Natural Food Coloring? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What natural food coloring do you all use?

I know, traditionally, people probably didn't color many foods except special desserts. In the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Ma colored the butter in winter since it was so pale. She colored that with grated carrot which interestingly added some of the beta carotene missing from butter in winter.

The specific problem I have is that my toddler will not eat eggs unless they are green a la green eggs and ham. I wouldn't worry about her not eating eggs, but she is terribly picky (daddy is, too) and eggs are good and cheap. And she will eat them if I add a drop or two of blue food coloring.

Where should I look?
#2 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 PM

I don't know of any blue food coloring that is natural, but some health food stores carry green food coloring made from spinach. If you can't find any locally, you might be able to juice some spinach and mix it in with the eggs to make them green.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#3 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 02:59 PM

I have chopped some spinach really finely before and added them to eggs to get my toddler to eat them (also a-la green eggs and ham ). Plus, he usually will not eat greens so I figured it was a good way to get him to eat that food group too.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#4 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check out the India Tree brand Nature's Colors line (not all the lines, just this one). The colors are Feingold-compliant, they sell a 3-pack of gel-type food colors.

http://www.indiatree.com/products/de...ors/index.html
#5 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 AM

the india's ink are pretty good. they're only pastels, but they work nice. We had some with some weird name (deer tree or moose foot or something) that were far better, and I loved them, no clue what they were though. they came in little glass jars and were vegetable based.

(fwiw, I would juice spinach as well. I was going to use beet juice last time (for frosting) and ended up using turmeric, which worked, though it was a little flavorful.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM

if you cook purple cabbage for dye, it makes a bright dye that turns the shell of white eggs blue, so it may also help yellow scrambled eggs turn green...it might be an experiment, though!

Katie
#7 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Stick the eggs in a blender with a handful of spinach and they'll cook up bright green. http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2008...i-am-eggs.html

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#8 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Spinach is the perfect solution for this picky kid!

I'll try the other natural food colorings for other stuff. I can't live without EVER having buttercream icing, after all. The point is to eat well *most* of the time, right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page