April Primal/Paleo/Grain-free thread! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 AM
 
425lisamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the rain
Posts: 5,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I make higher carb stuff for my dc's sometimes. They eat mostly fruit, but occasionally rice, oats, etc. My ds is naturally primal, he loves to eat meat in any form. Dd loves meat, but she also loves noodles, and rice. She is a bit more of a carb addict. We try to limit it to some extent.
Thta's the same for us. Not that i think they are so good for you, just makes kids eat better over all (for us.) Like tonight I made 2 different sauces, and tossed them both with pasta. But they are eating chicken, LOADS of broccoli, pureed caulifower in the cream sauce. DH I make a chicken, sun dried tomato garlicky cream sauce. And raspberries, they could eat pounds of them, but they are so dang spendy!
425lisamarie is offline  
#92 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 AM
 
sarah_bella1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I make higher carb stuff for my dc's sometimes. They eat mostly fruit, but occasionally rice, oats, etc. My ds is naturally primal, he loves to eat meat in any form. Dd loves meat, but she also loves noodles, and rice. She is a bit more of a carb addict. We try to limit it to some extent.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
sarah_bella1050 is offline  
#93 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 AM
 
geekgolightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on top of a very lovely mountain
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
today was day 3. i felt crappy all day and didnt cook.

bagged salad with grated romano, balsamic and olive oil
4 eggs
a ton of almonds.

i need to eat better for sure.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
geekgolightly is offline  
#94 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I make higher carb stuff for my dc's sometimes. They eat mostly fruit, but occasionally rice, oats, etc. My ds is naturally primal, he loves to eat meat in any form. Dd loves meat, but she also loves noodles, and rice. She is a bit more of a carb addict. We try to limit it to some extent.
That is totally our family as well. I was pretty strict about no grains for them either for a while, but have loosened some. They love oats so I make the gf ones maybe once a week. I try to keep the gf pasta to very rare and rice sometimes. Dd is definitely more of a carb addict than ds.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#95 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the curry ideas folks! I made a fabulous veggie curry for lunch yesterday w/ a bunch of random stuff...it was SOOOOOOOOO good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Dd is definitely more of a carb addict than ds.
It's interesting to me that multiple folks have mentioned daughters being more carb-loving than sons. Not sure there is any correlation/reason, but I am continually wondering about the carb content of paleo women's diets vs paleo men's (I'm thinking w/ all that gathering that women were bound to be doing, they were getting some more carbs, on average, than men.) I KNOW we can flourish on a wide range of macronutrients, but I continually wonder about the physiological differences based on sex...

Just so interesting to me!!

As far as carbs and kids, ds still eats rice made w/ bone broth, once in a while gf oats at grandma's, rice pasta maybe 2x a month, etc. It's far less than it was, and always gluten free. I do a lot of baking w/ coconut flour for cookies/cake/muffins etc when he wants them. He definitely loves his dried fruit as well and has some probably every other day, and eats lots of fruit, loves potatoes. But he also eats tons of meat, fat, and veggies. And lots of fermented goodies...A FAR more 'balanced' and nutrient rich diet than I ever had as a child (or adult!) pre-tf... I'd say he's mostly grain free--he may eat grains (mostly rice) 2-3 x a week. I think it also has to do w/ dh who is NOT grain free. When he is eating something grainy around ds, it makes him want to have it as well.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#96 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
today was day 3. i felt crappy all day and didnt cook.
This is pretty normal. Which is why I always recommend meal planning before embarking on this adventure. It's the detox flu, and it can last from a couple days up to a week.

Yesterday was pretty good, even considering I was dealing with a very sick little boy.
B- 1 slice of bacon, 2 eggs w/cheese, cottage cheese w/blueberries
L- large salad with mortadella, salami, cheese, and every veggie in the drawer
D- Roast chicken (leg quarter & wing), roast butternut

And I even got in about an hour of walking, since he wouldn't sleep until I put him on my back and got out of the house. Today it's raining though.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
#97 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
 
sarah_bella1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
today was day 3. i felt crappy all day and didnt cook.

bagged salad with grated romano, balsamic and olive oil
4 eggs
a ton of almonds.

i need to eat better for sure.
This really sucks, I have been there. My advice would be to drink a ton of water to help with the detox you might be going through. At fat, fat, and fat. Put virgin coconut oil in your tea and make sure you are having a good dose of butter. I have found that eating coconut oil helps my appetite and my energy levels.



I have a question for everybody, how active are you? I have been really pretty active since starting this grain free journey. I feel as though I have more energy and have been feeling as though I NEED to work out at least 5 days a week. Is this true for everyone else?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
sarah_bella1050 is offline  
#98 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
 
geekgolightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on top of a very lovely mountain
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for the ideas! i really appreciate everyone in this thread talking about their experiences and recipes and such. it really helps with the motivation.

day 4
shredded pork with some alfredo
cantaloupe

a few cashews and macadamias
a few raisins
2 ounces irish cheddar cheese
assortment of olives

a bowl of balsamic pot roast

i'm really full. i kept expecting to want to eat and eat, like normal, but didnt. totally thought i would eat a huge salad tonight. maybe i will later.

i am not carb free, but im free from all grains and sugar/honey/maple syrup etc etc.

ETA tomorrow i am making that bacon avacado chicken salad from mark's daily apple. i;m also thinking of cooking up some of his coconut encrusted chicken. has anyone tried it?

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
geekgolightly is offline  
#99 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
 
KathleenSLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post

a bowl of balsamic pot roast
Would you post/link to the recipe? Thanks!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
KathleenSLP is offline  
#100 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM
 
geekgolightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on top of a very lovely mountain
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenSLP View Post
Would you post/link to the recipe? Thanks!
absolutely.

the only change i made was after the roast was finished, i had quite a bit of thin sauce, so i reduced it on the stove until thicker. it was super yummy, but would have been better had i not used the cheap balsamic.

also, she is going south beach, which im not interested in. i didnt cut up excess fat or drain it from the sauce after.

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...-crockpot.html

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
geekgolightly is offline  
#101 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
 
KathleenSLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
Thanks!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
KathleenSLP is offline  
#102 of 177 Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 PM
 
sarah_bella1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my, I made some rockin' aldfredo sauce tonight. I used a cube of butter and melted that in a saucepan and added about a tsp of minced garlic and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Then I added 3 Tbsp of Arrowroot powder and some goats milk. I kept adding goats milk and letting it thicken. Then I added some salt and Garlic and Herb and chicken from the stock I am making. I had it over broccoli in complete honesty just a smidge of quinoa and corn noodles. I didn't have cheese so I poured some nutritional yeast on top. It was the best aldredo I have ever made! Next time I will have it over a ton of broccoli instead, I just really wanted to try out those gluten free noodles.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
sarah_bella1050 is offline  
#103 of 177 Old 04-21-2010, 12:24 AM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
i;m also thinking of cooking up some of his coconut encrusted chicken. has anyone tried it?
I haven't tried that particular recipe, but I do something very similar to make coconut shrimp (without the almond flour).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
#104 of 177 Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 AM
 
ryleigh'smama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
This really sucks, I have been there. My advice would be to drink a ton of water to help with the detox you might be going through. At fat, fat, and fat. Put virgin coconut oil in your tea and make sure you are having a good dose of butter. I have found that eating coconut oil helps my appetite and my energy levels.



I have a question for everybody, how active are you? I have been really pretty active since starting this grain free journey. I feel as though I have more energy and have been feeling as though I NEED to work out at least 5 days a week. Is this true for everyone else?


I went through about a 5 day "fog" while cutting carbs down this time. I have been grain free for quite some time, but I had been having a period of more fruit, and other higher carb food now...but yeah 5 days.

Sarah- I am super active. I don't know if it is because I am grain free, or just because I am used to it and I don't feel right if I'm not active. I was active before I was grain free. I feel better grain free though...so I guess that does make me want to be more active. I am so glad that you are feeling so great!
ryleigh'smama is offline  
#105 of 177 Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to have to try the salad as well- that looks delicious!!

Oh, and on MDA there is a recipe for Thai Almond Pork- I believe on page 2 or 3 of the recipe forum I made it yesterday for super- supper yummy!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#106 of 177 Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a lot more active now, and feel the need for physical activity (this urge I don't recall feeling so much in the past ) when I'm not working out regularly. I do quick, intense (tabata style--16 min and I'm done) bodyweight workouts 2x a week, plus vinyasa flow yoga 3x a week, and I've added in sprints as well. But I feel like I'm really just way more active in general--a lot of running around the yard, taking walks w/ dh and ds, just feeling like jumping and running and moving a lot more.

Just want to add, I've NEVER worked out in my life. Used to force myself to do aerobics when I was a lot younger, but have always HATED any kind of working out. I have loved yoga for years, but I'm now really really enjoying this bodyweight stuff as well. (I think part of it is that my workouts are fast and efficient--I like getting the most bang for my buck!) I feel like I'm getting stronger all the time and it just feels really really good to me!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#107 of 177 Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
 
geekgolightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on top of a very lovely mountain
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made the MDA chicken bacon avacado salad and it is truly spectacular. the dressing is killer. a pain to make, but so so so good.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
geekgolightly is offline  
#108 of 177 Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 PM
 
geekgolightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on top of a very lovely mountain
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
today was easier. im still weirdly tired in the evening. my muscles are achy and i just want to drop asleep. i was also able to cook something nice.

i put everything in fitday and WOW macadamias are loads of calories for a little bit of food. if i had just not eaten that handful, my calories would be reasonable. 300 calories for a handful!

still, i'm just trying to get through this so that it can become a daily natural part of my life. i still had cravings. the triggers were bothersome. i have been addicted to carbs for a very very long time and my relationship with carbs needs to end.

today i had
almost two servings of the bacon chicken avacado salad
cup of cottage cheese with 2/3 cup pineapple
cup of pot roast
macadamia nuts

i thought it was a pretty well rounded eating day, but according to fitday, i am missing at least half my calcium, most vit E, all of vit D (i take a supplement tho), and a bit of potassium.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
geekgolightly is offline  
#109 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 AM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
I made the MDA chicken bacon avacado salad and it is truly spectacular. the dressing is killer. a pain to make, but so so so good.
Yay!!! So glad it came out well for you!

My sister is getting married Friday and she requested I make that salad for our get-ready-for-the-wedding lunch. I was feeling lazy like I didn't want to do it that day (I'm always told by EVERYONE that I constantly smell like food b/c all I do is cook --I was hoping *not* to smell like bacon cooking for one day ), but now maybe I will make it anyway--it is yummy!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#110 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 AM
 
sarah_bella1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
today was easier. im still weirdly tired in the evening. my muscles are achy and i just want to drop asleep. i was also able to cook something nice.

i put everything in fitday and WOW macadamias are loads of calories for a little bit of food. if i had just not eaten that handful, my calories would be reasonable. 300 calories for a handful!

still, i'm just trying to get through this so that it can become a daily natural part of my life. i still had cravings. the triggers were bothersome. i have been addicted to carbs for a very very long time and my relationship with carbs needs to end.

today i had
almost two servings of the bacon chicken avacado salad
cup of cottage cheese with 2/3 cup pineapple
cup of pot roast
macadamia nuts

i thought it was a pretty well rounded eating day, but according to fitday, i am missing at least half my calcium, most vit E, all of vit D (i take a supplement tho), and a bit of potassium.
I eat nuts as emergency foods usually, like if I am hungry and about to grab some chips or something. I wouldn't worry so much about calories, you will consume more calories going this route, but you still lose weight. Have you tried dips like hummus or pate? With veggies they are awesome protein snacks. Also are you taking Cod liver oil?


This thread is so great, I don't think I have ever been a part of a more helpful thread. It's so nice not to be on this journey alone, thanks guys!

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
sarah_bella1050 is offline  
#111 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
 
OvenSeeksBun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm totally loving this thread as well!! I've been grain free all week, and not even missing them - which is weird. I've been reading MDA, and I've started the book "Real Food: What to Eat and Why" by Nina Planck. It's really good!
Primal Blueprint is waiting for me at the library, I'll be reading that next.

I just want to find a healthy diet that works!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif
 
 
OvenSeeksBun is offline  
#112 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
 
425lisamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the rain
Posts: 5,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been kinda doing smorgasborg type dinners

Lately the kids have been writting on the dinner board themselves. Well mostly my 5.5 year old but he helps his little sister

I have this black "white" board that uses those neon permanent markers in the kitchen and I write out the menu for the day the night before so that everyone knows, and it makes them excited for dinner and to eat. i actually write out the whole day with a Break/lunch/snack with like several options basically of things i have ready or am willing to make last minute and they can pick from. They have been writting dinner and it's funny. last night we ate at my parents but before that it said: Chicken weangs, rasburries (i can't believe he spelled this so close, my husband says it with an accent so you can't blame him for the "u" LOL) broccoli, salad, egg boats (deviled eggs), a picher of watter. He's almost 6 and spells better than half the adults i know LOL!

It's kinda fun if anyone has kids who like to help with meal planning and it also helps with the writting in an organized fashion. i'm letting them do it by themselves this week because I dnto' have a plan really, but next week i'll help a bit more. I'll sometimes tell them I can make part of what they wrote or something if I don't have everything, or i'll fill in the parts i already have planned. It's so cute!

I made a ton of fruit, egg and flax bars for myself enough to last a whole week. I have been eating vat sized salads and that avacado one looks great but i can't do bacon . I LOVE avacados in salad though. Usually I used some salmon or kipper snacks and load it up with a couple pounds of chopped raw veggies and greens and a handful of pinenus or pumpkin seeds.

I've been drinking too much coffee lately, I need to start with the green tea habit again

My focus is really no grains, I don't really worry about carbs. I eat zero sugar in any form, I limit the sweets for kids and mainly it's homemade ice cream or pudding/custard or something. Or TRUFFLES, MMMmmmmm
425lisamarie is offline  
#113 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 PM
 
celestialdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just stopping in to say hi. :

I spent Monday through Wed afternoon at the local children's hospital with our 4 month old He started getting sick with the same stomach bug as the rest of the family on Sat am and we ended up taking him in for fluids + meds on Sat night. He was doing okay, but then by Monday he was dehydrated and moaning with his eyes closed. It was SO scary at how quickly he got dehydrated. I used to be a ped nurse so its not like we weren't paying attention, he just couldn't keep up with his fluids.

DH and I stayed there the whole time with with him (DH had to sleep on the floor, ugh) and did our best with some snack foods from home for ourselves. We did eat breakfast in the cafeteria (omelettes and *ACK* soy lattes) and made ourselves sick because of it. I literally woke up in the middle of the night on Monday night feeling like I was going to vomit suddenly and it definitely was NOT illness related. We barely slept both nights because they insisted that DS had to sleep in the crib if we went to sleep and he only wanted to sleep on us. UGH.

It was totally miserable and I feel like my head is in a total fog despite eating some good food last night and this morning and getting a good nights sleep. I ended up drinking a small amount of a Sprite that night that I felt like I was going to be sick and I know that just totally messed me up because we've been on GAPS/SCD for months. I figured it was a better option than vomiting though I'm going to really try to focus on just making sure that the whole family is resting and eating well and forget about the housework for the next few days. After 3 weeks now (!!!) of this rotating through our family I think we need to work hard on nutrition and probiotics. I can't believe how terrible just a small amount of low quality foods (that were still grain free) made us feel.

In good news, the baby is feeling much better. We are just still working on getting him to regain his appetite for nursing, so I'm doing some pumping too. I'm soooo glad we are home.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

celestialdreamer is offline  
#114 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I've been kinda doing smorgasborg type dinners

Lately the kids have been writting on the dinner board themselves. Well mostly my 5.5 year old but he helps his little sister

I have this black "white" board that uses those neon permanent markers in the kitchen and I write out the menu for the day the night before so that everyone knows, and it makes them excited for dinner and to eat. i actually write out the whole day with a Break/lunch/snack with like several options basically of things i have ready or am willing to make last minute and they can pick from. They have been writting dinner and it's funny. last night we ate at my parents but before that it said: Chicken weangs, rasburries (i can't believe he spelled this so close, my husband says it with an accent so you can't blame him for the "u" LOL) broccoli, salad, egg boats (deviled eggs), a picher of watter. He's almost 6 and spells better than half the adults i know LOL!

It's kinda fun if anyone has kids who like to help with meal planning and it also helps with the writting in an organized fashion. i'm letting them do it by themselves this week because I dnto' have a plan really, but next week i'll help a bit more. I'll sometimes tell them I can make part of what they wrote or something if I don't have everything, or i'll fill in the parts i already have planned. It's so cute!

I made a ton of fruit, egg and flax bars for myself enough to last a whole week. I have been eating vat sized salads and that avacado one looks great but i can't do bacon . I LOVE avacados in salad though. Usually I used some salmon or kipper snacks and load it up with a couple pounds of chopped raw veggies and greens and a handful of pinenus or pumpkin seeds.

I've been drinking too much coffee lately, I need to start with the green tea habit again

My focus is really no grains, I don't really worry about carbs. I eat zero sugar in any form, I limit the sweets for kids and mainly it's homemade ice cream or pudding/custard or something. Or TRUFFLES, MMMmmmmm
OMG your kids are SO cute!!! I think posting your intended menu is a great idea and intend to adopt it when the boys a bit older!

Once I'm maintaining my weight, I intend to be less carb obsessive, and just continue to eat clean, like you.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#115 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree Lisa your son sounds adorable!!!!

celestialdreamer (hugs)!!!! my baby ended up in the hospital at 2 months for pneumonia it was a hard experience to be sure so I have great sympathy!!!! glad your lo is doing better hopefully it is a speedy recovery for all.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#116 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lisa, I NEED to do that, for ME, and for dh, who has now been gluten free for 5 days!!! And he's sticking to it!!! (I really think he has celiacs, or is at least HIGHLY gluten sensitive. The fact that he is actually sticking to it this time--after talking about going gf and not doing it for almost 2 years now--is AMAZING and I'm so proud of him and excited. Now I've got to get organized so that he always has good, filling meals to eat as well. (Sometimes I'm really lazy and ds and I will just snack on whatever on nights dh eats out/orders pizza etc, but this whole snacking for dinner does not work for dh--he MUST have a full meal, at least at dinner time. He does NOT snack.)

Anyway, I LOVE that idea, and am thinking to adapt it by drawing pictures so my 3 yo can participate in making the choices, etc. What a great idea! I find planning my meals in advance just feels easier in the long run, but I haven't done it in a bit--you've inspired me--this could be really helpful for us!

Hope everyone is feeling healthy and good now!!! I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having celestial dreamer and hope everything gets easier soon!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#117 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
 
alireb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies - I'd love to join in. I've been primal for a month or two now and actually trying to lose a few pounds I gained while eating mostly vegetarian/vegan. I love MDA and I have a bunch of blogs bookmarked on my reader. Of course I haven't had time to read them this week!

Anyways, we keep it pretty simple with dinners around here since my 2 year old DS is a nut while I'm prepping dinner. I actually meal planned this week which was the first in a month or so since I was burnt out from it. Breakfast is normally eggs in coconut oil, and chicken sausage. Lunch is big salad with chicken or salmon, ton of veggies, few walnuts and some olives. Dinner is meat (beef, lamb, chicken, or salmon) with green veggie and another veggie or salad. I've been steering clear of most fruit (will have occasional strawberries) and dairy (especially since I was binging on cream a bit ago).

Tonight we had 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken and Lemon Thyme Green Beans - yum! Started both on the stove in cast iron and then moved to oven so it was an easy dinner to make. We'll have the leftovers tomorrow night with another veggie.
alireb is offline  
#118 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think meal planning is a must to successfully change your lifestyle. It really helps you to not grab at some comfort/easy unhealthy food. Also having grain free snacks that you can grab when starving or exhausted is a big help.

Make a huge thing of hardboiled eggs and keep them in the fridge. Great grab and go snack, or with 5 min, delicious devilled eggs, nice in salads or make egg salad for lettuce wraps or nori.

Cold cooked chicken or turkey or shrimp etc. for throw together in minutes meals.

nuts for snacking.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#119 of 177 Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
 
ryleigh'smama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Just stopping in to say hi. :

I spent Monday through Wed afternoon at the local children's hospital with our 4 month old He started getting sick with the same stomach bug as the rest of the family on Sat am and we ended up taking him in for fluids + meds on Sat night. He was doing okay, but then by Monday he was dehydrated and moaning with his eyes closed. It was SO scary at how quickly he got dehydrated. I used to be a ped nurse so its not like we weren't paying attention, he just couldn't keep up with his fluids.

DH and I stayed there the whole time with with him (DH had to sleep on the floor, ugh) and did our best with some snack foods from home for ourselves. We did eat breakfast in the cafeteria (omelettes and *ACK* soy lattes) and made ourselves sick because of it. I literally woke up in the middle of the night on Monday night feeling like I was going to vomit suddenly and it definitely was NOT illness related. We barely slept both nights because they insisted that DS had to sleep in the crib if we went to sleep and he only wanted to sleep on us. UGH.

It was totally miserable and I feel like my head is in a total fog despite eating some good food last night and this morning and getting a good nights sleep. I ended up drinking a small amount of a Sprite that night that I felt like I was going to be sick and I know that just totally messed me up because we've been on GAPS/SCD for months. I figured it was a better option than vomiting though I'm going to really try to focus on just making sure that the whole family is resting and eating well and forget about the housework for the next few days. After 3 weeks now (!!!) of this rotating through our family I think we need to work hard on nutrition and probiotics. I can't believe how terrible just a small amount of low quality foods (that were still grain free) made us feel.

In good news, the baby is feeling much better. We are just still working on getting him to regain his appetite for nursing, so I'm doing some pumping too. I'm soooo glad we are home.
That is really rough mama. I hope you all get back to normal quickly!

I love the menu idea Lisa! I want to do that here, my kids would love it. Your kids are adorable. How sweet of your ds to write things for your daughter too!

I have been craving seafood for awhile now. Lots of veggies and lots of fish, shrimp, etc. Mostly in salads. I love salads!
ryleigh'smama is offline  
#120 of 177 Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lauren that is sooooo exciting about your dh going gf- I have only been able to get dh to do that in spurts.

We had meatza here last night- yummy and easy! Tonight I am making salmon tart thingy from Elanas pantry. It is sooooo much easier having a menu plan- I need a big board now like Lisa!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off