Sunday Shredded BBQ w/ Baked Beans and Salad-
Monday Spaghetti Soup- mushrooms-peppers-zuc-onions
Tuesday Chipolte Orange Chicken-EP
Wednesday Honeybaked Lentils
Thursday Carne Asada Steak, Pico and Guac
Friday Curried Fish Soup
Saturday - Brown Sugar Chicken-CP

Sunday Korean Ribs
Monday Sloppy Joes- Mashed Potato-Green Beans
Tuesday BBQ Chicken
Wednesday Refried Bean Soup
Thursday Thai Peanut Chicken
Friday Fish Sticks- homemade french fries and slaw
Saturday Chipolte Chicken and Sweet Potatoes-CP

Sunday Beef Roast and root veggies
Monday Meatloaf- Potatoes/ Scalloped Potatoes- green beans
Tuesday Hungarian Chicken w/ Sweet Potatoes- Black Beans and Salad
Wednesday Curried Lentils
Thursday Herbcoated Lamb Chops
Friday Coconut Shrimp-
Saturday Aoreazan Spiced Beef Stew- CP

Sunday Coconut Beef -CP
Monday Meatballs- served over veggie noodles- zuc- carrot- cabbage
Tuesday Apple Rosemary chicken-EP
Wednesday Chili
Thursday Pepper and Maple Salmon
Friday Cheesy Pasta Bake(made w/ spa squash or veggie noodles and pine nut "cheese")
Saturday Vietnamese Roast Chicken-CP

Sunday Curried Beef Stew
Monday Italian Chili (RC)
Tuesday Roast Chicken
Wednesday Mexican Black Bean Soup
Thursday Gyros(served as a big salad w/ coco yogurt tzaziki) and sauteed peppers and onions
Friday Chipotle Lime Salmon-
Saturday Beef Brisket-CP

Sunday Madras Lamb
Monday Hamburgers- homemade fries and a big helping of sauteed mushrooms and onions
Tuesday White Bean Chicken Chili
Wednesday Morracon Lentil Soup
Thursday Hoison Chicken Wings
Friday Fish Chowder
Saturday 40 Clove Garlic Chicken-CP

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM

fwiw my menu is not super low carb now as I am back to weight maintanence.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Your menu looks fantastic, and inspires me to make my own!

Re- Primal Blueprint copy- I think the one in FFS is taken but I will double check

Re- Curries. Super simple! I think it's worth it to learn basic cooking techniques and then be very free and exploratory in the kitchen. I never really make the same thing twice, I use whats on hand etc. Basic "recipe" though is this:

Melt coconut oil or butter or ghee or lard, etc (I usually use co for curries, because, yum.)

add a whole onion, several heads of garlic, and a knob of ginger, all chopped. Saute until soft but not not browned.

Add spices and toast in the fat- I always use curry, turmeric, cumin, sometimes garam masala or 5 spice powder, just depending, crushed red pepper, sea salt....

Add chopped meat (chicken thighs, ground beef, stew meat etc) and brown (sometimes I make a lentil or garbanzo bean curry, and these would go in as well)

Add canned chopped tomatoes (or fresh. I like to add chilis too, so I usually use rotel-esque tomatoes), also a can of coconut milk. If using any beans (or, in the past, rice, or still for my kids, rice) I add bone broth as well.

Cook for 30-45 minutes until thick and all flavors married. I also add red chili paste, but I add this with the liquids and not the toasting, or my eyes water!

Serve over spiced cauliflower (I saute in co with turmeric, salt and garlic powder), or sauteed greens, zucchini, oven fried sweet potato, etc.

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Not exactly a paleo-er here, I'm having a hard time staying atop of budget and family preferences. But I was wondering, do any of you make things like high-carb sides for your kids. Esp if say you've got a 10 year old very active boy-child who can eat at least 3 cups of rice in one dinner?

signature currently in transition
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm just joining you. I love all of the recipes/ideas!

My doctor has me pretty much eating veggies and meat only (no sugars, no fruit, no grain, no starchy veggies, no dairy, and currently no eggs). I find the main primal part to be easy, but leaving out dairy and eggs is hard...thankfully, I think that part is temporary while I heal a few things. Anyway, I was feeling kinda down about all that I *couldn't* eat so it's great to be on here and see so many options that work for me

Breakfast this morning was yummy so I'll share:
local, pastured bulk pork sausage
1/3 white onion, in 1/2" thick half rings
two handfuls cremini mushrooms, cut in half
1/2 avocado, diced

I used my cast iron pan and cooked the sausage, onions, and mushrooms. Once it was all browned, I plated it and mixed in the diced avocado...YUM

I just ordered Cuisine for Whole Health: Recipes for a Sustainable Life which is supposed to have a lot of primal recipes.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM

welcome Feb2003! Will have to check out that book!

just a note I am going back to clean up the menu I posted w/ some clarification on some of the dishes that are not obviously grain free.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
I've been doing some grain-free days, and I feel good on those days, but honestly...I feel like my digestion hasn't improved much. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm not consistent enough, but I just got some probiotics drinks called PHD to help me.
Personally, I really don't see the improvement until I've been consistent for about 3-4 days. And a day or two of grains will set me back nearly to the beginning.

But like a pp mentioned - if the problem isn't grains but gluten, it can take weeks to clear out of your system, and even then you may have cross-contamination issues that can continue to cause problems.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Does anyone else have a history of hypertension? I'm wondering about other experiences with that in regards to being paleo. I had issues for a few years but got it to come down being raw vegan. Now tweaking things towards paleo my BP is right back up to hypertensive. I'm not sure what I need to tweak to help that. I am extremely sensitive to salt so I don't add anything to my food or buy salted butter. I don't eat lunch meats either.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
Does anyone else have a history of hypertension? I'm wondering about other experiences with that in regards to being paleo. I had issues for a few years but got it to come down being raw vegan. Now tweaking things towards paleo my BP is right back up to hypertensive. I'm not sure what I need to tweak to help that. I am extremely sensitive to salt so I don't add anything to my food or buy salted butter. I don't eat lunch meats either.
The link between salt and hypertension is in fact questionable. I believe I've read that it's more likely to be linked to a deficiency in... zinc? or was it magnesium? Anyway - I'd suggest reading up on mineral deficiencies and see if you can make a difference that way.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
The link between salt and hypertension is in fact questionable. I believe I've read that it's more likely to be linked to a deficiency in... zinc? or was it magnesium? Anyway - I'd suggest reading up on mineral deficiencies and see if you can make a difference that way.
For DH, it's mag, if we supplement 2x/day (1x/day didn't do anything) his BP comes down. I'm wondering if the amount of mag he needs will come down in a few months, once we've got the new way of eating into a nice routine, he's losing weight, like that--not necessarily directly due to the weight, so much as reducing inflammation, I think the mag is involved there. Best guess at this point, anyway, but I know the mag works for him, and I think it'll help avoid type 2 diabetes, which runs in his family.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Not exactly a paleo-er here, I'm having a hard time staying atop of budget and family preferences. But I was wondering, do any of you make things like high-carb sides for your kids. Esp if say you've got a 10 year old very active boy-child who can eat at least 3 cups of rice in one dinner?
I don't tend to make high carb sides for the kids. Instead I make tons of veggies with lots of fat as a side. I do serve them sweet potatos on occasion and coconut flour waffles and coconut flour muffins.

They eat a lot of fruit too, which I think gives them most of the carbs they need.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
I make higher carb stuff for my dc's sometimes. They eat mostly fruit, but occasionally rice, oats, etc. My ds is naturally primal, he loves to eat meat in any form. Dd loves meat, but she also loves noodles, and rice. She is a bit more of a carb addict. We try to limit it to some extent.

User Tag List