April Primal/Paleo/Grain-free thread! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 177 Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FairyRae thanks for the list. i appreciate it.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#152 of 177 Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've taken the plunge into Primal From all that I read on MDA so far, I really like it. Its a bit harder for me atm since I can't run out and buy some of the stuff needed (mainly vegetables and grass-fed meat) I need some good frugal recipes with what I have so far. Oddly I'm having a hard time getting enough fat I managed to get up to 50% yesterday, hoping to hit closer to 70% today. Guess I'm going to need to start adding a tbsp of coconut oil to my coffee again.
I do have dessert lined up though: coconut bark
I'm telling ya though, the whole thing has me literally

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#153 of 177 Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Well I am really feeling great! And it can only be down to food because I have been awake since just before 5am and not once did I feel down or grumpy or lacking in motivation today (which I normally definitely would!)!

On the menu today was:

Breakfast-two almond meal, cheese and herb muffins with butter and decaf coffee with a little milk.

Lunch-Roasted chicken leg quarter and rocket, spinach, watercress salad with caesar dressing. Another coffee with cream this time.

Dinner-small baked potato with lots of garlic butter, cheese and homemade coleslaw with mayo.

Snack-couple of chunks of camembert & dessert spoonful of greek yoghurt.

Hope everyone else is doing well....look forward to hearing your updates and what you are eating!
#154 of 177 Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM

I fell off the grain free wagon when I kicked my husband out on March 13, but this week I'm feeling like I can do it again. So I'm back

Tuesday I had:
- soaked and roasted cashews, a small piece of raw cheese and a huge glass of raw milk for breakfast
- Salad for lunch - mostly romaine lettuce but also some tomato, a bit of avocado and sunflower seeds, along with home made dressing
- Dinner was halibut cooked in CO with a bit of lemon pepper on it, and a big pile of boiled frozen peas with a dollop of butter on them. And raw milk.
- Throughout the day I always drink green tea first thing in the morning, decaf coffee at work along with glasses of water, a glass of kombucha in the evening, and maybe another cup of green tea too.

Yesterday it was:
- home made mini quiche for breakfast (eggs, mozza cheese, chopped onion, chopped red pepper, frozen spinach, hot sauce)
- raw cheese for a snack
- salad again for lunch plus raw milk
- grass fed beef liver for supper cooked in bacon fat, along with sliced onions also cooked in bacon fat, chopped sweet potato cooked in pastured lard, and boiled frozen veggies (one of those packages, Oriental or something)
- a small handful of roasted chickpeas for a late night snack (I know, not primal, but I'm mainly grain free). I roast them in Mary's Oil Blend from the Eat Fat Lose Fat book, sprinkled with cayenne and cumin. They are SO unbelievable good!

Today so far:
- mini quiche cup for breakfast (I made 18 and will probably have one every weekday morning till they're gone!)
- leftovers from last nights supper for lunch plus a big glass of raw milk
- handful of cashews

I am assuming frozen veggies from the grocery store, while not ideal, are OK?
#155 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM

So, my sister is on her honeymoon in Jamaica! Anyway, I've gotten more than one email from her about how amazing the food is there. I'm dying to try it, and actually bought a cajun spice blend and made the cajun BBQ sauce from the Garden of Eating book. I'd love to try other recipes that are Caribbean/Jamaican/etc. Any recipes to share ladies? Your curry ideas have been fabulous (I've made curries multiple times after in the past couple weeks--sooooo yummy) and I figure you all may have some ideas for this...

Also, Lisa, I've been doing the whiteboard, menu for the next day thing, and it has been AMAZING! I've been making everything I write about, eating only those things on the board, and actually been far more inspired and motivated to try new recipes, which has been awesome! Dh and ds are loving it too!

Did I mention my dh is now gluten and dairy free, and mostly primal (except for a couple servings of rice and hummus a week)? He was just diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia (horrid--he's only 32, but I'm hoping diet changes will help a lot) so he's been really inspired to stick w/ it. I'm in awe of his dedication, and thrilled we are all eating the same foods now! Woo hoo!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#156 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
I am assuming frozen veggies from the grocery store, while not ideal, are OK?
I think they are fine. Of course, fresh is better (I just think it tastes better personally), but to go w/ our cajun bbq chicken tonight I made coconut/mango/lime riced cauli, using a bag of frozen cauliflower. It was just so-so, but not b/c of the cauli--I think it was my recipe. (Maybe I just didn't like the flavor combination. ) But I don't see a problem w/ frozen foods personally!

I traditional foods
#157 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
So, my sister is on her honeymoon in Jamaica! Anyway, I've gotten more than one email from her about how amazing the food is there. I'm dying to try it, and actually bought a cajun spice blend and made the cajun BBQ sauce from the Garden of Eating book. I'd love to try other recipes that are Caribbean/Jamaican/etc. Any recipes to share ladies? Your curry ideas have been fabulous (I've made curries multiple times after in the past couple weeks--sooooo yummy) and I figure you all may have some ideas for this...

Also, Lisa, I've been doing the whiteboard, menu for the next day thing, and it has been AMAZING! I've been making everything I write about, eating only those things on the board, and actually been far more inspired and motivated to try new recipes, which has been awesome! Dh and ds are loving it too!

Did I mention my dh is now gluten and dairy free, and mostly primal (except for a couple servings of rice and hummus a week)? He was just diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia (horrid--he's only 32, but I'm hoping diet changes will help a lot) so he's been really inspired to stick w/ it. I'm in awe of his dedication, and thrilled we are all eating the same foods now! Woo hoo!
SWEET! You know the other thing it helps with....keepin me on my toes . They usually are very much attached to whatever they have written on the board and i cannot get lazy and dissapoint....I mean unless something strange happens and I can't make something.

I am addicted to salad with lemon dressing. I have to stop eating so many raw veggies! I love em but the down side is the bloating after i've eaten my weight
#158 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 10:16 AM

If you find a good jerk chicken recipe let me know, ok?

This is something my son and I are making tonight:

Fish and Coconut Soup

1/2 onion
clove garlic
3/4" piece of ginger
a few tilapia fish fillets chopped
1 T CO
1 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp chili powder
14 oz coconut milk
1T lemon juice

oil in skillet add onion garlic and spices and fry for 5 minutes
add coconut milk and bring to boil
add fish and lemon juice and simmer for ten minutes ro so, until fish is cooked

it sounds good. ill let you know how it turns out.

#159 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM

New to the thread, thought I'd say howdy, after lurking for a bit over a week. I am GF & CF.

Had a "normal" chocolate chip cookie last night, OMG! I soooo regret it. Woke at three feeling awful and am very grateful the office is realitively empty because I can't stop burbing still over 12 hours after cookie. Excellent reminder that I shouldn't cheat.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#160 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I lost 4 lbs!!! Yay!!!

I have some really nice jerk recipes, I'll dig them up tonight!

Today I have to write a biology midterm, so dh and I will eat at the little german deli in town. Mmmmmmmmmmm! Fresh local well prepared MEAT!

Dinner is marinated bbq'd steak and BLT salad by request from my house guests!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#161 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

That's brilliant little_em!!

I've lost just over 3lbs this week and it feels great to be eating such yummy food and feeling so totally satisfied and still lose weight!

Hope you enjoyed your lunch and MMMMMMMM at your dinner!

Today I've had a kefir/strawberry smoothie for breakfast, leftover coleslaw, big chunk of camembert and some cucumber & tomatoes with olive oil for lunch, a cheesy almond flour muffin for a snack and pork with mushroom sauce (made with bone broth and creme fraiche) & sauteed cabbage then a slice of cake (made with almond flour and no sugar jam for sweetener) with no sugar blueberry jam and whipped cream for dinner.
#162 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
If you find a good jerk chicken recipe let me know, ok?

This is something my son and I are making tonight:

Fish and Coconut Soup

1/2 onion
clove garlic
3/4" piece of ginger
a few tilapia fish fillets chopped
1 T CO
1 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp chili powder
14 oz coconut milk
1T lemon juice

oil in skillet add onion garlic and spices and fry for 5 minutes
add coconut milk and bring to boil
add fish and lemon juice and simmer for ten minutes ro so, until fish is cooked

it sounds good. ill let you know how it turns out.
too spooky- that is on my menu for tonight! I will be adding some veggies as well- haven't decided what though. I made it a few weeks back and we were surprised by how much we liked it.

You guys should be jealous- I just bought a whole lamb= we had chops last night= oh, my goodness tooo yummy- we love lamb!!!!! It ended up being about $3 a pound final cost and it is local raised- no hormones- antibiotics etc, mostly grass raised but w/ a bit of grain for the winter.

Fasted this am here, first time in a while, nothing sounded good this morning and I wasn't really hungry. The lamb was very satisfying last night.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#163 of 177 Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Congrats to Lil-em and zenzero for the loses- that has got to feel great!!!

Welcome Indigo! I am gf/cf here as well- as well as soyfree. Have you tried Elana's choco chip cookies? They are made w/ almond flour- we love them here- so yummy!!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#164 of 177 Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzero View Post
Breakfast-two almond meal, cheese and herb muffins with butter and decaf coffee with a little milk.
Oooh, would you be willing to share the muffin recipe?
#165 of 177 Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 AM

Well, my little trip out of town did nothing good for me, diet-wise. I really need to not go see grandma until I get my eating under control. It kills me though that she's ragging on me about my weight after feeding me utter crap for dinner (it was already made when we got there, or else I would have suggested something else).

We had our dinner guest tonight, and dinner turned out very nicely. We had roast beef, hot crash potatoes, roasted veg (asparagus, carrots, brussel sprouts, leeks). And for dessert I made a pineapple "ice", fresh mango and strawberries. It was a perfect dessert - lovely and sweet and ice cold (it was nice and warm today), but not a speck of sugar anywhere. I added the strawberries as an afterthought, since the pineapple and mango alone were too monochromatic for me.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#166 of 177 Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
Oooh, would you be willing to share the muffin recipe?
Of course! It's basically this recipe but I use butter instead of grapeseed oil and obviously leave out the sweetener, vanilla and orange zest. Then I added a good handful or so of grated cheddar, some dried herbs, mustard powder and paprika.

Sorry, I'm not more precise on quantities but I tend to just throw things in! I have found it to be a very forgiving recipe though and have made loads of variations on it both sweet and savoury (have done banana & a lemony one and used no sugar jam as sweetener), just adding whatever I have or feel like....think I am going to try feta cheese and olive next! It is quite a thick batter so don't worry if it doesn't look too great before you cook it! I've also done a loaf and a round cake as well as the muffins.

HTH but feel free to ask anything else if you need to.
#167 of 177 Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks!!! Sounds sooo tasty!
#168 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Well, my little trip out of town did nothing good for me, diet-wise. I really need to not go see grandma until I get my eating under control. It kills me though that she's ragging on me about my weight after feeding me utter crap for dinner (it was already made when we got there, or else I would have suggested something else).

We had our dinner guest tonight, and dinner turned out very nicely. We had roast beef, hot crash potatoes, roasted veg (asparagus, carrots, brussel sprouts, leeks). And for dessert I made a pineapple "ice", fresh mango and strawberries. It was a perfect dessert - lovely and sweet and ice cold (it was nice and warm today), but not a speck of sugar anywhere. I added the strawberries as an afterthought, since the pineapple and mango alone were too monochromatic for me.
First off, I'd be WAY annoyed if anyone bugged me about my post pregnancy weight! Just wanted to say that!

And, I'd LOVE to learn what 'hot crash potatoes' are--they sound delish, and also, how do you make your pineapple ice?? Ummm--YUM! Can you make it w/ other fruit as well? It's SOOOO muggy and warm where I am today, I bet pineapple ice would have made my day much better!

Ooo--and congrats on the weight loss LEM and ZZ! Woo hoo!

I traditional foods
#169 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 AM

I got on the scale and after 2.5 weeks I have lost 5 pounds! It seems amazing to me. I am not starving myself. I eat when I want. I'm eating fruit, so I'm not super low carb or anything. I am so pleased.

I honestly didn't think anything like that would happen until I was more disciplined with how much I eat. I eat nuts and red meats and all the fruit and veggies I can stand. I even eat some dairy.

My temp is up. I temp alot because of TTC and my temp has been approx 1.5 degrees higher than normal.

I am really thankful to this thread and to the primal diet and MDA for all the help in this process of changing my eating habits.

Today, I didn't eat until 5:30, so I had a 23.5 hour fast.

dinner was
5 oz steak sliced over a huge bed of mixed spring greens, romaine, carrots, apple, avocado, almonds with home made balsamic apple vinaigrette.

also some cashews and almonds for good measure after dinner

That's it for today and I feel completely satisfied.

I still crave carbs like a fiend, but only when I am around them now or think about them too much. I am taking this like I would take being addicted to alcohol or smoking (I quit cigarettes in 2002). One day at a time. One minute at a time, sometimes. What matters is that I leave my addiction one day behind me every day. Eventually, like with smoking, I won't even want to eat the stuff anymore. Hopefully, at least!

#170 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 AM

Awesome GGL! I was just reading about taking L-Glutamine for sugar/carb cravings. Here is a thread on it from another forum...I'm thinking of trying it for my dh (and me too)--I'll lyk how it goes!

I traditional foods
#171 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
First off, I'd be WAY annoyed if anyone bugged me about my post pregnancy weight! Just wanted to say that!

And, I'd LOVE to learn what 'hot crash potatoes' are--they sound delish, and also, how do you make your pineapple ice?? Ummm--YUM! Can you make it w/ other fruit as well? It's SOOOO muggy and warm where I am today, I bet pineapple ice would have made my day much better!
Thanks for the support. My g'ma is severely fat phobic, and I've been heavy my entire life. So the ragging on my weight is nothing new (and this time she used the "excuse" of my DS to do it), just the fact that she made crap for dinner, and made dessert and then proceeded to rag me about it was severely hypocritical. If she'd given me the option, I would have much rather eaten scrambled eggs and a salad for dinner. As it was, I was eating foods I'd never allow in my house, and in quantities that have caused some severe cravings issues ever since.

As for the potatoes - I may have the name wrong, but they're from Pioneer Woman's blog. Basically you cook the potatoes (I steam them), lay them out on a sheet pan, smash them like pancakes, add some oil (I like to add a pat of butter to each one), some fresh herbs and roast them until they're crisp around the edges.

And the pineapple ice - super simple. Took 2 bags of frozen pineapple chunks, tossed them in the food processor, ran it until I could hear most of the big chunks were gone and then got it back into the freezer, quick like. Had a small dish of it by itself tonight (it's pushing 80 in here right now and it's midnight), and it was super refreshing. No reason it won't work with any other fruit that doesn't need sweetening. You just want to make sure that they're in chunks instead of big blocks when you toss them in the fp. Oh, and make sure you've cleaned out room int he freezer, have containers standing by and a spatula to get everything out of the FP and back into the freezer before it melts.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#172 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Awesome--those sound delish--will totally be making both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Thanks for the support. My g'ma is severely fat phobic, and I've been heavy my entire life. So the ragging on my weight is nothing new (and this time she used the "excuse" of my DS to do it), just the fact that she made crap for dinner, and made dessert and then proceeded to rag me about it was severely hypocritical.
Grrr...I've always disliked how folks somehow imagine they are being helpful by making (typically cruel and unhelpful) comments a/b others' weight. It's just not ever helpful IMO. I recall one of my grandmas saying things to me like, "Oh, you don't need another helping of that" often at dinner time (she lived w/ us for a bit) or calling me "thick" (in my young, vegetarian, extreme carb overload days). Made me want to hide in my room and binge eat personally. Making a healthy meal and offering it lovingly would probably be a much better, more effective way of helping a loved one lose weight. I'm sorry you're dealing w/ that! (And no offense to your grandma intended--I realize most folks feel like they are being helpful or showing their love by speaking in these ways...)

I traditional foods
#173 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm back here after a couple weeks! I wandered over to MDA, and got lost in all of it! Reading PB right now, and have been almost entirely grain free, sugar free and lower carb for a month. I haven't lost much weight after the (atkins) first week of the month, but definitely tightening up, feeling wonderful, and feeling healthier with my relationship to food.

I know I would probably drop weight faster without the red wine, but honestly, I am trying to build a way of living that is for the long haul, not just short term, and I (and my family) enjoy red wine with dinners. I have a glass most nights, 2 occasionally. Aiming for moderation.

I am working out Primal style. Needing to up the amount of "lots of slow movements" but I do run around with the kids a lot. Maybe walking 3-4 times a week, doing body weight workouts 2-3 times a week, and I have ran sprints once, 9 days ago, need to do that again once we replace the batteries in the stopwatch.

I started volunteering with my co-op in exchange for credit towards food! Very helpful now that I lost my job. So 4 hrs sorting produce on a friday afternoon= $40. Covered my produce share and a block of raw cheddar for my mom(babysitter...lol) And it's a workout! Between that (slow movement, lift heavy things) and a catering staff job last night (slow movement, lifting heavy things, "ninja" skills, avoiding dropping glasses while walking on uneven ground) I am feeling (tired and sore) but awesome and strong!

Ramble, ramble, ramble.

Food Today-

Breakfast- 930
Coffee with raw cream and milk, tea with cream 3 scrambled eggs, 3 strips bacon
(I was starving after only getting a piece of cheese for dinner last night)

Lunch-2:30
Pickle (bubbies) x 2
can of smoked oysters
ounce of raw cheddar
8 ounces kombucha

Dinner-will be around 7 or 7:30
Spicy Pork Italian Sausage (grilled)
Sauerkraut
roasted golden beets
salad with ACV and Flax oil
red wine

mmm

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#174 of 177 Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 PM

I this thread. Since this thread opened, I have been on MDA daily, almost finished reading Primal Blueprint, and looking forward to seeing how this lifestyle works for me!!

Edit: I guess we'll need a new thread for May!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#175 of 177 Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 PM

I'd love to read some reviews from those of you who have read Primal Blueprint...

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#176 of 177 Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenSLP View Post
I'd love to read some reviews from those of you who have read Primal Blueprint...

Me too, since I'm on the verge of ordering it myself..

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#177 of 177 Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM

I'm just finishing Primal Blueprint, and if you're interested in learning more about the PB lifestyle it's definitely worth reading! It gives you a really good overall understanding of the concepts, and often references you back to the blog.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page