April Primal/Paleo/Grain-free thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's spring!!!

How is everyone doing?

I know I find it so much easier to eat grain-free/primal when there is an abundance of greens and veg to eat.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#2 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM

I started slacking this past week and feel like crap, I need to be strong! My biggest thing is what can I eat pate on? Anyone have any grain free cracker recipes?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#3 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM

I was sick last month with the stomach flu and after 3 days of nausea and not eating made some rice. It was delicious, but I paid for it that night! Within 2 hours my stomach was so distended I looked like I was pregnant. I've been back on track and am feeling much better!
#4 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

A few grain free cracker recipes:

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/bellcrackers.html

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondwafers.html

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#5 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM

I am here! Feeling good- had some grain last week= tortilla chips- hadn't had any in forever. Thankfully it didn't trigger any cravings for more grain. Mostly doing great and exploring some recipes lately.

Oh, and for pate(which I desperately need to make as it has been forevr) last few times I have used celery and it was scrumptious!!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Erinz-Those red bell pepper crackers sound SO good, can't wait until bells are in season!

Crunchy mama-I will have to try celery. I tried carrots but they added a sweetness that didn't compliment very well.

This is what I am making for dinner. With no veg oil and lots of butter and CO. Also making a big ol' salad too. It smells super good!

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#7 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Subbing.

Today was my first grain-free day (did it briefly in the Fall.)

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#8 of 177 Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Subbing. I have had great success with being grain free. Hoping that reading this thread will help me get motivated to do it again. It was worth the effort!
#9 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 AM

made alfredo sauce tonight with giant sauted mushrooms and chicken and lots of salad and broccoli. Kids have a little fettucini, and i can't do dairy so everything separate for me. I'm craving chopped liver and plan to make it tomorrow, with hard cooked eggs lots of sauted liver in chicken fat and madeira wine. Mmmmmmm. Kids and DH are beggin for wings and I do a teryiaki sauce.

I think ill do pizza one night with my famous zucchini crust
#10 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 AM

Did you say zucchini crust?

#11 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 AM

Ugh! Had the fam over for a month and they do nothing but eat sugar, I wouldn't say that I 'binged' exactly but I'm up 7 lbs and haven't been able to make the numbers go down. Very bummed out. Extremely reduced appetite, fullness in the throat & still gaining weight. I think I may be iodine deficient? Anybody supp w/ iodine?
#12 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm here too! I've been off the comp a lot, but I'll definitely be lurking in this thread!

Still loving grain free. Been thinking to use some white rice flour to bread liver in (and fry it up--trying to find another way to get it in, and I figure the empty carbs will be worth the amazing nutrient density of the liver!!!) I just have a really hard time getting it in, but want to...

As far as iodine goes cc, have you checked out THE Iodine Thread? If you search the archives in health and healing you'll find it. LOTS of iodine info there. I felt like I came to the decision that I would utilize tested kelp for my iodine supp if I started, based on some WAPF info I read on things like lugol's...can't remember fully though. Every time I've started supping iodine (have used both lugol's and kelp) I've gotten detoxy-headaches, and I worry I'm moving bromide/bromine into my breastmilk, so I stop. I'm planning to try it when I'm done nursing...

I'd read lots (esp THE iodine thread) and make sure your detox pathways are well supported before trying to add it in...I'm a cautious lady though for sure!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#13 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
Did you say zucchini crust?
OMG it's so good, I shred a TON of zucchini in the FP, saute it in some olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, then put on a pan, top like pizza and bake at 450 for like 10 minutes until everything is starting to brown.
#14 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

FairyRae, what about nut flours for your breading?

I'm making a spicy shrimp stirfry for supper tonight. I serve it on a bed of mushroom "noodles". (I slice large portobellos thinly and saute them. Today I'll saute them in bacon fat and a bit of sesame oil for flavor! Mmmmmm!)

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#15 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Argh...I really need to be here too...highlighted by the fact that I have pretty much only eaten bread today and feel all grumpy and lacking motivation to do anything!

It's DS's birthday on Friday though and we are going out a lot and seeing family so I know it will just be too hard to stick to (I know I could do it if I really wanted to, but since I haven't started yet I am just going to wait until it's over and avoid carbs/grains as much as possible when I can but not stress about it until next week!) and I want to enjoy this time and not give myself extra hassle!

Anyway, I am marinating some heart at the moment and made chicken liver pate today so hoping that will at least give me a boost!

That shrimp sounds fantastic lil_earthmomma!
#16 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

I am eating low carb for a little weight loss and to get the insane food cravings undr control. Limiting alcohol as well. But doing low carb TF! I have eating TF more or less (and in varying degrees) for nearly 2 years.

Can I join you? I may not stay 100% grain free forever and always, but won't gt back to eating alot ever. I am gluten free as well. :-)

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#17 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
OMG it's so good, I shred a TON of zucchini in the FP, saute it in some olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, then put on a pan, top like pizza and bake at 450 for like 10 minutes until everything is starting to brown.
And no egg!?! OMG, I need to try that. Dd and I can't do eggs and it makes being grain free so difficult!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#18 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
FairyRae, what about nut flours for your breading?
Ds can't do nut or seed flours (of any kind) w/out reactions...at least not currently.

And coconut flour does not fry well IME so far...

I traditional foods
#19 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Do you think this would hold together ok w/ no cheese? Thanks Lisa!

I traditional foods
#20 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Ds can't do nut or seed flours (of any kind) w/out reactions...at least not currently.

Aw!

#21 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

i use arrowroot or tapioca flour. it is high carb but when used for lightly coating its no biggie to me.
#22 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Do you think this would hold together ok w/ no cheese? Thanks Lisa!
I don't use cheese. I forgot to add that I use an egg though, after i saute it and it cools a little. Can you do egg? I kind of eat mine with a knife and fork cause I pile it so high. If you make little ones like for kids they would be able to pick them up.
#23 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 PM

That zucchini pizza sounds awesome. I'm trying that tomorrow for lunch. We have been doing our own TF version of SCD/GAPS since the end of December and I feel really good. My gallbladder issues have resolved as long as I totally avoid all storebought meat and eggs and stick to pastured stuff. Any time I have the slightest hint of "fullness" like I did when I was having gallbladder issues, I take some ACV and its totally gone.

I took ds2 (who is turning 2 tomorrow!) to the pediatrician today and he's got double ear infections and sinusitis. Poor baby is just totally miserable so we are going to move his b-day party to this weekend. All the kids have been under the weather this past week so I am really worn out. I'm a bit nervous about ds2 having to take abx again but he is incredibly miserable and we've already tried home remedies. He's had ear infections since he was a tiny baby (his eardrums have ruptured in the past) and I know part of the reason he's got such a messed up gut is because of the frequent abx. He hasn't had one in over a year so I thought we were done with them but I guess not. I'm going to load him up on probiotics and bone broth and hope that we can make up for this later

In good news, I am SOOOO glad to see spring foods available. I can't tell you how sick I am of eating the same things over and over I got some garlic scapes, sprouting broccoli and kale from a local farm today along with tons of eggs Its amazing how much you appreciate the change in seasons when you eat locally and in season

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#24 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
i use arrowroot or tapioca flour. it is high carb but when used for lightly coating its no biggie to me.
OMG I totally didn't think of that! They fry ok? I'm totally using them! (I have some in my cupboard.) Thanks for the idea!!

I traditional foods
#25 of 177 Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I don't use cheese. I forgot to add that I use an egg though, after i saute it and it cools a little. Can you do egg? I kind of eat mine with a knife and fork cause I pile it so high. If you make little ones like for kids they would be able to pick them up.
We can do eggs so I'm totally trying it! Sounds way yummy!

I traditional foods
#26 of 177 Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I started slacking this past week and feel like crap, I need to be strong! My biggest thing is what can I eat pate on? Anyone have any grain free cracker recipes?
meeee too! i love pate but can't handle it on a spoon! It's my main grain indulgence to have sprouted toast with mustard and pate. I'd love another option!
#27 of 177 Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
meeee too! i love pate but can't handle it on a spoon! It's my main grain indulgence to have sprouted toast with mustard and pate. I'd love another option!
Meat! I love dipping cold meat into stuff!

Cold chicken into pate, cold ham into dijon mustard, bacon into dijon mustard and garlic etc etc etc.

As for grain free but not worrying about the carbs, nut flours make awesome crackers, even nuts themselves are yummy dipped in stuff.

Homemade potato chips are AWESOME too. Sweet potato chips... kale chips...

#28 of 177 Old 04-14-2010, 02:25 AM

I have to stop eating so many cold raw salads, I end up feeling like bloated crap. Or at least reduce the size. I've been just eatin like a horse lately.

I seriously made THE yummiest mushroom alfredo sauce and I just ate it over stir fried chicken strips and broccoli. Same for kids/DH but a little pasta for them. I have to say they ate FAR more of the stuff in ratio to the noodles.

I can' t do dairy so i make two batches, they just love the cream/parmesan thing and I don't see why not so I made mine with a little coconut milk and nutritional yeast, and chickpeas blended in my vitamix. It was SO good
#29 of 177 Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I can' t do dairy so i make two batches, they just love the cream/parmesan thing and I don't see why not so I made mine with a little coconut milk and nutritional yeast, and chickpeas blended in my vitamix. It was SO good
Would you please post both your alfredo recipes with some measurements? My alfredo sauces never turn out good. Thanks!!
#30 of 177 Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM

I did "alfredo" last night as well- dairy free and it was soooooooo scrumptious. I think it would have been richer w/ some coco milk but I was out. I served mine over zuccini noodles added some dairy free pesto from the other day and some carmelized leeks and shitakes and roasted broccoli- yummy- yummy = yummy!!! Mine was made from soaked cashews made into cashew milk, sea salt, nut yeast and sauteed garlic- simple but yummy. As I said I think a bit of coco milk in place of the water to make the cashew milk would have been perfect.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page