Water Kefir: Do you use Molasses? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use molasses in your water kefir?
Yes I use molasses 1 12.50%
No, I don't use molasses 7 87.50%
other 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just started doing water kefir. I used raw sugar and 1 tsp molasses, as the recipe stated.

However, we've discovered we don't really like the molasses taste.

Does everyone use it? Do I have to? The grains did really well and all (doubled in size after just one time), but it's a waste if we don't like the flavour.

Thoughts?

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I make my water kefir with sucanat. I've also tried a single batch made with sorghum syrup and I liked it... it seems like the grains did well, but I didn't do it repeatedly to see how they fare over time.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#3 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 PM

HI! You already know my answer (I don't use it), but if your grains doubled in size after one batch, I might add it a few times to get more grains. I want to be able to divide mine to make a batch of water kefir and a batch of juice kefir at the same time.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Molasses provides minerals and the grains reproduce faster if you give 1 tablespoon (or less).

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM

I voted no because when I make water kefir to drink myself, I use organic evaporated cane crystals. I really hate the way molasses water kefir tastes and if I don't like it, I'm not very motivated to drink it

However, minerals are really good for the grains and so when we produce/grow water kefir grains for our site, we grow them using rapadura--I've tried everything and that by far produces the healthiest, happiest and fastest growing kefir grains.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So, basically..they WILL produce water kefir and reproduce (but just more slowly) without molasses. Since we don't care for the taste maybe I will just use molasses every once in a while or just a very small amount.

Thanks!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#7 of 8 Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM

I use maple syrup, grade C so there is a bunch of minerals in there. My water kefir does fine without molasses. But if I were using plain ol sugar, I would use just a tiny bit of molasses.
#8 of 8 Old 05-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
, we grow them using rapadura--I've tried everything and that by far produces the healthiest, happiest and fastest growing kefir grains.
You know, maybe that is why they used to grow like crazy! I haven't been using rapadura this year and they've slowed down. I was losing my mind trying to figure it out.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page